Page 100 of 174 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i think the mid depth roles will be filled via trade and young DP.

can't see akinola being here at the start of the season.
    I suspect the opposite. Who would take him after the season he had last year? He's on a U22 contract and is injury prone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the norwegian guy is a centre defender though lol
    D'oh!

I read the headline in Norwegian and saw "stopper" and thought Goalie.

My bad.

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/rygt...oendby-stopper

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I suspect the opposite. Who would take him after the season he had last year? He's on a U22 contract and is injury prone.
    you'd be surprised, he's had success in this league before his injury and is still young.

also budget charge of only 150K.

lots of GMs (especially cheap ones) will take that gamble.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    D'oh!

I read the headline in Norwegian and saw "stopper" and thought Goalie.

My bad.

https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/rygt...oendby-stopper
    makes sense.

i suspect this guy is coming based on all available information, especially the club briefing imminent signings in key positions. him and hedges average height of 6 foot 3, both pretty good passers too which is nice.

an underrated aspect of hedges games is ability to pass through lines from back, we missed that after salcedo left last year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not very excited by a veteran Brondby CB. Feels like Plan C type move, very 2013-15 (Perquis, Kantari, Elmer). Maybe if he is willing to be a depth piece (I would rather just play MacNaughton).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes sense.

i suspect this guy is coming based on all available information, especially the club briefing imminent signings in key positions. him and hedges average height of 6 foot 3, both pretty good passers too which is nice.

an underrated aspect of hedges games is ability to pass through lines from back, we missed that after salcedo left last year.
    Three other Norwegian papers noted that another sizezable Danish club was trying to sign him but had missed out to MLS and that Toronto had been interested for a while.

He was in demand in other Scandi leagues, which is a good sign.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

makes sense.

still of the mind that Gigante got a raw deal and could have been great if we didn't decide, hey, let's play him with a bunch of awful ball handlers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    still of the mind that Gigante got a raw deal and could have been great if we didn't decide, hey, let's play him with a bunch of awful ball handlers.
    i mean i doubt we decided that, just circumstance and cap restrictions based on paying mavinga/bono/Q like 2 M combined lol.

but yeah i think he would have been incredible in the team we are building right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three other Norwegian papers noted that another sizezable Danish club was trying to sign him but had missed out to MLS and that Toronto had been interested for a while.

He was in demand in other Scandi leagues, which is a good sign.
    yes, and we've seen in recent europa and conference league that the scandi leagues decent
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-09-2023 at 11:01 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Norwegian dude left footed?

Cause that's a missing piece after Mavinga m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Is the Norwegian dude left footed?

Cause that's a missing piece after Mavinga m
    Nope, right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also moved in 19/20 to KAA Gent in the Belgian league but didn't cut it or was homesick as he was back in Norway a year later.

Bit worrisome.

EDIT: I'll correct myself. Looks like he was a starter at Gent but left after one year. Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not very excited by a veteran Brondby CB. Feels like Plan C type move, very 2013-15 (Perquis, Kantari, Elmer). Maybe if he is willing to be a depth piece (I would rather just play MacNaughton).

everything feels like Plan C to me lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a lot more experience than MacNaughton, even if the leagues involved aren't top tier. A year in the Belgian league, multiple years of Champions League qualifying. Not sure if he'll be a ton better but who knows, at this point. WHen the league they're coming from is pretty parallel or slightly behind, it's up to the individual scouting.

EDIT: BUT, he's not starting at Brondby. Seems to have lost his spot to a 25-year-old Congolese defender.

I'm going to agree for now with your take. Seems very Damien Perquis-ish to me, a journeyman.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-09-2023 at 12:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    everything feels like Plan C to me lol
    we've signed two of the top free agents in the league (and are on cusp on signing a 3rd). but yes, plan C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a lot more experience than MacNaughton, even if the leagues involved aren't top tier. A year in the Belgian league, multiple years of Champions League qualifying. Not sure if he'll be a ton better but who knows, at this point. WHen the league they're coming from is pretty parallel or slightly behind, it's up to the individual scouting.

EDIT: BUT, he's not starting at Brondby. Seems to have lost his spot to a 25-year-old Congolese defender.

I'm going to agree for now with your take. Seems very Damien Perquis-ish to me, a journeyman.
    It also depends on what Bob feels TFC needs. Is McNaughton the plan? Has he been improving enough to warn the spot? Are we looking for a depth/rotation player?

Where is the available budget best spent? We have so little information that it is hard to judge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macnaughton is...not good.

he should be 4th choice at best

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their fans are bracing for this one, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macnaughton is...not good.

he should be 4th choice at best
    Careful with the improvement arc of these guys. CB’s can improve much later in their career than most players. I don’t think MacNaughton has any fatal flaws in his game but lacks experience at this level and is not the quickest (yet I think is still fast enough to play the spot).

I’d be inclined to keep him around a year or two and give him time to improve. I wouldn’t be shocked if he turns into a worthwhile player.

Edit: that’s not to say we should be counting on him as a first choice starter. Quite the opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post

Their fans are bracing for this one, I think.
    I doubt they're too worried. He was benched in August after they lost four of five. They gave him a spot start in October and he was red carded. Hasnt' played more than nine minutes since.

The year prior he was a game-in and out starter and they were winning. He might've been scapegoated this year, as they had four draws after he was benched. But they just lost another game without him involved, so...

EDIT: MODS, why is my name showing up as "i want" ... EDIT2 and now its back to normal. Man.. that was weird.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-09-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we've signed two of the top free agents in the league (and are on cusp on signing a 3rd). but yes, plan C.
    Definitely Plan C for this Brondby move. For me anyways.

Not talking about Hedges or Johnson (who is the other top signing?).

I get that you cannot win them all, but it feels like a lot of quality defenders have moved into or around MLS here, and we needed more than one of those.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope he is a depth signing, speed does not appear to be highly rated.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idk if we need particularly speedy CBs, probably do tbh if we're keeping the midfield as-is

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that you cannot win them all, but it feels like a lot of quality defenders have moved into or around MLS here, and we needed more than one of those.
    cap league, you're not gonna have an aaron long and a hedges in the same backline or we're not gonna be able to afford any midfield depth.

this guy has played in belgium, and has played europa league, was part of a title winning team recently.

also can't help notice similarity in stature/ style to philly CBs, two very tall ball playing CBs. maybe something in that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cap league, you're not gonna have an aaron long and a hedges in the same backline or we're not gonna be able to afford any midfield depth.

this guy has played in belgium, and has played europa league, was part of a title winning team recently.

also can't help notice similarity in stature/ style to philly CBs, two very tall ball playing CBs. maybe something in that.
    Perquis had as good a pedigree. It's the recent downturn in form and losing his spot that is concerning.

Steven Vitoria plays at a higher level in Portugal but when he came to Philly in MLS he was woeful because he was just too slow for the style of play.

So you can't always go by pedigree, and he's not starting in Denmark anymore. That's not usually a good sign.

Toss up.

Given how much GAM we allegedly have left, there are certainly league options who've moved already who might have been more predictable.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis had as good a pedigree. It's the recent downturn in form and losing his spot that is concerning.

Steven Vitoria plays at a higher level in Portugal but when he came to Philly in MLS he was woeful because he was just too slow for the style of play.

So you can't always go by pedigree, and he's not starting in Denmark anymore. That's not usually a good sign.

Toss up.

Given how much GAM we allegedly have left, there are certainly league options who've moved already who might have been more predictable.
    he's out of favour but also has multiple big scandinavian clubs after him as you've pointed out, which is a good sign.

let's wait and see. surely won't be too expensive too.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-09-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bunch of very serviceable MLS CBs just moved, and we were nowhere to be found. Dave Romney. Nick de Puy. Aaron Herrera, a very impressive pickup for Montreal, can play CB (OK Herrera costs real money - but he is an elite player, and a natural RB, another potential big need). I am not talking about big name cap busting guys.

De Puy is 6 foot 5 inches btw. He got moved to make room for Mavinga.

That is what I am comparing Rosted to.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2023 at 02:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As-is, I'm still concerned about depth, but it should be clear to anyone who still isn't holding a grudge that the team knows what positions they need to fill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bunch of very serviceable MLS CBs just moved, and we were nowhere to be found. Dave Romney. Nick de Puy. Aaron Herrera, a very impressive pickup for Montreal, can play CB. I am not talking about big name cap busting guys.

That is what I am comparing Rosted to.
    aaron herrera has played 8 games at CB in his entire career. he's a right back, a position we do not need to fill.

nick de puy has made 58 MLS appearances at the age of 28, self explanatory.

dave romney is alright, but the trade + salary gives him a budget charge of over 700K/ year, not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the third he counts as Osorio- who was seemingly on his way out.