Page 38 of 174 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    apparently kobe franklin will be a first team player this season, so that covers fullback depth at RB.

laryea can play LB remember.

Our fullbacks as of now: laryea/ JMR/ Franklin
    This would be a good move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This would be a good move.
    yes.

tbh with criscito / mavinga savings, you can probably find 2 excellent starting Cbs and a fullback (hedges+ callens would be max 1.9 M, criscito+ mavinga was about 2.6 M).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed by Fabrizio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    He was apparently rumoured to join this season and then didn't. Part of me felt that he was playing out his TFC2 contract (they exercised his option for 2022) to head to Europe. He was one of the best players in USL1 last year and a much better option than Kosi Thompson at RB and wasn't signed.

This account was right on everything TFC2 related before the season (Munoz leaving for Galaxy, Cimini being hired, player options, Petrasso getting a homegrown) 1-3 weeks before they were announced and had said Franklin was being offered a Homegrown deal for 2022....then he never signed
    https://mobile.twitter.com/LatestTFC...71601677623301
    Looks like Franklin had his contract renewed with TFC2 for 2023. Hopefully that means he'll join TFC...
    https://www.torontofc.ca/tfc2/news/t...ster-decisions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow with Criscito out, and Laryea currently only being here for .5 of a season, essentially we need a whole backline + depth this offseason.

Raise your hand if you have faith in FO to pull this off, especially given all the other needs.

Don't all raise your hands at once..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Wow with Criscito out, and Laryea currently only being here for .5 of a season, essentially we need a whole backline + depth this offseason.

Raise your hand if you have faith in FO to pull this off, especially given all the other needs.

laryea will almost certainly be here long term.

we have depth at CB and fullback (macnaughton, o'neill, maybe mavinga, kosi, JMR, kobe franklin), we need 3 starting defenders though.

hopefully we can one or both of hedges and callens in FA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing MLS free agency is a lot different than getting DPs from overseas or players from SA.

This is far more doable. Waiver re-entry draft should be interesting too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I do worry about their ability to fill all those needs competently and in good time (though that’s literally all I scream about on this board lol).
    ^Exactly this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SKC declines the option on starting centre half Nicolas Isimat-Mirin. Good player. Probably a money move, but a lot of teams will go in for him.

He was at Toulouse during COVID on loan but decided to sign a permanent deal with KC instead.

He was on $950,000 his first year. As that is slightly less than he was making in France, I imagine his second-year-option is more in the $1.05M range.

Too rich for his numbers, but they may see his first year as an adjustment year. He was apparently very good at PSV.

EDIT: His WhoScored shows a consistent improvement in performance last year as well, to the point where he was getting 6.8-7.1 game scores across their last four games. That might explain the interest.
    Last edited by jloome; 11-15-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big D blog says Dallas can't fit Hedges under the cap if he makes over a $1M. Though talking they apparently continue to be far apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they can make signings but they need to start hitting the target more often and laying down solid foundational parts. Re-doing work will set back this team another season and waste our window of opportunity with LI.

Of our most meaningful, non-DP signings so far:

O’Neil: solid, needed part. Not a starter however.
    Kaye: looking questionable
    Criscito: moving on after half a season
    JJ: maybe not reaching the highs or playing as consistently as we’d expect
    Laryea: good start, looked burnt out towards end of year. Fingers crossed he comes in fresh for 2023 and we can keep him.

In totality, mixed.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 11-15-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Tosaint Ricketts may retire at 35. I always thought he was under-rated.

ended with 20 goals across 3544 career minutes.... or 17 goals across a 34 game season.

Only ever started 30 games in eight MLS seasons.

I think Canadian players sometimes are just underrated. They choke a few times early at big moments and are seen as backups from then on. Or they get a starting run and go a little cold, and that's it.

The number of times Ricketts' goals were important, late, game-winning goals wasn't a coincidence. I think he could've had a bigger career. Certainly moving around Europe and playing every position on the field before someone decided he was a striker really didn't help.

EDIT: I may be a little biased. I met him as an 11-year-old kid at a soccer clinic in Edmonton, and he was already the best player of his age in the city, according to a few of the coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a downer the but I think we're headed for at best a very mediocre(just outside playoffs) or at worst a disaster next season.

We need at least 7 new starters, and a whole bunch of depth signings. I didn't see a whole lot of progression in play last year, and maybe one youth player showed solid improvement.

Currently this team is being heavily carried by our designated players. If you add in a lot of new players it will take time for the team to get chemistry. Not every new starter will make an impact, at least 1/4 will be a miss.

To me there is to much work to be done for a winter window.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-15-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed mention in reporting by Gianluca Di Marzio?

Mimmo already back in Italy!

'che è già rientrato in Italia per la pausa Mondiale e domenica era in tribuna al Marassi per la partita dei rossoblù contro il Como.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not to be a downer the but I think we're headed for at best a very mediocre(just outside playoffs) or at worst a disaster next season.

We need at least 7 new starters, and a whole bunch of depth signings. I didn't see a whole lot of progression in play last year, and maybe one youth player showed solid improvement.

Currently this team is being heavily carried by our designated players. If you add in a lot of new players it will take time for the team to get chemistry. Not every new starter will make an impact, at least 1/4 will be a miss.

They're going to have to show hitherto unseen levels of graft and ambition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Missed mention in reporting by Gianluca Di Marzio?

Mimmo already back in Italy!
    He's been posting Instagram stories from a gym in Italy the past few days. The one today had him wearing a TFC uniform while working out though. So he probably doesn't hate the team or anything, which is good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The impact of new starters is mitigated if they come from MLS. Signing from other leagues yes but generally solid MLSers work out when moved.

And yes we have a lot of holes to fill but it can be done if we have the cap space to hit MLS FA hard. A few years back DC hit the waiver draft hard and became good in one winter. It didn't last of course as that's the DC way but it can be done and since they managed it, anyone can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The impact of new starters is mitigated if they come from MLS. Signing from other leagues yes but generally solid MLSers work out when moved. And yes we have a lot of holes to fill but it can be done if we have the cap space to hit MLS FA hard. A few years back DC hit the waiver draft hard and became good in one winter. It didn't last of course as that's the DC way but it can be done and since they managed it, anyone can.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lafc added 11 players last offseason including 5/6 starters to their core of DP heavy talent and it worked out ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lafc added 11 players last offseason including 5/6 starters to their core of DP heavy talent and it worked out ok.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    yep.

when you are bringing in mostly players from within MLS the adjustment/gelling period from the team should not be long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're going to have to show hitherto unseen levels of graft and ambition.
    Agreed. Early returns do not make me terribly confident in their abilities (but am of course hoping it all works out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    He's been posting Instagram stories from a gym in Italy the past few days. The one today had him wearing a TFC uniform while working out though. So he probably doesn't hate the team or anything, which is good
    Thank's.
    Did not know.
    I've got to get on the Insta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC management have never shown that level of aptitude, even in the Bez/Vanney days it took several windows to get competitive.

All I'm saying is to not go into next season with huge expectations. History has shown we have always overpaid for talent, I don't expect TFC to deviate from that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC management have never shown that level of aptitude, even in the Bez/Vanney days it took several windows to get competitive.

All I'm saying is to not go into next season with huge expectations. History has shown we have always overpaid for talent, I don't expect TFC to deviate from that.
    we've got tons of great value players in last 6/7 years.

morrow, beita, moor, cheyrou, deleon, laryea, ricketts, delgado, westberg, auro, benezet, o'neill, macnaughton, kerr.

they were pretty abysmal all around in the ali curtis era, almost every single transfer was a flop, that i will say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

laryea will almost certainly be here long term.

we have depth at CB and fullback (macnaughton, o'neill, maybe mavinga, kosi, JMR, kobe franklin), we need 3 starting defenders though.

hopefully we can one or both of hedges and callens in FA.
    My eyes bulged as I read this.

O'Neill is terrible. Mavinga ain't the Mavinga of '17 and TBH looks like he's not back anyway. Kosi should never EVER see the pitch again at RB. I think it's too early to tell where JMR ends up, but he hasn't convinced anyone that he's a FB IMO. Last but not least, Frankin isn't even a contracted player.

MacNaughton I will agree is acceptable depth if he's #4/5 at CB.

So exactly what depth do you speak of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My eyes bulged as I read this.

O'Neill is terrible. Mavinga ain't the Mavinga of '17 and TBH looks like he's not back anyway. Kosi should never EVER see the pitch again at RB. I think it's too early to tell where JMR ends up, but he hasn't convinced anyone that he's a FB IMO. Last but not least, Frankin isn't even a contracted player.

MacNaughton I will agree is acceptable depth if he's #4/5 at CB.

So exactly what depth do you speak of?
    o'neill and macnaughton are decent depth options (although they both need to play with better CBs to look good).

if we get mavinga it'll be a much cheaper deal, another decent depth option.

we probably need two more fullbacks, but kosi can slot in there the odd game, JMR has been fine and kobe franklin by all accounts will be a first team player next year.

that being said, wouldn't be shocked to see JMR sold, and kosi traded too.

we have CB depth, maybe not at FB, so i retract my comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they're giving Paul Rothrock a camp invite. He's been nothing but impressive since we drafted him for TFC II, by far the most consistent offensive performer, and he deserves a shot. He has a Tommy McNamara vibe about him, and will at the least be a pressing forward with some danger added.

Contact expires at the end of the year and apparently they have yet to offer a new one.

He'll do well somewhere else though, so not really worried about the player. Just seems like good young depth we shouldn't discard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After his performances as a number eight I'm not surprised. They found his ideal position just as he's hitting ideal sale age to a bigger club as well, so they'll probably get a decent chunk of change for him.