Page 36 of 174 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 5193
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    there's a michael bradley thread for tripe like this, remember?
    Sorry I was just agreeing with ag futbol who also doesn’t feel Michael Bradley is worth what we are paying

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    His numbers per 90 minutes are surprisingly consistent since 2018. They were clearly very careful with him last season. He started 26 games and played 90 min in 25 of then; the eight games he missed were just Dallas resting him, because he's 32 (good lord, good roster management, perish the thought).

He has very few injuries, three in his entire career, the worst a meniscus tear that put him out for seven days. One red card in eight years. One second-yellow red in that period. An average of less than two cards per season.

After he hurt his ankle in 2020, the team sat him for nine games to recover, even though he was technically only out for one game. This might have been due to someone else performing well while he was injured for the one game.

(In 2016, he had the most statistically dominant year in league history for a defender. He was untouchably good. How he did not end up in the Premier League or somewhere after that season is beyond me, as he dominated every stat, even some like tackles that centre halves don't normally dominate. It did lead to five US caps however.)

He's been their captain for five years, so this is a pretty ruthless move, given his performance levels, on Dallas' part.
    according to their press release they are still negotiating with him for a new contract, so we'll see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems harsh but a max tam contract for oso could be killer.

of the 3 full season since 2018, oso has started 57/102 games (under 56%), and is only likely to get worse as he gets older.
    would be good for him, and us, for him to move to europe after this season.

we realistically shouldn't be giving a multi year max TAM contract to a 30 year old with his injury history, regardless of his status as an icon here.
    Fair.
    You are probably right.
    Still, there are always exceptions to a rule.
    Particularly, for those whom transcend in meaning for a club.
    For me, for TFC, at present, it would be Bradley and Osorio.
    On this, my struggle between emotion and reason goes on.
    I realize in MLS firms must deal with Capology.
    Across the pond, not really; not so much.
    Yet, for many leagues and clubs, their finances and operations are not what they once were.
    Besides, by your very own argument of injury/play metrics, no United Kingdom/European club of some note should/would take him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-14-2022 at 03:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect he'll hold out to at least match what he's getting at Dallas. These guys never think age is a factor. Dallas will try to re-up him for less and lose him, as he's one of them most consistent performers in the league.

If I'm in his shoes, I'm not moving to Toronto to make less unless nearer, dearer options have been exhausted... which probably won't happen.

We should just offer him the 15%. It's similar to what we're paying Mavinga already for a much steadier dude.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure his tax rate will be much lower in Texas. Texas does not have individual income tax, so you may need to offer a bit more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Hamid and Ola Kamara both released today by DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps release Cavallini. Not saying to sign him, but he is a childhood friend of Osorio. Maybe entice him (probably wouldn't since his dream is Europe), but it'd also be an easy move for Manning as a Jimenez replacement

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whi...roster-updates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Cavallini signs with Montreal. Easy red cards and wins for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Whitecaps release Cavallini. Not saying to sign him, but he is a childhood friend of Osorio. Maybe entice him (probably wouldn't since his dream is Europe), but it'd also be an easy move for Manning as a Jimenez replacement

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whi...roster-updates
    Wow they really buried that in the press release. Not very respectful to him.

Also a DP leaving for absolutely nothing. Not great business.
    Last edited by Canary10; 11-14-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA Galaxy declined the option on Victor Vazquez, although they remain in discussions on a new deal with him.
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/la-gal...ster-decisions

He was on $440,000 this season. He turns 36 in January, but it's not like speed was ever his strong suit. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in on a Cheyrou type late game sub deal if we could get him on reasonable money. The issue with bringing him back before was the Allocation Order, coming from MLS that's no longer an issue
    Last edited by rydermike; 11-14-2022 at 06:29 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    LA Galaxy declined the option on Victor Vazquez, although they remain in discussions on a new deal with him.
    https://www.lagalaxy.com/news/la-gal...ster-decisions

He was on $440,000 this season. He turns 36 in January, but it's not like speed was ever his strong suit. Wouldn't be opposed to bring him in on a Cheyrou type late game sub deal if we could get him on reasonable money. The issue with bring him back before was the Allocation Order, coming from MLS that's no longer an issue
    oh man if he came in on a really cheap deal i would love this.

he still looked elite in cameos this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way we can accommodate VV on this roster given our existing stable of midfielders and BB’s style of play.

Our lack of pace is already an issue, this would just amplify the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I could be wrong but i am pretty sure his tax rate will be much lower in Texas. Texas does not have individual income tax, so you may need to offer a bit more.
    I suspect under our reciprocal tax agreement with the States, he can claim back anything he pays in Canada if he also pays U.S. tax. Most of my income is U.S. earned but under the agreement with the states I don't have to pay tax there as a Canadian, as long as I pay it here.

It may be that unattributed or over-and-above portions don't count, though, I suppose, or perhaps some jobs aren't eligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavallini lost his head in a hot moment and did something awful. But it was one moment in the guy's life; I'm not going to assume I know enough to judge him from that. And by MLS standards, his career average of 24 games a season and nine goals -- given that many of those were in Mexico -- suggests he's a valuable target man in this league.

I wouldn't give him DP money but if they could get him on a TAM deal, I'd do that.

I'm also of the opinion they can afford Osorio on TAM for at least two more years, and they're buddies who have been playing together off an on for fifteen years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyler Miller's option declined at Minnesota. Sounds like they're trying to re-sign him to a backup wage. He's a starter in this league, based on the last five years.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ers/600225813/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy Thompson's option declined at San Jose. Bit of a surprise. Homegrown, bags of talent, never used properly. They've had him as a ball-playing defender for the last two years when he's really a number eight. Skill player, not dominant enough in games but a good piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, DC cuts veteran defender Brad Smith, formerly of Seattle, a few months after he tears his ACL. Fuckers. I know, biz is biz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta declines purchase option on Ronald Cisneros, 7 goals in 23 starts. Probably too rich for a 10-goal a year guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to their press release they are still negotiating with him for a new contract, so we'll see what happens.
    according to mlssoccer.com "after weeks of reporting talks regarding a new contract weren't close" , which is promising. Clearly he doesn't want to take a pay cut at 32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooh, here's a good pair. Orlando have "bonafide offers" out ... but not yet accepted.... to GK Pedro Gallese and DM Benji Michel.

Both exceeeellent players.

Damn, free agency has changed some shit in this league, finally.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There is no way we can accommodate VV on this roster given our existing stable of midfielders and BB’s style of play.

Our lack of pace is already an issue, this would just amplify the problem.
    Ag futbol you really are the voice of reason on this site absolutely love all your posts. I agree on VV , hard hard pass on bringing him back to TFC, I don’t even want to imagine VV and Michael Bradley playing alongside each other in the middle of the park for this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect under our reciprocal tax agreement with the States, he can claim back anything he pays in Canada if he also pays U.S. tax. Most of my income is U.S. earned but under the agreement with the states I don't have to pay tax there as a Canadian, as long as I pay it here.

It may be that unattributed or over-and-above portions don't count, though, I suppose, or perhaps some jobs aren't eligible.
    There's actually a whole program in NA that deals specifically with tax on athletes. There are definite benefits to your home team being in a low tax jurisdiction (like texas that has no state income tax but it does have federal). Bloomberg did a good write up about jock tax and NBA players but it included Lowry when he was with the raptors so it gives you a solid comparison.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-...n-the-millions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    There's actually a whole program in NA that deals specifically with tax on athletes. There are definite benefits to your home team being in a low tax jurisdiction (like texas that has no state income tax but it does have federal). Bloomberg did a good write up about jock tax and NBA players but it included Lowry when he was with the raptors so it gives you a solid comparison.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-...n-the-millions
    That's pretty interesting. That jock tax is quite the extra snag, not that they can't afford it.

I think the reason the reciprocal agreement doesn't apply is that you have to have your primary residence in the other country.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to mlssoccer.com "after weeks of reporting talks regarding a new contract weren't close" , which is promising. Clearly he doesn't want to take a pay cut at 32.
    Oh sweet.

That's good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavallini lost his head in a hot moment and did something awful. But it was one moment in the guy's life; I'm not going to assume I know enough to judge him from that. And by MLS standards, his career average of 24 games a season and nine goals -- given that many of those were in Mexico -- suggests he's a valuable target man in this league.

I wouldn't give him DP money but if they could get him on a TAM deal, I'd do that.

I'm also of the opinion they can afford Osorio on TAM for at least two more years, and they're buddies who have been playing together off an on for fifteen years.
    Completely appreciate your opinion, JLoome. But, if half of Cavallini's value comes from him being Oso's buddy, we gotta look elsewhere. He isn't an awful player, but I feel like if he was a part time USMNT player like Zardes it would be a hard no for 98% of the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Completely appreciate your opinion, JLoome. But, if half of Cavallini's value comes from him being Oso's buddy, we gotta look elsewhere. He isn't an awful player, but I feel like if he was a part time USMNT player like Zardes it would be a hard no for 98% of the board.
    The idea of a backup striker to me looks more like a guy like Danny Hoesen. A guy who can hold up play for his wingers and will fall under the TAM line. The downfall is the international slot he would cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Cavalini, his salary this year was just under $1.5 million, but

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavallini isn't actually all that good a striker at MLS level.

We'd be choosing him over Akinola & I don't think that's an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Cavallini isn't actually all that good a striker at MLS level.

We'd be choosing him over Akinola & I don't think that's an upgrade.
    Agreed. If the team doesn't want Ayo, we can likely get atleast 400k GAM and open up our u-22 slot. Cavallini only brings value in ticket sales.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Agreed. If the team doesn't want Ayo, we can likely get atleast 400k GAM and open up our u-22 slot. Cavallini only brings value in ticket sales.

I seem to recall people said Rohann Rickett's would help with ticket sales because of the CanMNT pedigree - I didn't see it then, and I doubt Cavalinni would do so now. He is going to be lucky to get 15 minutes across those 3 games.