Page 113 of 174 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Go to my profile on the first page you will see posts saying "I'm loving the FO right now".
    Great!

Anyways you could be right.

It's a gamble, albeit an inexpensive one.

Let's wait and see. I think it could be kri Kamara esque.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're pretty far removed from Diomande's MLS days at this point. He was struggling to score in Qatar and China, has barely played 2000mins in the last 2 years and is coming off a serious muscular injury at 32. These are just facts, if you choose not to be concerned about them fair enough.

Hopefully he's seen purely as a depth piece, although I see a gamble and risk in a depth piece that takes an international spot and is a question mark from a fitness perspective.
    i agree with all your points...i think he probs in the 300k range.its bobs team now lets see what happens.and i look forward to another rebuild in 2 years

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're pretty far removed from Diomande's MLS days at this point. He was struggling to score in Qatar and China, has barely played 2000mins in the last 2 years and is coming off a serious muscular injury at 32. These are just facts, if you choose not to be concerned about them fair enough.

Hopefully he's seen purely as a depth piece, although I see a gamble and risk in a depth piece that takes an international spot and is a question mark from a fitness perspective.
    This is kind of where I am. It worries me how important “Bob being comfortable” seems to be as a criteria for roster inclusion, although that is how sports works. But it feels hardcore here.

There is no question that BB has got the best out of AD historically, though, so maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

Is this really what we were hoping from BB's network when he was signed? Still waiting for Bob to make one of the 5-7 younger stud signings that was made on his watch at LAFC. It's been more than a year now, soon to be three windows. I kind of thought that was the point.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-12-2023 at 11:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And I'd have expected a target forward if they were planning to press high, as you want him to be able to hold up the ball. Diomande is a break the lines guy, like Jimenez. To my recall, he was quite good at finding space in the box at the back post, whereas Jesus is that guy who drifts to the penalty spot and tries to find small angles to beat the keeper.

So they sort of complement each other.
    Diomande is capable of holding the ball up. More than anyone we have, at least. It was to be a skill Akinola mastered but he never quite came to grips with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless we have no interest in a younger DP, I don't think we'll bid. Too much dough, albeit worth it.

Plus, both JJ and Ayo are converted wingers, so they can backup any of the front three positions.
    I’d like to see Ayo back on the wing if we keep him but he hasn’t played there in some time under Bradley or the two previous managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I’d like to see Ayo back on the wing if we keep him but he hasn’t played there in some time under Bradley or the two previous managers.
    Ayo is fat and not in shape. This is a sign of a player that is not committed to the game. Get rid of him ASAP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Ayo is fat and not in shape. This is a sign of a player that is not committed to the game. Get rid of him ASAP
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Fire Bob Bradley and Manning. Michael needs to retire. Oso is too hurt. Kaye was never a good player. Akinola is too fat. We should have signed Hoilett instead of Berna. Foreign players hate Canada. Is that better?
    You can't make this stuff up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is kind of where I am. It worries me how important “Bob being comfortable” seems to be as a criteria for roster inclusion, although that is how sports works. But it feels hardcore here.

There is no question that BB has got the best out of AD historically, though, so maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

Is this really what we were hoping from BB's network when he was signed? Still waiting for Bob to make one of the 5-7 younger stud signings that was made on his watch at LAFC. It's been more than a year now, soon to be three windows. I kind of thought that was the point.
    It is worrisome. Go, no go. To dip back into the/his well. Is the water off? Is it dried up? I do not think it's poisoned. Still, maybe the taste is refreshing. Feels inadequate. IDK. Sigh.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, I love your enthusiasm for posting... but is there any chance you could stop posting in single sentences with a paragraph break after every one? ...Just a suggestion, don't mean to offend.
    Sure. Understood. Apology to you and anyone else. Should have realized; didn't. Not offended. I wear big boy pants. Always will welcome reasonable suggestions stated respectfully. I prefer to be told if my fly is open or have toilet paper stuck to my shoe. I like to think I can handle constructive criticism. Will work on your request. Will try. Please be patient; prepared for relapses. I am quirky. Written word short circuit/jagged (here) paragraphed sentences are a part of me. They are a visual coping/compensating stress by-product so I do not get stuck in any looped thought process and am able to move on/post in a reasonable time. We are cool jloome.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Sure. Understood. Apology to you and anyone else. Should have realized; didn't. Not offended. I wear big boy pants. Always will welcome reasonable suggestions stated respectfully. I prefer to be told if my fly is open or have toilet paper stuck to my shoe. I like to think I can handle constructive criticism. Will work on your request. Will try. Please be patient; prepared for relapse. I am quirky. Written word short circuit/jagged (here) paragraphed sentences are a part of me and are a visual coping/compensating stress by-product so I do not get stuck in any looped thought process and am able to move on/post in a reasonable time. We are cool jloome.
    Cheers dude, appreciated.

As I said earlier, Diomande doesn't worry me if he stays in shape. The numbers from the Middle East are always skewed by how fucked up those leagues are, how the rosters are built and how they frequently have many more foreigners than they can play. If we found out they played him wide, I wouldn't be surprised.

The muscle thing last year is a worry, but he had a couple of games back from it on the bench before he moved and he's apparently been with the team for a few days at least already.

Low risk, decent potential reward.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-13-2023 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still waiting for Bob to make one of the 5-7 younger stud signings that was made on his watch at LAFC. It's been more than a year now, soon to be three windows. I kind of thought that was the point.
    Yeah, that would be good, exercise the u22 dp advantage.

Or even sign another player using his contacts in Egypt and France.

That Norwegian 22 year old striker I mentioned who has 15 in 14 games this year is unfortunately not going to be it; he went to Benfica this week for 7 million euros.

I look at how many 19 and 20 year olds -- even domestic - making starting lineups througout the top three English leagues, I'd be surprised if we couldn't poach someone good. Premier League transfers are insanely expensive now when it's someone in top demand, but plenty of guys good enough to dominate in MLS still go for far less.

We have a few younger players coming up that he can hopefully get more out of. Antonoglu, Pearlman and Franklin all have genuine MLS-level promise, a few others are still in the potential long-term picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW. May have no bearing; not necessarily an indicator.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The charming coincidence. My suggestion, like everything, just try to deal with it/learn to cope. I offer you a smile instead. Football Is Life.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the biggest "yeah, we are gonna deal one but we can't just come out and say that" quote ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kind of where I am. It worries me how important “Bob being comfortable” seems to be as a criteria for roster inclusion, although that is how sports works.
    Could also be that we're in 'win now' mode and he can't risk getting too many players who might need a half season to adapt to his system.

I like the idea of getting 3 U22s as much as anyone but it would be hard to imagine grabbing 3 of them and having them all come out of the gate flying as starters and us winning as much as we'd like. It can happen but it's not likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Buffery's Toronto Sun Article... nudge, nudge, wink wink... seems he may be the starter. At the least, certainly sounds like by Bob, that he is to be expected to provide some healthy competition for the striker position.

“I had the opportunity to work with Dio at Stabæk and at LAFC, and I am excited to welcome him to Toronto FC,” said Bradley. “He is a proven striker with vast experience playing in MLS and Europe. His smart runs, athletic presence, and skill to finish in the box will immediately impact our attack.”

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-signs-proven-striker-adama-diomande

EDIT:

An assured statement; confident about his fitness and skill despite. Whatever preliminary look-see he has gotten so far at training camp seems to have satisfied Bob; he's comfortable. I suppose he will own it if it does not work out.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Addendum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Could also be that we're in 'win now' mode and he can't risk getting too many players who might need a half season to adapt to his system.

I like the idea of getting 3 U22s as much as anyone but it would be hard to imagine grabbing 3 of them and having them all come out of the gate flying as starters and us winning as much as we'd like. It can happen but it's not likely.
    I am thinking of not just one type of young player - there was the 23 year old MAK signed out of USL. Or Atuesta, an unknown. Or Rossi - who was a young DP but was clearly an impact starter from the first day.

Would love to see him sign anybody who looks like any of them.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diomande was great when he was with LAFC, but that was a few years ago and even then he wasn't a starter from my memory (and look who he had ahead of him in the pecking order). Could be a good player for us, but not likely a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding SJ, hoping for the best, yet, TFC should be prepared for the worst. Accordingly, is this from Bill Hamid's account; legit? I note it has Twitter's Blue Checkmark Verification; still. If so, should he be a 'Plan B' option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diomande is a bottom of the barrel signing.

5th team in two years? Is the caliber of player were really going after?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

There are a lot of needs in the team. Not every signing has to be a marquee signing. As others have said, he brings something JJ doesn't. Good to have options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's taking a shot on a guy with a track record of success in MLS 3 years ago on a low money deal when we have other holes to fill that are costly. Also we have coverage in this position so it's not like he is the last resort. I expect JJ to come good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For reference I'm sure the data on MLSsoccer.com is last years. It says ayo is 96kg at 5'10 in comparison lukaku is 6'3 at 103 and zlatan who is much older and taller is 106kg. Ayo should be 83 to 86 at most. This guy eats all day. Zero commitment and it's a shame. When is the last time he ot paced any defender. Like he dud in MLS is back when he was fit. Watch the old highlights and see the difference on how he looks physically. The guy is a FAT man. R9 LOOKS MORE FIT THESE DAYS THAN AYO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of ifs and buts on this team at the moment.we are looking at another rebuild in 2 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presumably no one on this board has seen him play in a few seasons. And so much in football is context. He’s been a top MLS striker specifically with our manager in his fairly set system. Given how lost our other strikers have looked and how many guys we need to add within a tight salary cap, I’d say, unless he’s really done, it’s a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not comfortable with this at all. Unless Odds Ballklubb has a second tier team, a TFCII, and then I would be even more apprehensive about what is being done. I am concerned with the possible attempt of TFC to media spin the move. There is no need. Yesterday, upon learning of the acquisition, I tried my hand at some quick research. The information I yielded supported Wikipedia's posting of 2 game appearances and 1 goal; for matches on 28AUG22 and 04SEP22. Moreover, as far as I could determine, he made the team line-up for only those two matches for last season. What gives? Why the need to murky or juke that stat?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-13-2023 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it a no lose to give him a shot i think he is in the over 250k range and will probs miss 10 to 15 games a season,he has a history of muscle injuries.JOZY 2 lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Not comfortable with this at all. Unless Odds Ballklubb has a second tier team, a TFCII, and then I would be even more apprehensive about what is being done. I am concerned with the possible attempt of TFC to media spin the move. Yesterday, upon learning of the acquisition, I tried my hand at some quick research. The information I yielded supported Wikipedia's posting of 2 game appearances and 1 goal; for matches on 28AUG22 and 04SEP22. Moreover, as far as I could determine, he made the line-up for only those two matches for the team for last season. What gives? Why the need to murky or juke that stat?
    There's no spin involved, He's just an incompetent reporter much of the time.

If he'd bothered to check transfermarkt he'd have found eight 'appearances' were on the bench only, likely because he was unfit after Qatar.

He doesn't do things like legwork and research, it's all tips and opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    No, it's taking a shot on a guy with a track record of success in MLS 3 years ago on a low money deal when we have other holes to fill that are costly. Also we have coverage in this position so it's not like he is the last resort. I expect JJ to come good.
    The dude can definitely play and his goal scoring record under Bob at LA was elite levels.

https://youtu.be/O26pPDNNQho

Can he stay healthy / in shape is the main question.