Page 138 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is this... a sense of optimism on this board?

I think more depth is good obviously but we've definitely done enough work to be competitive with enough youth that if someone goes down, we should be able to bridge that gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post

I think more depth is good obviously but we've definitely done enough work to be competitive with enough youth that if someone goes down, we should be able to bridge that gap.
    Raoul is already with the camp. Team did an intro for him:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn2mHfZDqgx/?hl=en

Also Berna apparently is meeting with Michael Bradley's hair stylist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's weird but on the good side it seems to have scared off the eternal pessimist group as they've all been AWOL since we started announcing moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Does this contribute to that conversation...

Those are some pretty nice numbers! And needless to say, the Europa League experience is the sort of thing we need if we’re to get back to being serious about our Champions League.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh man so i rewatched MLS cup 2021 highlights again after the SJ news broke...

i din't realize that SJ saved the first two penalties from portland.

how many penalties has bono saved in his entire career with us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yeah it's weird but on the good side it seems to have scared off the eternal pessimist group as they've all been AWOL since we started announcing moves.
    Doubtful, OT may know some of us all too well ...and that's within the same page of a thread's discussion in this forum; just sentences, responses or minutes apart. This pause seems to be ongoing a little longer today; for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ...TFC supporters swing wildly between excessive optimism and desperate pessimism...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

They mentioned his penalty save percentage in a late season game last year. It was embarrassingly low.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it we need one more CB and some DM depth and we'll have a reasonably competitive team. That seems doable.

There don't seem to be any "panic" signings, which would have been concerning. All of the signings seem well thought-out.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mr Inbetween’s last post: That’s most of us but there are those who specialize in bile (or maybe it’s not so much a choice but simply a condition, too much of the medieval “black bile”).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something in my head is making me think 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was zero.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/mlsnetwork/statu...72104341372929

doubt it's us as doesn't fit the profile, but you never know

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big ol' DP profile - this would be an Insigne-style signing for another club, I could see the way Antonio plays being really enticing for a team like Vancouver, NYCFC, etc. a star player on a growing NT with a strong, vibrant diaspora in North America sounds right up the MLS alley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez. That is a quality player. Makes you think.

This would also make business sense. I posted about this when Ravel Morrison moved to DCU. Notwithstanding the Lawrence dalliance… TFC have never gone at the Jamaican market for real. But anybody who has seen a Jamaica game here knows that there is a real market here that has not been tapped (not counting the 2022 game where Jamaica was eliminated and sent a B team, and the Jamaican fans stayed home)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been invisible for West Ham the past year really though. There was a reason they had to go sign Danny Ings, although he's now injured of course. He was incredible the first half of last season, but I think he might be past it now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He's been invisible for West Ham the past year really though. There was a reason they had to go sign Danny Ings, although he's now injured of course. He was incredible the first half of last season, but I think he might be past it now.
    Past it in the Prem is probably 20 goals a season in MLS still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree, his profile doesn't really fit; with Lolo and Fede. Still... be fantastic man... for me; Forever Blowin' Bubbles. EPL fans and Eglinton West shouldn't be too upset either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson’s 2022 highlights:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Past it in the Prem is probably 20 goals a season in MLS still.
    I don't know. He's 32. Age isn't in his favour in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The way I see it we need one more CB and some DM depth and we'll have a reasonably competitive team. That seems doable.
    If the Rosted deal is done then I think our 4 CBs should be enough depth-wise. Maybe could pick up a young option as the 5th from somewhere or just bury Singh there.

The DM position is a definite need. If we can move Ayo then maybe we can turn that into a young DP to fill that spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Geez, his positioning is fucking pinpoint, eh? That push off the post is because he has the perfect cut off angle/distance to his near post. So often, you'd watch Bono and think he was off position, too far back, not seeing the shot early enough. SJ is already moving into shot cover before the guy's foot has come back.

Maybe the giddiness of having a real team again but it feels like a weight off, having a keeper who just wins the odd game on his own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Maybe the giddiness of having a real team again but it feels like a weight off, having a keeper who just wins the odd game on his own.
    Or not having a keeper that who loses the odd game on his own.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SJ has saved 9 of 54 in his career - 17%
    Bono has saved 2 of 24 - 8%
    As reference Westberg was 3 for 16 - 19%

Edit: these were only MLS career stats

Just checked on clean sheet % for their entire careers

SJ has 101 of 399 - 25%
    Bono 37/178 - 25%
    Westberg 80/266 - 30%
    Last edited by 613reppingTFC; 01-26-2023 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting lineup looking better now with Raoul (and SJ [and potentially Rosted if/when confirmed] )

One type of player we still really need that we didn't have last year is a Nick DeLeon/Nico Hasler "jack of all trades master of none" type player. The guy who can plug in multiple spots and sides and do the job. Would prevent us from things like plugging in a guy like Kosi in a brand new spot out of emergency.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-26-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez, his positioning is fucking pinpoint, eh? That push off the post is because he has the perfect cut off angle/distance to his near post. So often, you'd watch Bono and think he was off position, too far back, not seeing the shot early enough. SJ is already moving into shot cover before the guy's foot has come back.

I will not feel good until I hear that Conway is not back as GK coach. Otherwise prepare for SJ's performance to regress at TFC with Conway's tutelage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I will not feel good until I hear that Conway is not back as GK coach. Otherwise prepare for SJ's performance to regress at TFC with Conway's tutelage.
    True but if he follows the trend he will be good in 2023, okay in 2024, and then trash 2025.

Hopefully it's a 2+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    While he didn't make Bono any better, I feel it's worth pointing out that once the 2017 Drew Moor led defence departed, Bono's numbers were consistently bad, consistently two goals per game against. he didn't decline under Conway's coaching, he just didn't get any better.

As Og, myself and many have observed over the years, he seems to have real vision issues with picking up shots late. It crushes his confidence regularly. When everything's in close, like that Chicago game, he's a monster keeper. But usually that's not the case, so...

Not sure Conway could ever have resolved that.

Also, it's too presumptious to assume the coach is to blame without looking at methodology, motivational skil... the actual work that coach is putting in. I mean, I get the general sentiment of "I bet that's the problem," but we have no way of knowing whether a different coach would've done better, because we have no access to the actual process or comparisons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While he didn't make Bono any better, I feel it's worth pointing out that once the 2017 Drew Moor led defence departed, Bono's numbers were consistently bad, consistently two goals per game against. he didn't decline under Conway's coaching, he just didn't get any better.

As Og, myself and many have observed over the years, he seems to have real vision issues with picking up shots late. It crushes his confidence regularly. When everything's in close, like that Chicago game, he's a monster keeper. But usually that's not the case, so...

Also, it's too presumptious to assume the coach is to blame without looking at methodology, motivational skil... the actual work that coach is putting in. I mean, I get the general sentiment of "I bet that's the problem," but we have no way of knowing whether a different coach would've done better, because we have no access to the actual process or comparisons.
    Age and Covid could be excuses but I feel Westberg followed a similar path.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are absolutely right, but it still doesn’t explain one thing. If Conway isn’t helping any of our keepers get better, why is he still here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna assume we will get the Sean Johnson announcement after the USMNT wraps up their friendlies on Saturday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    SJ has saved 9 of 54 in his career - 17%
    Bono has saved 2 of 24 - 8%
    As reference Westberg was 3 for 16 - 19%

Edit: these were only MLS career stats

Just checked on clean sheet % for their entire careers

SJ has 101 of 399 - 25%
    Bono 37/178 - 25%
    Westberg 80/266 - 30%
    That can’t be right. What the heck was Bono's career outside of MLS? He faced 8 I think in Canadian Champions league and CCL … where did the other 150 come from?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”