Page 126 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 5193
  1. #3751
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Go check the comments below this post for that. The guy will be 50 and a couple people on whatever social media thing we all use will want Seba back.

    No doubt!

    But seriously, it’s definitely a step in the right direction, all of the various lists are outdated and unnecessary now.

  2. #3752
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    1,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Perfect, now get Larin over here now that we don't have to deal with the silly allocation.

  3. #3753
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now to get rid of GAM/TAM/SPAM, designated players, and lets just keep things simple. $50M cap, full free agency, and no domestic rules.

  4. #3754
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Get Adekugbe on the phone stat

  5. #3755
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How will that work, will clubs be forced to compete with each other in order to sign players? I'm shocked (but delighted) they did that, that tool was a very useful wage suppressor. Hopefully we move towards more of a model of just very basic, fixed salary rules and the free market for the rest

  6. #3756
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Get Adekugbe on the phone stat
    Unless he's physically hobbled in some way, I'd say the easiest signing we could have became available today; Uri Rosell was released by KC and he's always been a good DM in this league. He's 30 now and it looks like money saving on their part.

    Too many mids there and he's the oldest and one of the most expensive (albeit not on a ton, $475,000) so he's available.

  7. #3757
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    How will that work, will clubs be forced to compete with each other in order to sign players? I'm shocked (but delighted) they did that, that tool was a very useful wage suppressor. Hopefully we move towards more of a model of just very basic, fixed salary rules and the free market for the rest
    Yes, because they're bringing in a normal inter-league transfer system in 2024. All that shit is going out th ewindow in favor of traditional transfer values and deals, allegedly.

  8. #3758
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yes, because they're bringing in a normal inter-league transfer system in 2024. All that shit is going out th ewindow in favor of traditional transfer values and deals, allegedly.
    thank god

  9. #3759
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think we have to agree that this allocation order rule change may explain the delay in signings. So let's see now what happens.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  10. #3760
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Unless he's physically hobbled in some way, I'd say the easiest signing we could have became available today; Uri Rosell was released by KC and he's always been a good DM in this league. He's 30 now and it looks like money saving on their part.

    Too many mids there and he's the oldest and one of the most expensive (albeit not on a ton, $475,000) so he's available.
    Based on the SKC fan comments I saw on Reddit, they were praising god he’s gone and said he’s washed now.

  11. #3761
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Based on the SKC fan comments I saw on Reddit, they were praising god he’s gone and said he’s washed now.

    yeah, I trust American football fans about as much as week-old Wendy's Chili.

    He's 30 and has a fairly limited injury history. Unless his heart's not in it, I Can't see him being crocked.

    His stats from last year don't look crocked, they look typical of a decent DM in this league.


    Top 6% in interceptions (the most important DM stat), top half in tackles (higher than any of our players last year), top 20% in clearnaces, passing at 84%. His progressive rate is very low but that's because he's used as a true number six, not an eight.

    I suspect some of their fans don't really know the difference between an anchor and a two-way mid.

    Also top third in assists per minute played, which from a DM position is very positive.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-20-2023 at 05:19 PM.

  12. #3762
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think we have to agree that this allocation order rule change may explain the delay in signings. So let's see now what happens.
    Yeah, that's why only 10 moves league wide in the last week; they've probably been negotiating changes league-wide.

    I wonder if we argued to keep it this year, as all the other changes are coming next. We were in line for the top allocation position. There may be someone coming back to the league and someone wanted to outbid us, for example (Larin would be a possible.)

  13. #3763
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North York ON
    Posts
    1,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think we have to agree that this allocation order rule change may explain the delay in signings. So let's see now what happens.
    Certainly if you were an agent of a player with even an inkling that this would happen you'd be insane to advise your client to sign a contract before you can be bid on in the open market

  14. #3764
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Allocation Order abolished. Looks like the Galaxy wanted to sign someone. Thats usually the source of all MLS rule changes, the LA Galaxy need to do something that's not allowed yet

    (this is just a joke- before I get a reply saying the league needed to do this for progress or whatever)

  15. #3765
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    1,023
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think we have to agree that this allocation order rule change may explain the delay in signings. So let's see now what happens.
    Doubtful. There’s only about 40-50 players on the allocation list that this rule applied to, including the likes of Alphonso Davies and Christian Pulisic. Would be unlikely that we are targeting multiple names on the list.

  16. #3766
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Looks like my idea of abolishing the whole discovery list thing was the complete opposite way MLS is leaning.


  17. #3767
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So… I assume there will be a link where I can see who is on each team’s discovery list.

    Oh wait, this is MLS. There is no chance they will do this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  18. #3768
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    so the USMNT camp that SJ is attending starts in 2 days.

    i'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't have an announcement either tonight or tomorrow, as it's very unlikely he'd go into a camp where he could pick up an injury without a contract or agreement in place.
    well this turned out to be wrong... unless there's an announcement coming tomorrow during the day.

  19. #3769
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    well this turned out to be wrong... unless there's an announcement coming tomorrow during the day.
    Really starting to wonder if TFC should pivot to whatever their plan B for GK is. Or atleast leak a rumor about a plan B. We can't wait on Johnson forever, the longer this goes the more it feels like we are being used as a bargaining chip against NYCFC.

  20. #3770
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Really starting to wonder if TFC should pivot to whatever their plan B for GK is. Or atleast leak a rumor about a plan B. We can't wait on Johnson forever, the longer this goes the more it feels like we are being used as a bargaining chip against NYCFC.
    i mean if that was the case he would have re-signed there by now.

    our offer has been on the table for 6 weeks already.

  21. #3771
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So… I assume there will be a link where I can see who is on each team’s discovery list.

    Oh wait, this is MLS. There is no chance they will do this.
    And what is it with the weird language? “Discovery”, “discoverable”… none of these players are unknown to anyone and the allocation guys have all played in the league before. Sounds like U.S. military speak or something.

  22. #3772
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    About the league-wide lack of signings, has the salary cap and/or all the additional initiatives that increase the allowable budget been set by the league yet? I seem to remember talk of more revenue and even more increases than usual but I don’t remember seeing any numbers.

  23. #3773
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i mean if that was the case he would have re-signed there by now.

    our offer has been on the table for 6 weeks already.
    The fact that our offer has been on the table for that long without a resolution is enough reason to start looking at other options. I want SJ as much as anyone, but we can't wait forever for him.

  24. #3774
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SJ is overrated ask POZ...lets move on from him

  25. #3775
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The fact that our offer has been on the table for that long without a resolution is enough reason to start looking at other options. I want SJ as much as anyone, but we can't wait forever for him.
    I'd offer Ethan Horvath a high TAM deal. He's on about $1M right now, but Nottingham Forest's boss doesn't favor him (despite him playing very well for them last year when Samba went out). He's been dead good at Luton this season (although had one howler of a bad clearance against WBA last week). He's a US international, he's doing the perma-loan thing like a lot of guys who've come back to MLS.

    And he's 28, I think. So he could be a legit top number one for a while.

    He could probably be had for $1-2M.

  26. #3776
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The fact that our offer has been on the table for that long without a resolution is enough reason to start looking at other options. I want SJ as much as anyone, but we can't wait forever for him.
    I would be very surprised if they were not talking with others.

    But when exactly do you walk away & make that other deal?

    (that and past history has shown that sometimes for x to happen, y has to occur first - I can seriously see how being second in the allocation order would be an issue that needed to be resolved first)

  27. #3777
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd offer Ethan Horvath a high TAM deal. He's on about $1M right now, but Nottingham Forest's boss doesn't favor him (despite him playing very well for them last year when Samba went out). He's been dead good at Luton this season (although had one howler of a bad clearance against WBA last week). He's a US international, he's doing the perma-loan thing like a lot of guys who've come back to MLS.

    And he's 28, I think. So he could be a legit top number one for a while.

    He could probably be had for $1-2M.
    I’d be very happy with that. Makes more sense than Johnson. But does he want to come back? (And yes, another dubious bit of Forest judgment.)

  28. #3778
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,766
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd offer Ethan Horvath a high TAM deal. He's on about $1M right now, but Nottingham Forest's boss doesn't favor him (despite him playing very well for them last year when Samba went out). He's been dead good at Luton this season (although had one howler of a bad clearance against WBA last week). He's a US international, he's doing the perma-loan thing like a lot of guys who've come back to MLS.

    And he's 28, I think. So he could be a legit top number one for a while.

    He could probably be had for $1-2M.
    Holy hell. Anything more than 700k on a keeper in this league feels like massive overpay.

  29. #3779
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Holy hell. Anything more than 700k on a keeper in this league feels like massive overpay.
    Keeper salaries have been rising. We’ve always had mediocre keepers because the salaries offered were low (at least to begin with). I’m fine with a high TAM keeper if he’s genuinely good and can play with us for many years. Again, that’s more that either we can or are willing to pay, but I think the days of winning with shit keepers are coming to an end. Salcedo was making 2.4 million or some such. Would have been better split in half and spent on a keeper and a centre half. Burki at St. louis is on 1.5 million, Room and Blake are each close to 900,000.

  30. #3780
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I’d be very happy with that. Makes more sense than Johnson. But does he want to come back? (And yes, another dubious bit of Forest judgment.)
    Forest has two better goalkeepers in Henderson and Hennessey. Henderson has been excellent this year. Can’t see Horvath coming mid-season when Luton is striking distance to the playoff. I agree we need to push this SJ thing or get onto another player.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •