Page 154 of 174 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Nah, Scandinavian folks do it themselves (refer to themselves as 'Scandis' in Europe). We don't refer to ourselves as "North Americans."

Funnily, though, there's a certain breed of posh and not-very-self-aware English middle classer (what we would consider "well off" here) who insist in arguments on line that it's incorrect to refer to people from the U.S. as "Americans" as that could denote anyone from the Americas.

Invariably, someone points out to them that it refers to the "America" in "United States of America", that NOBODY here calls themselves a "North American", and that Canadians and Mexicans also call them "Americans." Or "Fucking Americans," in half the cases.
    Many South Americans absolutely refer to themselves as americans and it bugs some of them online that "American" refers to someone or something from the USA in English. Furthermore, it might very well be that the first of the land masses to be referred to as "America" was indeed South America.

In Spanish however, both the terms "americano" and "norteamericano" exist, which literally translate to "American" and "North American" respectfully, and typically denotes Americans (and probably incorrectly/correctly Canadians). "Norteamericano" isn't used to denote Mexicans, despite Mexico being in North America. The most accurate demonym form someone from the USA in Spansh is "estadounidense" which is like saying Unitedstatesian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Many South Americans absolutely refer to themselves as americans and it bugs some of them online that "American" refers to someone or something from the USA in English. Furthermore, it might very well be that the first of the land masses to be referred to as "America" was indeed South America.

In Spanish however, both the terms "americano" and "norteamericano" exist, which literally translate to "American" and "North American" respectfully, and typically denotes Americans (and probably incorrectly/correctly Canadians). "Norteamericano" isn't used to denote Mexicans, despite Mexico being in North America. The most accurate demonym form someone from the USA in Spansh is "estadounidense" which is like saying Unitedstatesian.
    I learn something every day. To be honest, those debates never really get further south than Mexico, which is probably irritating as hell for South Americans. The English folk aren't arguing South Americans are being ignored; they're arguing that Mexican and Canadians refer to themselves routinely as "North Americans."
    Last edited by jloome; 02-07-2023 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone covering training camp at all? Have we seen any video other than 10-sec loops on twitter?

Gahd, the effective dissolution of professional media in the face of a million bloggers really does suck balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed jloome. The current state of TFC media coverage compared to when many of us joined this forum is sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Rosenborg's biggest ever transfer fee paid is 2.8 million pounds, this is extremely optimistic thinking. I'd he happy with enough to convert to the max TAM allowable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Considering Rosenborg's biggest ever transfer fee paid is 2.8 million pounds, this is extremely optimistic thinking. I'd he happy with enough to convert to the max TAM allowable.

As someone already noted, perhaps we're just selling 50%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Tend to agree with you on this. Can anyone think of any examples of a MLS player his age who went to Europe with a minimal track record but a perception of having high potential? Tough to think of one but I’m sure it exists.

To me, it feels like a million, not millions. But what to I know?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.wakingthered.com/2023/2/...e-over-toronto

decent profile of rosted by a brondby supporter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

That's really positive.

The "he isn't as fast" bit is a bit worrisome, as Hedges is also slow. I saw one reference online to him being athletic and was hoping that meant quick, as we've only had one fleet-footed central defender.

But the passing stuff is very positive, particularly spotting long-range opportunities. Hedges is also a corner threat, so that should be really interesting. Having the two of them up and the two fullbacks back could create real havoc on set pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Can't see Rosenberg paying more then 1-1.5M max. Still can convert most of it to GAM as he's homegrown. Decent sell on % will be key.
    MLS question: What is the maximum amount/percentage of a homegrown transfer fee that can be used as GAM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ag futbol;1978980]Tend to agree with you on this. Can anyone think of any examples of a MLS player his age who went to Europe with a minimal track record but a perception of having high potential? Tough to think of one but I’m sure it exists.

To me, it feels like a million, not millions. But what to I know?[/QU

paxton arronson is kinda similar he went for a about 4 mil i think he has a value of about 4.5 on transfer market jayden has a value of 4 mil on transfer market ,what ever that means

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably get a lower up front fee with a bigger % sell on clause if they can't stump up the cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Tend to agree with you on this. Can anyone think of any examples of a MLS player his age who went to Europe with a minimal track record but a perception of having high potential? Tough to think of one but I’m sure it exists.

To me, it feels like a million, not millions. But what to I know?
    I know there have been some, as occasionally I'll see a player's bio from a Euro league and it'll mention he was a youth player at Dallas or Toronto or Philly etc, and we never saw them in the first teams. If they have parents or grandparents with foreign passports, they often go before they get to MLS level and we just never hear about them.

If Jayden and JMR had foreign passports I imagine they'd have been long gone. But they have to quality as "exceptional prospects" to get a work permit in most countries (some, like Portugal, are very liberal with this. Others, like England, aren't) and even then can't sign until they're 18.

Whereas a 16 year old with ties to a country can go over as a youth, join a new academy, get schooling there etc.

Even kids who don't have someone from that country as a relative may see their parents allowed to settle there as an economic refugee, dependent on relative immigration policy, and quite a few countries will grant that status to parents IF they have a kid who is an exceptional fooballer. SO the whole family moves.

I was watching some game a few weeks ago -- Leeds in the FA cup? Something like that -- and one of the opposing team's players had two years with Toronto FC Academy. He'd also had two years with some lower level English academy BEFORE us, another two with, I think, Chelsea's academy right AFTER us. It was quite the journey; he spent his teen years in three countries and six clubs, something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Great to read - thanks for posting it.

This bit might be the cause for concern: “He isn’t the fastest player, especially not on the first meters. If playing in a system with high and aggressive pressure, he tends to struggle as that leaves a lot of space behind him for quick strikers. He is best when defending deeper on the pitch, where his size gives him bigger advantages.”

Should be very interesting to see how this effects us and how B. Bradley’s thinking takes into account our relative lack of speed in the centre of defence and throughout the midfield.

The main reason I was thinking Mavinga might be back on a lower wage was his speed. On the other hand, bringing in VV, slow as molasses but who rarely gives the ball away in bad places, doesn’t suggesting Bradley is especially looking for speed.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-07-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    The main reason I was thinking Mavinga might be back on a lower wage was his speed.
    I think the moment Kei Kamara torched him by getting on his inside, he was done with Bob. Such a fundamental thing to not allow, and he was just completely outmuscled.

A few people have suggested we'll see more possession this year, without being constantly pushed up right to the center line, and this would support it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watching Wrexham's FA cup replay? Paul Mullin's only on about $450,000 a year. Reminds me of Luke Rodgers in that he plays well above the league he's in. I know he struggled a bit in League One at one point but often a team's situation determines a lot of a young striker's success.

Now that he's got some pedigree, it's worth noting he was already scoring 20 a season in League Two when Wrexham signed him.

I think he'd do very well in MLS. He's a smart, tidy player and a decent finisher. He doesn't have the second-gear speed, so he'll never make Prem.

Ah well, too much risk of failure to ever happen but it would be interesting. I'd take a flyer for the publicity alone. Wrexham's suddenly massive U.S. fan base would go apeshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the moment Kei Kamara torched him by getting on his inside, he was done with Bob. Such a fundamental thing to not allow, and he was just completely outmuscled.

A few people have suggested we'll see more possession this year, without being constantly pushed up right to the center line, and this would support it.
    Ah, could be - that was quite a dreadful moment with Mavinga, maybe his worst. Although he was prone to the occasional huge blunder, including his very first match with us. There were a lot of epic highlight reel saves and failures. I’m still thinking that without the major off the pitch distractions he could still be good. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in L.A.

And yeah, I think it’s got to be possession this year, given the current roster. I’m all for that The closer we get to full on gegenpress as style, the more I lose interest. A fan always but some ways of playing are more nourishing to watch… if good football is what one wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like everything that happened to Mavinga in that moment was about what’s in his head away from football and not about his ability. Spending years not pairing the guy with a proper parter was stupid too, like sending him up the mountain without a map.

If Chris Mavinga can focus and play at his best shows up in LA is anyone’s guess. But I think he still has the tools. It’s just the mental side where he hopefully gets past the hurdles.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-07-2023 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I feel like everything that happened to Mavinga in that moment was about what’s in his head away from football and not about his ability. Spending years not pairing the guy with a proper parter was stupid too, like sending him up the mountain without a map.

If Chris Mavinga can focus and play at his best shows up in LA is anyone’s guess. But I think he still has the tools. It’s just the mental side where he hopefully gets past the hurdles.
    Pundits are currently predicting they'll play a 3-5-2 with Mavinga starting on the left-central side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob saying that Singh looked more ready than initially anticipated is intriguing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Bob saying that Singh looked more ready than initially anticipated is intriguing
    Getting playing time in the CPL perhaps made a big difference? They thought he was a prospect for his natural ability, but it was a total inability to read the game that doomed him, among other things.

Maybe some stuff stuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    MLS question: What is the maximum amount/percentage of a homegrown transfer fee that can be used as GAM?
    "The club may assign up to $1,102,5000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations

That page will update after Roster Compliance with any changes for 2023

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Jayden's going to Norway. Enjoy working with Saeter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Chances are we get the details tomorrow or Thursday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watching Wrexham's FA cup replay? Paul Mullin's only on about $450,000 a year. Reminds me of Luke Rodgers in that he plays well above the league he's in. I know he struggled a bit in League One at one point but often a team's situation determines a lot of a young striker's success. Now that he's got some pedigree, it's worth noting he was already scoring 20 a season in League Two when Wrexham signed him. I think he'd do very well in MLS. He's a smart, tidy player and a decent finisher. He doesn't have the second-gear speed, so he'll never make Prem. Ah well, too much risk of failure to ever happen but it would be interesting. I'd take a flyer for the publicity alone. Wrexham's suddenly massive U.S. fan base would go apeshit.
    Am following the club. Agree, would be an interesting/ideal candidate; I also like Ollie Palmer. Only issue, IIRC, one of Paul's key considerations for joining Wrexham, supposedly had lots of L1 offers, was being closer to home/family; young children. Wrexham to Merseyside is about an hour and a half commute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting detail offered in the Room 4-4-2 post by Michael Singh on Jayden Nelson. I do not believe he has misspoken. Also fits with JN's PR highlight release from the other day. May be somewhat concerning for, and related to the discussion by, many in the community on the development/retention of TFC youth. Seems, as I am interpreting it, JN 'wanted' to go. Perhaps like MAK/others; felt he has reached an impasse with the club; minutes/progress. MS states at about 40SEC... "Now I think he is gonna get a move he has wanted a long-time in his career"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now, people, meet your good-time 'San Remo' ( think Eurovision ) Italians having some fun in the sun...

Team seems to be gelling. I'm getting a sensation this season could be epic...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-07-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not talking about MLS dude. There are hundreds of strikers good enough to start in MLS. You can throw a shoe at any professional league above, approximately, El Salvador and find a striker who we could sign if willing to pay. He's talking about the big five leagues and the race for a dozen or so of the best young strikers, guys with future value and instant impact.
    I disagree somewhat; would like to qualify. You are correct, of course he is not talking about MLS, and yes, throw a dart at a world map, find a striker. My point is from the perspective of a daisy chain of the more desirables, the inter-connectivity of such matters, marketplace spots filled and the opening spots subsequently created, will offer opportunity for TFC targets and create them competition; example Belotti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I disagree somewhat; would like to qualify. You are correct, of course he is not talking about MLS, and yes, throw a dart at a world map, find a striker. My point is from the perspective of a daisy chain of the more desirables, the inter-connectivity of such matters, marketplace spots filled and the opening spots subsequently created, will offer opportunity for TFC targets and create them competition; example Belotti.
    Yeah, I'll buy that argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rostad and McNaughton can have a model off, ala Zoolander.
    Well then? Will you buy this argument? I will give you a Lukas and a Siggi and raise you a Fede... commanding pose in full glory stance of the San Gorgonio Pass Winds @ 19SEC or so.