Page 148 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 5193
  1. #4411
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Quite reasonable all around. And I think the timeframe of “a couple of games to gel” as one poster put it is not impossible but not to be expected with our back 5 (six if you include both keepers) never having played together in a league match.
    Hopefully Bob recognizes it and pushes a keep it simple formula for the beginning weeks/months.

  2. #4412
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Quite reasonable all around. And I think the timeframe of “a couple of games to gel” as one poster put it is not impossible but not to be expected with our back 5 (six if you include both keepers) never having played together in a league match.
    They're all so experienced, I don't think it'll take long. We may have been scarred by having the kids play so much over the last two seasons.

  3. #4413
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're all so experienced, I don't think it'll take long. We may have been scarred by having the kids play so much over the last two seasons.
    honestly though - I may have completely forgotten what in position defense looks like in transition

  4. #4414
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,274
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    I just realized you said I don't have a good feel.

    I read incorrectly as "I don't have a good feeling".

    My bad everybody, totally reasonable post that actually encapsulates what I think too.

    We've made some good signings but you never know til you see some games.

    My apologies ensco.
    1) I accept this, thanks. We all misread posts. I am really not looking for an argument

    2) I made the point that this is part of a pattern. This was not a one off. If it was a one off, nobody would have cared. You may want to think about that. Up to you if you want to ignore that, fine. But the pattern was really my point.

    No need to answer. Happy to move on.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

  5. #4415
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    6,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think getting Rosted, Hedges, Petretta and Johnson in before our second training camp is huge for helping them gel and be ready for the season opener. That is a backline of 5 guys (including Richie) who haven't played together before that need to get minutes together in preseason.

  6. #4416
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I think getting Rosted, Hedges, Petretta and Johnson in before our second training camp is huge for helping them gel and be ready for the season opener. That is a backline of 5 guys (including Richie) who haven't played together before that need to get minutes together in preseason.
    I'm simply hoping that this season any time the ball gets into our end I don't have to have the extreme anxiety that occurred like last season.

  7. #4417
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    1) I accept this, thanks. We all misread posts. I am really not looking for an argument

    2) I made the point that this is part of a pattern. This was not a one off. If it was a one off, nobody would have cared. You may want to think about that. Up to you if you want to ignore that, fine. But the pattern was really my point.

    No need to answer. Happy to move on.
    i've been trying to not get into stuff for last while, hence editing my post immediately after reacting badly.

    we all want the same things here.

  8. #4418
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    so since we havent announced any deal for nelson to go to europe, does that mean he's staying?

    is there any country with window still open that he could join, potentially?

    or they could have a deal agreed, not announced yet.

  9. #4419
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    For wingers, he was okay, but he did not tackle/defend nearly enough for a midfield role.

    I agree with this, and tbh too many times I watched him dog tracking back. I want my DM to be a beast and make people know if they get the ball, they don't have much time because they are going to be hunted (whether by aggression or excellent reading of the play). I just don't see that being in Nelsons game, i would be happy to be wrong.

    Now going forward... i think he has huge potential to take people on but he hesitates, so many times i thought if he pushed harder in the box he cold have drawn penalties or created opportunities but he would hold back.... hopefully he can learn from some of the best in the final third and keep focusing on the attack. I just dont see him as a defender.

  10. #4420
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    6,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    so since we havent announced any deal for nelson to go to europe, does that mean he's staying?

    is there any country with window still open that he could join, potentially?

    or they could have a deal agreed, not announced yet.
    Seems like he is staying for the time being. Unless I missed something, I think Singh saying he would likely be moving to Europe is the only real source of that. And that could easily of been Jayden's agent feeding that to him to try and drum up some interest.

  11. #4421
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Seems like he is staying for the time being. Unless I missed something, I think Singh saying he would likely be moving to Europe is the only real source of that. And that could easily of been Jayden's agent feeding that to him to try and drum up some interest.
    bob didn't exactly shoot it down when he was asked if he would be leaving.

    but seeing as january is done, likely staying.

    which is good, he filled in ably in MAK role through the end of last year, and should be even better with another year under his belt.

  12. #4422
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    bob didn't exactly shoot it down when he was asked if he would be leaving.

    but seeing as january is done, likely staying.

    which is good, he filled in ably in MAK role through the end of last year, and should be even better with another year under his belt.
    Not QUITE going to say ably, but he performed admirably given circumstances.

  13. #4423
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Not QUITE going to say ably, but he performed admirably given circumstances.
    fair. let's hope he can take another leap this year.

  14. #4424
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're all so experienced, I don't think it'll take long. We may have been scarred by having the kids play so much over the last two seasons.
    Maybe so. I remember going the local to watch the second match of the season and thinking “these guys (with kids out of position) are just about hopeless if this is really the roster”. And it was, and they were. But realistically the new back four with new keeper should know each other better by summer. (And not to say they can’t be good early on.)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-01-2023 at 02:13 PM.

  15. #4425
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thinking of the central defenders we really have height (Hedges, 6’ 4” and Rosted, 6’ 3”), O’Neil is good in the air, MacNaughton tenacious also.

  16. #4426
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Thinking of the central defenders we really have height (Hedges, 6’ 4” and Rosted, 6’ 3”), O’Neil is good in the air, MacNaughton tenacious also.
    MacNaughton did score that nice header off of (arguably one of the best in MLS) outside of the foot cross by Berna's in the can championship finals.

  17. #4427
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    3,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I believe that header was the header that won them the championship in that season two years ago at the very end.
    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Thinking of the central defenders we really have height (Hedges, 6’ 4” and Rosted, 6’ 3”), O’Neil is good in the air, MacNaughton tenacious also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    MacNaughton did score that nice header off of (arguably one of the best in MLS) outside of the foot cross by Berna's in the can championship finals.
    IIUC, most or all of Siggi's goals at Brondby were headers... and nice/commanding ones.

  18. #4428
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://www.torontofc.ca/video/lates...ebruary-1-2023

    press conference with sean johnson available now, good stuff

  19. #4429
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    4,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cavalini is going to Xolos in Liga MX so strike his name off any potential signing list

  20. #4430
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sean Johnson got the Drake treatment. Also, to those that speculated the importance of a player's partner, SJ basically confirms their input was critical.

  21. #4431
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Sean Johnson got the Drake treatment. Also, to those that speculated the importance of a player's partner, SJ basically confirms their input was critical.
    I got the sense he's too level-headed to have been especially impressed. "I'd already met him," is a pretty telling comment. Then he pivots quickly to wanting to win.

    I like him.

  22. #4432
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Two pieces left. So close.

  23. #4433
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    6,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I got the sense he's too level-headed to have been especially impressed. "I'd already met him," is a pretty telling comment. Then he pivots quickly to wanting to win.

    I like him.
    He has a face for television and a voice for radio.

  24. #4434
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    He has a face for television and a voice for radio.
    also so diplomatic and measured in his responses, he could have a career in politics post playing career if he wanted

  25. #4435
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    6,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Two pieces left. So close.
    I would like one more signing (a CM who can fill in at both the 8 and 6) in this window and that DP spot (or two u-22 spots) filled in the July window after we see how Jesus, Dio and Ayo perform at striker, how much Bradley has left in the tank and if MAK is closer to his 2019 form or his 2022 display.

  26. #4436
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    5,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I would like one more signing (a CM who can fill in at both the 8 and 6) in this window and that DP spot (or two u-22 spots) filled in the July window after we see how Jesus, Dio and Ayo perform at striker, how much Bradley has left in the tank and if MAK is closer to his 2019 form or his 2022 display.
    Yep, this sounds about right.

  27. #4437
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I would like one more signing (a CM who can fill in at both the 8 and 6) in this window and that DP spot (or two u-22 spots) filled in the July window after we see how Jesus, Dio and Ayo perform at striker, how much Bradley has left in the tank and if MAK is closer to his 2019 form or his 2022 display.
    Interesting, I’m at needing a decent fullback on the bench and winger to fill in for the Italians.

    I think DM depth comes from rotating Oso/MAK into that position.

  28. #4438
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    17,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Euro story says Rosted is negotiating final details with TFC in Toronto. Wages and transfer pre agreed to meet the deadline, ancillary crap to work out (i.e. bonus structure, moving costs etc.)

  29. #4439
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    6,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Two pieces left. So close.
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Interesting, I’m at needing a decent fullback on the bench and winger to fill in for the Italians.

    I think DM depth comes from rotating Oso/MAK into that position.
    I can see wanting fullback cover and some wing depth. However, in my opinion, our midfield is the biggest question mark of all of our currently filled positions.

    Osorio is a club legend that I never want to leave, but his injury history has been really adding up lately.

    Bradley is our captain, but I have long maintained that he is the most powerful man in the organization. Even above his father and Manning. He still has legs, but someone check his minutes last year and justify why he is playing basically every minute of every game at 35.

    Kaye is... Well, pretty bad based on his TFC and CMNT performances I saw in the past 9 months. Am I some incredible talent scout? Hell no. I did see a player who lost his confidence though. His first touch was usually awful and he didn't show much ambition for defending. However, his time at LAFC with BB gives him atleast half a season of leeway.

  30. #4440
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think we get our U22 and possibly YDP before our primary window closes. There is some benefit in waiting for the Euro window to close, but making a deal in SA while their windows are still open.

    Players who were hoping/expecting a Euro move but didn't get one may be more amenable to a move to MLS now.

    Given that we can give them a showcase that extends for 24 games plus whatever Can champ and leagues Cup games we play before the next window is an incentive. Given what jhegson Mendez did in less appearances for Chicago last year, it could be quite tempting for the players. The opportunity to play with insigne and bernardeschi type players won't come often. I think this may have been strategic, as these adds are more like icing then cake. We have the cake, now is the time to add the icing. This is a good time to add young players who won't be expected to carry the attacking load, but to provide depth and cover, while showcasing themselves.
    Last edited by bought with blo; 02-01-2023 at 10:08 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •