Page 17 of 174 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    He's married to Bogers sports media personality Andi Petrillo. I believe it's either nepotism or to keep her happy.
    Andi Petrillo is no longer employed by Bogers (and hasn't been for about a year). She's only been working for CBC and OneSoccer. And if you think Petrillo would have had enough sway to keep Conway employed I have swamp land to sell you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

WE HAVE A RUMOUR. I’m going to YouTube and transfermarkt to spend 5 minutes deciding why this is a terrific or awful move.
    Okay, random observation, maybe TFC interest is not in that Léo Pereira but this Léo Pereira:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léo_...er,_born_1996)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    He's married to Bogers sports media personality Andi Petrillo. I believe it's either nepotism or to keep her happy.
    I was thinking the same thing but come up with the same question: Why would an organization this big and built with results in mind care about a reporters husband? Its not like she works for MLSE. I just can't wrap my head around it. If it is true, then its has to be one of the worst cases of nepotism I have ever heard of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Okay, random observation, maybe TFC interest is not in that Léo Pereira but this Léo Pereira:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léo_...er,_born_1996)
    Here's the source video - actually seems like it's the winger. At around ~14:10 he mentions we're interested in him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gm_MHoIYPo
    Apparently they're looking for a permanent transfer for ~2M euro. Apparently his current club owns 60% of his economic rights, with three other teams splitting the remaining 40%.
    At that fee I don't really see how he fits in on the wings. Plus these South American transfers are so messy and I don't trust TFC to execute on them. Recently only Auro has been a success coming up from SA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the source video - actually seems like it's the winger. At around ~14:10 he mentions we're interested in him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gm_MHoIYPo
    Apparently they're looking for a permanent transfer for ~2M euro. Apparently his current club owns 60% of his economic rights, with three other teams splitting the remaining 40%.
    At that fee I don't really see how he fits in on the wings. Plus these South American transfers are so messy and I don't trust TFC to execute on them. Recently only Auro has been a success coming up from SA.
    Highly doubt we're after him although if we're going for 3 young DPs could be a thing.

Need wing backup for insigne and berna thats a higher level than now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but come up with the same question: Why would an organization this big and built with results in mind care about a reporters husband? Its not like she works for MLSE. I just can't wrap my head around it. If it is true, then its has to be one of the worst cases of nepotism I have ever heard of.
    It's not true. So what it has to be is that he is highly regarded by our worsening GKs and past + present TFC staff since he hung in a long time for Vanney too. Most likely a well liked figure around the team but obviously not one that can get the best out of his GKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second I read 60% (or any % that's not 100 quite frankly), I immediately think stay the eff away. My basic expectation in this scenario is for Manning to get fleeced again and be stuck with a nightmare of an asset to move on from.

No thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Highly doubt we're after him although if we're going for 3 young DPs could be a thing.

I always believed that was one of the option roles for JJ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It's not true. So what it has to be is that he is highly regarded by our worsening GKs and past + present TFC staff since he hung in a long time for Vanney too. Most likely a well liked figure around the team but obviously not one that can get the best out of his GKs.
    That has to be the answer, but I understand the confusion. The bigger question has to be how this team continually valued GK's that put up subpar numbers and seemed to regress once they come here. Unless there are unknown factors at play, this level of institutional blindness is extremely worrisome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed on a competent wing backup. My preference is for someone who can play on the left (seems Pereira plays on the right). I trust Berna to be able to play 90 mins more often than Insigne and I like the option of being able to drop Insigne into a CAM role against difficult to break down team as it lets him create a bit more and link up more with Berna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    The second I read 60% (or any % that's not 100 quite frankly), I immediately think stay the eff away. My basic expectation in this scenario is for Manning to get fleeced again and be stuck with a nightmare of an asset to move on from.

No thanks.
    Has TFC really had any luck bringing players from South America?

Personally I think we should stick to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I buy this one. A rumor though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    IMO...

At the least, change is required just for change sake; JC has enjoyed a long run at the position.
    At the most, he no longer makes the cut as a GK Coach; arguably has not for a long time.

However, maybe he has some receipts?
    Been understood by his superiors / upper management that he has done his job.
    They realize he has worked with the goal keepers; did his, even anyone's, best to.
    That even though he did as much as could be done, it was always about what he had to work with? About the source material.
    And maybe his confidential assessment and progress reports to management about their abilities status and potential continually stated such?
    While also continuously recommending alternative actions and solutions?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 10-19-2022 at 06:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not sure I buy this one. A rumor though!
    yes, reporting from brazil apart from a couple outlets is notoriously unreliable.

better than nothing tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was some discussion that Jorginho would look good for TFC. He's apparently asked Chelsea for £150,000/week. That comes out to about $8.8M USD/year. So that's the starting point for him to come to TFC. Feel like we'd need to put in an offer of around $12M to make him potentially move to MLS. https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/18/jorgi...metrouktwitter

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was some discussion that Jorginho would look good for TFC. He's apparently asked Chelsea for £150,000/week. That comes out to about $8.8M USD/year. So that's the starting point for him to come to TFC. Feel like we'd need to put in an offer of around $12M to make him potentially move to MLS. https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/18/jorgi...metrouktwitter
    they've basically said another big name isn't happening and the 3rd DP will be specifically targeted to the needs of the team (i.e. won't come with the marketing premium insigne did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd offer 9/10 million per year.

Nobody in Europe is going to offer that.

Instantly gives us the best CM in MLS, a position we badly need help on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they've basically said another big name isn't happening and the 3rd DP will be specifically targeted to the needs of the team (i.e. won't come with the marketing premium insigne did).
    I wonder how much that's Manning hedging in case they can't get a big name DP. However if Insigne/Berna talk up TFC in the Italian MNT group chat and Jorginho (or another Italian starter) asks for $10M/year, does TFC say no?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how much that's Manning hedging in case they can't get a big name DP. However if Insigne/Berna talk up TFC in the Italian MNT group chat and Jorginho (or another Italian starter) asks for $10M/year, does TFC say no?
    I think they'd soend a decent whack if the perfect DP comes up, but chances of that aren't high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, he said he wouldn't necessarily sign someone at Insigne's level (14 mil per year). He never said Berna's level (6-7).

I can't see anyone offering Jorginho more then he currently makes at Chelsea.

He's linked with Barca who are broke and the Italian clubs (Juve, Milan) are all very cost conscious.

I'd fly over Berna, big smile and offer in hand! See what happens.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 10-19-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Has TFC really had any luck bringing players from South America?

Personally I think we should stick to Europe.
    Exactly, I don’t have much faith in the current management group succeeding in bringing in a quality South American player , let’s just stick to the tried and tested overpaying for a European that we know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    To be fair, he said he wouldn't necessarily sign someone at Insigne's level (14 mil per year). He never said Berna's level (6-7).

I can't see anyone offering Jorginho more then he currently makes at Chelsea.

He's linked with Barca who are broke and the Italian clubs (Juve, Milan) are all very cost conscious.

I'd fly over Berna, big smile and offer in hand! See what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I was vocal late last year that saying that paying USD$75M to Insigne could not be true. You can talk building asset value all you want, I will disagree, but will leave the argument to others. I had to eat that one but always hoped the number for Insigne had to be wrong.

So there it is - it isn't wrong.

This is long term bad for the team, it always is. It never works to have one guy on your team paid more than a bunch of other teams are. Then the reaction against this by the successor management... oof.

Anyway, hey, Insigne is a very good player. Sure. Definitely impacted others to come. Sure.

The top guy on the Union makes 10% of what Insigne makes.

Back to CMNT threads, see you.
    Oof indeed!
    In the space between possibility and probability... you probably may be right.
    If things do not unfold as should be hoped by us supporters and planned by MLSE/TFC then I trust they must be prepared for that eventuality.
    That any situation with Lolo may devolve and be fiscally very challenging.
    Another anchor and albatross; maybe the biggest of them in team history by far.
    Certainly an immediate cause celeb for the 'buyout'.
    I suspect such a contingency has been contemplated and deemed affordable against MLSE/TFC's valuation and SSH threshold objectives.
    Before understanding just today that Mimmo will likely be back and given Lolo's recent personal experience...
    I paused and pondered whether an unorthodox short term loan back to Napoli could have been an option of some long-term benefit for all.
    No question Lolo needs the MLS current off season time to rest, relax and invigorate any lingering knocks and nags.
    Yet, within the context of Napoli's performance and standing at the SerieA 31JAN23? winter transfer deadline...
    Make a consideration to then move him until end of their season 04JUN23?
    Although counter intuitive and counter productive, a gracious and perhaps unprecedented gesture.
    Facilitating the opportunity and chance to be part of an experience that had eluded him.
    Also, allowing his wife and him to heal and be among family and friends during such a subsequent traumatic time.
    It would certainly be a risk.
    It may help get him and them through the situation and in a place to still be all in with us if any post tragedy hesitation has developed.
    It would also depend on and be subject to what is achieved by TFC this off season; the footballer
    acquisitions.
    If such an absence could be reasonably endured; that we would likely still be positioned to be on track to making the playoffs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Exactly, I don’t have much faith in the current management group succeeding in bringing in a quality South American player , let’s just stick to the tried and tested overpaying for a European that we know
    Your guy Joey Saputo also tends to get players from Europe, especially Italy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yeh, and least we are not using rentals from a senior team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Literally all of our best players in franchise history have been purchased from Europe. For conversation sake, who is our best player brought in from South America? Auro?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Literally all of our best players in franchise history have been purchased from Europe. For conversation sake, who is our best player brought in from South America? Auro?
    It's between Soteldo or Gilberto.

Auro kind of fizzled out even though he had more longevity here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes he certainly does, still remember Didier Drogba dismantling us in the 2015 playoffs , man that guy was a joy to watch, we had no answers that night, strictly was a men against boys match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's between Soteldo or Gilberto.

Auro kind of fizzled out even though he had more longevity here.
    I was about to say Amado Guevara but that's central America.

We haven't had a ton from South America. When TFC started, Brazil was sort of a no go because non-domestic scouting was forbidden, basically guaranteeing nebulous third-party ownership deals and agent fees.

I'd have to say Pablo Piatti was probably our best. We were paying him too much, but he was productive and never poor.

Gilberto could've been with some patience. He's had some pretty good years in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucas Janson was a good get from South America, we just couldn't agree to a fee that would keep him on TAM beyond his loan. He's averaged about a goal every 3 games since 2020 playing in Argentina. He averaged about a goal every other game while with TFC.