Page 84 of 174 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the expectation of Toronto FC this year: gain more points?? make it to playoffs?? win MLS Cup/Supporters Shield?? so far it seems like we are short in our roster so hopefully signings happen soon, or it will at least take 10 games to get into a groove, and we might of lost valuable points on the table, i am hopeful for TFC executing these deals soon, or its going to be another tough season ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, this is basically what our current depth chart is - I just wrote it down to visualize it. Wow we really really have no depth. (I know it's not exactly like this, since positions/formations are fluid, I just tried to fit every spot with a sub [I know Vazquez will never replace Bradley at DM, Kaye/Oso would shift, etc]). We have 7 open roster spots (23 of 30 filled)
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-04-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    So, this is basically what our current depth chart is - I just wrote it down to visualize it. Wow we really really have no depth. (I know it's not exactly like this, since positions/formations are fluid, I just tried to fit every spot with a sub [I know Vazquez will never replace Bradley at DM, Kaye/Oso would shift, etc]). We have 7 open roster spots
    Yeahhhh..... that's kind of terrifying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, this is basically what our current depth chart is - I just wrote it down to visualize it. Wow we really really have no depth. (I know it's not exactly like this, since positions/formations are fluid, I just tried to fit every spot with a sub [I know Vazquez will never replace Bradley at DM, Kaye/Oso would shift, etc]). We have 7 open roster spots
    This is very useful.

Holy crap. We have 9 holes to fill. Maybe 10.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    what is the expectation of Toronto FC this year: gain more points?? make it to playoffs?? win MLS Cup/Supporters Shield?? so far it seems like we are short in our roster so hopefully signings happen soon, or it will at least take 10 games to get into a groove, and we might of lost valuable points on the table, i am hopeful for TFC executing these deals soon, or its going to be another tough season ahead
    Anything short of a top 4 finish in the east, and not getting past the second round in the playoffs is a failure.

TFC is spending a ridiculous amount of money and yet we are still short at least 4-5 quality starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, despite the above half-empty depth-chart ...

Only 2 more days until players report for training camp!!!

Are you psyched?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d put Vazquez behind MAK or Osorio. Don’t think we really have anyone behind (or in front) of Bradley. If not Mendez, who is a high quality in-MLS number 6 we could trade for? Hopefully our goalkeeper situation is clear before training camp. Think something happens this week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...TFC is spending a ridiculous amount of money and yet we are still short at least 4-5 quality starters.
    Below the DP level, we are not spending a ridiculous amount anymore.

&

At the DP level, we are currently getting value for that $.

&

We have significant holes in the roster that need filling out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeahhhh..... that's kind of terrifying.

lol no wonder i have so much anxiety right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is very useful.

you think thats possible in one window? we been told to be patient- this is the third window now- and we need a whole team lol.

i want to believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is very useful.

Maybe the factor we all under rating is how quick the growth of youth players can be. Personally, I’m very skeptical and think it solves 1-2 spots max (but more realistic zero given our inability to develop players)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Expectations on management given resource advantage over the league and the level they were allowed gut and rebuild is nothing short of being one of the teams who looks like they can win the cup, anything less than that is failure. Don't have to win it, but we need to be a contender

Reality? If we don't have quite a few astute signings lined up I don't see how, even with the DPs we have, that we can get there. Let's hope this thread gets very busy, very quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Expectations on management given resource advantage over the league and the level they were allowed gut and rebuild is nothing short of being one of the teams who looks like they can win the cup, anything less than that is failure. Don't have to win it, but we need to be a contender

Reality? If we don't have quite a few astute signings lined up I don't see how, even with the DPs we have, that we can get there. Let's hope this thread gets very busy, very quickly
    We effectively need:
    A starting keeper
    A starting right back (as Richie is only guaranteed until July)
    A starting left back.
    A starting centre half
    A starting quality number six
    A starting quality striker
    A backup who can play left back and preferably right back
    A backup who can play both or either wing competitively

To me, at a minimum to ensure this year is competitive, we still need about eight players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe the factor we all under rating is how quick the growth of youth players can be. Personally, I’m very skeptical and think it solves 1-2 spots max (but more realistic zero given our inability to develop players)
    It solves backup right back, right now, as to me JMR is the only one of the kids who routinely doesn't embarrass himself. Big gains from Nelson last year playing inside but again, not starting quality. The read just isn't there.

Pearlman, Antonoglu, Franklin and Rothrock all look ready to at least contribute but if we lose someone long-term, they'd be fat in the fire, I imagine.

EDIT: On a depressing sideline, Noble Okello had so much talent. I believe Frankfurt offered us 500K for him as a seventeen-year-old. Imagine the kind of career he could be having now if we'd taken it. Maybe he'd have washed out there, too, but I can't help but feel TFC fails a lot of these players.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-04-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We effectively need:
    A starting keeper
    A starting right back (as Richie is only guaranteed until July)
    A starting left back.
    A starting centre half
    A starting quality number six
    A starting quality striker
    A backup who can play left back and preferably right back
    A backup who can play both or either wing competitively

To me, at a minimum to ensure this year is competitive, we still need about eight players.
    and a replacement for bradley when he cant go the full 90- so 9 total oh my gosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It solves backup right back, right now, as to me JMR is the only one of the kids who routinely doesn't embarrass himself. Big gains from Nelson last year playing inside but again, not starting quality. The read just isn't there.

Pearlman, Antonoglu, Franklin and Rothrock all look ready to at least contribute but if we lose someone long-term, they'd be fat in the fire, I imagine.

EDIT: On a depressing sideline, Noble Okello had so much talent. I believe Frankfurt offered us 500K for him as a seventeen-year-old. Imagine the kind of career he could be having now if we'd taken it. Maybe he'd have washed out there, too, but I can't help but feel TFC fails a lot of these players.

they been speaking about the youth since 2018- does TFC even have any good development coaches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    and a replacement for bradley when he cant go the full 90- so 9 total oh my gosh
    Jloome has a starting number six in there. That’s really what we need. So 8 still. Easy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping for some no rumors/sagas signings this week. Just boom done, announced.

Like Cheyrou and Vazquez. We only found out when it was announced.

Or Clint Irwin - Davidson said it was happening and it was announced 15mins later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saying we can't wait till summer for a replacement for Richie is more than a bit disingenuous. We can definitely wait. Unless Forrest is going to recall him early we have a RB til the secondary window. By then we may even have discovered that JMR is more than competent. Six months is a long time.
    Richie's first season we went from auro to Richie starting in less time than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm hoping for some no rumors/sagas signings this week. Just boom done, announced.

Like Cheyrou and Vazquez. We only found out when it was announced.

Or Clint Irwin - Davidson said it was happening and it was announced 15mins later
    One starter signing this week would be nice. I’d really like to see our starting goalkeeper situation sorted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Saying we can't wait till summer for a replacement for Richie is more than a bit disingenuous. We can definitely wait. Unless Forrest is going to recall him early we have a RB til the secondary window. By then we may even have discovered that JMR is more than competent. Six months is a long time.
    Richie's first season we went from auro to Richie starting in less time than that.
    Where did I say we can't wait until summer?

I said we needed a replacement ready because he's going in July. That doesn't mean we have to sign them in this window.

I have a hard time realistically seeing JMR as a starter, but if it happens, great. Better be prepared otherwise, though, and for Richie to be priced out of us competing, giving that multiple Championship side are already interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seemed implied given the general level of impatience around signings needed this window. As well as the spots people keep listing as postions of need. RB is not a position of need this window. We have a starter and a backup. It was not necessarily meant as a criticism of your post or opinion specifically. More of a general response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    It seemed implied given the general level of impatience around signings needed this window. As well as the spots people keep listing as postions of need. RB is not a position of need this window. We have a starter and a backup. It was not necessarily meant as a criticism of your post or opinion specifically. More of a general response.
    Oh, no doubt. We're all anxious because of their past performance, let's be honest. Last year this time, and the year before that, we were anticipating a dm, a defensive anchor, a striker.

And what we've had has been pretty shit since 2018, so tension is up there.

Realistically, to be as competitive as possible, they need to sign between six and eight players. But if we got four of those done before the start of the season, we'd already probably be competitive, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the way the FO has clamped down on rumours… I won’t be surprised if we see a flurry of activity all at once and coming out of now where. If not we have a huge problem as everyone has discussed. I think the DP will come in the summer when it’s easier to get a free agent instead of having to pay a transfer fee

this is just my speculation and I have zero knowledge of anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Okello, I think there’s probably room for blame on both sides. He never really pushed it the way he should have but the club didn’t exactly set him on a path for success.

At the point TFC turned down the German offer his agent should have been camping out on the GM’s lawn stating “play my guy or he’s gone”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Re: Okello, I think there’s probably room for blame on both sides. He never really pushed it the way he should have but the club didn’t exactly set him on a path for success.

At the point TFC turned down the German offer his agent should have been camping out on the GM’s lawn stating “play my guy or he’s gone”
    Yeah, agreed. We got him one loan in Denmark, where he reportedly did well. So maybe he's just a young guy who needs a system team, and very few MLS squads are system teams. We play loose and individual over here, because of the world influence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go bold and say what we should do -- although maybe the league wouldn't allow it -- is throw a shit-ton of cash at LA Galaxy and buy Dejan Joveljic as our third DP.

The dude is a dead-cert top level striker. He had 11 goals on just 34 shots last year as a late sub, and put 22 on target. He had SEVENTEEN IN THIRTY TWO at Frankfurt in the Bundesliga the two years prior to that.

And yet in LA he's behind Chicarito, despite being a more dangerous striker.

They have him as a youth DP, I believe. But he's being under-utilized and undervalued there. Given them $10M for him and make him our third DP. Dude will score 20 every year for the two or three years we keep him, before selling at a profit (frankly, he's already top-level proven. If anyone in Europe paid attention to MLS he'd already be gone, as he's a) already done the biz as a 21 year old, b) a former Euro golden boy nominee, so already a somewhat known commodity.

Might as well try, at least. If I'm him and I spend another year sitting behind Chicarito, I want out of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go bold and say what we should do -- although maybe the league wouldn't allow it -- is throw a shit-ton of cash at LA Galaxy and buy Dejan Joveljic as our third DP.

The dude is a dead-cert top level striker. He had 11 goals on just 34 shots last year as a late sub, and put 22 on target. He had SEVENTEEN IN THIRTY TWO at Frankfurt in the Bundesliga the two years prior to that.

And yet in LA he's behind Chicarito, despite being a more dangerous striker.

They have him as a youth DP, I believe. But he's being under-utilized and undervalued there. Given them $10M for him and make him our third DP. Dude will score 20 every year for the two or three years we keep him, before selling at a profit (frankly, he's already top-level proven. If anyone in Europe paid attention to MLS he'd already be gone, as he's a) already done the biz as a 21 year old, b) a former Euro golden boy nominee, so already a somewhat known commodity.

Might as well try, at least. If I'm him and I spend another year sitting behind Chicarito, I want out of MLS.
    That would be brilliant. Still no idea why Vanney can’t work him into the starting lineup. Somehow I hope it’s something our Sporting Director and Manning have at least thought of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, this is basically what our current depth chart is - I just wrote it down to visualize it. Wow we really really have no depth. (I know it's not exactly like this, since positions/formations are fluid, I just tried to fit every spot with a sub [I know Vazquez will never replace Bradley at DM, Kaye/Oso would shift, etc]). We have 7 open roster spots (23 of 30 filled)
    This is a last place team right here. God help us if one of the Italians or Osorio go down with a long-term injury. We need 3-4 starters + 2-3 depth players.

I fear we will only sign 2-4 new players before the season starts and Bob will say "it might take another window to complete the project"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have him as a youth DP, I believe. But he's being under-utilized and undervalued there. Given them $10M for him and make him our third DP.
    Are intra-league transfers even possible in MLS? Or is it only trades? Technically MLS owns all the contracts and completes all the transfers. MLS can't really buy him from themselves. Then again, MLS allows intra-league loans, which are kind of the same as a transfer. I guess all MLS rules are made up rules anyways, so anything goes really.

(Small aside, I think you meant Wolfsberg in the Austrian Bundesliga, he was on loan there from Frankfurt. He only had 4 games for frankfurt)
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-04-2023 at 02:02 PM.