Page 170 of 174 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174 LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be a bit more charitable because it depends where we get injured as well.

If Dio gets injured, does Akinola starting count as a 'kid', for example? I'd say if Perruza or the younger Priso-Mbongue get any extended starting action, that would be a 'kid starting'. So where we REALLY don't want to see any blood shed is at winger (where it's Kerr+Kids) or fullback (Themi, JMR). I can't believe I'm saying this, but if Bradley goes down, we are suddenly OK. Not great, but OK. CBs? We're actually starting to look really deep with O'Neill, MacNaughton, and a revitalized Luke Singh (who's still a kid but feels a bit better to me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I'm going to be a bit more charitable because it depends where we get injured as well.

If Dio gets injured, does Akinola starting count as a 'kid', for example? I'd say if Perruza or the younger Priso-Mbongue get any extended starting action, that would be a 'kid starting'. So where we REALLY don't want to see any blood shed is at winger (where it's Kerr+Kids) or fullback (Themi, JMR). I can't believe I'm saying this, but if Bradley goes down, we are suddenly OK. Not great, but OK. CBs? We're actually starting to look really deep with O'Neill, MacNaughton, and a revitalized Luke Singh (who's still a kid but feels a bit better to me).
    Good points dude, it really is the wide areas.

We need one of those MLS utility players, a tricky winger who can tackle, ideally two-footed. Find that guy and he's the perfect backup. Plus, Richie can play both sides. So if we find junior Richie, he's the perfect backup AND maybe someone who can replace him if a bigger team buys him in the summer.

Start your amateur scouting engines people! We need a two-footed tricky wide player with some grit, preferably a little younger but with some experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say I was rather pessimistic heading into this offseason given how many pieces were required to fix the glaring holes in the roster. While I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that they hit it out of the park, I am content with the state of affairs after this most recent trade for Servania. This makes an excellent base IMO (16/17 quality players).

Without knowing where we stand on the cap, I'll give the FO the benefit of the doubt and assume that we have some space to work with given the Nelson GAM and whatever else. IF we don't have to move any pieces to layer on a DP or 2 U22s there is no reason not to be optimistic about this roster.

SJ
    Petretta
    Rosted
    Hedges
    Laryea
    MB
    Oso
    MAK
    Insigne
    Dio
    Berna
    ----------
    Romero
    VV
    MacNaughton
    Servania
    Akinola
    JMR*

Asterisk on JMR since I'm still unsure if he'll pan out at RB, although if you are a Twitter "per sources" kinda person reading this, then he's a stud anywhere on the park and he's totally worth the $20M price tag.

Any of the kids stepping up onto that list is gravy at this point. Depending what we do with that DP slot you have to figure a striker is clearly in the plans. Laryea also needs to be made permanent. Beyond that depth at FB is essential and I'd say another mid and CB as I am not convinced by O'Neill's ability so would like to upgrade that slot. I might be in the minority but I think that MacNaughton is serviceable at this level and should be the #3 as things stand today. IMO this base should be good enough to take us to the summer, especially given the new playoff format where the regular season is nearly irrelevant. No reason to stress now, at least in theory. Assuming we can add some real quality in the summer, I don't see why this team couldn't make a serious run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I have to say I was rather pessimistic heading into this offseason given how many pieces were required to fix the glaring holes in the roster. While I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that they hit it out of the park, I am content with the state of affairs after this most recent trade for Servania. This makes an excellent base IMO (16/17 quality players).

Without knowing where we stand on the cap, I'll give the FO the benefit of the doubt and assume that we have some space to work with given the Nelson GAM and whatever else. IF we don't have to move any pieces to layer on a DP or 2 U22s there is no reason not to be optimistic about this roster.

SJ
    Petretta
    Rosted
    Hedges
    Laryea
    MB
    Oso
    MAK
    Insigne
    Dio
    Berna
    ----------
    Romero
    VV
    MacNaughton
    Servania
    Akinola
    JMR*

Asterisk on JMR since I'm still unsure if he'll pan out at RB, although if you are a Twitter "per sources" kinda person reading this, then he's a stud anywhere on the park and he's totally worth the $20M price tag.

Any of the kids stepping up onto that list is gravy at this point. Depending what we do with that DP slot you have to figure a striker is clearly in the plans. Laryea also needs to be made permanent. Beyond that depth at FB is essential and I'd say another mid and CB as I am not convinced by O'Neill's ability so would like to upgrade that slot. I might be in the minority but I think that MacNaughton is serviceable at this level and should be the #3 as things stand today. IMO this base should be good enough to take us to the summer, especially given the new playoff format where the regular season is nearly irrelevant. No reason to stress now, at least in theory. Assuming we can add some real quality in the summer, I don't see why this team couldn't make a serious run.
    We’ve got a real squad this year and not that roller coaster ride of tearing down and rebuilding that was last season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We need one of those MLS utility players, a tricky winger who can tackle, ideally two-footed. Find that guy and he's the perfect backup. Plus, Richie can play both sides. So if we find junior Richie, he's the perfect backup AND maybe someone who can replace him if a bigger team buys him in the summer.
    All this is a bit too much to score from the MLS bench pool but I think a younger version of DeLeon is doable & good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who’s an Italian striker who deal expires this summer? Belotti? Destro?
    I don’t see any game changers without a contract

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tfc number 10 in power rankings.

Writeup:

It’s year two under manager/sporting director Bob Bradley, year two for Federico Bernardeschi and Lorenzo Insigne, and year one for free-agent center back Matt Hedges and free-agent goalkeeper Sean Johnson. That’s five reasons to have serious optimism about this team in 2023.

They’ve actively been working to fix their biggest issues, and it’s resulted in a starting XI that seems set to challenge the best groups in the league. That’s only if they’re fully, 100% healthy though.

As good as this team is on the top end, they’re paper-thin at spots, and it still feels like they have work to do to fill out the roster. But if they take the kind of leap forward that’s fair to expect, they could be a legit challenger. They just have to stay healthy enough to keep the bottom from falling out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I have to say... I am not convinced by O'Neill's ability so would like to upgrade that slot. I might be in the minority but I think that MacNaughton is serviceable at this level and should be the #3 as things stand today...
    MacNaughton has (that) potential. Shane O'Neill? IMO, not awful as a depth journeyman; fourth CB for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Writeup:

It’s year two under manager/sporting director Bob Bradley, year two for Federico Bernardeschi and Lorenzo Insigne, and year one for free-agent center back Matt Hedges and free-agent goalkeeper Sean Johnson. That’s five reasons to have serious optimism about this team in 2023.

They’ve actively been working to fix their biggest issues, and it’s resulted in a starting XI that seems set to challenge the best groups in the league. That’s only if they’re fully, 100% healthy though.

As good as this team is on the top end, they’re paper-thin at spots, and it still feels like they have work to do to fill out the roster. But if they take the kind of leap forward that’s fair to expect, they could be a legit challenger. They just have to stay healthy enough to keep the bottom from falling out.
    A very fair and informed rundown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writeup:

Probably written before we acquired Servania. I agree, as most us seem to about depth but also: another two or three signings (if and when we make them) should change that relative to other teams in the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Probably written before we acquired Servania. I agree, as most us seem to about depth but also: another two or three signings (if and when we make them) should change that relative to other teams in the league.
    I agree. A couple more signings our depth will be comparable to most the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    A very fair and informed rundown.
    Yes although probably written pre servania signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depth-wise still a bit thin in some areas, but still vastly improved from this time last year (but in a cap league like MLS that's always going to happen somewhere on the roster - you'll never be a full 2-deep at every spot, it just all about how much you can mitigate those issues). Thankfully, we won't be forced to sign 2-3 TFC2 players to emergency contracts just to fill up a matchday 18 like we were doing every game in April/May last year (that was crazy last year lol). A Richie Laryea replacement for the second half of the season and a utility player capable of covering fullback/wing is all the of the remaining major holes I felt we had.

I have to give credit where credit is due to BB - back just a month ago in late January we still had multiple holes in the starting XI and I was getting nervous that we might enter the year with one or more unfilled. The Starting XI is basically complete now and the main bench core is really only missing a wide player (and 1-2 of the youth players could potentially fill that need through off-season growth/development)
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-21-2023 at 09:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Doyle's running "what your team did during the offseason" article

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/where...stand-for-2023

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW

Doyle's running "what your team did during the offseason" article

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/where...stand-for-2023
    the misspelling of rosted's name shows how much he has paid attention to TFC.

and obviously just 6 or 7 things wrong with his depth chart just off the bat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macnaughton, ayo looked decent the other day, JMR.

but yes, we still need a couple more in. they said they were looking at adding fullbacks, a striker and a CM.

CM down, i think we'll see more movement still.
    Macnaughton I do like as a 4th CB, the other two were way below expectations the last 2 years. We have a lot of young players and you'd normally expect some to improve but more often than not the kids regressed last year so I'm judging our squad on the players individual body of work and not so much their potential which I'm much less bullish about. I do have some hope having a more structured and experienced team will help but I'm not convinced yet.

I think Franklin will prob be signed and maybe that spanish CM, other than that it'd be nice to get another youngish attacking wide player to at least push for sub minutes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Depth-wise still a bit thin in some areas, but still vastly improved from this time last year (but in a cap league like MLS that's always going to happen somewhere on the roster - you'll never be a full 2-deep at every spot, it just all about how much you can mitigate those issues). Thankfully, we won't be forced to sign 2-3 TFC2 players to emergency contracts just to fill up a matchday 18 like we were doing every game in April/May last year (that was crazy last year lol). A Richie Laryea replacement for the second half of the season and a utility player capable of covering fullback/wing is all the of the remaining major holes I felt we had.

I have to give credit where credit is due to BB - back just a month ago in late January we still had multiple holes in the starting XI and I was getting nervous that we might enter the year with one or more unfilled. The Starting XI is basically complete now and the main bench core is really only missing a wide player (and 1-2 of the youth players could potentially fill that need through off-season growth/development)
    With 26 players listed still have 4 roster spots open. Expect at least 1-2 home grown type signings like Kobe Franklin, Adam Pearlman. Also still not exactly sure what is up with Luke Singh, are they expecting something out of him or is another CPL type loan in the cards for him, guess time will tell? With a 30 man roster you will always have a few who will see most if not all of their action with TFC II during the season. But yet do not expect a two month stretch of emergency signings week in, week out like we did last year in April and May.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belotti in the summer anyone? out of contract, roma move hasn't gone well.
    🤔

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I watch Rangers when I can which is Champs/Europa league recently, since SPL not on TV, and not the biggest fan of Morelos. He whines and pouts a lot instead of getting back in the play from what I have seen. Haven't seen anything truly outstanding about his play either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am not computer/internet savvy. Probably an easy do. Just failing to realize the how of the solution... is anyone able to school me to get the following German text 'copied' so then I may translate it?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-22-2023 at 09:28 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am not computer/internet savvy. Probably an easy do. Just failing to realize the how of the solution... is anyone able to school me how to get the following German text 'copied' so then I may translate it?

Looks like they ran the text through their own translator - wouldn't worry too much about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Looks like they ran the text through their own translator - wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Sorry, excuse my ignorance, IIUC, so then this is MLS sourced content material translated into German? Not a German MLS fan base perspective on the MLS/TFC? I travel to Germany yearly and oddly in the past I have actually seen MLS matches broadcast with non-english commentary, believe it was in German, on hotel sports channel services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I could see him pushing Kaye for that starting spot if he doesn't start regaining some form.
    Good, prove me wrong, MAK was a dud last year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, excuse my ignorance, IIUC, so then this is MLS sourced content material translated into German? Not a German MLS fan base perspective on the MLS/TFC? I travel to Germany yearly and oddly in the past I have actually seen MLS matches broadcast with non-english commentary, believe it was in German, on hotel sports channel services.
    You can see on the next tweet where the photo comes from and it's from the MLS website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because Eurosport had a free license from MLS to rebroadcast games on freeview, which is the tier of channels people in Europe get for free over the air, under legislation.

So they took the weekly feeds from three games and had a local announcer, in some countries, do a localized play by play.

MLS didn't really have anything to do with it other than giving them permission to rebroadcast (for free, as I understand. They just wanted the publicity.)

Under the Apple deal I imagine that agreement is now toast.

This stuff is sort of the print equivalent; they just rip it off the mlssoccer page and translate it with apps. There are a bunch of similar rip-and-print sites in Turkish that Google News is picking up now, too.

But they're mostly not real publications, just clickbait. Quite a few of them are laden with spyware and other malicious files, as Malwarebytes regularly informs me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I watch Rangers when I can which is Champs/Europa league recently, since SPL not on TV, and not the biggest fan of Morelos. He whines and pouts a lot instead of getting back in the play from what I have seen. Haven't seen anything truly outstanding about his play either.
    Well I am a hardcore Rangers fan and I watch all their games. I would have Morelos in a heartbeat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Well I am a hardcore Rangers fan and I watch all their games. I would have Morelos in a heartbeat.
    So a couple questions....first, how do you watch all their games? The only way I found was with subscribing to Rangers TV but it works out to over $300 per year I think it was so I was not doing that. All my other services I subscribe to for sports probably still don't add up to that.

Second, I didn't see much from Morelos in the European cup fixtures and even when he was injured for a bit Rangers did not seem impacted to me. Was he different in the league games or something? What would make you think he would do well here? Genuinely curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would kill for Morelos. Guy is built for MLS. Would tear this league apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So a couple questions....first, how do you watch all their games? The only way I found was with subscribing to Rangers TV but it works out to over $300 per year I think it was so I was not doing that. All my other services I subscribe to for sports probably still don't add up to that.

Second, I didn't see much from Morelos in the European cup fixtures and even when he was injured for a bit Rangers did not seem impacted to me. Was he different in the league games or something? What would make you think he would do well here? Genuinely curious.
    I watch the games via a private Facebook group that I belong to. Morelos is having a great season and is in fine form since Beale has taken over. He is a quality striker and with the level of play in the MLS, he would score twenty goals + easily in a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch the games via a private Facebook group that I belong to. Morelos is having a great season and is in fine form since Beale has taken over. He is a quality striker and with the level of play in the MLS, he would score twenty goals + easily in a season.
    No offense to the spl, outside the big two the MLS is a better league. By quite a bit. You can measure that by things like salary (absolutely miles ahead here, so if the top spl players outside the old firm would be tam level here they'd be here earning ten times their salary) and by players at the international level (look at how many players went to the world cup even if you take Canada and USA out). If he can't score that amount of league goals (or even close to it) for a team like rangers in the spl the odds are he isn't scoring it here.
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 02-22-2023 at 07:45 PM.