Page 156 of 174 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Grasping at straws here. A has been or never was? Tenuous connect? In Emergency Break The Glass option? Old, likely very affordable; cap friendly. Depth Spanish midfielder. Cristian Portilla Rodriguez?
    Isn't he retired? And wasn't he a playmaker? We need a twenty-something all-around CM with legs, not a guy older than Pozuelo. VV is already a spot piece purchase for late in the game, an extra one does us no good.

EDIT: Not retired after Ottawa, playing at lower levels.

I mean, being great in the USL at 30 means he might've been an okay back up... at 30.

If it's just because he'd be free, there are multiple GOOD midfielders with MLS experience available we could still sign. Saphir Taider and Janio Bikel would both contribute more.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-08-2023 at 12:12 PM. Reason: USL not CPL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still think they move akinola before the deadline unless he really shows out in pre season.

and use the gam accrued (along with nelson gam) to strengthen the midfield. bob said yesterday again they were looking at ways of strengthening the midfield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...17736825782273

1 mill euros, 1.07 M USD for nelson. a little less than i would have hoped but he was in the last year of his contract.

this opens up around 1.2 M in gam for tfc between nelson salary and sale $$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about a loan to cover the midfield depth? There must be some team out there with a good young mid who isnt' getting any game time. As thin as we are, they're going to get double-digit appearances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i still think they move akinola before the deadline unless he really shows out in pre season.
    If the regular reporting crew is to be believed, they've been actively shopping him to other MLS clubs for basically two seasons now. No one is biting on his contract when he hasn't proven he can come back from the knee injury. Last year was basically a write-off in terms of showing he can be dangerous.

Why would anyone sign him at this point? His MLS is back run, which was bolstered by five goals in four games or something like that, increasingly looks like a blip not the norm.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    If the regular reporting crew is to be believed, they've been actively shopping him to other MLS clubs for basically two seasons now. No one is biting on his contract when he hasn't proven he can come back from the knee injury. Last year was basically a write-off in terms of showing he can be dangerous.

Why would anyone sign him at this point? His MLS is back run, which was bolstered by five goals in four games or something like that, increasingly looks like a blip not the norm.
    i dunno but MLS teams often take flyers on guys who are so called "damaged goods" (injury hurt career badly, revival projects).

i think we've been shopping hiim for one season, and he's only been fit a few months. team's situations and needs always changing so i could see a move happening.

the benefit for him is only like 150K of his salary counts towards the cap.

i could see a move involving us still having to pay some of his extra salary on top of that, but getting gam in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...If it's just because he'd be free, there are multiple GOOD midfielders with MLS experience available we could still sign. Saphir Taider and Janio Bikel would both contribute more.
    I am more than OK with your highlights... the Saphir Taider or Janio Bikel types; still dependable, experienced, inexpensive; hopefully? Actually prefer/want Janio; a decent candidate previously mentioned/discussed. Find myself now antsy for the icing/s on the cake that Bob has baked for TFC/us so far. What will the flavour option/s of depth be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more than OK with your highlights... the Saphir Taider or Janio Bikel types; still dependable, experienced, inexpensive; hopefully? Actually prefer/want Janio; a decent candidate previously mentioned/discussed. Find myself now antsy for the icing/s on the cake that Bob has baked for TFC/us so far. What will the flavour option/s of depth be?
    Who knows? They release nothing, no one covers the team properly. Perhaps they have five tryout players at the Cali camp. They could be entertaining a comeback from Robbo and we wouldn't know about it.

Quite frustrating, especially as someone who spent many years in the media. Dreadful, dreadful coverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows? They release nothing, no one covers the team properly. Perhaps they have five tryout players at the Cali camp. They could be entertaining a comeback from Robbo and we wouldn't know about it. Quite frustrating, especially as someone who spent many years in the media. Dreadful, dreadful coverage.
    For clarification, some self-education, just to satisfy my own curiosity and as far as you understand... I know TFC/Bob has engaged in internet 'zoom-ish' press briefings during this pre-season. My question is, are there any Canadian Media present on-site? Were they even invited by MLS/TFC? Would they have access (meaningful) if they even made that journey?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For clarification, some self-education, just to satisfy my own curiosity and as far as you understand... I know TFC/Bob has engaged in internet 'zoom-ish' press briefings during this pre-season. My question is, are there any Canadian Media present on-site? Were they even invited by MLS/TFC? Would they have access (meaningful) if they even made that journey?
    No, they're just phoners with guys working in Toronto. No scrutiny there at all. TV doesn't bother and print, which used to have budgets, is basically dead.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so nelson announced by rosenborg, transfermarkt says around 1 mill euros, so 1.07 M USD of gam.

enough for 2 decent squad player really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, they're just phoners with guys working in Toronto. No scrutiny there at all. TV doesn't bother and print, which used to have budgets, is basically dead.
    Its disappointing that the outlet giving us the most TFC coverage is related to gambling, and any news coming from them is unreliable at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows? They release nothing, no one covers the team properly. Perhaps they have five tryout players at the Cali camp. They could be entertaining a comeback from Robbo and we wouldn't know about it.

Quite frustrating, especially as someone who spent many years in the media. Dreadful, dreadful coverage.
    It strikes me that you have ownership (across the league) that would certainly be interested in increasing coverage. But on the other hand, you have a lot of relics of early day MLS (coaches / GM’s in particular), who are uncomfortable with media and the potential scrutiny it brings.

These guys by and large do not know how to handle a press gallery. Most MLS coaches are somewhere in between average and awful when it comes to their ability in front of the camera. So they constrain everything and try to filter it down as much as possible.

The league really needs to step in and start instituting some standards. Provide guys with media training and tell them they are going in front of the cameras, frequently. Their choice if they want to look like buffoons on not. The NFL which is really damn allergic to bad press still provides quite wide access. Because they understand how valuable that coverage is to keeping their product front-and-centre and creating marketing opportunities.

This league will never be front page anything in the US without getting bigger personalities in front of the camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Its disappointing that the outlet giving us the most TFC coverage is related to gambling, and any news coming from them is unreliable at best.
    Should be a real opportunity for John Molinaro, but his reporting seems to have petered out a bit this year. Also probably can't be travelling around a lot on a paid site budget.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apple tv will have a ton more media available.

hopefully with greater accessibility some more outlets step up, it's been very disappointing recently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other team's supporter's saying similar. Seems that this preseason is the most locked down and secretive ever.

Maybe MLS made some kind of deal to give exclusive behind the scenes coverage for these Apple episodes? There aren't even a lot of photos this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is our preseason roster. Zero idea who either of the trialists are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, worth noting that JMR is listed as a midfielder. I personally think his skillset is best suited to be an 8.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Here is our preseason roster. Zero idea who either of the trialists are.
    Very unknown. Hard to find anything on them except that maybe one is Nigerian and the other Ghanaian. And still that's a guess based on a search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have long said TFC needs to start scouting the hell out of Africa and Asia. I approve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's Themi?

On loan or trial somewhere? WE signed him to a first-team deal last year and loaned him back to TFC II so maybe they're already planning the same, but it's a weird way to do business.

Pearlman is a great addition, has looked really good at TFC II, although we have plenty of CB depth now.

Interesting that the JMR as a fullback dealie seems over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's Themi?

On loan or trial somewhere? WE signed him to a first-team deal last year and loaned him back to TFC II so maybe they're already planning the same, but it's a weird way to do business.

Pearlman is a great addition, has looked really good at TFC II, although we have plenty of CB depth now.

Interesting that the JMR as a fullback dealie seems over.
    No idea. I notice Kerr isn't on that list either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    No idea. I notice Kerr isn't on that list either.
    This is just a perfect example of bad Public Relations. They must realize that under-contract players MISSING from a list requires explanation, and it shouldn't be down to people bugging people on twitter. Control the narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some media on the trialists... Bob exploiting his connects... Some may argue, Ghana/Ghanaians are La Masia/Spaniards of Africa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting XI for today's pre-season match. This is my view of the best XI (apart for VV in for Oso, the only question was JJ to me - looks like he has the lead right now)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berni missed a pen

WE ARE DOOMED

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Starting XI for today's pre-season match. This is my view of the best XI (apart for VV in for Oso, the only question was JJ to me - looks like he has the lead right now)

Yeah, that is basically our starting 11. JJ is definitely the starter. Can very well see Ayo leaving by mid-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Osorio was originally in the starting lineup and then was replaced by Vázquez. (on reddit the starting XI graphic shows Osorio)

Hopefully it wasn't a pre match injury