Page 78 of 174 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Very few teams have made as many moves as we have so far in the season and we've still got a month - the secondary transfer window isn't even open and we've already heard about striker replacements and rather odd big names being tied to us. I think it's quite disingenuous of the people who want more to say there's a lack of activity. There may not be enough activity for those people, but there have been quite a few good moves.
    I guess you can lump me in as one of "those people".

Issue is we need all kinds of changes...we missed the playoffs again, our defensive record was horrific again. If anyone needs to make moves, its us.

And we still having gaping holes everywhere. Just sneaking into the playoffs this year is not progress....we must come out of the gate on fire and be a top 4 ish team, especially with our payroll.

The midfield is very underwhelming still...with no MB replacement (totally by design as BB if I recall actually said someting like there is no one better than him in mls in that spot..wow.)....Kaye has turned out so far to be a major disappointment. Resigning Oso was very good but I do wonder if he can go injury free, hope so.

We lost Crisito. A big loss, he was class. Still don't have a striker to go with the Italians....if Insigne or Berna get hurt, its another lost season.

As always, I will be there every game...but my patience with Manning and Bradley was done long ago. I have zero confidence in them. I don't want to hear about more windows giving them more time. Its now or never and if we don't come out of the gate as a top team, both need to go. LA the very next year after missing the playoffs won it all...a quick turnaround is possible, especially with the players/funds at our disposal.

Just trying to catch up now as well after the WC....

Saw Westburgh left, any keeper in the works?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to point out a couple of things about MAK's recent form. (If these are repeats, sorry, I wasn’t on this section of board during WC.)

First, the Japan friendly: Kaye comes on in second half, looks very good, makes the play that creates the Laryea PK call in extra time. It's a beautiful little give and go.

Sedond, the Morocco game. He starts and has a very good game. Made a critical breakup of a MAR attack that looked like a certain goal.

You can look it up.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Maybe but we had that run to the final based on solid defense. We could barely score in any of the playoff matches. Just relied on timely goals and tough defending. Now if we would have had a legit forward with some pace out there and some fluid play maybe we win that one.
    That’s fair, a lack of a true DP FW killed us in the final as did Altidore’s injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    In 19 our +/- per 90 was 0.96 better with OG on vs off. In 2020 it was 0.34 (although he played almost all the time in 2020, so hard to take much from that).
    Better than what we were without him but worse than what we could have been if we spent that money on a more capable player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just want to point out a couple of things about MAK's recent form. (If these are repeats, sorry, I wasn’t on this section of board during WC.)

First, the Japan friendly: Kaye comes on in second half, looks very good, makes the play that creates the Laryea PK call in extra time. It's a beautiful little give and go.

Sedond, the Morocco game. He starts and has a very good game. Made a critical breakup of a MAR attack that looked like a certain goal.

You can look it up.
    I agree. He looked good in the WC and great in his first match here before the injuries but I am giving up the fight to defend him. He is the new Bono/Delgado/Nelsen/etc.

Even if he wins MOM every match this upcoming season he'll always be looked at as a bad deal because of Priso (even if Priso winds up in MLSNext Pro next year) and the $1M GAM.

Same as Bob Bradley. We could have 12 wins & a draw out of the gate and if in that draw it was 0-0 he would be blamed for getting rid of Pozuelo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Criscito dealings look a lot like cap circumvention. Wonder if this leaves us open to some potential penalty from the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    The Criscito dealings look a lot like cap circumvention. Wonder if this leaves us open to some potential penalty from the league.
    No different than what happened with Salcedo. Seems like a mutual agreement to end the contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Better than what we were without him but worse than what we could have been if we spent that money on a more capable player.
    If wishes were fishes. Without knowing what the choices available to us were, unless we assume all players at a given salary and position were actually available, we don't know if OG was better or worse than the other actual options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    If wishes were fishes. Without knowing what the choices available to us were, unless we assume all players at a given salary and position were actually available, we don't know if OG was better or worse than the other actual options.
    Considering OG was close to the top paid defender in the league at the time but nowhere near the best, this is far from a hypothetical pie-in-the-sky speculation.

And with MLS being far from top 4 league European football, there should pretty well always be a players available in any given window for roles such as this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I allowed to dissent here and state he wasn’t great? He was subbed at half for another player who covers the same position. Thought he was slow and first touch poor. Midfield looked out of sorts but you could blame Herdman for that as well as he got his tactics entirely wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Shenanigans only get you in trouble if you are hiding them from the league. Since the league can practically make up the rules as they go along. Doing whatever you do with them is best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot of "your opinion isn't correct" and "you don't know what you're talking about" going on.

I want to just say:
    1. Even though I write probably quite aggressively (I can do better on that), me disagreeing with you doesn't mean I think your opinion isn't valid. There is literally no right or wrong here on any of this. Example: I think we should have had fullbacks in place beginning last year, others thinking that the kids were the right approach (regardless of the reason why) is totally a valid argument in my mind - I just quite strongly disagree with it.
    2. Suggesting someone has no knowledge or understanding is so inflammatory (I'm prob also guilty of this). I know none of you personally and none of you know me personally - we don't know what each other knows or their experiences without it being offered.

The club has made excellent and timely moves so far, I regret bringing up the fullbacks thing as an example or engaging a hindsight debate in lieu of this and feel like I inflamed tensions a bit.

Right now everything looks very positive, let's give each other charity in considering opinions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Am I allowed to dissent here and state he wasn’t great? He was subbed at half for another player who covers the same position. Thought he was slow and first touch poor. Midfield looked out of sorts but you could blame Herdman for that as well as he got his tactics entirely wrong.
    Sure you can. I mean, we lost the game.

I didn’t think MAK looked out of place and, as it turned it, Morocco's MFs were one of the stories of the tournament
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure you can. I mean, we lost the game.

I didn’t think MAK looked out of place and, as it turned it, Morocco's MFs were one of the stories of the tournament
    Whoa. Is this one of these civil discussion things I have heard about? It is almost like you guys respect each others opinions and don't feel the need to belittle each other because you think you are a superior fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. He looked good in the WC and great in his first match here before the injuries but I am giving up the fight to defend him. He is the new Bono/Delgado/Nelsen/etc.

Even if he wins MOM every match this upcoming season he'll always be looked at as a bad deal because of Priso (even if Priso winds up in MLSNext Pro next year) and the $1M GAM.

Same as Bob Bradley. We could have 12 wins & a draw out of the gate and if in that draw it was 0-0 he would be blamed for getting rid of Pozuelo.
    It's the nature of passion. We all go off too strong sometimes.

Long time no see, gents! Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Interesting point on Ralph Priso over the holidays: the Colorado blog had stats showing he was a top defensive midfield performer, but his numbers going forward were poor.

It does suggest he has issues with being coached. He was literally in the top percentile of DMs when on the field but often got pulled at half time. Maybe he's simply not offensively or tactically aware enough going forward, and it's as easy as that. But when you consider how elite the defensive numbers are, it does make one wonder why two respected managers in a row have decided he shouldn't be on the field. Something's not getting through.

https://www.burgundywave.com/2022/12...ew-ralph-priso

On Criscito, I wonder if there wasn't some mutual relief there. He wanted to go home and, as elite as he was going forward, he had speed issues that would've been exposed a lot next season.

On Norwegian strikers, I'd like to think the Rosenborg dude, who is VERY untested as he's in his first year of top flight football, is a smokescreen to getting this guy as a young DP, his 22-year-old teammate:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/casper...spieler/464598

15 goals in 14 games this year as a 6'2, 22-year-old striker, after impressive numbers in the Danish league in the two years prior. Also good with the ball at his feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back! I missed you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's the nature of passion. We all go off too strong sometimes.

Long time no see, gents! Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Interesting point on Ralph Priso over the holidays: the Colorado blog had stats showing he was a top defensive midfield performer, but his numbers going forward were poor.

It does suggest he has issues with being coached. He was literally in the top percentile of DMs when on the field but often got pulled at half time. Maybe he's simply not offensively or tactically aware enough going forward, and it's as easy as that. But when you consider how elite the defensive numbers are, it does make one wonder why two respected managers in a row have decided he shouldn't be on the field. Something's not getting through.

https://www.burgundywave.com/2022/12...ew-ralph-priso

On Criscito, I wonder if there wasn't some mutual relief there. He wanted to go home and, as elite as he was going forward, he had speed issues that would've been exposed a lot next season.

On Norwegian strikers, I'd like to think the Rosenborg dude, who is VERY untested as he's in his first year of top flight football, is a smokescreen to getting this guy as a young DP, his 22-year-old teammate:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/casper...spieler/464598

15 goals in 14 games this year as a 6'2, 22-year-old striker, after impressive numbers in the Danish league in the two years prior. Also good with the ball at his feet.
    I was honestly thinking about the other guy. I don't think our FO is that big-brain but that would be kind of neat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Welcome back! I missed you.
    Cheers dude, hope you had a good holiday. I am still recovering from way too much sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I was honestly thinking about the other guy. I don't think our FO is that big-brain but that would be kind of neat!
    To be honest, he doesn't look a bad prospect either. But he's also 26 and not scoring at quite the same clip as the younger guy, so...

Either way, a striker would be nice for New Years.

Surprised to hear Callen might be going back to Peru. Can't see him getting TAM money there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers dude, hope you had a good holiday. I am still recovering from way too much sugar.

To be honest, he doesn't look a bad prospect either. But he's also 26 and not scoring at quite the same clip as the younger guy, so...

Surprised to hear Callen might be going back to Peru. Can't see him getting TAM money there.
    Welcome back, sir. I was wondering the other day where you had gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping that the FO gets the roster holes sorted out prior to preseason. But if they don't, how much of that failure would be the responsibility of either Manning or BB? I know a number of people look at Manning's RSL Cup-winning squad, but I'd argue that success was due to Garth Ledgerway being their GM at the time. Who is supposed to do the majority of the roster moves in this FO setup? If Bradley has the vision and Manning simply can't execute to get the players BB needs, would that be readily apparent come training camp?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Who is supposed to do the majority of the roster moves in this FO setup? If Bradley has the vision and Manning simply can't execute to get the players BB needs, would that be readily apparent come training camp?
    I think this is all Bob's department now minus the number crunching + wining & dining of higher profile players. That's Manning's department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm hoping that the FO gets the roster holes sorted out prior to preseason. But if they don't, how much of that failure would be the responsibility of either Manning or BB? I know a number of people look at Manning's RSL Cup-winning squad, but I'd argue that success was due to Garth Ledgerway being their GM at the time. Who is supposed to do the majority of the roster moves in this FO setup? If Bradley has the vision and Manning simply can't execute to get the players BB needs, would that be readily apparent come training camp?
    I don’t think there is any need to split hairs. They both wear any successes or failures.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we talked about Saeter at length - I was actually interested in maybe sniping out that U22 DP, but I don't think our friends are THAT good at luring talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penarol looking at Cavallini. I know he's been discussed in here by some as a potential striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There's a lot of "your opinion isn't correct" and "you don't know what you're talking about" going on.
    I want to just say:
    1. me disagreeing with you doesn't mean I think your opinion isn't valid. There is literally no right or wrong here on any of this.
    I could not agree with this more. I don't post too too much, mainly because it feels like every post I make now gets rebuttaled to say I'm wrong, no matter how benign it is (and I don't really post anything too extreme in the first place, manly just mild observations and thoughts). Literally no one's opinion on this board really matters in the grand scheme of things because management is going to do what they think is best anyways, but it's fun to discuss it with other fellow fans because what else are we going to do when it's not gametime (playing armchair GM is fun in every sport). Discussion can have different viewpoints (which is what makes it a discussion instead of just blind disagreement), but when that gets antagonistic because you can't accept any other pov is when it becomes not fun to even read this board.
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-29-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Penarol looking at Cavallini. I know he's been discussed in here by some as a potential striker.
    Seems a good fit. It was sort of too bad he came to MLS for the big Whitecaps payout. Other than his bank account it doesn’t seem to have done him (or Canada) much good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know nothing about salaries in Uruguay, but this story says that the top player at Nacional (a club comparable to Penarol I think) makes $30,000 a month.

https://www.bloomberglinea.com/engli...r-former-club/

I would pay that to Cavallini, if I were TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if Bradley rates him? I don’t have much sense of that but I think he’d be a better idea than Akinola. I was thinking Montevideo might be an enjoyable place to play and a possible way back to Liga MX.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Wonder if Bradley rates him? I don’t have much sense of that but I think he’d be a better idea than Akinola. I was thinking Montevideo might be an enjoyable place to play and a possible way back to Liga MX.
    I think he is the perfect fit for what we're doing minus his meatheaded-ness.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is the perfect fit for what we're doing minus his meatheaded-ness.
    i would hope he would grow up playing for his hometown team with superstars.