Page 139 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5193
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I am no GK coach but to my eyes, all the keepers under Conway's watch got worse at distribution and box command. These happen to be things that Conway himself was poor at when he played and pretty much all MLS GKs were poor at in that era of MLS. Now the shot stopping was fine but I assume that's probably Conway's priority in training, much like it was in his playing days.

Now is it a smart move to expect a keeper who was poor at distribution (and probably poorly trained at it too) to teach and drill distribution and bring about improvements? Not sure but in any other specialized training job a manager would never appoint someone to do that role with his CV or keep them after it's been shown to not be working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    You are absolutely right, but it still doesn’t explain one thing. If Conway isn’t helping any of our keepers get better, why is he still here?
    Again, it presumes they can be made better. Goalies have to train. But if he doesn't improve them substantively, it might also be that they both peaked ages ago. Footballers decline whether their coaches are good or not.

I'm not saying he's a good coach, I'm saying we don't know either way. I'm not sure why people seem inclined to single him out, either, except that it's easy because we know he's in charge of one position's training.

And tying his own performance to his training is just irrational. Most field coaches aren't even former players. Are we assuming none of them belong there? Or that Paul Stalteri, for example, can't coach central players because he only played wide?

Nah. Proof is in examing everything, and since none of us can get an accurate picture of what he actually does for a living and how it compares with others, it's all just negative supposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    While he didn't make Bono any better, I feel it's worth pointing out that once the 2017 Drew Moor led defence departed, Bono's numbers were consistently bad, consistently two goals per game against. he didn't decline under Conway's coaching, he just didn't get any better.

As Og, myself and many have observed over the years, he seems to have real vision issues with picking up shots late. It crushes his confidence regularly. When everything's in close, like that Chicago game, he's a monster keeper. But usually that's not the case, so...

Not sure Conway could ever have resolved that.

Also, it's too presumptious to assume the coach is to blame without looking at methodology, motivational skil... the actual work that coach is putting in. I mean, I get the general sentiment of "I bet that's the problem," but we have no way of knowing whether a different coach would've done better, because we have no access to the actual process or comparisons.
    Conway's job is solely focused on 1 position. Bono was a highly thought of prospect who got time in the US National team setup. Skills should have progressed and not regressed over time.

If Bono had issues that were not coachable then Conway should have been intimately aware of these working with him for hours a day for multiple years and have advised the front office likely stopping them from sinking a massive sum into resigning him in 2018.

Conway was the GK coach in the academy before the TFC gig in 2014 and I am sure he has had input with the academy since he was promoted to first team. Where are our homegrown goalie prospects from the past 9 years?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and we're back at the conway ruins goalkeepers talk.

time is a flat circle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not know the state of the Academy training since Covid-19 times but I had the time to watching training at Downsview for a total of three years.
    All of the coaches looked after on field players.
    Always and I mean always the three or four young goalkeepers of different age groups practiced between themselves without any coach in site.
    Then in goal for the scrimmages to end a session.
    Not once in the 3 years did I see Conway and in just my opinion if the coaching is not good enough then it is time for a change.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kobe Franklin is in camp with the first team. Got to think a MLS deal is in the cards, especially if he has an impressive showing.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    I do not know the state of the Academy training since Covid-19 times but I had the time to watching training at Downsview for a total of three years.
    All of the coaches looked after on field players.
    Always and I mean always the three or four young goalkeepers of different age groups practiced between themselves without any coach in site.
    Then in goal for the scrimmages to end a session.
    Not once in the 3 years did I see Conway and in just my opinion if the coaching is not good enough then it is time for a change.
    Given your Registered User handle, I suspect you may have a particular interest in the position and perspective on the matter; some Black Spider insight.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-26-2023 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Napoleon shot a general every couple of months. Pour encourager les autres.

The “facts” are always hard to establish. You are your record.

Conway has to go.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Conway has to go.
    Never a Guillotine in good working order around when you need one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conway has to go.
    Napoleon also lost his empire and died of syphillis in exile.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but he won the treble...
    more than once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, but he won the treble...
    more than once.
    Yeah, lol, okay I concede.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, don't know if I am translating/understanding any of this Norwegian correctly... suggestion is Sigurd Rosted is involved in Brondby's training match v Elfsborgs? Thought he was injured... the cause for his transfer delay? Probably got it wrong. Anyone else have better insight? Able to clarify?

https://www.svenskafans.com/fotboll/...gsmatch-653606

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That can’t be right. What the heck was Bono's career outside of MLS? He faced 8 I think in Canadian Champions league and CCL … where did the other 150 come from?
    Those second set of numbers I listed were their career clean sheets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounders MLSNext Pro outfit Tacoma Defiance signs Paul Rothrock.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/thefu...acoma-defiance

Back to the organization he started with. Good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/mlsnetwork/statu...FcMMMi5mA&s=09

With this news alot more likely Arango is on the move soon TFC ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still haven’t seen a U22 signing. I would have bet money BB would do something significant on that here…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The going rate for a decent U22 seems to be $2M. Given all the talk about not having a big name DP do they even have the $2-4M for a couple of U22s in the budget/approved?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The going rate for a decent U22 seems to be $2M. Given all the talk about not having a big name DP do they even have the $2-4M for a couple of U22s in the budget/approved?
    i think the key thing is that a decent u22 would be 2 mill upfront plus maybe 500k/ year, so 4 M over a 4 year contract.

a big name DP would be 5 M + every year (plus potential transfer fee).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Rosted is toasted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Rosted is toasted?
    Maybe? Likely? Seems/believe Jloome's? initial intuition on this may have been spot on; with the transfer to MLS of their other CB/Captain ahead of our guy. Know he updated it with the knowledge that that club had incoming CB's. Perhaps one of those already identified Brondby CB targets are now available; to us?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-27-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB/BM are changing/wining hearts and minds? This optimistic pessimist current version that is me, full of contradiction/s, agrees for now with these following assessments...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is/was probably obvious; though not to me till now. I suspect another keeper perspective might be Johnson is more the practical replacement that Westberg was and Romero is more like the Bono development project for TFC?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    BB/BM are changing/wining hearts and minds? This optimistic pessimist current version that is me, full of contradiction/s, agrees for now with these following assessments...

this is why we need depth badly.

vazquez is a great depth piece for the oso role, but we need a 6 and 8 depth pieces desperately.

ideally one of those with the ability to play fullback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    I'm sure we can find other CB's.

The fullback piece in my view was a harder (and more critical) position to fill and I really feel they did well with Petretta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Rosted is toasted?

Never felt like he was TFC's first option- and still dont get their guy!

Happy with the LB signing -also felt like he was not TFC primary target- high risk/high reward for sure.

Finally signed a young player- but hopefully injury doesnt prevent him from performing.

happy with new GK- bono's play makes SJ look like a world class goalie- especially if its the same dollars spent

addition by subtraction- getting rid of Bono is huge for TFC going forward.

I sincerely hope TFC gets more than 1 good year out of Hedges/Johnson and that Insigne doesnt regress too badly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Never felt like he was TFC's first option- and still dont get their guy!

Happy with the LB signing -also felt like he was not TFC primary target- high risk/high reward for sure.

Finally signed a young player- but hopefully injury doesnt prevent him from performing.

happy with new GK- bono's play makes SJ look like a world class goalie- especially if its the same dollars spent

addition by subtraction- getting rid of Bono is huge for TFC going forward.

I sincerely hope TFC gets more than 1 good year out of Hedges/Johnson and that Insigne doesnt regress too badly.
    by the sounds of it petretta was the first option and had been on their radar for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    this is why we need depth badly.

vazquez is a great depth piece for the oso role, but we need a 6 and 8 depth pieces desperately.

ideally one of those with the ability to play fullback.
    Absolutely. Especially with today's further information regarding Y24 Copa America and a possible CONCACAF/CONMEBOL 'Final Four' side Club Competition. Disappointing for me we did not 'get' Latif Blessing. Likely not the priority at the moment he became 'available' in the TFC sliding scale of Plans A, B, C v. anticipated budget allocations.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-27-2023 at 11:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)