Page 73 of 174 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This might be surprising, but some people find Italy infinitely nicer in terms of livability, way of life, etc, than Canada, and especially Toronto. There's a reason no one wants to come back after going to Italy on vacay!
    I went to Naples for a week. I'm never living there.

Some parts of Italy is nicer than others.

Also, Italian drivers. Crazy.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Maybe he didnt like the toxic environment+ losing culture- over promised that TFC could win it all last season.

Doesnt make sense since his best friend is in Toronto- must have been worse then it seemed.

Embarassing could keep him longer- yes his legs were shot- but he still had a phenomenal skill set that the yute could have learned from.
    Dude was 36. It's not like he was 32.

Seems he missed Genoa more than the grind of playing in MLS, away from home.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect it is more of a ‘happy wife, happy life’ situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Dude was 36. It's not like he was 32.

Seems he missed Genoa more than the grind of playing in MLS, away from home.
    Also, it sounds much like last season when we were desperate for a left back and the deal was to join us early. But instead he decided to stay in Napoli to aid the relegation fight and then it seemed that he might not be coming at all. Crisito is clearly devoted to his club. And when we did hear about why he was here the purpose was always to help out his buddy, Insigne.

He was the wiliest left back in this league, I thought and his play with Insigne was like second nature. Not necessarily easy to replace.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-22-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    But if Criscito is under contract with TFC, and it’s not a retirement, wouldn’t Genoa have to give us something in return if he goes to play there ?
    Does a brief, on paper retirement break the contract? Not that it matters much. I’m sure we would do whatever was needed to carry out Criscito’s wishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Does a brief, on paper retirement break the contract? Not that it matters much. I’m sure we would do whatever was needed to carry out Criscito’s wishes.
    The "retirement" was probably a loophole that we mutually used to terminate the contract. It saves us a metric tonne of money to spend on other roster needs.

While he was absolute class, he was on a large salary. We can better use that money across the rest of the roster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    The "retirement" was probably a loophole that we mutually used to terminate the contract. It saves us a metric tonne of money to spend on other roster needs.

While he was absolute class, he was on a large salary. We can better use that money across the rest of the roster.
    Yeah agreed, can get 2 or 3 depth players with that $$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post

Agreed. I liked him but he was expensive and was starting to show some age trying to deal with the fastest opponents. But would have a ton of value in a back 3 or as a converted CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We desperately need to add a DM destroyer this offseason or it will be a repeat of other teams driving a mac truck through our midfield every game again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the Italians have young children. It is extremely difficult, anywhere, to sort out schooling for children that don’t speak the local language.

This problem may recur. It would be surprising if it doesn’t.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    All of the Italians have young children. It is extremely difficult, anywhere, to sort out schooling for children that don’t speak the local language.

This problem may recur. It would be surprising if it doesn’t.
    Part of why insigne had private English tutor for his kids set up as part of the deal to come here.

Probably easier to cope with if you have an unlimited smount of money to throw at the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    We desperately need to add a DM destroyer this offseason or it will be a repeat of other teams driving a mac truck through our midfield every game again.
    Seems a point that will either haunt the entire season or be absorbed into the success of BB’s team. Either way I think it’s unlikely that we replace Micheal with a proper destroyer this season or any other. I could be wrong, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course this Criscito report may be premature and/or lacking in detail .. maybe he's going back as a coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Seems a point that will either haunt the entire season or be absorbed into the success of BB’s team. Either way I think it’s unlikely that we replace Micheal with a proper destroyer this season or any other. I could be wrong, of course.
    we don't need a proper destroyer if we get a couple other spots right.

the games we had oso, bradley, insgne and berna we generally controlled the game enough as to limit the other team's dangerous moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Yeah agreed, can get 2 or 3 depth players with that $$.
    Isn't that questionable management asset again.

One could argue if it was 1 year but it was a multi year deal- the retirement loophole saved tfc from having more dead money on the books

I think we're at five or 6 since 2020.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we don't need a proper destroyer if we get a couple other spots right.

the games we had oso, bradley, insgne and berna we generally controlled the game enough as to limit the other team's dangerous moments.
    as long as we have the backline in place and upgraded, I don't mind this. We just need depth. All over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This might be surprising, but some people find Italy infinitely nicer in terms of livability, way of life, etc, than Canada, and especially Toronto. There's a reason no one wants to come back after going to Italy on vacay!
    Yeah. Just spend 15 minutes watching CP24 and after listening to the daily recap of shootings, stabbings, car jackings, home invasions, and hit and runs, makes me want to live in Genoa too...... as well as destroying my faith in humanity.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 12-22-2022 at 10:34 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    as long as we have the backline in place and upgraded, I don't mind this. We just need depth. All over.
    Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS isn't a retirement league, but Hazard would probably treat it as such.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    MLS isn't a retirement league, but Hazard would probably treat it as such.

Konur one of the biggest BS merchants out there.

Infant even in this story he says Los Angeles FC, then hashtags LA Galaxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konur one of the biggest BS merchants out there.

Infant even in this story he says Los Angeles FC, then hashtags LA Galaxy.
    I can definitely see Eden Hazard coming to MLS, I just don't see him coming here at all. We'd be better off going for Thorgan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not rooting for this. Hazard got bossed by us in our WC game. Plus I have kind of developed a really dislike for the Belgium MNT.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am usually quite open to the idea of most transfers.
    I rarely say this, but, on this matter, HELL NO!
    Injuries, out of form, questions about desire and commitment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not rooting for this. Hazard got bossed by us in our WC game. Plus I have kind of developed a really dislike for the Belgium MNT.
    Yeah would be bad.

Luckily the source is as unreliable as they come so likely nothing to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hazard has been crap for years now. We also don't need another winger. No way he's coming here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably one of those let's create an MLS rumour and write the only two teams that those international fans know (and the random switching between LA FC and LA Galaxy probably proves that - probably doesn't even realize those are two different teams)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Agree 150%. Matt Hedges is not particularly fast. Mavinga (if he's back) has relied very much on speed in the past, mostly with great success. But now he's 31 and has missed significant time due to injuries in a couple of seasons. He's gotta change his ways if he wants to stay on the field. If you look around MLS, there have been DM destroyers for not a ton of money. Doesn't even have to be a guaranteed starter or full 90 minute guy, but at least one you use in certain games and certain situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Mendes is the DM we could just go out and get (can play both the 6 and the 8). Young, fast, but never found his way at LAFC given severe competition for PT there.

But its weird, there are no rumours anywhere on the guy even though he might the most exciting FA in MLS.

(I will stop with the Mendes posts now. Trying to get people interested!)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2022 at 10:47 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Yeah. Just spend 15 minutes watching CP24 and after listening to the daily recap of shootings, stabbings, car jackings, home invasions, and hit and runs, makes me want to live in Genoa too...... as well as destroying my faith in humanity.
    This is really getting far off topic, but if you spend 15 minutes watching CP24, covering the GTA with 6 million population, you will definitely get an aneurysm, and that has always been the case. It will be similar if you have a look at sensationalist / hyperactive news sites or papers in Genoa. My wife's family is Italian, and she has a ton of relatives there. They've got lots of problems over there. Some things are better, some are worse, some are about the same.

For a real comparison between Toronto and Genoa, check here: https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare...atchComparison

The two cities actually look very similar on most of the stats, with Toronto often being a bit better. Genoa is a bit better on violent crime, but both cities are moderate on that stat. Genoa is MUCH worse on bribery and corruption.

Since you mentioned hit-and-runs: hard to find stats about that, and especially per city. But traffic deaths per 100k population are very similar in Italy and Canada, both middle-of-the-pack, and MUCH better that the US. But that's the case on many stats. So I suppose all the MLS players will want to move from the US to Canada.