Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2022-2023 player off-season roster discussion

TFC 2022-2023

General roster discussion

Player off-season moves/speculation/rumours
    Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-09-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a feeling this will be a busy thread. Or atleast hoping it will be a busy thread.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a team that starts first match of the season with its intended, final, best squad?

Waiting half the year for over paid saviours didn't work out.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had 4/5 of a bottle of red so take this for what it's worth :

We need a defensive captain.

Our current defence, even if you had the best keeper in the world, would be not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I have had 4/5 of a bottle of red so take this for what it's worth :

We need a defensive captain.

Our current defence, even if you had the best keeper in the world, would be not good enough.
    More than anything, other than goalie, we need a defensive midfielder, a proper holder. This notion of having all number 8s who can play both directions equally is utter delusional folly.

Most of our defensive woes stem directly from our inability to slow the other team down in transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d usually write up the laundry list, but it’s so exasperating.

I feel like calling for BB’s sacking, but I like him as a coach overall, despite what my criticisms on this board.

I just hope they fix this because it is frustratingly unacceptable.

I don’t know in what world, business, or industry where you could viciously outspend your peers and not have people’s names for it.

It’s all crazy to me. But everyone here knows this (and likely too well). Cheers to the off-season folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    How about a team that starts first match of the season with its intended, final, best squad?

Waiting half the year for over paid saviours didn't work out.
    Yeah, the patience being demanded of fans will be seriously pushing it if the day one team doesn’t look good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me throw my name in the hat for more “professionals” and less youth players. Our depth has to be more than kids from the academy who as a whole didn’t arrive game ready and didn’t improve much over the course of the year.

Management has only itself to blame for this and if it continues next year I don’t want to hear any waffling in pressers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let me throw my name in the hat for more “professionals” and less youth players. Our depth has to be more than kids from the academy who as a whole didn’t arrive game ready and didn’t improve much over the course of the year.

Management has only itself to blame for this and if it continues next year I don’t want to hear any waffling in pressers.
    Yeah, I agree. A bench full of young players with little MLS experience and not much practical evidence that they can play substantial minutes will handcuff us. There are plenty of teenagers starting on clubs all over the world and a bunch of guys who look really good in this league but they play only when they help the club on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder, getting rid of Achara, Mavinga, or Jimenez will not free up any additional international slots. Those three guys would take up the bonus 3 slots we get for being a Canadian team that have to be used on players with at least 1 year of playing for the team. Bernadeschi, Insigne, and Criscito do not qualify yet, so take up three regular spots, which means we have only four open international slots regardless of what we do with Achara/Mavinga/Jimenez. (Our 8th slot, we traded to Colorado in the Kaye trade, the overpayment trade that keeps getting more and more expensive. We also don't have our 1st rounder because of that trade)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just ended what I assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was the worst season in league history, and by miles, in terms of dollar spent vs points earned. My main question this off season will be if we can keep convincing MLSE to flush money down the toilet when it comes to the open DP slot. Though even if we do if we can't suddenly realize how to make trades, manage contracts and actually manage the MLS roster rules we'll still be screwed. There is ALOT of work to do this winter and a hell of alot on the line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    More than anything, other than goalie, we need a defensive midfielder, a proper holder. This notion of having all number 8s who can play both directions equally is utter delusional folly.

Most of our defensive woes stem directly from our inability to slow the other team down in transition.
    Has any of Bradley’s sides used proper holders? (Actual question to anyone who might know, who saw his club in Norway and the Egypt team, not rhetorical question). And I don’t mean one number 8 who plays more central defensively than the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah, I agree. A bench full of young players with little MLS experience and not much practical evidence that they can play substantial minutes will handcuff us. There are plenty of teenagers starting on clubs all over the world and a bunch of guys who look really good in this league but they play only when they help the club on the field.
    Yep.

In a very non defence of said players, maybe we should start playing then in their actual positions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should hear by Tuesday about people not signed for next season.

Expect "locker clean out" coverage to be Tuesday as well.

We will know by the end of the week a lot more information.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My idle speculation is that dumpster fires of this intensity have big consequences. I expect surprises.

Could be a very big news week coming up.

Here's my number one speculation: MB must retire next week. He just has to. Or BB has to be told he must be moved, if he wants to play. Which means, I think, that BB might quit. We cannot move forward if this is not dealt with right up front.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep.

In a very non defence of said players, maybe we should start playing then in their actual positions.
    That would be a very good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My idle speculation is that dumpster fires of this intensity have big consequences. I expect surprises.

Here's my number one speculation: MB must retire next week. He just has to. Or BB has to be told he must be moved, if he wants to play. Which means, I think, that BB might quit. We cannot move forward if this is not dealt with right up front.
    I don’t know if those in power get it. But there’s a certain 5’4 guy who stormed off last week and hasn’t been heard from since who might have some opinions.

The whole atmosphere surrounding this team at the moment feels complicated. And doesn’t exactly feel like it’s setting the stage for future success (to me at least)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know if those in power get it. But there’s a certain 5’4 guy who stormed off last week and hasn’t been heard from since who might have some opinions.

The whole atmosphere surrounding this team at the moment feels complicated. And doesn’t exactly feel like it’s setting the stage for future success (to me at least)
    You realize he had some other, more serious issues going on right? The fact he even played says more than him being upset on the way off the pitch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB said in prematch presser that there was a lot more they wanted to do this season in terms of squad building but was impossible due to preexisting conditions and contracts.

Likely talking about mavinga Bono and westberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    BB said in prematch presser that there was a lot more they wanted to do this season in terms of squad building but was impossible due to preexisting conditions and contracts.

He had full control and got rid of a lot of players- Maybe he should have tried with players TFC had rather than getting rid of mid field depth to make his son look more needed .

Smh no excuse Armas and perez didn't get to survive and had no insigne, FB or Mimo.

Anyone saying BB had less talent- that was his decision to proceed with .

And the scary part is- FB, laryea, and mimo's game basically nose dived - not sure what the heck coaching coaches players best play style to change

This is the most scary part or the fact he rode with Bono so long even after Bono scored what twice on himself off opposing players (they didn't count- one should have stood for sure )

I'm really feeling uneasy about re-investing again.

They didn't even recoup money from poz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB appears to have had bad judgment about who to get rid of. That was a choice he made.

Putting aside Dwyer (and the high draft pick) - that was kind of different… he dumped Delgado, Lawrence, Auro. If he had kept them and dumped Mavinga and Bono, wouldn’t we have been better off?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC in its history has never had a top notch coach with an established pedigree of success. BB is the closest we have ever had. The organizations is willing to pay big to attract players, but they are not willing to pay big to attract coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

We shall see. I don't think BB is going anywhere and, as such, I predict Michael leads the team on minutes played next season

I think the person sweating the most right now is Manning. I think he owns the financial mismanagement of the team post Bez leaving almost exclusively and this season (again, we're talking maybe the worst season in the history of the league) is very very hard to excuse. Bob called the shots this year and got alot (most) of decisions wrong but Manning enabled that, and what happened before Bob, and has overseen cluster fuck after cluster fuck of terrible trade decisions and contract management and general burning of money with nothing to show for it.

My idle speculation is Manning goes and someone comes in who is alot more hands on than he was

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado wanted out.

Mavinga seriously regressed this year

The 3rd keeper signing indicates to me they had a deal for somebody to move out.

I agree that MB should stand down from starting but I doubt it happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado wanted out.

The 3rd keeper signing indicates to me they had a deal for somebody to move out.

I think it could.

Bob in his post match presser said even this year the goal was not for Michael to play every game, but injuries made it necessary (okello, priso, oso, Kaye all missed large parts of the year through injury).

I think next year he rotates in and iut of lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado wanted out.

The fact that so many of our players suddenly "wanted out", including one of the league's best, is in and of itself telling.

When we were winning things elite players never simply wanted out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are a ton of issues to be sorted out, the biggest one is that we are talking about moving 5 starters out of the lineup. Sure we have money but without cohesion and playing time together this will be still a work in progress. I really hope i am wrong but i dont think buying our way out of it is going to be easy unless some ridiculously fortunate availabilities occur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: roster building… Life gets a lot harder when you do things that are stupid.

We cover part of Kamal Lawrence’s salary to play elsewhere. Let that sink in. We pay for a starter on a playoff team and we ourselves have zero depth.

But Lawrence creates a bad team atmosphere apparently or isn’t focused on football. Unlike our team, which is focused on nothing but football considerations and creating a good team atmosphere by giving the coach’s aging son the captain armband and playing him every available minute of game time.

Sounds believable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob in his post match presser said even this year the goal was not for Michael to play every game, but injuries made it necessary (okello, priso, oso, Kaye all missed large parts of the year through injury).

I think next year he rotates in and iut of lineup.
    I find it hard to believe that.

1) If the goal was not to play him so many minutes, why did you ship out his only real like for like replacement in Priso and not bring in his replacement.

2) If the goal was not to play him so many minutes, why did he always play the full 90 even in games that were over and decided well before the end of the game. If we're losing 3-0 and there's half an hour left, why not sub him out and give him a half hour rest.

Sure you could argue that the Rapids demanded Priso. Maybe that's true. Yes, you can argue injuries required MB to play games (like when Perez was forced to go back to him after Priso got hurt).

But if the goal was truly to not play Bradley every game and every minute, there's no excuse for Point #2. If a game is well over and decided, why keep your 35 year old CM in the game logging unnecessary miles. That tells me it's a lie and/or excuse. Bob never had any intention of not playing MB. He had many many opportunities to not play him for even just 5/10/15/30 minutes within a game and only did so once the second game of the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who is all in on the CMNT, and frnakly that has made this TFC season much much easier to take….

It is pretty weird how much the CMNT is more than the sum of the parts, and how much TFC is less than the sum of the parts.

We are not as bad as we looked the last 5 weeks, so we should be careful here. In particular I really don’t know what to think about Nelson, Shaff and JMR for next year. The classic kneejerk TFC response would be to move on.

I really think moving on from MB, and getting a new 6, would solve numerous problems at once.