Page 103 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There is something bizarre going on in MLS midwestern front offices with these grandiose claims.

Guaranteed green cards! (News flash - there is nothing Minnesota is doing that is unique to them).

Adrian Heath personally asked for this (I mean how can Cho say no to Adrian Heath)

That's hilarious.

Although I do know that the whitecaps a while back was having a social media person handling immigration paperwork so this probably a step up from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something bizarre going on in MLS midwestern front offices with these grandiose claims.

Guaranteed green cards! (News flash - there is nothing Minnesota is doing that is unique to them).

Adrian Heath personally asked for this (I mean how can Cho say no to Adrian Heath)

Maladroit but maybe not a bad thing that these clubs want to compete. I’m all for better football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Being able to sign three under 23 players of any high transfer value and salary and have all of that count only 600k towards the cap sounds like a good idea to me… if we’re willing to spend. But more so if we move Akinola, otherwise it’s two plus the one we have already.

And I really hope I’m wrong but based on last season he didn’t look suited for a place in our front three.
    You are right, as are others in the community, about this opportunity/strategy.
    For some reason TFC seem hesitant to engage and exploit it.
    Maybe not this season?
    Perhaps it's a question of once bitten twice shy?
    TFC's record with these kinds of candidates seems to have found them wanting.
    As you mention, there is wiggle room with the selections for misadventure, yet, 2 of any three players better work out.
    Otherwise, your kinda right back to where you started.
    And at that point, while it is possible it still goes sideways, even with due diligence; re.: Soteldo.
    You probably should have selected a known quantity candidate; with experience.
    As it is said... tried, tested and true.
    Again, given the nature of the league, having salary capology, I believe a reasonable degree of predictability in a candidate is practicality in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW,
    Being reported by The Athletic.
    Nacho Fernandez is exploring, as one option of several, the possibility of joining MLS should he not renew his contract with Real Madrid.
    DP staus aside; seems to be earning somewhere in the 7M Euros range?
    Our kind of CB? Versatility, commitment, and leadership wise?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW,
    Being reported by The Athletic.
    Nacho Fernandez is exploring, as one option of several, the possibility of joining MLS should he not renew his contract with Real Madrid.
    DP staus aside; seems to be earning somewhere in the 7M Euros range?
    Our kind of CB? Versatility, commitment, and leadership wise?
    They are doing young dps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More likely this footballer is within the range of CB candidates we would consider and be after.
    Most definitely one cool cat. Sitting back in Lima, Peru. Just waiting for his tuna.
    From somewhere. Maybe MLS? Perhaps TFC?
    In fate's hand?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-10-2023 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    They are doing young dps.
    Maybe.
    I have a little doubt.
    It's the social media silence; twitter, etc...
    Absolutely no leaks by any international young-ins being engaged by TFC; their entourages.
    Strange. Seems impossible these days, no?
    Especially by any SA candidates.
    Perhaps Bob et al. and agent counterparts are running a tight op.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-10-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Perhaps Bob et al. and agent counterparts are running a tight op.
    They're signing Mbappe to a 4+1 🤫

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know something we don't about Laryea?
    they are in discussions to make his loan permanent, i'd imagine it'll be done before the season.
    FWIW,
    Further perspective on this matter.
    If your reply involves these following past posts as reference, then I would ask to consider a second read.
    Neither are distinctly indicating any direct negotiations with NF by TFC are occurring.
    It actually seems, as one more clearly suggests, any negotiations are happening with Laryea; not NF.
    Bob seems to be trying to determine if Laryea wants to stay, not if NF will let him stay.
    Accordingly this may support the supposition that TFC control any clause to keep the player.
    And are willing to do so, so long as he really/truly wants to stay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea's situation is pretty hard to have a firm opinion about. It is not very clear what Laryea or NF actually want here.

NF sacked their CEO yesterday. An American. They have turned over their whole FO in last three months, only Cooper (the manager) remains.

It probably supports the “they are selling him” narrative… but where?

The local paper has a “keep or sell” poll on 6 players there. Richie didn’t even make the list of 6.
    https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...nsfers-8008840
    Last edited by ensco; 01-10-2023 at 07:55 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Minnesota information smacks of " Probably most of our supporters are not aware of the usual things done in a transfer negotiation so if we talk about the process, it will make us look good among our supporters - might sell more jerseys."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed that about NF.
    I suppose his exit was to be expected.
    Given their on-goings and the on-boarding of Charnley and Giraldi.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-10-2023 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If I had to bet, I would bet that Laryea finds another home in the Championship. I think he will do that if he can. But it's also very plausible that TFC buys him back.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Minnesota information smacks of " Probably most of our supporters are not aware of the usual things done in a transfer negotiation so if we talk about the process, it will make us look good among our supporters - might sell more jerseys."
    Also feels like, maybe, an MLS wide effort to make pursuit of international name players more “real” than they are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The three youngsters (and the draft pick) people seem to have noticed are:

-Kobe Franklin (duh)
    -Rohan Goulbourne (4th CB type as a ceiling for RIGHT NOW)
    -Alonso Coello Camarero (Candidate for backup CM)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If I had to bet, I would bet that Laryea finds another home in the Championship. I think he will do that if he can. But it's also very plausible that TFC buys him back.
    I think the NF move really hurt his stock in England. They're usually anti-North American and him not breaking into that line up isn't going to help that no matter who was ahead of him. Pretty sure they'll do their usual and question his technical ability, say he is too small to compete defensively, and also question his durability in the Championship.

Also there's the Richie question; does he want to take another chance at sitting on a Championship bench possibly for the long haul or start permanently in Toronto at his new & improved salary rate? Also factor in the GC & Copa America coming up over the next year and a half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Richie's situation will depend on where Nottingham Forest is in the table six weeks or so from now. If they're in or near the relegation zone, chances are they may keep him (if he has any inclination to stay). They'll lose a few players including at least one wingback if they drop. I think Cooper is on a tightrope too, although seems secure at the moment. I think they're prepared to drop him on any missteps though. Were rumours of that earlier. There was an article in their local paper after the Belgium-Canada game about why they loaned him in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Almost feels like they have new staff who can write tweets but have no idea has soccer works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little worried we haven't announced Sean Johnson yet. Hope that Raptors game was more than a "first date."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm a little worried we haven't announced Sean Johnson yet. Hope that Raptors game was more than a "first date."
    How long did it take for Hedges to go from hockey game to signed? I thought that took like a WEEK.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    How long did it take for Hedges to go from hockey game to signed? I thought that took like a WEEK.
    yeah if he was in the city for final talks with the management this weekend, i'd imagine it'll be this week, anyways.

especially with preseason started already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://onesoccer.ca/a/report-toront...rebuild-begins

this says rosted will be joining the squad in san diego this week.

seems more and more like the buffery line on joining midseason was just speculation (and wrong).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have been. He signed on the 19th. I can't find the tweet of him at the Leafs game. I'd just like to see it official and a big positional gap filled.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have been. He signed on the 19th. I can't find the tweet of him at the Leafs game. I'd just like to see it official and a big positional gap filled.
    It was LONGER than that - took like a month to officially announce

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the leafs game was well before that.

however that was still very early in preseason, this is more urgent, will be urgency on all sides.

i expect a resolution today or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was LONGER than that - took like a month to officially announce
    Yeah. There are lots of examples where it was the next day though. And given the urgency now that we're back in training, I'd hoped it would be done by now. Hopefully Leeds is right and we hear in the next 24 hours or so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of those Raptor shots were once the player was already in town for the signing.

Hedges is the only prior example of a "wine & dine" Raptors outing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only danger to us imo is nycfc ramping up their offer.

But the way CFG operate I don't see that happening.

Could be wrong tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Richie's situation will depend on where Nottingham Forest is in the table six weeks or so from now. If they're in or near the relegation zone, chances are they may keep him (if he has any inclination to stay). They'll lose a few players including at least one wingback if they drop. I think Cooper is on a tightrope too, although seems secure at the moment. I think they're prepared to drop him on any missteps though. Were rumours of that earlier. There was an article in their local paper after the Belgium-Canada game about why they loaned him in the first place.

Cooper doesn't rate him defensively at all. He gave him five appearances in the Championship and a couple of exhibitions. Richie acquitted himself well in all, but had several moments where he couldn't read the offensive movement and left the backside uncovered.

I think they're simply of the opinion that his style doesn't suit English football particularly, which is EXTREMELY tactically inflexible and system based. Cristian Ramirez, the former Minnesota striker, scored 15 goals for Aberdeen last year in the SPL but is now benched because they don't like his attitude. But that mostly seems to stem from them insisting he never make decisions on the ball at the expense of tactical shape. He said himself in an interview that the tactical rigidity was really surprising when he got there, and difficult to adapt to.

They focus on concrete movement and responsibilities, guys being cogs to pull apart the opposition shape and expose space; MLS and Mexican coaches stress tendencies and dominating the most dangerous areas of the pitch. (And the best now seem to demand both).

Having said that... I think on the balance Cooper is wrong. His wide players spend more time going forward than coming back and Richie's not that bad a defender; I'd say he's decent at marking and blocking, not so hot at tackling. He's using Neco Williams right now and it's an utter shit show. The boy is completely out of his depth, whereas some of the defenders they face are so large and slow, Richie would ghost them like he wasn't there (which in his few appearances for them, he did; he had a potential assist in every game he played, usually muffed point-blank.)

So, he's not going to stay with Forest.

Hull inquired about a loan last year AND a purchase this year, but it was rejected so quickly it sounds like they were trying a sub-million swoop.

I suspect we have the inside track, as he wasn't seen enough there, and teams do generally avoid using the cup as an arbiter. But if a team in the Championship or Turkey is desperate for a right back he might go elsewhere, because he's two-sided, which is extremely valuable in a rotation/backup player.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-10-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only danger to us imo is nycfc ramping up their offer.

But the way CFG operate I don't see that happening.

Could be wrong tho.
    I think they might. They may have though at 33 they could lower the wage bill a little, as that's normal in Europe when an older player wants a new deal at the same club. But the market here is more limited with respect to getting the same level of player at the same price.

I suspect they'll offer him a little more than 20%, as that's what the max overbid value is going to next season. It's about $100G (he's on 500k, I think? I might be wrong there), which is a rounding error to them. If they don't have something better lined up or signed already, it's probably because they're just gauging if they need to pay him more.