Page 61 of 174 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 5193
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    You clearly didn't watch much mls last year, and we had no offensive mid depth.

also arent you a montreal fan? why are you posting here?
    Not a Montreal fan at all , just someone that appreciates attractive football and when a organization can put out a good product for a fraction of the cost that TFC spends then a shout out to Mr Saputo is warranted. Our club has been an absolute crap show for the last 2 plus years, I just choose not to be up this clubs rear end with constant praise like a few of the posters on this site

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Not a Montreal fan at all , just someone that appreciates attractive football and when a organization can put out a good product for a fraction of the cost that TFC spends then a shout out to Mr Saputo is warranted. Our club has been an absolute crap show for the last 2 plus years, I just choose not to be up this clubs rear end with constant praise like a few of the posters on this site
    I’m super excited for this upcoming season in my eyes I can’t lose , team by mid season will be in the top half of the table or Bob and Bill Manning will be shown the door, win win on the way for TFC Supporters

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Montreal had a decent team for half a year, saputo almost physically fought their coach in July and now he's let their top 5 players and coach leave.

Very enviable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Montreal has schooled us (and most of the league) the last several years and it is not a debate. They have been contenders and played attractive football. They traded for Miller and Johnston when we could have and should have. Mihailovic was huge too. They have made a boatload on these moves. In general, they are also doing better at developing players, they put two kids on the WC team, one of whom played.

How they do next year is a separate conversation, a function of what they do with the money and how the pipeline looks. I would try to have some humility and learn from this, if I were TFC. Doubt that is the mindset.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I found him vexing wherever he played, didn’t really see a big difference once the Italians came. Inside or outside, he had brilliant stretches and awful stretches, multiple times a game. He also has wheels. Those brilliant stretches, usually a result of that speed, are tantalizing, he can really close guys down for example … but he was never really composed on the ball, like, say, Kone…
    He has a very good first touch too, just poor judgment about how to use it. I think the future is in midfield, not on the wing. Found him vastly better in that role because it forced him to make quick decisions (although he didn’t always take the hint).

I feel like I say this every 3 weeks but they really need to clean house at the academy. They are still delivering raw parts all these years later. Their job is to get these guys ready for pro ball and it’s failing every single time. First team continually has to do the heavy lifting to get these guys ready and/or it appears up to the player’s own wits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He has a very good first touch too, just poor judgment about how to use it. I think the future is in midfield, not on the wing. Found him vastly better in that role because it forced him to make quick decisions (although he didn’t always take the hint).

I feel like I say this every 3 weeks but they really need to clean house at the academy. They are still delivering raw parts all these years later. Their job is to get these guys ready for pro ball and it’s failing every single time. First team continually has to do the heavy lifting to get these guys ready and/or it appears up to the player’s own wits.
    The Academy thing is massive, the endless unsolvable riddle, the anchor making it all not work.

It's not just development, but that is part of it. It has never been covered properly in the papers, the story of what a dumpster fire this is. The stories of rejecting, what is it, 7 of the WC players? Our young guys get moved to Nashville and Orlando, but two of the Montreal guys make it? One goes to Watford? I fear every truly interesting GTA kid for the next 10 years will conclude “anywhere but there”

This is what I mean when I say TFC could use some humility. I have never heard anyone from TFC say anything other than how great and wonderful our Academy and youth setup is. As if having a facility on the subway is all it takes.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't it reported that Nelson was likely heading to Europe?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Montreal has schooled us (and most of the league) the last several years and it is not a debate. They have been contenders and played attractive football. They traded for Miller and Johnston when we could have and should have. Mihailovic was huge too. They have made a boatload on these moves. In general, they are also doing better at developing players, they put two kids on the WC team, one of whom played.

How they do next year is a separate conversation, a function of what they do with the money and how the pipeline looks. I would try to have some humility and learn from this, if I were TFC. Doubt that is the mindset.
    Exactly

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last several years is just incredibly wrong.

2021 they finished 10th.

Year before they lost the play in when we were battling for supporter shield.

They've won 1 playoff game since 2016. It's a terribly run club that struck gold once and immediately got stripped of any assets.

If we were run like Montreal people would absolutely be whining even more than they already do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last several years is just incredibly wrong.

2021 they finished 10th.

Year before they lost the play in when we were battling for supporter shield.

They've won 1 playoff game since 2016. It's a terribly run club that struck gold once and immediately got stripped of any assets.

If we were run like Montreal people would absolutely be whining even more than they already do.
    OK results… 2022 only. You are right there. (I kind of don’t care about 2020 and 2021 given the obvious.)

But saying they struck gold once, that pretty substantially undersells what they did. Their multiyear player acquisition and development, across 7-8 players/moves (both academy and pro) is damn impressive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK results… 2022 only. You are right there. (I kind of don’t care about 2020 and 2021 given the obvious.)

But saying they struck gold once, that pretty substantially undersells what they did. Their multiyear player acquisition and development, across 7-8 players/moves (both academy and pro) is damn impressive.
    Kone was pure fluke, and yeah they built up a good team over a few years only to dismantle it at the first opportunity.

I don't think people would accept that here.

if we had their 2022 reg season next year (and lost in semi finals) but ended up losing insigne/ bernardeschi and a couple others on back of it how would people here react?
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 12-12-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Reaction?
    It would be bedlam.
    Bonkers, absolute bonkers!
    This Forum would be on fire.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Academy thing is massive, the endless unsolvable riddle, the anchor making it all not work.

It's not just development, but that is part of it. It has never been covered properly in the papers, the story of what a dumpster fire this is. The stories of rejecting, what is it, 7 of the WC players? Our young guys get moved to Nashville and Orlando, but two of the Montreal guys make it? One goes to Watford? I fear every truly interesting GTA kid for the next 10 years will conclude “anywhere but there”
    Who have Montreal developed though (honest question)? It seems like they have a keener eye for young talent, but who did they actually develop. Kone only joined Montreal a little over a year ago...

TFC does have one reclamation in Richie, who was rejected by everyone else...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really happy that VV may be back. We have a good mutual contact person, and all I can say is, the circumstances of his departure were extremely strange. His family really did not want to leave Toronto. I'm not at all surprised that Victor would want to come back, maybe even at a very reasonable salary. It could be one of those situations where he is paid a low amount in his last 1-2 years of playing, and then magically -- mysteriously -- ends up with a good job at the club or the academy. And he may be a guy who actually hangs around and works here for a while, unlike some of the post-play TFC deals (e.g., Cheyrou, Frings...) that really looked suspect.

BUT I also agree: We REALLY need some more starting midfielders in their prime years, approx. 24-29, and with significant experience. Midfield absolutely is a grind, and nowhere more so than in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found him vexing wherever he played, didn’t really see a big difference once the Italians came. Inside or outside, he had brilliant stretches and awful stretches, multiple times a game. He also has wheels. Those brilliant stretches, usually a result of that speed, are tantalizing, he can really close guys down for example … but he was never really composed on the ball, like, say, Kone…
    I agree, Nelson is very vexing. I was surprised that he often seriously pissed off Insigne for example, yet he continued to start. Too much was expected of Nelson at times, and we should be somewhat patient with him, considering what the coach and club thrust upon him. (Patient with a young player; less so with the club and coach...)

For example, decision making can be very tough to learn in a tight midfield when everyone is pressing. We often see much more experienced players make poor decisions in those situations (Pozuelo; Bradley; even Insigne at times). And sometimes it was refreshing that Nelson was at least willing to dribble and take on players. When it worked (and he remembered to pass or do something else useful afterwards), it really opens up the field and creates chances for others.

At other times, his decision making was much worse...

But I have MUCH less patience with a few other things I saw in Nelson (and in some other young players -- I agree with the concerns about the Academy). E.g. when Bernie, Insigne, or somebody else had a breakaway, and Nelson would jog up the middle, instead of sprinting to catch up with these older players, and offer an opportunity to pass in the middle, or at least be a decoy to attract the attention of the defenders. When a very fast young player doesn't use his speed in situations like that, it massively pisses me off.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 12-12-2022 at 02:39 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm really happy that VV may be back. We have a good mutual contact person, and all I can say is, the circumstances of his departure were extremely strange. His family really did not want to leave Toronto. I'm not at all surprised that Victor would want to come back, maybe even at a very reasonable salary. It could be one of those situations where he is paid a low amount in his last 1-2 years of playing, and then magically -- mysteriously -- ends up with a good job at the club or the academy. And he may be a guy who actually hangs around and works here for a while, unlike some of the post-play TFC deals (e.g., Cheyrou, Frings...) that really looked suspect.

BUT I also agree: We REALLY need some more starting midfielders in their prime years, approx. 24-29, and with significant experience. Midfield absolutely is a grind, and nowhere more so than in MLS.
    yes, we definitely need 2 more midfielders.

3 more is oso doesnt stay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Montreal’s recent success is down to Olivier Renard coming on board-I doubt Joey will be able to stay out of the way for long-but I agree that their recent moves were well thought out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso is back. Numbers not released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna assume it is a near max TAM deal and be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully less than a million as he will slowly be on the decline but still has good years to give..will regret not experiencing another club in his pro career but thats on him..the rebuild continues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    if true ,this club has become a farse,what a clown show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless Oso being our 3rd DP opens up those other two u-22 slots, this just eliminates another roster mechanism to improve the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

says TAM, not DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Singh just basically copied Bogert's report while adding some speculation that was proved wrong within 10 minutes. LOL.

Happy for Oso and TFC. Worth every penny if he can get back to full health.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Unless Oso being our 3rd DP opens up those other two u-22 slots, this just eliminates another roster mechanism to improve the team.
    i could see this.

it's using TAM, so they could consider him a 3rd DP to be able to add more young dps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

says TAM, not DP
    Phew. I was just coming on to write a couple paragraphs in anger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singh… is almost as reliable as will Forbes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could see this.

it's using TAM, so they could consider him a 3rd DP to be able to add more young dps
    lol this club and young DPs,i dont think so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Singh… is almost as reliable as will Forbes
    i agree,i can confirm that