Page 161 of 174 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,830 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    True but I will put this how I see it; we need veteran (but not antique) midfielders on the bench, preferably two and one of them should be a DeLeon type that can pretty much fit in anywhere if needed. We get that and we should be alright.
    Only works with hindsight. Given Arena's apparent interest, maybe TFC should have kept Okello and then offered him up with Akinola to NER for Blessings. Half of that equation, a utility knife, then solved?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Only works with hindsight. Given Arena's apparent interest, maybe TFC should have kept Okello and then offered him up with Akinola to NER for Blessings. Half of that equation, a utility knife, then solved?
    Okello won't end up there. The fact he is on his third trial in a month with his low pay bracket means he is CPL bound.

Also nobody in MLS is currently stupid enough to take Akinola on a free much less trade something of value for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    our backup XI right now:

Kerr dio Ayo
    kosi VV JMR
    KF LM SON Chung
    Romero

add a midfielder in there and move JMR to fullback, and that's not too far off what we were fielding in some first team games last year.
    This lineup scares the crap out of me and immediately gives me flashbacks of last year. From what we’ve seen of Chung, he should still be in the CPL, and Kosi was so misused and demoralized last year it’s hard to know if he’ll ever be good enough for MLS. Other than the CB’s and maybe JMR, the rest are all question marks until proven different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    This lineup scares the crap out of me and immediately gives me flashbacks of last year. From what we’ve seen of Chung, he should still be in the CPL, and Kosi was so misused and demoralized last year it’s hard to know if he’ll ever be good enough for MLS. Other than the CB’s and maybe JMR, the rest are all question marks until proven different.

yep, the point is, every MLS second XI has a bunch of players not up to it.

i posted earlier, but the philly 2nd Xi features:

Brandan Craig- 18 years old- 3 minutes as a professional
    Matt real- 170 minutes last season
    Chris Donovan- 105 minutes of professional football
    Richard odada- 0 senior minutes as a professional
    Jeremy Rafanello - 0 senior minutes

i agree chung should be loaned out, not close to it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've deleted a pile of off-topic posts.

A reminder that this thread is not here to discuss Michael Bradley, it's about incoming and outgoing players (since a certain poster seems to have forgotten).

To remind everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Posters who are using certain situations to hijack this thread from a discussion of incoming or outgoing players into a thinly veiled endless screed against management should note that this isn't being tolerated. Sure people can approve or disapprove a new acquisition but endlessly using a player who is neither coming or going just to launch a repetitive attack is both boring and detrimental to the discussion here.
    So share facts and rumours, discuss the merits or deficiencies of incoming players. Stop discussing MB here (who is neither incoming or outgoing).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've deleted a pile of off-topic posts.

A reminder that this thread is not here to discuss Michael Bradley, it's about incoming and outgoing players (since a certain poster seems to have forgotten).

To remind everyone...

So share facts and rumours, discuss the merits or deficiencies of incoming players. Stop discussing MB here (who is neither incoming or outgoing).
    thank you!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, we got a depth problem.

Starting 11 is good...but beyond that, we gotta hope.

&

Given we seem to be missing Oso & MAK right now....I think we might be struggling out of the gate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have so few central midfielders who are competitive that we fielded a 35-year-old and 37-year-old as a two-person central pivot in a 442.

If that isn't illustrative that our depth is utterly insufficient, nothing is.

Who do we have that is even technically a central midfielder, past our starters?

Let's take a look at the roster:

T. Antonoglu... isn't even on the camp roster. We don't know if he's with the first team, he's played most of his youth career in defense.

So ... no, not passable.

Kosi Thompson played ... what, 10 games in midfield last year? Maybe? He's not even a lock to make it as a professional yet, let alone be 'step in' capable as a backup.

So... no, not passable.

Victor Vazquez is a number 10 whom LA used almost exclusively as a post 60th minute wing forwad,

So... no, not a passable central midfielder.

The fact is, we only have three on our roster right now. Period. That's why Jayden had to be moved there last year.

If we lose ONE central midfield body without bringing in someone else, we are no longer a playoff team.

If we lose TWO, we have a year like 2022.

It's dire. It's not a minor problem.

At least in defence we're covered somewhat. Kobe Franklin may not be ready, but of the players at TFC II he was the one most felt to be by regular watchers. The two central backups are decent. Richie can swing to the left if needed as well, and we have JMR who might do okay at right wingback.

Striker, we're probably thin based on JJ's performance last year, Dio's age and Ayo's inconsistency.

But our central midfield is going to kill us if anyone goes down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, we got a depth problem.

Starting 11 is good...but beyond that, we gotta hope.

&

Given we seem to be missing Oso & MAK right now....I think we might be struggling out of the gate.
    And we need to start out of the gate on fire. If they are out, our midfield (without me even know much about other teams players) has to be amongst the weakest in the league. Really hoping some big news in the next few days that a starter level midfielder is coming. Fingers crossed.

Wish Poz was around still, loved his game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've deleted 10 off topic posts after my post asking people to stay on topic. If you're not here to discuss incoming or outgoing players, step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath and calm down, or you'll be gone.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-13-2023 at 05:50 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is that given how thin we are at central midfield that we'd let Nelson go. He didn't look that bad as a midfielder and would have certainly fitted in as next in line in our current squad regardless of how good or not so good anyone thought he was. We had him under contract long enough to find a replacement even if we didn't let him leave until the summer. Point is that we let him go knowing Osorio and MAK weren't up for 45-60 mins on the pitch. I can't believe Bob would be that stupid so he MUST have something lined up ... right??
    Last edited by buddies; 02-13-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've deleted 11 off topic posts after my post asking people to stay on topic. If you're not here to discuss incoming or outgoing players, step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath and calm down, or you'll be gone.
    Not being snarky or anything, just want to ask the question - where are we supposed to discuss the current state of the roster at?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not being snarky or anything, just want to ask the question - where are we supposed to discuss the current state of the roster at?
    You can talk about it here, but talk about it in the direction of what our roster needs, not endless discussions about how we're supposed to get rid of Michael Bradley, or how our roster is terrible because of Michael Bradley, etc. He's going nowhere. If you say we need more midfield depth, that's OK, although it's kind of obvious (given that everyone realizes that). Trying to keep this thread on-topic about roster construction and avoid flame wars from erupting.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-13-2023 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Funny thing is that given how thin we are at central midfield that we'd let Nelson go. He didn't look that bad as a midfielder and would have certainly fitted in as next in line in our current squad regardless of how good or not so good anyone thought he was. We had him under contract long enough to find a replacement even if we didn't let him leave until the summer. Point is that we let him go knowing Osorio and MAK weren't up for 45-60 mins on the pitch. I can't believe Bob would be that stupid so he MUST have something lined up ... right??
    He's probably trying. I have sympathy for how hard is job is... but... to what end. It's still up to him and Manning to get us a decent body.

They pretty much had to sell Jayden, though. Can't send the message that we'll block youth going to what has been, traditionally, a pretty big club. On top of that, the fact that his deal is expiring in nine months means we'd lose him on a free, AND hold him back. So that was a no-win situation, other than the credit we gain with other youth players, which is considerable.

If we'd let Okello go to Frankfurt in 2018 when they offered us 750k, we'd be better off than we were keeping him, and so would he.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, a little bird who would definitely know tells me they looking at a particularly good move.

Can't say anymore than that, don't want to do anything to scotch it, but if it comes through, our midfield depth issues are probably resolved.

Fingers crossed and wish I could say more but the source is too good.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Okay, a little bird who would definitely know tells me they looking at a particularly good move.

Can't say anymore than that, don't want to do anything to scotch it, but if it comes through, our midfield depth issues are probably resolved.

Even former journalists never reveal their sources. A solid rumour! Love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait. I think jloome is this guy's source. Now my brain hurts.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been saying it for awhile now that a lot of these Twitter "journalists" come to this board and like to use the old "per sources" or "reports, give me a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco Verratti it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Okello won't end up there. The fact he is on his third trial in a month with his low pay bracket means he is CPL bound. Also nobody in MLS is currently stupid enough to take Akinola on a free much less trade something of value for him.
    I realize that. Just some wishful thinking on my part. I do think LB would be one of those ideal candidates. Also suspect LAFC has/had no intention for now of ever dealing directly with BB/TFC. Still, Arena/NER, sort of, kinda of did help TFC out; with Josmer. BTW, IIUC, TFC is still paying/subsidizing some of his salary in Y23; even though he is on loan? Does this have implications for TFC's current league financials? Or since it was a buy-out sitch, they are paying, just with no budget ramification. Perhaps some of the more Rules and Regs or Capologists amongst us may have some insight on this matter to share?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco Verratti it is!
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/marco-verratti/

(yes, I know, they do this for a lot of players just to drive SEO)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco Verratti it is!
    That's it! That's why! Explains all that social media angst. PSG was not sure he and Messi would be back on the G6 from their respective meetings with TFC/IMFC/MLS in time to be included in the squad for their match tomorrow at Parc de Prince in Paris against Bayern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Wait. I think jloome is this guy's source. Now my brain hurts.

I think he's guessing. If something there were going on, it wouldn't be at the stage yet to say they're definitely making a move for him, more like exploring the situation.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-13-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Tyrese Momodu Fornah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Tyrese Momodu Fornah?
    No, Lewis O'Brien. It's a possibility and his people have contacted TFC, but it's very preliminary. My little bird was very much of the "we're looking at it" reserved comment, though, not "we're into this idea."

There are all sorts of potential complications, not the least of which would be his salary. If Forest picked it up and they like him, they know he's interested.

Personally, I think he'd be perfect. He plays uptempo, aggressive football, can hold onto the ball in traffic and can pass.

But they'd probably have to weigh a season loan versus getting someone full-time, as he's only 24 and likely still has ambitions at the Premier League level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I've been saying it for awhile now that a lot of these Twitter "journalists" come to this board and like to use the old "per sources" or "reports, give me a break.
    He might have legit heard it. I'm not even in the biz anymore, so my source wouldn't have told me if others weren't aware he's in the mix, and this guy does tweet a lot about TFC's ground crew, as if he knew someone who worked there.

Either way, it's a legit rumor but not at the "TFC is pursuing" side, more the Lewis O'Brien is initiating side. But they're not idiots, they'll know he's quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Lewis O'Brien. It's a possibility and his people have contacted TFC, but it's very preliminary. My little bird was very much of the "we're looking at it" reserved comment, though, not "we're into this idea." There are all sorts of potential complications, not the least of which would be his salary. If Forest picked it up and they like him, they know he's interested. Personally, I think he'd be perfect. He plays uptempo, aggressive football, can hold onto the ball in traffic and can pass. But they'd probably have to weigh a season loan versus getting someone full-time, as he's only 24 and likely still has ambitions at the Premier League level.
    Then, salary complication aside, if so, what do you think the loan term envisioned likely may be... until the summer window or the end of MLS season/winter window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then, salary complication aside, if so, what do you think the loan term envisioned may be... until the summer window or the end of MLS season/winter window?
    He's not registered to play in the UK this season, because of a missed loan deadline. I imagine it could be either. It would depend on Forest, probably. If they want to move him to Blackburn on loan-to-buy, it will have to wait until the end of the EPL season, so we'd probably lose him in july.

If Blackburn's interest wasn't with a purchase option, they might want a longer loan. He's on TAM money, so we could afford him if he's good and liked the level (about $1.2M Canadian).

But they paid €9.4 million for him a year ago, so his sticker price on principle alone might be more than we could afford.

The thing is, even if he's gone in five months, it gives the front office that much longer to find a perfect permanent piece. And if Forest can eat a big chunk of any transfer, he loves it and does well, who knows? Maybe we get a lower-priced DP out of it who can be swung to TAM if we find a u22 candidate.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-13-2023 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Lewis O'Brien. It's a possibility and his people have contacted TFC, but it's very preliminary. My little bird was very much of the "we're looking at it" reserved comment, though, not "we're into this idea."

There are all sorts of potential complications, not the least of which would be his salary. If Forest picked it up and they like him, they know he's interested.

Personally, I think he'd be perfect. He plays uptempo, aggressive football, can hold onto the ball in traffic and can pass.

But they'd probably have to weigh a season loan versus getting someone full-time, as he's only 24 and likely still has ambitions at the Premier League level.
    This is the question - I mean, there is not much track record of up and coming Championship players finding a way to the EPL via MLS.

The positives for any MLS team around this idea are huge, but the player himself might be seriously upset by a move like this at this point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”