Page 18 of 174 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our best player ever from South America, by a mile, was Julio Cesar.

He went straight from TFC to starting and winning a bunch of WC games, culminating in the semi final. Less said about how that last game went for him, the better, though.

(OK, I am being a little technical in this answer, he never really belonged to us.)
    Last edited by ensco; 10-19-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Yes he certainly does, still remember Didier Drogba dismantling us in the 2015 playoffs , man that guy was a joy to watch, we had no answers that night, strictly was a men against boys match.
    Why remember that?

The guy in Montreal I remember giving us trouble back then was always Piatti.

My favourite “Drogba wearing Montreal colours” memory is him staring disconsolately into the middle distance in the drizzle, after they coughed it up to us in 2016.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-19-2022 at 10:57 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why remember that?

The guy in Montreal I remember giving us trouble back then was always Piatti.

My favourite “Drogba wearing Montreal colours” memory is him staring disconsolately into the middle distance in the drizzle, after they coughed it up to us in 2016.
    Piatti was the soul of that Montreal team. He was by far the most dangerous player on that team. By the time Drogba came to Montreal his legs and pace had begun to give out on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Matias Laba? Actually, a guy with his exact skill set would be a perfect addition right now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the MLS 1.0 days, DC United built a dynasty using South American talent. They were in fact the only MLS side with a full-time SA scout.

These days it's much, much harder than the 1990's-early 2000's. European teams have flooded in and are bidding for young talent and prices have risen accordingly. While there's still a lot of talent out there, either you're overpaying or you have someone with issues.

Since football is a global game, it makes more sense to look for talent where others aren't if you're looking for that overlooked bargain player.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of familiar faces at the Raptors home opener last night!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Raptors/s...90160403816450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Back in the MLS 1.0 days, DC United built a dynasty using South American talent. They were in fact the only MLS side with a full-time SA scout.
    DC was the only team with a decided scout in any market. Everyone else used the league office.

Generally, Europe was scouting South America before MLS arrived. The biggest variable that’s changed here is the quality of MLS. When we had bare bones salaries and less developed domestics, there were boat loads of guys throughout central and South America who could come here and dominate. Now the bar is higher and the signings are less of a sure thing. We’re also more in competition with leagues elsewhere for the same players.

I think the biggest thing about signing talent is local market knowledge and personal networks. Remember Ali Curtis getting spun in circle trying to sign Bore? He was just used as a rube and didn’t understand how the game was played. He walked into South America with a big budget and got taken to the cleaners on damaged goods. The real prizes were kept off the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Mavinga back to being very cryptic on social media this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The off season doesn't start until Mavinga starts tweeting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Has TFC really had any luck bringing players from South America?

Personally I think we should stick to Europe.
    I think Europe is a better option too but if they want U22s then SA or CA are the ways to go. I would just avoid Brazil & Argentina and look to the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think Europe is a better option too but if they want U22s then SA or CA are the ways to go. I would just avoid Brazil & Argentina and look to the others.
    When a team is looking for affordable talent, there's probably considerable percentage in going to leagues of similar size and quality.

Sweden, Japan, Greece, Eastern Europe.

Celtic's manager had j-league experience and largely rebuilt their first team -- or filled three key spots anyway -- poaching from the j-league. Its quality is very similar to MLS, maybe a little off the pace in the modern DP era.

MLS has had so much good fortune with players from Scandinavia that I'd think we'd start there, especially has Bob has extensive contacts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    MLS has had so much good fortune with players from Scandinavia that I'd think we'd start there, especially has Bob has extensive contacts.
    I'm expecting some pick ups from odd locations from BB. Not on a Raivis Hscanovics level of obscurity but some not from the standard locals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm expecting some pick ups from odd locations from BB. Not on a Raivis Hscanovics level of obscurity but some not from the standard locals.
    One might, sort of, equate the Ravis Hscanovics pick-up with Nicolas Hasler's?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    One might, sort of, equate the Ravis Hscanovics pick-up with Nicolas Hasler's?
    True but he played in the Swiss league. That's an okay league. The Lithuanian league however....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne, Mimmo, Jimenez and a few others have been in the TFC Training grounds, working out and posting fun stuff on Instagram the past few days.

Great to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Insigne, Mimmo, Jimenez and a few others have been in the TFC Training grounds, working out and posting fun stuff on Instagram the past few days.

Great to see.
    The core talent is there to be a winning team. They just need some time together to gel. Great to see the Italians having fun. You don't post videos like this if you are miserable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True but he played in the Swiss league. That's an okay league. The Lithuanian league however....
    What?
    Really?
    You have an issue with A Lyga?
    With match attendance regularly ranging from a grade school XXL classroom to a typical entire high school size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    The off season doesn't start until Mavinga starts tweeting
    My take on some of those posts are that he is uncomfortable in wanting to stay yet having to engage hat in hand.
    That a deal... discussions... maybe close but not done; across the goal line.

I am OK with his return between 400-600K as the third choice CB behind two new signings, just ahead of LM and SO, as well as the LB depth solution.
    I think anything less in salary would be disingenuous of TFC/MLSE and BELL given their recent social media exploitation of parts of his situation.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 10-21-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    My take on some of those posts are that he is uncomfortable in wanting to stay yet having to engage hat in hand.
    That a deal... discussions... maybe close but not done; across the goal line.

I am OK with his return between 400-600K as a third CB just ahead of LM and SO, as well as a LB depth solution.
    I think anything less in salary would be disingenuous of TFC/MLSE and BELL given their recent social media exploitation of parts of his situation.
    i think 350-500 K is fair, anything over 500K is pretty poor value yet again especially given his injury record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Mavinga, I appreciate what he's done and he was a favorite of mine but with what we've seen the past couple years and his age I can't see him being more than a #3 or #4 CB and we have those spots filled already. Time to aim higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t pay him a dollar over $300k.

Chris is a great personality and has been with the club for a while but that’s the pay packet his current performance dictates.

There’s a case to say he shouldn’t be back at all and if we’re going to weather inconsistent play at CB it should be with someone who’s younger and learning with upside.

But I’m okay with forgetting about that in light of his history with the team. I think that’s our “give” here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There’s a case to say he shouldn’t be back at all and if we’re going to weather inconsistent play at CB it should be with someone who’s younger and learning with upside.
    I agree with this. If we're going to deal with some off days from an every week starting CB then I would prefer it to be a younger one that can grow.

I mainly think we should move on because if we get nostalgic and re-sign him for some agreeable price then we're on our way to having a another season of #3 and #4 CBs again. I would rather target two #1s or a #1 and a #2 pairing instead of making do with what we can get out of Mavinga, MacNaughton, O'Neill, and whoever else we sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they will prob overpay him because lets what they do.god forbid they actually do some scouting and find a bargain somewhere in this small soccer world

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    they will prob overpay him because lets what they do.god forbid they actually do some scouting and find a bargain somewhere in this small soccer world
    Well it's a different crew in charge but they did do the smart thing and let Giovinco & Jozy (finally) go. I feel the 2917 nostalgia factor in TFC is fading and maybe finally being seen as a negative. I doubt they will overpay Mavinga. He isn't marketable and for what he gets paid, you could probably get another, more marketable Italian or Canadian at CB.

But I think their scout will look to the CMNT first and Italy second when making these decisions. After that, it's BB's odd underground football network.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-21-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this new crew seem to be overpaying already.kaye ...lareya ,insigni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but they're the marketable Canadians and Italians. Mavinga is neither of those things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but they're the marketable Canadians and Italians. Mavinga is neither of those things.
    yup we lead the league in marketable players and money spend.it would be nice to have some better results on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a huge Mavinga fan but I wouldn't bring him back at nearly any price. Age, injury prone and he was always a defender who relied on athleticism more than positioning (The opposite of a Drew Moor type) and those defenders just don't age nearly as well once that athleticism goes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two of those players don;t exist and the other has been a top MLS player for 4 years on a very reasonable salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga needs to be moved on from. They shouldn’t be wasting their time trying to re-sign guys that clearly don’t cut it when they have so many genuine needs to fill.