Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We effectively need:
    A starting keeper
    A starting right back (as Richie is only guaranteed until July)
    A starting left back.
    A starting centre half
    A starting quality number six
    A starting quality striker
    A backup who can play left back and preferably right back
    A backup who can play both or either wing competitively

To me, at a minimum to ensure this year is competitive, we still need about eight players.
    If we can agree that this team needs 7 to 8 additions, and given the difficulties this team has in signing players, realistically can we expect 2023 to be anything but another lost season? I don't have the confidence in management to bring in the number of players needed to make this team a contender this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm hoping for some no rumors/sagas signings this week. Just boom done, announced.

Like Cheyrou and Vazquez. We only found out when it was announced.

Or Clint Irwin - Davidson said it was happening and it was announced 15mins later
    Cheyrou was rumoured before he was announced. VV, you are right, came out of the blue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm one of the patient bois on the forum... but if we don't get something done about this backfield situation I might go ballistic, JMR is a lotto ticket, not the solution. Oddly enough I feel good about MacNaughton but please, for the love of God, get depth. And a lot of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning came out and stated he wanted all pieces in place for February leg of pre-season. Happy to give it time.

That being said, I’ll be antsy if no or minimal moves by mid-Jan, just because there are SO MANY players to sign and it’ll become impossible to meet that deadline at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    It seemed implied given the general level of impatience around signings needed this window. As well as the spots people keep listing as postions of need. RB is not a position of need this window. We have a starter and a backup. It was not necessarily meant as a criticism of your post or opinion specifically. More of a general response.
    Yeah RB isn’t a piece for this window but 100% for the summer whether that be permanently signing Laryea or getting his replacement.

Alternatively you can sign his replacement now and get the bench piece in summer when he leaves, but isn’t realistic given the number of needs right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Manning came out and stated he wanted all pieces in place for February leg of pre-season. Happy to give it time.

That being said, I’ll be antsy if no or minimal moves by mid-Jan, just because there are SO MANY players to sign and it’ll become impossible to meet that deadline at that point.
    I think this is the right perspective. We had good momentum in December with some departures, retaining Oso, and bringing in Hedges and Vazquez. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there needs to be a few moves made in the next week or two. We're really starting to see other MLS teams make moves this week, so hopefully we aren't far behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other Forbes says Sean Johnson will either sign with Toronto or resign with NYCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    The other Forbes says Sean Johnson will either sign with Toronto or resign with NYCFC
    My namesake has had a few TFC scoops before. Mainly Salcedo. I really hope he does have a source here because Sean Johnson is an immense upgrade on anyone we have had here in many, many years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    If there’s any truth in this, he’ll likely sign with us. NYCFC has done everything possible to tear apart their cup winning team and start again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yeah RB isn’t a piece for this window but 100% for the summer whether that be permanently signing Laryea or getting his replacement.

Alternatively you can sign his replacement now and get the bench piece in summer when he leaves, but isn’t realistic given the number of needs right now.
    I’d like to know what assurances we have that Laryea won’t be recalled and sold on to another team. If that’s settled, then fine, summer window it is.

Because otherwise, to me it looks like he wants to go elsewhere, Forrest wants to clear the deck, and he might have interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    My namesake has had a few TFC scoops before. Mainly Salcedo. I really hope he does have a source here because Sean Johnson is an immense upgrade on anyone we have had here in many, many years.
    He was also first on Osorio earlier this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean johnson would very an incredible signing.

Please get it done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Sean johnson would very an incredible signing.

Please get it done
    His save percentage last year wasn't that good, about 66% as I recall. He has a history of the odd boner. But he wins lots of games on his own.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson made $550,000 last year. Bono Base $525,000 Guaranteed $557,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think he is a bit over rated,sure he would be a upgrade,but so would joe bendik at this point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Sean Johnson is the MAK of goalkeepers. Make of that what you will…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of us are sitting here wondering why there are no new signings, given the number of deficiencies and lack of depth in the squad. However maybe mgmt doesn't see it that way. Perhaps the only additional signings in this window will be a starting keeper and one or two more pieces, with the squad then finalized in July.

This would explain the lack of activity. It would not surprise me in the least if that were the plan.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 01-04-2023 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Below the DP level, we are not spending a ridiculous amount anymore.

&

At the DP level, we are currently getting value for that $.

&

We have significant holes in the roster that need filling out.
    My point is that we are spending an absurd amount on our designated players, but have a very thin roster outside of that, TFC need to get to it otherwise it's a huge waste.

Yeah of course we are getting "value" for money in that they are performing, but as a team we are still behind.

Anyways, I think everyone should judge the off-season once camp really starts in February.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-04-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Many of us are sitting here wondering why there are no new signings, given the number of deficiencies and lack of depth in the squad. However maybe mgmt doesn't see it that way. Perhaps the only additional signings in this window will be a starting keeper and one or two more pieces, with the squad then finalized in July.

This would explain the lack of activity. It would not surprise me in the least if that were the plan.
    i would be ecstatic if we got a starting keeper and 1 or 2 more pieces in the next few weeks.but im not holding my breath

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JJ seems to have left Spain.
    A return to Toronto/MLS for TFC pre-season camp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As suggested, I wonder what these two are thinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reply is how I'm feeling and made me smile/cry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    His save percentage last year wasn't that good, about 66% as I recall. He has a history of the odd boner. But he wins lots of games on his own.
    he does.

he's also been there, done that, and almost singlehandedly won NYCFC the MLS cup in 2021 with his penalty heroics.

he's also way better at marshalling a backling than any gk we've had in last few years.

please get it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The disciplined cone of silence surrounding Johnson's and Callens' decisions/destinations makes me optimistic BB/TFC just might be in the mix.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an axis of hedges and johnson would from macnaughton and bono is about as big a leap you can make in MLS without using a DP spot.

get it done please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson made $550,000 last year. I think MLS allows a max raise of 10-20% on free agent signings with a new club, which would mean we can offer him something like $605-660,000, while there's no restriction on current teams. So, if NYCFC is willing to offer him something like $750k+, we might not even have a chance. I'm hopeful we can get him, just hope MLS rules aren't what prevent us from doing so.

Or maybe they really like one of their catcher prospects at AAA (bad Yankee Stadium baseball stadium joke there lol) and will let him go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/JoeNardi/status/1610734144379551746

NYCFC guy having a dialogue with another fan, expecting SJ to leave to toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Sean Johnson made $550,000 last year. I think MLS allows a max raise of 10-20% on free agent signings with a new club, which would mean we can offer him something like $605-660,000, while there's no restriction on current teams. So, if NYCFC is willing to offer him something like $750k+, we might not even have a chance. I'm hopeful we can get him, just hope MLS rules aren't what prevent us from doing so.

Or maybe they really like one of their catcher prospects at AAA (bad Yankee Stadium baseball stadium joke there lol) and will let him go.
    As an older player does he want to be involved in a full rebuild or have another shot at a title. That’s the question. I like our chances.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    As an older player does he want to be involved in a full rebuild or have another shot at a title. That’s the question. I like our chances.
    yep, NYCFC are in full rebuild mode and are still playing in a baseball stadium for the remainder of SJ career.

if he joins toronto, they are a few pieces away from being a contender. and he knows how great BMO field can be first hand.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    an axis of hedges and johnson would from macnaughton and bono is about as big a leap you can make in MLS without using a DP spot.

get it done please.
    Hard pass for me his positional play is only fair while his ball distribution is only one step better then Bono, I would tell Bob Bradley to wait until July and get Marco Sportiello from Serie A club Atalanta no glaring weakness’s and can be had at a million a year only 30 years old