Page 87 of 174 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ty… c10, jn, n98.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-05-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also there were reports that one of the reasons for the hold up in signing Hedges was our tax rates compared to certain state taxes (where he had options). We can't compete with some of them.

I also forgot to mention the climate. Not everyone wants to play in Canada in March.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Surveys of people who have no experience here. Talking to actual people who have visited and/or have family here changes that opinion. There was a recent follow up survey to that one (we're dropping in that one too) that many new immigrants after 5 years in Canada regret coming. We're not all peaches and flowers anymore. We have a decent level of gun & overall crime safety compared to the U.S (and dropping) and barely average healthcare (also dropping) and that's about it.
    toronto recently named one of the top 25 cities in the world to live and work.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-is...at%20made%20it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also there were reports that one of the reasons for the hold up in signing Hedges was our tax rates compared to certain state taxes (where he had options).
    link to reports on hedges?

link to survey of immigrants regretting moving here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    toronto recently named one of the top 25 cities in the world to live and work.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-is...at%20made%20it.
    If the drop in quality of living here in the GTA isn’t palpable for you compared to 5 or 10 years ago you’ve probably got blinders on. Traffic everywhere, prices skyrocketing, crowded no matter where you turn. We’re having to increase immigration numbers to never-before-seen heights to keep up population growth because of the amount of people leaving; the brain drain is frightening. This is a TFC forum so not gonna go further on this but enjoy your comfy CP24 article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this isn't true lol, decent accountants can make any tax differences between countries disappear in a second.

canada is one of the most desirable countries to live in in the world according to most surveys.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/l...report-5882826
    Overall really attractive country, but also slightly distinct especially under current governments.

You can see here overall very good, but really struggle in terms of affordability and is mixed-bag on others. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ional-rankings

Having a really strong team in place to integrate players (all players not just the DPs as they do well already) is important to attracting international talent. This allows players to integrate quickly and get a decent accountant to the point above. But has also been shown by the literature to positively impact performance when they join.

Think it's important to note that while Toronto is an amazing city, it doesn't have the immediate sexy draw of a LA, Miami or NYC or perhaps even a Chicago. Doesn't mean Toronto is worse just more of a sell, which makes it more important to have that player welfare/integration aspect in place when trying to get a guy who's never even been to Canada to move from Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While people were discussing our city ratings

Mavinga is gone...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Overall really attractive country, but also slightly distinct especially under current governments.

You can see here overall very good, but really struggle in terms of affordability and is mixed-bag on others. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ional-rankings

Having a really strong team in place to integrate players (all players not just the DPs as they do well already) is important to attracting international talent. This allows players to integrate quickly and get a decent accountant to the point above. But has also been shown by the literature to positively impact performance when they join.

Think it's important to note that while Toronto is an amazing city, it doesn't have the immediate sexy draw of a LA, Miami or NYC or perhaps even a Chicago. Doesn't mean Toronto is worse just more of a sell, which makes it more important to have that player welfare/integration aspect in place when trying a get a guy who's never even been to Canada to move from Europe.

i agree, with all of this.

we'll never get the players looking entirely for flash, that's why our greatest success has been with dedicated family men coming here, it's a great place to raise a family.

i just took issue with the baseless insinuation that being in canada is somehow a big hurdle for us, despite us literally adding a top MLS American free agent a couple weeks ago lol, and having signed countless top end american players over the years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Mavinga says goodbye...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

link to reports on hedges?

link to survey of immigrants regretting moving here?
    Hedges was in Tweets by the US MLS writers when he was choosing between Toronto & Cinci. I can't find it. Too long ago.

The survey is on Canada.ca and is mostly driven by our high taxes/low wages, poor healthcare, and racism.

This is based on non-DP or even TAM types. Like I was coming from somewhere smaller like Scandinavia on $130K then that $130K will go a lot further in Florida or Texas than in Toronto. These things do come in to play if you plan to live in a city and stay on the team for a number of years.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 01-05-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    While people were discussing our city ratings

Mavinga is gone...
    Give me one more bonafide CB (preferably under 30), a left back, keeper and we're looking tidy as an XI.

I'm far less worried about a striker than am I even getting depth pieces to cover fullback, DM and the wing. Insigne and Berna will score goals, but it means nothing if an injury or poor performance tears apart our ability to defend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give me one more bonafide CB (preferably under 30), a left back, keeper and we're looking tidy as an XI.

I'm far less worried about a striker than am I even getting depth pieces to cover fullback, DM and the wing. Insigne and Berna will score goals, but it means nothing if an injury or poor performance tears apart our ability to defend.
    I think CB & GK should be jobs #1 & #1A for Bob & Bill and then a DM followed by the LB.

Can't and shouldn't count on MB full time anymore and although he is as durable as hell, an injury isn't out of the question at his age.

I could live with giving a rested & more acclimatized JJ another shot before moving him on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, with all of this.

we'll never get the players looking entirely for flash, that's why our greatest success has been with dedicated family men coming here, it's a great place to raise a family.

i just took issue with the baseless insinuation that being in canada is somehow a big hurdle for us, despite us literally adding a top MLS American free agent a couple weeks ago lol, and having signed countless top end american players over the years.
    See what you mean for sure.

I think insinuation is that Canada can be a big hurdle for some. If I'm any of these I strongly consider against moving here (some Canada specific, some not): right of centre, single and looking for fun, hate the cold/snow, can't drive, can't reasonably afford a condo/house downtown on my own, value on-demand quick healthcare regardless of cost, want direct flight access to certain parts of the world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges was in Tweets by the US MLS writers when he was choosing between Toronto & Cinci. I can't find it. Too long ago.

The survey is on Canada.ca and is mostly driven by our high taxes/low wages, poor healthcare, and racism.
    can you link the second one?

and ive just done a fairly exhaustive twitter search on the hedges tax thing and it doesn't exist.

there were some people speculating on taxes, but there were never any actual reports that it had any bearing.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-05-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think CB & GK should be jobs #1 & #1A for Bob & Bill and then a DM followed by the LB.

Can't and shouldn't count on MB full time anymore and although he is as durable as hell, an injury isn't out of the question at his age.

I could live with giving a rested & more acclimatized JJ another shot before moving him on.
    Agreed for sure.

1a. CB Starting
    1b. GK Starting
    2. LB Starting
    3. DM Bench (Capable of Starting)
    4. Winger Bench
    5. FB Bench
    6. ST Starting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed for sure.

1a. CB Starting
    1b. GK Starting
    2. LB Starting

- Starting Midfield

3. DM Bench (Capable of Starting)
    4. Winger Bench
    5. FB Bench
    6. ST Starting
    more important then bench depth - and i will hold management accountable for getting rid of all TFCS midfield depth- they know the position they put themselves in this needs to be addressed this window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And Mavinga says goodbye...

seems like he wanted to be here- at least his post last week on IG is accurate about moving lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt we just sign a top free agent CB and re-sign another top free agent CM who had offers from europe?

hedges had like a quarter of the league after him and cited playing with LI and FB as a big reason why he came.

you got an article or link for reference?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    If the drop in quality of living here in the GTA isn’t palpable for you compared to 5 or 10 years ago you’ve probably got blinders on. Traffic everywhere, prices skyrocketing, crowded no matter where you turn. We’re having to increase immigration numbers to never-before-seen heights to keep up population growth because of the amount of people leaving; the brain drain is frightening. This is a TFC forum so not gonna go further on this but enjoy your comfy CP24 article.

They were one of the many north american news outlets that - put fear in my group of people going to Qatar for the world cup- cant show elbows/knees- no liquor - none of which was true- I wouldnt rely on CP 24 either- they have reported many inaccuracies on the website and on their channel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I learned something about this wearing Canada colours every day at the WC.

Canada is this nice, bland country that nobody seriously thinks about. In world soccer, we kind of don’t exist. We are this blank page… even to the Americans and Mexicans. Nobody thinks we play it, they think (to the extent they think about it) that all Canadian soccer players are dual nationals developed elsewhere. I had numerous pleasant conversations with strangers on the metro etc about this. Also, to the extent they know Canadian cities, they know Vancouver and Montreal better.

Toronto is neither an asset or a liability. It is a void.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    you got an article or link for reference?
    https://www.torontofc.ca/video/lates...cember-20-2022

7:53

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I feel like I learned something about this wearing Canada colours every day at the WC.

Canada is this nice, bland country that nobody seriously thinks about. In world soccer, we kind of don’t exist. We are this blank page… even to the Americans and Mexicans. Nobody thinks we play it, they think (to the extent they think about it) that all Canadian soccer players are dual nationals developed elsewhere. I had numerous pleasant conversations with strangers on the metro etc about this. Also, to the extent they know Canadian cities, they know Vancouver and Montreal better.

Toronto is neither an asset or a liability. It is a void.

My experience was after the Belgium game- walking in Souq Wakif - we had many come up to us and show respect saying Canada should have won.

Was a great experience- I actually had someone stop me in the mall the day after Canada scored their first goal -letting me know davies was in the mall- showed me a picture- thank goodness for that person - i met davies and got him to sign my authentic white jersey i wore for the first time.

I did have Morrocan fans think mention something about hockey or was it croatian fans I cant recall.

Also did meet someone from Pakistan who knew toronto and more specifically missisauga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks! this is nice to hear! hopefully more can see their quality and opportunity.

Only thing that worries me I would guess over 75% of the goals scored by the three italians were more individual brilliant performance then a team led goal- this i dont think can be sustained long term- we need a creator/provider for these wingers.

Im assuming VV would come on for bradley when TFC lets more than 2 or 3 goals- ( at this point which is to be expected as average goals against has been over 60 --3 out of the last 4 years.

Hopefully TFC gets a starting solid goalie and CB soon.

Lets get it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks! this is nice to hear! hopefully more can see their quality and opportunity.

Only thing that worries me I would guess over 75% of the goals scored by the three italians were more individual brilliant performance then a team led goal- this i dont think can be sustained long term- we need a creator/provider for these wingers.

Im assuming VV would come on for bradley when TFC lets more than 2 or 3 goals- ( at this point which is to be expected as average goals against has been over 60 --3 out of the last 4 years.

Hopefully TFC gets a starting solid goalie and CB soon.

Lets get it.
    yeah, the defence and gk should be #1 priority.

if we get a half decent defence (including CM depth) then having insigne and berna should win us most games

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada is not too attractive to anyone who has family members needing healthcare. Not so much a barrier for the players themselves (MLSE has their own stable of top notch medical experts).
    A lot of Canadians have no idea how bad our healthcare is compared to most industrialized countries, especially in Europe, because we only look next door at that disaster that is the US.

I lived for several years in France, never had to wait more than 25 minutes in a hospital waiting room. Pharmacare included in the health system (there was a small copay and you had to file for reimbursement). System included things we would consider "extras" like mineral baths for certain conditions. Family doctors easily accessible with lots of choice. Our system looks like crap compared to France, indeed when compared to most of continental Europe.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-05-2023 at 01:53 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Canada is not too attractive to anyone who has family members needing healthcare. Not so much a barrier for the players themselves (MLSE has their own stable of top notch medical experts).
    A lot of Canadians have no idea how bad our healthcare is compared to most industrialized countries, especially in Europe, because we only look next door at that disaster that is the US.

I lived for several years in France, never had to wait more than 25 minutes in a hospital waiting room. Pharmacare included in the health system (there was a small copay and you had to file for reimbursement). System included things we would consider "extras" like mineral baths for certain conditions. Family doctors easily accessible with lots of choice. Our system looks like crap compared to France, indeed when compared to most of continental Europe.
    this is all very true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems like he wanted to be here- at least his post last week on IG is accurate about moving lol.
    Trusting B&M know what they are doing.
    Seems to me a whole lotta ‘Two in the bush are better than the one in hand’ going on this past year.
    Please, God, let it all work out for TFC’s / our sake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

when i found my new family doctor 5 years ago it was amazing- as it got busier and good reviews it takes now close to an hour

i also go on days to see my family physician and book early in the am- last time was 4pm and i was out by 4.45pm

in qatar a fellow canadian in our group chat needed meds and said he was in and out within 5 minutes- hard for me to believe lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As enthralling as this health care talk is, I just need a drop of one of those sweet, sweet transfer rumors...
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-05-2023 at 02:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i found my new family doctor 5 years ago it was amazing- as it got busier and good reviews it takes now close to an hour

i also go on days to see my family physician and book early in the am- last time was 4pm and i was out by 4.45pm

in qatar a fellow canadian in our group chat needed meds and said he was in and out within 5 minutes- hard for me to believe lol.
    qatar by virtually every ranking has worse healthcare than canada.

by a significant margin if you are a migrant worker (85% of the population).

https://ceoworld.biz/2021/04/27/reve...-systems-2021/

https://photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html