Page 147 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    There are several factors that may impact an incoming player's anticipated performance. I suspect one of the key hurdles to overcome from such leagues/countries, that has been mentioned many times, is the adjustment to MLS's 'size'. The distances and travel involved for matches; the grind. It's not the 'Euro' typical few hours or hundreds of kilometers to a match; week in, week out. IIUC, Norway= 385,207/KM2, Denmark= 42,951/KM2, Ontario= 1.005M/KM2, USA= 9.834M/KM2 and CAD= 9.985M/KM2. Essentially, two times the country area set of Norway and Denmark fit into Ontario alone; and there is no other MLS Club in that space. More mind-boggling, 45 country area sets of Norway and Denmark combined fit into the USA and Canada. MLS's area and distances are juggernaut! Likely, only China or Russia leagues compare.
    The schedule this year is very friendly. We have one visit to the West Coast, one to Minnesota & one to Austin. All those are followed by a week off. Couple this with the "Saturday night is game night" routine & things might be less stressful for travel.

Our toughest stretch is late in the season - 6 games in 21 days with four of them away. At least all the travel is in the east & we are not flying scheduled flights anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The schedule this year is very friendly. We have one visit to the West Coast, one to Minnesota & one to Austin. All those are followed by a week off. Couple this with the "Saturday night is game night" routine & things might be less stressful for travel.

Our toughest stretch is late in the season - 6 games in 21 days with four of them away. At least all the travel is in the east & we are not flying scheduled flights anymore.
    Very informative. Thank you for sharing. Sounds promising/advantageous. Do your details account for (potential) matches of CC, Leagues Cup, any other tourno/s being suggested?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leagues cup is the same for everyone.

Cc is always a schedule head ache.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am always up for pre season endzone dancing… but I think I will wait until about week 6 before I have an opinion on this offseason. Except for the Johnson signing. That was fantastic, given the need, and the solution.

Petretta and Rosted are promising signings, but mysteries, until we see them play a few times.

We have a lot of gelling to do in a short time.

The amount of core turnover in the league this past offseason was off the charts. I don’t have a good feel for where we stack up.
    edit because misread the post
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-01-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    edit because not worth it.

some people will just never be happy.
    I think you misunderstood him - he isn't unhappy he literally stated he doesn't know how TFC will stack up VS the league as so many changes- like he doesn't know the identity or character of the team yet to make projections for the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit because not worth it.

some people will just never be happy.
    There is nobody on here who so regularly makes it about the poster not the post. OK you started it, let's go there. Who are you really? Who are you connected to, or trying to impress?

I don’t notice who the poster is mostly… but I sure notice you. This is like the 11th time you have done this to me, taken a reasonable comment than wasn’t just blind happiness for what is going on, and started throwing personal insults, making it a character defect. It just happens over and over again, and not just with me.

Most people here are just fans. You are different. You are picking fights, going out of your way to go after people who aren't otherwise engaging with you. You are some sort of vigilante hunting people who don’t tow the team line. You are damn good at this game you are playing too, agreeing with people selectively, building your credibility , you do know football too … but you use all that to just take down people who might negatively influence how the team is perceived. It's a pattern that goes on in a lot of social media. It's a damn shame it has arrived here.

I call bs, you are not just another fan, there is something else going on. You have created more reason to wonder about who you really are, and why you are here, than literally anyone else on here.

I have little doubt what is coming next from you. Whatever. I'll live. I will predict one thing you won’t do - run to a moderator.

For everyone else… My version of a public service announcement. Not looking to engage with this guy or on this topic any further. Take it or leave it.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-01-2023 at 07:07 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nobody on here who so regularly makes it about the poster not the post. OK you started it, let's go there. Who are you really? Who are you connected to, or trying to impress?

I don’t notice who the poster is mostly… but I sure notice you. This is like the 11th time you have done this to me, taken a reasonable comment than wasn’t just blind happiness for what is going on, and started throwing personal insults, making it a character defect. It just happens over and over again, and not just with me.

Most people here are just fans. You are different. You are picking fights, going out of your way to go after people who aren't otherwise engaging with you. You are some sort of vigilante hunting people who don’t tow the team line. You are damn good at this game you are playing too, agreeing with people selectively, building your credibility , you do know football too … but you use all that to just take down people who might negatively influence how the team is perceived. It's a pattern that goes on in a lot of social media. It's a damn shame it has arrived here.

I call bs, you are not just another fan, there is something else going on. You have created more reason to wonder about who you really are, and why you are here, than literally anyone else on here.

I have little doubt what is coming next from you. Whatever. I'll live. I will predict one thing you won’t do - run to a moderator.

For everyone else… My version of a public service announcement. Not looking to engage with this guy or on this topic any further. Take it or leave it.
    Strange post.

I literally edited my post to say I'm not going to interact because it's not worth it.

And I'm not going to.

Have a good day!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any rumours?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of us have a lot of respect for ensco

Need a CM - I don't trust Bradley as everyday

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I was the biggest drum banger for benching ALL the kids last year,

I will be the biggest drum banger for putting all the kids on the bench instead of on TFC II. They may not have been ready to play in 2022 at all, and certainly still aren't ready to play for 90 minutes. But they ARE ready to learn from the bench, play depth minutes, and spot-start. I'm bullish on their ability to play 600 minutes each, a quarter of a season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A lot of us have a lot of respect for ensco

Need a CM - I don't trust Bradley as everyday
    Thanks. A lot of us have a lot of respect for Og.

Re Bradley - I wonder if the plan is to play Oso a lot at DM and give Nelson serious minutes as an 8. I wouldn’t love it, but the team desperately needs a youth player to break out, and maybe Nelson is showing a new level… I dunno though.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I agree on this, i almost think last year was a calculated rebuild, they deliberately took the risk on missing out but never said it. I do think they wanted to make the play offs but injuries really screwed them, in the midfield in particular. But they also deliberately shedded contracts and gave the youth minutes, in many cases in wrong positions.

We still dont have depth, and a prolonged loss off any of starters (midfield in particular) will be problematic. But i think what some of them learned will be invaluable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    So I was the biggest drum banger for benching ALL the kids last year, I will be the biggest drum banger for putting all the kids on the bench instead of on TFC II. They may not have been ready to play in 2022 at all, and certainly still aren't ready to play for 90 minutes. But they ARE ready to learn from the bench, play depth minutes, and spot-start. I'm bullish on their ability to play 600 minutes each, a quarter of a season.
    This is fair and I am OK with the suggestion. As many kid candidates that make sense for TFC. Seems the typical/logical way of doing it; youth introduction to any line-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and in regards to that social media nonsense/fun involving SJ and the 'taken' moniker of 'Minister Of Defense' by Stephanie Labbe, perhaps a good ole compromise with an update to Title of 'Secretary Of Defense'; he is American. Makes sense, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange post.

I literally edited my post to say I'm not going to interact because it's not worth it.

And I'm not going to.

Have a good day!
    No, I think this is a look yourself in the mirror scenario.

I don't post often on this site but I lurk often. I come here for the timely transfer rumours/informed speculation and for the nuanced insights of posters like ensco, jloome and ogthedim. I do so despite the extreme posters like 223, Hala and you. 223 and Hala (the latter of which seems to have gone quiet) are relentlessly negative and bother me more because of the unfounded personal attacks on random athletes (Nephew Eric, Daddy Bradley) but most people can see exact who they are. You can laugh or roll your eyes and move on.

As ensco suggested, your posts seem somehow more insidious because they're relentlessly optimistic (a nice change for the internet) and usually show signs of footy knowledge but you're also just as prone to personal attacks as the "everything always sucks" crew. The post you took ensco to task for today can basically be summed up as "I'd like to be optimistic but I realize there are too many unknowns to know for sure." Humble and balanced...but in the portion of your post that you chose not to edit, you wrote it off as "some people will just never be happy". Reserving judgement isn't the same thing as mindless pessimism, which is what you're implying it is.

There are a lot of companies that have employees that use social media to manipulate public opinion. I'm not saying that's you but I can understand why ensco's spidey-sense is tingling in that regard. If he's off-base, maybe demonstrate it by trying to view things with an objective filter, or at very least stop taking others to task if they do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange post.

And I'm not going to.

Have a good day!
    Not even remotely strange. I’ve intimated the same, you’ve denied it. But it’s clearly not just Ensco.

We agree on a lot. But you are relentlessly positive even when there are clear reasons to be more balanced, and you attack posters rather than than their argument regularly.

It’s no less tiresome from you than the aforementioned individuals. This is a discussion board, not a hype site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. A lot of us have a lot of respect for Og.

Re Bradley - I wonder if the plan is to play Oso a lot at DM and give Nelson serious minutes as an 8. I wouldn’t love it, but the team desperately needs a youth player to break out, and maybe Nelson is showing a new level… I dunno though.
    Personally think it should be the other way around. Nelson does not display good sense around the box. He can't see offensive openings, he can't read teammates movement well. So in a free-flowing offense, particularly coming from wide, he's completely lost as an effective piece on the board.

But as a central midfielder, he was stronger because his responsibilities were much simpler to handle; basically covering vertical movement in a zone.

I think he'd be a great DM. He tackles well, he's strong despite his size, he's quick, he can hold up and hold onto the ball on the dribble, and he can make an accurate short pass. Reading lanes and zones is tough for him, so a poisiton where he's always in the middle or back third as an anchor would limit that.

As a number eight he works too, but his speed to me says to use him as pressure. I watch a lot of Leeds United and Brendan Aaronson is playing there now. After a few good games near the start, he's been sort of found out as too physically small to battle in the box and be an offensive presence, performances degrading continually since November. BUT he's fantastic at pressing high; he's an excellent defensive forward. When he's doing that -- and pretty much only that right now -- he's very effective.

Teams need a wrecker. Turn him into a wrecker. He's never going to make it at this level as a forward and his judgment makes even being a number eight dicey. But he could probably be trained to be a number six.

Oso was decent as a number six -- we had dual eights, really, where he took the brunt of going backwards, when he and Delgado were together in a two. But he's wasted as a six, really. His close control around the box says he should be a ten, an eight for our practical purposes.

I don't believe tactically in the notion of "three eights." If specialization in the middle of the field wasn't important, people wouldn't do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Personally think it should be the other way around. Nelson does not display good sense around the box. He can't see offensive openings, he can't read teammates movement well. So in a free-flowing offense, particularly coming from wide, he's completely lost as an effective piece on the board.

But as a central midfielder, he was stronger because his responsibilities were much simpler to handle; basically covering vertical movement in a zone.

I think he'd be a great DM. He tackles well, he's strong despite his size, he's quick, he can hold up and hold onto the ball on the dribble, and he can make an accurate short pass. Reading lanes and zones is tough for him, so a poisiton where he's always in the middle or back third as an anchor would limit that.

As a number eight he works too, but his speed to me says to use him as pressure. I watch a lot of Leeds United and Brendan Aaronson is playing there now. After a few good games near the start, he's been sort of found out as too physically small to battle in the box and be an offensive presence, performances degrading continually since November. BUT he's fantastic at pressing high; he's an excellent defensive forward. When he's doing that -- and pretty much only that right now -- he's very effective.

Teams need a wrecker. Turn him into a wrecker. He's never going to make it at this level as a forward and his judgment makes even being a number eight dicey. But he could probably be trained to be a number six.

Oso was decent as a number six -- we had dual eights, really, where he took the brunt of going backwards, when he and Delgado were together in a two. But he's wasted as a six, really. His close control around the box says he should be a ten, an eight for our practical purposes.

I don't believe tactically in the notion of "three eights." If specialization in the middle of the field wasn't important, people wouldn't do it.
    The thing is, Bradley at his prime wasn't just a short passer, he could distribute pretty well out too. Nelson is still going to struggle passing correctly (from a mental perspective), and putting him at DM would exacerbate that if he's expected to not just make a decision, but the best one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Re Bradley - I wonder if the plan is to play Oso a lot at DM and give Nelson serious minutes as an 8. I wouldn’t love it, but the team desperately needs a youth player to break out, and maybe Nelson is showing a new level… I dunno though.
    Since you have suggested it, and others, IIRC, have also mentioned it, even jloome perhaps?, I would like broach that thought/subject. That is, could/would/should Oso transition, eventually, not only into TFC's 'Captaincy' but also into a more, the typical, MBradley-esque position... at times a #4/#6/#8 hybrid? Although it was in partnership with Delgado a few years back, Oso seemed more than capable to handle it with a potential to excel in that role; to be 'that guy'. To me, Nelson seemed to be 'inspired' by the Italians; especially Lolo. IDK about giving him the 'serious' minutes; for now, I prefer Yuushalinsky's perspective. Maybe he has up-ed his game and is deserving of that opportunity. Maybe we sign someone; someone young we can afford at the #8/#10; S_n_r_... Pat I would like to buy a vowel/s.

Edit... Oh boy, am I slow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the 8 role. It takes away Nelson’s penchant for standing over the ball and overthinking what he’s going to do. Forces him to make quick decisions and uses his pace. It’s also then when some of his skill comes out and it feels natural as opposed to forced.

He just needs to sharpen up his defending and show more awareness of what he should be doing (especially in the defensive third). I think the better passing / vision could come with time. He’s a frustrating development project but after last year I’m intrigued of the potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, Bradley at his prime wasn't just a short passer, he could distribute pretty well out too. Nelson is still going to struggle passing correctly (from a mental perspective), and putting him at DM would exacerbate that if he's expected to not just make a decision, but the best one.
    With the attacking options and creativity we have I think that is more a 'feature not bug'. I want a DM who is focused on getting the ball and keeping the ball, just move it with the easy pass to the more creative passers. We've too much creativity for someone trying to play make from back there, the best option will almost certainly be feeding it to the players who can truly make things happen and stay out of their way

I've always argued we've played too many high risk low reward, possession squandering passes from that area when simpler options are available that will yield better results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Steve Buffery... Siggi is 'the beef'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DMs traditionally have the highest passing completion rates because they're usually an outlet passer; they're just shuttling the ball to someone more progressive. yeah, there are greats who can lather the field with long, accurate, line-breaking passes. But most of them don't need to be the best passers, just technically competent enough to take the easy option.

I tend to think the decision making is less onerous, too, becasue there's usually one option when the other team is trying to run by you at speed: stop the ball, or block the ball, or tackle the ball, or disrupt movement.

So I respectfully disagree. I think it's that much more limiting a role, which would benefit him.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    With the attacking options and creativity we have I think that is more a 'feature not bug'. I want a DM who is focused on getting the ball and keeping the ball, just move it with the easy pass to the more creative passers. We've too much creativity for someone trying to play make from back there, the best option will almost certainly be feeding it to the players who can truly make things happen and stay out of their way

I've always argued we've played too many high risk low reward, possession squandering passes from that area when simpler options are available that will yield better results
    Yeah, this. AN anchor, a wrecker. They converted Frankie Amaya from a wide-favoring forward to a DM at Cincinnati and he's now one of the best in the league at NY. He's also undersized, fast and technically skilled, but was getting nowhere as an offensive player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this idea. I've been wanting Osorio at the 6 but Nelson makes more sense. He actually has all the tools for this if it gets knocked into him to do less and simplify everything in his game. He could probably be molded into a lesser version of JDG and that's fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson as a 6 I like better than Oso as a 6, just because Oso has the potential to be awesome with the Italians…. IF Nelson can do it.

Can Nelson win 50/50 balls, break up plays, tackle? I just don’t remember seeing it …

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson as a 6 I like better than Oso as a 6, just because Oso has the potential to be awesome with the Italians…. IF Nelson can do it.

Can Nelson win 50/50 balls, break up plays, tackle? I just don’t remember seeing it …
    For wingers, he was okay, but he did not tackle/defend nearly enough for a midfield role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think JN moves by the summer.they need that 6/8 guy now for starts and subs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always up for pre season endzone dancing… but I think I will wait until about week 6 before I have an opinion on this offseason. Except for the Johnson signing. That was fantastic, given the need, and the solution.

Petretta and Rosted are promising signings, but mysteries, until we see them play a few times.

The amount of core turnover in the league this past offseason was off the charts. I don’t have a good feel for where we stack up.
    I just realized you said I don't have a good feel.

I read incorrectly as "I don't have a good feeling".

My bad everybody, totally reasonable post that actually encapsulates what I think too.

We've made some good signings but you never know til you see some games.

My apologies ensco.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did break up plays and tackle but it was usually in a manic attempt to clean up after one of his giveaways and because it was reactionary, it usually equalled a foul conceded.

I am sure he won some 50/50's. Wasn't that long range goal he got last season off a 50/50 win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite reasonable all around. And I think the timeframe of “a couple of games to gel” as one poster put it is not impossible but not to be expected with our back 5 (six if you include both keepers) never having played together in a league match.