Page 31 of 174 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 5193
  1. #901
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You know if they weren’t vastly overpaying for Criscito and Laryea they wouldn’t have to find a new back-up left back next season.

  2. #902
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    350k for him is very good business
    Not saying it’s not.

    But good business needs to be contextualized. Now they need to sign another fullback. Do you trust them to find capable replacements? Was this necessary or could it have been avoided? Is 350k worth creating an unnecessary hole in the roster for? Do you need it that badly? Why do you need it badly?

  3. #903
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Not saying it’s not.

    But good business needs to be contextualized. Now they need to sign another fullback. Do you trust them to find capable replacements? Was this necessary or could it have been avoided? Is 350k worth creating an unnecessary hole in the roster for? Do you need it that badly? Why do you need it badly?
    Because they likely have a deal lined up that requires more gam.

  4. #904
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    small clarification, based on the Orlando City press release. Only the 300k GAM is guaranteed. The 2024 50,000 and 2025 50,000 are both conditional
    https://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/o...rom-toronto-fc

  5. #905
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,621
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Not saying itís not.

    But good business needs to be contextualized. Now they need to sign another fullback. Do you trust them to find capable replacements? Was this necessary or could it have been avoided? Is 350k worth creating an unnecessary hole in the roster for? Do you need it that badly? Why do you need it badly?
    I assume because Petrasso isn't an ideal FB. At WB he is fine but that's not what we're looking for apparently. BB didn't use him much at FB besides early in the season and maybe BB isn't planning on forcing guys into different positions/roles now thet we're out of the transition year (hopefully).

    To me he was the best of the kids we brought up but in the big picture, the hole he is leaving the squad is pretty small and pretty easy to fill. Antonoglu could fill it right away based on where Petrasso was playing in the latter half of 2022 and he looks like he deserves a shot.

  6. #906
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just spitballing here, but this could be related to the expansion draft. TFC might have worked out a deal with St. Louis for them to select someone in the expansion draft and have him dealt to Toronto for this GAM. This is how Montreal managed to get Kamal Miller.

  7. #907
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Just spitballing here, but this could be related to the expansion draft. TFC might have worked out a deal with St. Louis for them to select someone in the expansion draft and have him dealt to Toronto for this GAM. This is how Montreal managed to get Kamal Miller.
    I saw the Seattle version of Waking the Red speculate that they might leave Stefan Frei unprotected....Which excited me until I kept reading and found out Frei is 37 years old, which I didn't realize. I forgot it's been basically a decade since he left
    https://www.sounderatheart.com/sound...eory-surprises

  8. #908
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Because they likely have a deal lined up that requires more gam.
    Would you require that GAM if you weren’t overpaying for players.

  9. #909
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    $350k+ up to $50k in performance incentives. A decent return, but I think I'd prefer to have Petrasso. https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...change-for-gam
    I like the kid. Think heíll be a solid pro and potentially can cover off 2-3 different positions on the left side of the field. But, Iím not opposed to coupon clipping and selling some of our academy players, particularly if we have others coming through.

  10. #910
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    That said, if the backup plan is converting Jayden Nelson to LB...
    Oh god, letís hope not. The fact moving him more centrally as a shuttler seemed to better hide his weaknesses and play to more of his strengths (not saying heís perfect) should say everything they need to know about where Nelson should play in the future.

  11. #911
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Oh god, let’s hope not. The fact moving him more centrally as a shuttler seemed to better hide his weaknesses and play to more of his strengths (not saying he’s perfect) should say everything they need to know about where Nelson should play in the future.
    But his hair would look so good flying as he sprints along the touchline.......

  12. #912
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Stop whining.

    Drives me crazy whining about a hypothetical potential overpay.
    If you would rather call this whining than engage with the argument, don’t engage.

    I’d like to believe that while I am one of the more negative on the board, I give credit where I see it and offer actual arguments that can be backed.

    Just because I don’t kiss ass I’m whining? Please. Move on buddy. Put me on ignore.

  13. #913
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There's been a few other trades these past couple of days that had sell-on clauses. They were all 20%, so I could see it being that. Maybe 20% is an MLS standard sell-on clause

  14. #914
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,621
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Would you require that GAM if you weren’t overpaying for players.
    Pretty obvious we're going to be moving into a more veteran, MLSer type direction. BB mentioned this earlier this year but said how it's easier in the winter. If that's the case then we might need allocation $$$ to acquire some vets. Also if the plan is to start contending now, we can't rely on training up kids anymore. Going to need dependable depth as well as starters. Can't have it both ways.

  15. #915
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    3,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  16. #916
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If you would rather call this whining than engage with the argument, don’t engage.

    I’d like to believe that while I am one of the more negative on the board, I give credit where I see it and offer actual arguments that can be backed.

    Just because I don’t kiss ass I’m whining? Please. Move on buddy. Put me on ignore.
    You whine about everything.

    We just got 300k for a player who looked subpar for 75% of the season and you're complaining that we might overpay in the future.

    Cmon man no one wants that relentless negativity.

    We've done enough actual stuff wrong in past few years, no need to complain when we get a good deal that we might screw up in future.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-09-2022 at 05:39 PM.

  17. #917
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I like the kid. Think he’ll be a solid pro and potentially can cover off 2-3 different positions on the left side of the field. But, I’m not opposed to coupon clipping and selling some of our academy players, particularly if we have others coming through.
    I think that's fair - I think it's fine that we traded him, but also fine if we kept him. I felt like he was a relatively reliable player that we could have plugged in to move the ball up to Insigne. In isolation though, this move isn't one to get upset over.

  18. #918
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think that's fair - I think it's fine that we traded him, but also fine if we kept him. I felt like he was a relatively reliable player that we could have plugged in to move the ball up to Insigne. In isolation though, this move isn't one to get upset over.
    you were right on this one.im kinda shocked we got 300k maybe 400k for him

  19. #919
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    You whine about everything.

    We just got 300k for a player who looked subpar for 75% of the season and you're complaining that we might overpay in the future.

    Cmon man no one wants that relentless negativity.

    We've done enough actual stuff wrong in past few years, no need to complain when we get a good deal that we might screw up in future.
    Not at all what Iím saying. Iím not going to waste time on this when you canít even properly characterize my argument.

  20. #920
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In old boy news, Erickson Gallardo signs with Phoenix Rising FC of USL.

  21. #921
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,475
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    In old boy news, Erickson Gallardo signs with Phoenix Rising FC of USL.
    He scored 9 goals in 24 regular season games back in Venezuela this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does decently in Phoenix.
    This is a good lesson that finding players in South America is tough.

  22. #922
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Not at all what Iím saying. Iím not going to waste time on this when you canít even properly characterize my argument.
    I think I might be able to somewhat put forward your argumentÖ because overall I like civility and good discussion, and because Iím relatively neutral on the subject in question.

    I think youíve said that management has a propensity - currently and in the past - to overpay itís players. Recently you mentioned overpaying for the two starting backs. More GAM is needed because in general we overpay and hence have to move young players for GAM like Petrasso who could otherwise be kept on low numbers as adequate backup.

  23. #923
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    He scored 9 goals in 24 regular season games back in Venezuela this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does decently in Phoenix.
    This is a good lesson that finding players in South America is tough.
    He seemed at the time of his arrival here like an atypical acquisition for us. Vanney was asking for wingers and I have a feeling he was only going to be given unproven guys on the cheap. Wasnít really until Vanney was gone that reliable/expensive wingers were acquired.

  24. #924
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmmm....backup LB/LW gets traded.

    I think the replacement for Petrasso is another backup.

  25. #925
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmmm....backup LB/LW gets traded.

    I think the replacement for Petrasso is another backup.
    Not necessarily Latif Blessing, but someone like him who can play both sides of the pitch.

  26. #926
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd like to see Auro back as the backup. Likes it here, can play both sides, has a team option, and we know he can play in MLS.

  27. #927
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Who wants international roster spots.....Not Nashville.

    In a matter of hours, they traded 4 of them.
    https://www.nashvillesc.com/news/nas...mbined-725-000

  28. #928
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I think I might be able to somewhat put forward your argument… because overall I like civility and good discussion, and because I’m relatively neutral on the subject in question.

    I think you’ve said that management has a propensity - currently and in the past - to overpay it’s players. Recently you mentioned overpaying for the two starting backs. More GAM is needed because in general we overpay and hence have to move young players for GAM like Petrasso who could otherwise be kept on low numbers as adequate backup.
    Nail on the head.

    In isolation that GAM for Petrasso is awesome, but he was adequate back-up and now you've added to this already massive laundry list of needs this off-season. Maybe that's not such a big deal if the club weren't currently poor at recruiting players quickly, well, and at good numbers. And that money wouldn't mean much or anything if you didn't need it because you overpaid for so many players.
    Last edited by portu; 11-09-2022 at 11:35 PM.

  29. #929
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    free agents we should be all over:

    blessing, hollingshead, johnson, callens.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-10-2022 at 12:39 AM.

  30. #930
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I'd like to see Auro back as the backup. Likes it here, can play both sides, has a team option, and we know he can play in MLS.
    I don't think Auro is in Bob's plan which is why he was loaned.

    If all of a sudden he is brought back I have would very serious concerns about Bob's decision making. What was the point in loaning a guy out and then brining him back? This isn't a youth player. We could have used him all of last season instead of depending on unproven youth.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •