Page 34 of 174 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The expansion draft goes tonight at 7pm EST on Elon's garbage site and YouTube. Could be worth following along with as a TFC fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Looked pretty good. Played 90 mins in 27C heat, so he looks ready.

We were pretty dominant until the first Bahraini goal. After that, they looked very much like they were playing a friendly and didn't anyone to be seriously injured.
    How did Laryea look?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    How did Laryea look?
    General consensus on voyageurs board was he wasn't doing much. Much of the play would go through the other side.
    MacNaughton was solid but not much to do in his 15 minute sub appearance

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t get a second look but he looked pretty pissed at the Ref. Handball in the 80s in the box (didn’t really show it) and a hard tackle on the end line on him later.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The expansion draft goes tonight at 7pm EST on Elon's garbage site and YouTube. Could be worth following along with as a TFC fan.
    Also live via MLS's website

Sad Friday night watching this....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And nobody....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jon Bell from the Revs could be an intriguing Mavinga replacement if he is dealt...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Jon Bell from the Revs could be an intriguing Mavinga replacement if he is dealt...
    Or that Nelson guy....LB anybody?

(edit)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is likely the only trade of the expansion draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC State Of The Union With BM & BB Presented By Maria Papadakis.
    Recorded recently? When/date?
    Seems posted several days ago on some social media; youtube.
    With a Toronto FC highlight email blast received by me this afternoon.
    My take...
    Among several points...
    The mention of aiming to play like the first half of the Charlotte FC match.
    IMHO, and I believe theirs, best half/game of the season; 'something special'.
    Of course, all our key players were fit and played... so yeah, duh!
    In-between the lines messaging?
    An expectation of we intend to/will compete now; eg. Leagues Cup.
    Selection pools, apart from Free Agency... players within MLS... < veterans >... wanting/needing a change ( of scenery ).
    Also a mention of scouting... so maybe some left-field surprises/targets?

Postscript...
    Have noticed Oso may be still included in some of the recent TFC social media communications, so...
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-12-2022 at 03:45 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Bill

The pants

The goatee (Movember?)

Nice shirt...

I do like the look sir.... respect to a fellow mid life crisis enjoying guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    TFC State Of The Union With BM & BB Presented By Maria Papadakis.
    Recorded recently? When/date?
    Seems posted several days ago on some social media; youtube.
    With a Toronto FC highlight email blast received by me this afternoon.
    My take...
    Among several points...
    The mention of aiming to play like the first half of the Charlotte FC match.
    IMHO, and I believe theirs, best half/game of the season; 'something special'.
    Of course, all our key players were fit and played... so yeah, duh!
    In-between the lines messaging?
    An expectation of we intend to/will compete now; eg. Leagues Cup.
    Selection pools, apart from Free Agency... players within MLS... < veterans >... wanting/needing a change ( of scenery ).
    Also a mention of scouting... so maybe some left-field surprises/targets?

Postscript...
    Have noticed Oso may be still included in some of the recent TFC social media communications, so...

It's kind of distasteful, a PR interview from an in-house 'host.' It sort of screams message control when they haven't even tried just conventionally talking to people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of distasteful, a PR interview from an in-house 'host.' It sort of screams message control when they haven't even tried just conventionally talking to people.
    You think they’d be doing something with TSN to plug before a Canada match, but I guess we’ll see. Such tight message control screams insecurity at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is why Osorio has new agent:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20407...nuary-toronto/

There's absolutely nothing to that story. It's literally a massive daily newspaper giving free PR to Osorio and his agent, which means the writer owes the agent a favor for tips, or has earned the promise of one.

I can't tell you how much value that has. To buy that sort of ad space in a national daily is costing you thousands of dollars, let alone getting any whiff of natural press coverage associated with it.

"Wizard of OS" "Exclusive"? That agent has some fucking pull boys, believe me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It came from the team & sits on their PR accounts. Sure, there is nothing in that beyond what they want the message to be. They needed to say something now because its season ticket renewal time - this is marketing.

One little tidbit

They mentioned the scouts all came in "earlier this year". That means that they have scouts on the ground, not just scouts in house who go out. Don't know how many scouts but "all the.." implies an amount more then 3.

That is an improvement and better then teams like LAG who have always relied upon the acumen of their internal leaders - GM or coach - to provide contacts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is why Osorio has new agent:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20407...nuary-toronto/

There's absolutely nothing to that story. It's literally a massive daily newspaper giving free PR to Osorio and his agent, which means the writer owes the agent a favor for tips, or has earned the promise of one.

I can't tell you how much value that has. To buy that sort of ad space in a national daily is costing you thousands of dollars, let alone getting any whiff of natural press coverage associated with it.

"Wizard of OS" "Exclusive"? That agent has some fucking pull boys, believe me.
    Impressive. Oso as an English tabloid headline, who’d have expected that!
    Last edited by los sonadores; 11-12-2022 at 09:32 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    You think they’d be doing something with TSN to plug before a Canada match, but I guess we’ll see. Such tight message control screams insecurity at this point.
    it's PR, every single team in the world does in house interviews in the offseason lol

examples:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/jur...seen-something

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/det...an-utd-manager
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-12-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    it's PR, every single team in the world does in house interviews in the offseason lol

examples:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/jur...seen-something

https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/det...an-utd-manager
    I spent 24 years in the media. It's not doing an end-of-year in house interview that is concerning, it's doing it in isolation. There's little other effort to communicate the club's direction, intentions, day-to-day.

I was an assignment editor for several years. There is no such thing as a down period in maintaining positive public attention. They do very little to take advantage of that, and this is a poor substitute.

And Liverpool and Man Utd give and get media requests, access and interviews daily. TFC is practically inert by comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent 24 years in the media. It's not doing an end-of-year in house interview that is concerning, it's doing it in isolation. There's little other effort to communicate the club's direction, intentions, day-to-day.

I was an assignment editor for several years. There is no such thing as a down period in maintaining positive public attention. They do very little to take advantage of that, and this is a poor substitute.

And Liverpool and Man Utd give and get media requests, access and interviews daily. TFC is practically inert by comparison.
    How much of this is the fact that newspapers have little to no dedicated writers on soccer? It’s strange to receive much of our local football news from the company that owns the team or the league itself but I get it that it’s necessary when the daily papers don’t cover the sport. At the same time, enormous entertainment and ‘communications’ corporations that are controlling and propagandistic are not necessary in the business of neutral news or openness.

More directly TFC related, did the club become less communicate after Jeff Bradley was hired? I don’t know anything much about the guy but it seems the shift happened sometime around then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strategy and direction has been very clearly communicated to anyone paying attention, and they've been highlighting their WC bound players on socials.

It's fine. Really.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    How much of this is the fact that newspapers have little to no dedicated writers on soccer? It’s strange to receive much of our local football news from the company that owns the team or the league itself but I get it that it’s necessary when the daily papers don’t cover the sport. At the same time, enormous entertainment and ‘communications’ corporations that are controlling and propagandistic are not necessary in the business of neutral news or openness.

More directly TFC related, did the club become less communicate after Jeff Bradley was hired? I don’t know anything much about the guy but it seems the shift happened sometime around then.
    Also virtually every single bit if soccer coverage in this country right now is world cup related

And rightly so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strategy and direction has been very clearly communicated to anyone paying attention, and they've been highlighting their WC bound players on socials.

It's fine. Really.
    No, it's not. It's poor at best. If you think this is "fine" communications, I assume you're either a) not in communications or media or b) not good at it.

They are making zero attempt to run and control a narrative, they show zero concern in that video for the poor quality of the prior season and they show zero urgency with respect to the rebuild.

There's no gravitas to anything they do, which is disrespectful of their fan base.

Vast amounts of an organizations positive public messaging, advertising and brand-building can be accomplished through consistent and positive media outreach. Most do not take advantage of that; the best organizations do.

Most media is and always has been adequate at best and poor at their worst, which is frequent. That includes corporate communications. But there's nothing wrong with demanding better.

If you also have close to three decades of dealing with the good, the bad and the ugly of it and can compare notes with me to suggest otherwise, I'd love to hear it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's not. It's poor at best. If you think this is "fine" communications, I assume you're either a) not in communications or media or b) not good at it.

They are making zero attempt to run and control a narrative, they show zero concern in that video for the poor quality of the prior season and they show zero urgency with respect to the rebuild.

There's no gravitas to anything they do, which is disrespectful of their fan base.

Vast amounts of an organizations positive public messaging, advertising and brand-building can be accomplished through consistent and positive media outreach. Most do not take advantage of that; the best organizations do.

Most media is and always has been adequate at best and poor at their worst, which is frequent. That includes corporate communications. But there's nothing wrong with demanding better.

If you also have close to three decades of dealing with the good, the bad and the ugly of it and can compare notes with me to suggest otherwise, I'd love to hear it.
    You have your opinion, I have mine.

People can have different opinions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also virtually every single bit if soccer coverage in this country right now is world cup related

And rightly so.
    That’s true. Canada at the world cup is a special event being given broad coverage. But normally most of what written is written for the companies that own the teams rather than independent news organizations. I think the basic rule of that sort of coverage is that there can be no real critique. It’s PR rather than journalism.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember the words "There wasn't enough times when..." being used. That's an acknowledgment of not being good enough. I thought that video respected the knowledge & maturity of the fan base. I would say if they hyped up the "we are going to be going out there to get people of quality" aspect of this offseason, the market would laugh at them.

They are selling deliberation & steadiness wedded to "excitement on the field" from the quality of the players who will play "the way we want to play". That's the slow drip narrative that has been in place since Bradley was hired. Its not sexy but it has been effectivly provided.

And, lets be honest, the fan base right now is solid for this team - 20K+ of SSH who come out & enjoy the event no matter how crap the team is. They are not taking that group for granted - this isn't the Leafs circa the Teacher's Union.

Manning & BB know 2023 is their shot. They are slow building the momentum.

I suspect a couple of free agent signings are in the bag & will be announced soon.

I also wonder whether the league has told teams "Don't attempt to undercut the USMNT & CanMNT hype by making splash signings while those teams are still in the WC" i.e. No significant signings until at least Dec 2

As always, the on field performance is the real test.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-13-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I seem to remember the words "There wasn't enough times when..." being used. That's an acknowledgment of not being good enough. I thought that video respected the knowledge & maturity of the fan base. I would say if they hyped up the "we are going to be going out there to get people of quality" aspect of this offseason, the market would laugh at them.

They are selling deliberation & steadiness wedded to "excitement on the field" from the quality of the players who will play "the way we want to play". That's the slow drip narrative that has been in place since Bradley was hired. Its not sexy but it has been effectivly provided.

And, lets be honest, the fan base right now is solid for this team - 20K+ of SSH who come out & enjoy the event no matter how crap the team is. They are not taking that group for granted - this isn't the Leafs circa the Teacher's Union.

Manning & BB know 2023 is their shot. They are slow building the momentum.

I suspect a couple of free agent signings are in the bag & will be announced soon.

I also wonder whether the league has told teams "Don't attempt to undercut the USMNT & CanMNT hype by making splash signings while those teams are still in the WC" i.e. No significant signings until at least Dec 2

As always, the on field performance is the real test.
    So to sum up your position, they don't need to do any more.

Again, WHY? Why not just do the job well? Why not create a steady stream of interest in your team from people other than just those who already go?

Why not try to create the kind of atmosphere around a team where 30,000 people are singing, not just the supporters groups or ultras? That doesn't happen when a club has zero public profile outside of its existing ticket base.

This team used to have a multi-year waiting list for seasons tickets. Now, it no longer sells out every game.

Anytime there's a single unused seat they should be trying to correct it. And anytime they're well clear of a sellout they should be kicking themselves.

I don't say this because I think people should be worked to death. I say this because I spent two decades around reporters and communications people, and the latter were some of the individually laziest, least competent individuals I've met in 52 years on this planet.

And a lot of the time, their lackadaisical approach seems reflected in how TFC does things.

Also "I would say if they hyped up the "we are going to be going out there to get people of quality" aspect of this offseason, the market would laugh at them."

WHY? That's their JOB. It's not their job to "plug holes" or hire journeymen. It's their job to build the best, most competitive team out there.

THey have practically infinite financial resources to do so, a dozen open roster spots, a free DP slot. Yes, they should be looking for people of quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... It's not doing an end-of-year in house interview that is concerning, it's doing it in isolation...
    When I was making my TFC State Of The Union post, I was thinking about the direction/slant I wanted (it) to take.
    Your/this concern was considered for expression.
    It is valid.
    Instead, I went in a different direction.
    Still, 'the members have so many questions for you guys...' without... 'and this one from jloome in Edmonton'... is concerning.
    Surely a little 'lazy'; maybe even disingenuous.
    The organization has the ability and means to do much better.
    It has and it should.

As an aside...
    This want for control of the message seems to parallel another one involving a recent performance metric of the MLS CUP; it's success.
    That is, the viewership of the match and trying to make it American centric.
    A narrative historically challenged by one of the TFC/Sounders finals.
    A few have championed some concern and disagreement on the social medias about this matter.
    They have received push-back.
    Perhaps a lot of nonsensical brew-hah-hah; a tempest in a teapot.
    Yet, a pet peeve of mine.
    MLS is an international league; American and Canadian.
    Accordingly, such viewership numbers should nee must be assessed in those totalities.
    Certain baseis for core authorized visual media streaming viewership numbers.
    Them being of American-English, American Latin/Spanish, Canadian-English and Canadian-French.
    Otherwise what is the point of the Apple Deal?
    How to eventually consider and judge any of those those metrics; local, regional, national, international and worldwide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF!
    Really?
    'He only played 15 games (908 minutes) for Santos, and didn't convince any of the 5 managers they had in 2022.'
    Dare I suggest given such turbulent circumstances Auro's stay and playing time could also be judged a success by some?
    He 'survived' 5, that's 5, fooking misters; yeesh!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-13-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

WTF!
    Really?
    'He only played 15 games (908 minutes) for Santos, and didn't convince any of the 5 managers they had in 2022.'
    Dare I suggest given such turbulent circumstances Auro's stay and playing time could also be judged a success by some?
    He 'survived' 5, that's 5, fooking misters; yeesh!
    Given that he clearly didn't want to be there, it's probably not surprising. It's a tough league for defenders.

It's unfortunate that all we know of this are rumors. We have no idea why they didn't want him, he has stated he doesn't know why. Soteldo, probably, but who knows.

I was never over-awed by him but he's serviceable MLS back, decent by this league's standards. He doesn't go forward enough, which probably kills him in Bob's system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that he clearly didn't want to be there, it's probably not surprising. It's a tough league for defenders.

It's unfortunate that all we know of this are rumors. We have no idea why they didn't want him, he has stated he doesn't know why. Soteldo, probably, but who knows.

I was never over-awed by him but he's serviceable MLS back, decent by this league's standards. He doesn't go forward enough, which probably kills him in Bob's system.
    Here is my confusion though. Ok that right side, you have Berma in front of him who doesn’t particularly mesh with an overlapping fullback like Laryea. Maybe someone like Auro, who stays at home and gets in the odd cross, makes more sense.

Laryea if he stays around can plug in any number of places. If Herdman can use him in 2-3 different ways, we should be able to as well.