Page 146 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think from what people around TFC II have said, Themi Antonoglou has as high a top end and is probably close to being able deputize competently as a defensive midfielder or left back, he played both.

I know we don't want to depend on the kids, but competent spot duty, particularly late in games we've already won, will bring them along quicker than just assumign we wait for the one Alphonso-like diamond who can just jump levels repeatedly.
    specifically with that context, I'm happy with the season. We COULD use a couple more depth pieces but so far, bring up the kids and let's roll the dice. We'll see if JJ/Akinola/Diomande are the answers soon enough and that's probably where we get our DP if they're not. Otherwise, give me Michael Bradley 2.0.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    regardless, looks like his budget charge will be 375- 425K/ season, very good for a starting CB.
    Not much above what O’Neil is on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511K over 3 years/4 years is pretty insignificant.

(i think you did conversion to CAD, but MLS uses USD).

for reference, we got 300-350K for luca petrasso, a depth LB in any decent MLS squad.
    My bet is some of these transfer fees get charged off in year 1 with allocation dollars as opposed to amortized over the life of the deal. Makes more sense that way. But either way, doesn’t seem like a big nugget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Not much above what O’Neil is on.
    O'Neil's performances last year were below his past general standard. He has always been known for the odd brain freeze but has generally been dependable and difficult to beat. Maybe with a line leader like hedges, he gets it back together this year. McNaughton may be too late along to become a first-teamer, but he certainly looked disciplined and technically intelligent enough early in the season; his aggressive foray brain cramps all came later in the year, when trying to do too much.

I saw someone online ripping him as being poor in the air. Total nonsense! He had multiple five-plus aerial clearance games, including NINE against NAshville. He's a monster in the box. When he had issues there it was being pulled out of shape and leaving the back post exposed, which seems to be the bete noir of all teams that press high.

He's not great at shot blocking. But he passes well, he makes 3.5 clearances per game. He's a decent center half.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-31-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are teams allowed to change someone from DP to TAM midseason?

Would it be possible to say use Bradley as a DP to begin the season (to save some TAM buying him down), then in July we get a new DP and Bradley essentially takes over Laryea's TAM spot (Richie I believe is on$1.1 and MB on $1.5). Could this enable us to sign an extra TAM guy now (assuming there's enough available to even do this if possible) - [ie. this would only be if Richie doesn't return]

ie. Now: Richie and NEW TAM (on TAM), MB as DP
    July: MB and NEW TAM (on TAM), NEW DP as DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    https://twitter.com/F_Abolhosseini/s...03465620566017

3.5 million kroner - a close to $700,000 transfer fee for Rosted. Gonna need confirmation from a more well-known source but this does sour the deal for me somewhat slightly. Over 2/3 years it's probably a lot better but it does feel like an overpay within a cap league.
    $511,000 USD based on today's exchange rate. Still a very affordable fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Are teams allowed to change someone from DP to TAM midseason?

Would it be possible to say use Bradley as a DP to begin the season (to save some TAM buying him down), then in July we get a new DP and Bradley essentially takes over Laryea's TAM spot (Richie I believe is on$1.1 and MB on $1.5). Could this enable us to sign an extra TAM guy now (assuming there's enough available to even do this if possible) - [ie. this would only be if Richie doesn't return]

ie. Now: Richie and NEW TAM (on TAM), MB as DP
    July: MB and NEW TAM (on TAM), NEW DP as DP
    Based on my read of the rules, you're allowed to change someone from DP to TAM throughout the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officially official according to Brondby.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe NOW the TFC journos will talk about this (have seen no MLS journo on this at all today)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So maybe NOW the TFC journos will talk about this (have seen no MLS journo on this at all today)
    The TFC guys will all tweet now like they are breaking the news.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The TFC guys will all tweet now like they are breaking the news.
    "As per" is what they all should say...lets see.

Edit: Singh out first - no "as per"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As per" is what they all should say...lets see.

Edit: Singh out first - no "as per"
    very possible he knew about this in advance but frankly, with how many people have mentioned this, he should at least give some credit to someone. Kinda expected out of him, tbh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro doing it right

(see what you've done to us, jloome - us in here caring about referencing sources)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For jloome... apart from his looks... got some style... BTW... I looovvve CB's playing 'bangdaged-up'...

...and a GIF!...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-31-2023 at 04:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that header was the header that won them the championship in that season two years ago at the very end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro doing it right

(see what you've done to us, jloome - us in here caring about referencing sources)

Good! We're ahead of the curve. I mean, the whole "anybody says anything at anytime" really isn't working for humanity, let's be frank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    For jloome... apart from his looks... got some style... BTW... I looovvve CB's playing 'bangdaged-up'...

...and a GIF!...

He's a Handy Scandi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goodness, the torrent of TFC coverage today is almost too much to take. There must be 1 articles covering the massive changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goodness, the torrent of TFC coverage today is almost too much to take. There must be 1 articles covering the massive changes.
    Whoa now, the club itself is always trying to attract social media attention with it's singular daily tweet containing a generic phrase like "grind don't stop" and four photos of training sessions that usually consist of JMR and Jayden Nelson smiling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm... Siggi squad number? 4? 15? 5?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so next on the agenda:

depth at cdm, cm, fullback, winger (often one depth piece can fill multiple roles)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so next on the agenda:

depth at cdm, cm, fullback, winger (often one depth piece can fill multiple roles)
    So basically a cheaper Osorio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are pretty close to fielding a really good team.

I am bullish about the coming season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. I believe we have the defensive pieces in place now. It might take a couple of games for them all to gel, but I think the foundation is there (Hedges/Rosted = Moore/Mavinga redux?). I'm a little leery about Rosted mostly because he played in Norway and the last defender that I recall that came to MLS from there was Vadim Demidov in Minn U's first season - he only lasted 2 games before he was pulled from starting.
    I expect BB wanted to make sure the defence was credible by preseason and then observe the offence over the first two months before fine-tuning/tinkering those forward positions that prove to be weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Neil's performances last year were below his past general standard. He has always been known for the odd brain freeze but has generally been dependable and difficult to beat. Maybe with a line leader like hedges, he gets it back together this year. McNaughton may be too late along to become a first-teamer, but he certainly looked disciplined and technically intelligent enough early in the season; his aggressive foray brain cramps all came later in the year, when trying to do too much.

I saw someone online ripping him as being poor in the air. Total nonsense! He had multiple five-plus aerial clearance games, including NINE against NAshville. He's a monster in the box. When he had issues there it was being pulled out of shape and leaving the back post exposed, which seems to be the bete noir of all teams that press high.

He's not great at shot blocking. But he passes well, he makes 3.5 clearances per game. He's a decent center half.
    That’s more or less what I saw and also inferred from his pretty solid reputation in Seattle as a good third centre half - someone who can start a stretch of matches when required. Pretty solid defending that side usually and not the chaos we often were.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8 days ago, our only big signing was Hedges & reclamation project for a CF.

Things have changed.

OK, we have to stay healthy but that backline is solid & in this league, that goes a long way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. I believe we have the defensive pieces in place now. It might take a couple of games for them all to gel, but I think the foundation is there (Hedges/Rosted = Moore/Mavinga redux?). I'm a little leery about Rosted mostly because he played in Norway and the last defender that I recall that came to MLS from there was Vadim Demidov in Minn U's first season - he only lasted 2 games before he was pulled from starting.
    I expect BB wanted to make sure the defence was credible by preseason and then observe the offence over the first two months before fine-tuning/tinkering those forward positions that prove to be weak.
    There are several factors that may impact an incoming player's anticipated performance. I suspect one of the key hurdles to overcome from such leagues/countries, that has been mentioned many times, is the adjustment to MLS's 'size'. The distances and travel involved for matches; the grind. It's not the 'Euro' typical few hours or hundreds of kilometers to a match; week in, week out. IIUC, Norway= 385,207/KM2, Denmark= 42,951/KM2, Ontario= 1.005M/KM2, USA= 9.834M/KM2 and CAD= 9.985M/KM2. Essentially, two times the country area set of Norway and Denmark fit into Ontario alone; and there is no other MLS Club in that space. More mind-boggling, 45 country area sets of Norway and Denmark combined fit into the USA and Canada. MLS's area and distances are juggernaut! Likely, only China or Russia leagues compare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Bradley knows Rosted from his time in Norway but the past five seasons he’s played in Belgium (Gent, 37 appearances in 2017-18) and Denmark (84 for Brondby).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always up for pre season endzone dancing… but I think I will wait until about week 6 before I have an opinion on this offseason. Except for the Johnson signing. That was fantastic, given the need, and the solution.

Petretta and Rosted are promising signings, but mysteries, until we see them play a few times.

We have a lot of gelling to do in a short time.

The amount of core turnover in the league this past offseason was off the charts. I don’t have a good feel for where we stack up.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-31-2023 at 09:40 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”