Page 160 of 174 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Starting to wonder if re-signing Osorio was a good idea. This guy can't stay healthy.
    This was always the risk with signing a player at his age. A healthy Osorio is worth his weight in gold, but he

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...t-mls-26218364

For the love of all that's holy in football, TFC, this is exactly who we need. We even have a pre-existing relationship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

For the love of all that's holy in football, TFC, this is exactly who we need. We even have a pre-existing relationship.
    Do we have cap space for a guy like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Do we have cap space for a guy like this?
    Article suggests Forest will pick up most of the wage. So maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeeze, sounds made in heaven: frozen out of EFL, salary largely picked up by Forest, looking to MLS and can play all 3 midfield positions, and yes, we’re already talking (or about to talk again to Forest). I’d like to hear the reasons why not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lewis O'Brien. What a development. Fate? Manna from Heavan? A line of communication exists; there is precedent. Kick those tires! Maybe even another set at NFFC for a 'two for one' sale to TFC. We could give a go at getting a natural DM in Tyrese Momodu Fornah? Footballers of Ghanaian heritage always warrant consideration by me. His loan to Reading from The Garibaldi may be up this summer transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if it's just till July, I'd be all over that. Not gonna get my hopes up though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Laryea thing is pretty hard to read. God only knows what they want there.

A casual reading of the Forest press reveals they were part of another screwed up loan attempt last week involving a fullback (Toffolo).

They have also had a horrific run of injuries at the back.

I wonder what they have in mind for Laryea. Could be anything, really.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be absolutely perfect.

can fill in at both midfield roles, young, most wages covered so low cap hit.

please get it done.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-13-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    jeeze, sounds made in heaven: frozen out of EFL, salary largely picked up by Forest, looking to MLS and can play all 3 midfield positions, and yes, we’re already talking (or about to talk again to Forest). I’d like to hear the reasons why not!
    Can’t agree more , team desperately needs a young mid, next two weeks will tell me everything I need to know about or coach , does he want to relegate his son to the substitutes bench with a signing like O’Brien or will he follow his path of nepotism by not making this very obvious decision.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When speaking to reporters last week about the signing of Rosted, coach Bob Bradley said the club was “pretty close” to achieving all its off-season goals, but that more moves could be expected.
    “We thought that we needed to solidify ourselves in some key positions — goalkeeper, central defence, left back. We still needed to find some ways to improve in the midfield and up front. So, I think we’ve done good work to move in a good direction. We’ve added experience," Bradley offered.

So expect a couple more moves in next week or so, in midfield, likely at winger too.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-13-2023 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wonder what they have in mind for Laryea. Could be anything, really.
    I talked to a couple of reporters over there about him at the end of last season, and I guarantee you they'll sell him as soon as they get a chance. Steve Cooper does not rate him defensively, basically.

His system uses extremely two-way backs who spend a lot of time recovering.

He barely gave him a chance, and he also loaned out most of his foreign players; but then the owner's son has been behind a lot of the new signings as well, and they've brought in 30 new players.

Even if Aurier is out, he'd start Williams before Richie.

If a manager doesn't rate you, that's not going to change. They rate Cooper highly for getting them up and they'll probably survive this season, so...

The question is whether they think they can get more selling him to someone else as a player from a "premier league" team, even one who doesn't play for that team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the earliest mentions of Lewis O'Brien to MLS included this feed. Which happens to mention the availability of a couple of (other) Defensive Midfielders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, seems the Lewis O'Brien situation is still under an appeal, though described as a long-shot, that was launched by the Rover's after a hearing earlier this month saw that club’s application rejected by the EPL Board. Similar to the Araujo affair, it is good to know MLS is not the only organization to spoil a transfer transaction this (EPL past) window; Rover's have accepted that responsibility for O'Brien.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    BTW, seems the Lewis O'Brien situation is still under an appeal, though described as a long-shot, that was launched by the Rover's after a hearing earlier this month saw that club’s application rejected by the EPL Board. Similar to the Araujo affair, it is good to know MLS is not the only organization to spoil a transfer transaction this (EPL past) window; Rover's have accepted that responsibility for O'Brien.
    Chelsea also did it with Hakim Ziyech's transfer to PSG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Can’t agree more , team desperately needs a young mid, next two weeks will tell me everything I need to know about or coach , does he want to relegate his son to the substitutes bench with a signing like O’Brien or will he follow his path of nepotism by not making this very obvious decision.
    We all know Bradley is playing every game for 90 min.

I am so looking forward to Vasquez and Bradley in the middle. /s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt Doyle’s take on the roster:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/one-b...he-2023-season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I think we need depth on the wing and at midfield.

We are pretty good everywhere else:

Fullack: kosi, jmr, kobe Franklin?

Cb: macnaughton, oneill. Not amazing but passable especially as its unlikely both starting CBs will be out.

Creative midfield: oso, Vazquez. Good enough for a full season of high quality between them.

Striker: jiminez, dio, akinola. Fine. Good.

We need a winger and a midfielder who can play as a 6 and 8.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mls depth for good teams is a big drop off.

The union brought on a 22 year old striker with 6 senior appearances in mls cup.

Lafc had s losing record without illie sanchez.

Unfortunately that's just the nature of a salary cap league.

We badly need a midfielder capable of competing for starts and imo a winger, and we'll be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Mls depth for good teams is a big drop off.

The union brought on a 22 year old striker with 6 senior appearances in mls cup.

Lafc had s losing record without illie sanchez.

Unfortunately that's just the nature of a salary cap league.

We badly need a midfielder capable of competing for starts and imo a winger, and we'll be good.
    Seems like a very selective set of data points.

MLS cup final, the tying goal is scored by a DP who was a substitute, the keeper for the wining team (who played exceptionally) was a substitute. The Union player with six appearances you are referencing (Chis Donovan) was brought on in the 120th minute, likely just as fresh legs to defend. The union already had used an earlier forward sub on another player, so Donovan defacto 4th choice (without even checking if they had injuries or others who were unavailable).

So broadly, it would appear to me, while any substitute would be a drop-off from a starter, it’s not the sort of extreme drop-off TFC still has in some areas, where we’d have to field an unproven professional just to make up a full 11.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Seems like a very selective set of data points.

MLS cup final, the tying goal is scored by a DP who was a substitute, the keeper for the wining team (who played exceptionally) was a substitute. The Union player with six appearances you are referencing (Chis Donovan) was brought on in the 120th minute, likely just as fresh legs to defend. The union already had used an earlier forward sub on another player, so Donovan defacto 4th choice (without even checking if they had injuries or others who were unavailable).

So broadly, it would appear to me, while any substitute would be a drop-off from a starter, it’s not the sort of extreme drop-off TFC still has in some areas, where we’d have to field an unproven professional just to make up a full 11.
    bale wasn't a DP, the keeper is an untested backup who saved a couple penalties, doesnt mean he's a good player. and the 4th choice being a player with 5 appearances in a system that plays two up top shows a lack of decent depth.

we don't have good depth (it's passable, not good), and we need a midfielder badly. but even the best/deepest teams in MLS rely heavily on key players being fit to be competitive (check out LAFC record without vela, or illie sanchez, we beat mtl 4-0 last year when they rested wanyama, etc).

the drop off for us is so stark imo because we have TAM or DPs in almost every position.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-13-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bale wasn't a DP, the keeper is an untested backup who saved a couple penalties, doesnt mean he's a good player. and the 4th choice being a player with 5 appearances in a system that plays two up top shows a lack of decent depth.

we don't have good depth (it's passable, not good), and we need a midfielder badly. but even the best/deepest teams in MLS rely heavily on key players being fit to be competitive (check out LAFC record without vela, or illie sanchez, we beat mtl 4-0 last year when they rested wanyama, etc).

the drop off for us is so stark imo because we have TAM or DPs in almost every position.
    Yeah, I don't think it's passable. Our depth is largely useless outside of the central defenders. None of the kids in the other spots has shown they're remotely ready for MLS yet. Not even remotely.

The only bench player we had who contributed goals and assists, we inexplicably loaned to Nashville who promptly signed him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

our backup XI right now:

Kerr dio Ayo
    kosi VV JMR
    KF LM SON Chung
    Romero

add a midfielder in there and move JMR to fullback, and that's not too far off what we were fielding in some first team games last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected on Bale being a DP. The rest? Can’t say I agree.

Nobody is arguing there isn’t a drop off between starters and backs ups. And of course some players to some teams are irreplaceable (as it is elsewhere in the world too).

But how capable are the backups? (despite a meddling career McCarthy has long had the reputation of being excellent at stopping penalties) That’s the point. We’re all going to be cringing the second we need sub at fullback or another defensive midfield option off the bench until the roster is sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

our backup XI right now:

Kerr dio Ayo
    kosi VV JMR
    KF LM SON Chung
    Romero

add a midfielder in there and move JMR to fullback, and that's not too far off what we were fielding in some first team games last year.
    That team loses 30 out of 34 games to BACKUP teams. I mean, to even suggest these are backups in this league is just imagination. Literally the only person on that lineup who should ever start is Victor Vasquez, who is ancient and immobile.

Shane O'Neil, maybe, can plug a starter spot long-term during injury. The rest aren't even league quality. If they're going to be, they're a long way off now, as they standout for the wrong reasons whenever they play.

Dio, maybe -- hell maybe he's the starter -- but we don't know yet. Franklin hasn't really had a shot yet. The rest? No sir, not a chance that's passable.

where we’d have to field an unproven professional just to make up a full 11.

This. This, this, this.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-13-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...it’s not the sort of extreme drop-off TFC still has in some areas, where we’d have to field an unproven professional just to make up a full 11.
    Knowing it's so, and then saying it's so, makes me shudder with flashbacks, flashbacks, flashbacks of much of all last season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't think it's passable. Our depth is largely useless outside of the central defenders. None of the kids in the other spots has shown they're remotely ready for MLS yet. Not even remotely.

The only bench player we had who contributed goals and assists, we inexplicably loaned to Nashville who promptly signed him.
    deandre kerr had 3 mls goals last year.

vazqeuz is a depth piece. so is ayo, dio. JMR looked fine when he played, had injury issues.

and we loaned shaff who frankly looks bad in a possession based side due to technical deficiencies in order to bring in laryea, this was well documented.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That team loses 30 out of 34 games. I mean, to even suggest these are backups in this league is just imagination. Literally the only person on that lineup who should ever start is Victor Vasquez, who is ancient and immobile.

Shane O'Neil, maybe, can plug a starter spot long-term during injury. The rest aren't even league quality. If they're going to be, they're a long way off now, as they standout for the wrong reasons whenever they play.

Dio, maybe -- hell maybe he's the starter -- but we don't know yet. Franklin hasn't really had a shot yet. The rest? No sir, not a chance that's passable.
    every single MLS backup XI in the league wins the wooden spoon.

philly as an example of probably the best depth in the league would have a 2nd Xi featuring these players (per MLS depth chart):

Brandan Craig- 18 years old- 3 minutes as a professional
    Matt real- 170 minutes last season
    Chris Donovan- 105 minutes of professional football
    Richard odada- 0 senior minutes as a professional
    Jeremy Rafanello - 0 senior minutes

this team would win the wooden spoon 10/10 times, and is the second XI of a team that's being held up as very well stocked, depth wise.

having looked at all the eastern conference depth charts, there is no one that is has a passable second starting XI.

the only teams that don't see big drop offs from starters to the bench in most areas are the ones that have bad players starting.

link for anyone interested:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/where...stand-for-2023
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-13-2023 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deandre kerr had 3 mls goals last year.

vazqeuz is a depth piece. so is ayo, dio. JMR looked fine when he played, had injury issues.

and we loaned shaff who frankly looks bad in a possession based side due to technical deficiencies in order to bring in laryea, this was well documented.
    True but I will put this how I see it; we need veteran (but not antique) midfielders on the bench, preferably two and one of them should be a DeLeon type that can pretty much fit in anywhere if needed. We get that and we should be alright.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    True but I will put this how I see it; we need veteran (but not antique) midfielders on that bench, preferably two and one of them should be a DeLeon type that can pretty much fit in anywhere if needed. We get that and we should be alright.
    yep, 100% agree. also, checking out other MLS teams depth charts, if we get another 2 depth players who can passably start games without levels dropping much, we'd be in line or better with pretty much every other team.

check it out:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/where...stand-for-2023