Page 169 of 174 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really REALLY need that fullback. I'm not convinced that we necessarily NEED another striker with the yute depth, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another one (though at the price we're looking at, I don't think we'll find anyone that we shouldn't just try the yutes in place of).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    We really REALLY need that fullback. I'm not convinced that we necessarily NEED another striker with the yute depth, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another one (though at the price we're looking at, I don't think we'll find anyone that we shouldn't just try the yutes in place of).
    i think ayo and dio will get first half of season (and if ayo looks like he did when he came on saturday, it would be), and they will sign a DP striker free agent in july.

bill manning alluded to that possibility in his big toronto sun interview.

i do agree we badly need another fullback though. maybe 2, if there are signs that forest won't play ball with larye'a loan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i think ayo and dio will get first half of season (and if ayo looks like he did when he came on saturday, it would be), and they will sign a DP striker free agent in july.

bill manning alluded to that possibility in his big toronto sun interview.

i do agree we badly need another fullback though. maybe 2, if there are signs that forest won't play ball with larye'a loan.
    I'm ready to roll into the season as-is with the yutes backing up now but the only big hole is that. Laryea or Petretta goes down and we cry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I'm ready to roll into the season as-is with the yutes backing up now but the only big hole is that. Laryea or Petretta goes down and we cry.
    yeah, would be shocked if we didn't bring someone else in soon.

even before the weekend. i reckon the JJ deal frees up some space, even paying a bit of his wages still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody get a bookie to give odds on one or both of Manning/BB getting the sack before June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Somebody get a bookie to give odds on one or both of Manning/BB getting the sack before June.
    To be fair, though, that's any manager at any club at this stage of the season.

Anyone comes out of the gate and loses five straight or six of the first eight, that sort of start, is clinging.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to have a good understanding of what exactly Bill is being judged on as he responsibilities go beyond TFC. Also you have to remember MLSE still does not have a new President and CEO in place, so how the board reacts and decides to do thing before is uncertain. Coach is a completely different thing, that would fall under Bill's watch.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macnaughton, ayo looked decent the other day, JMR.

but yes, we still need a couple more in. they said they were looking at adding fullbacks, a striker and a CM.

CM down, i think we'll see more movement still.
    On careful listening to our manager/sporting director’s last press conference he took pains to say that adding a LB, a RB, “a bit in midfield”, and maybe even up front didn’t necessarily mean adding from outside.

Now this could be mostly be his message to the kids who can play these positions that they have a chance to win a place, but as narrated by him both backs could be filled by guys on the roster or at tfc2. He wasn’t saying outright as Vanney did “we need 3 or 4 players”, he was saying if the young guys we have don’t step up, we could add from outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Servania played some right back and right wing back in Austria. Doesn’t sound like that’s Bradley’s idea of his position but he could probably play right back if necessary.

edit: Only 4 matches at right back and right wing back but that was almost half his appearance total in the Austrian Bundesliga.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-21-2023 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was truly a great move by TFC management. You get a young midfielder with potential to add to the fold at our weakest position and simultaneously get rid of Jimenez and when a striker becomes available you can even upgrade on Jimenez. You do 1.5 moves in one move. Just need to get a striker before June to complete it, well done. But unlike midfield, we may actually survive with what we have. I couldn't say the same for midfield. And I hope JJ goes and scores 15 for Dallas but it just wasn't a fit here.

I assume Bradley will start but this is my ideal starting 11 at full strength. Kaye will get back to form soon.

----------------Diomande/Akinola

Insgine-------------------------------Bernadeschi

---------------------Osorio

-----------Kaye-----------------Servania

Petretta-------Rosted--------Hedges---------Laryea

----------------------Johnson

Bradley, O'Neil, Vasquez, Akinola/Diomande

Decent enough top 15 guys. Let's see how it goes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    This was truly a great move by TFC management. You get a young midfielder with potential to add to the fold at our weakest position and simultaneously get rid of Jimenez and when a striker becomes available you can even upgrade on Jimenez. You do 1.5 moves in one move. Just need to get a striker before June to complete it, well done. But unlike midfield, we may actually survive with what we have. I couldn't say the same for midfield. And I hope JJ goes and scores 15 for Dallas but it just wasn't a fit here.

I assume Bradley will start but this is my ideal starting 11 at full strength. Kaye will get back to form soon.

Can't say that without at least one multitool backup for the fullback positions - do we really want to roll out JMR/Antonogolou?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

No MacNaughton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    On careful listening to our manager/sporting director’s last press conference he took pains to say that adding a LB, a RB, “a bit in midfield”, and maybe even up front didn’t necessarily mean adding from outside.

Now this could be mostly be his message to the kids who can play these positions that they have a chance to win a place, but as narrated by him both backs could be filled by guys on the roster or at tfc2. He wasn’t saying outright as Vanney did “we need 3 or 4 players”, he was saying if the young guys we have don’t step up, we could add from outside.
    Let’s really hope someone rises to the occasion. Not sure these guys understand how much of an anomaly last year was with the time they received as young players (who frankly, were not ready to play). They should be building on that experience and trying their hardest to prove their worth this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belotti in the summer anyone?

out of contract, roma move hasn't gone well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the latest trade, but I’m a little sad to see Jimenez go. I can’t help but question the squad building under Bob, seems a little haphazard at times. I’m trying my best to trust in his vision, but I can’t help but wonder is MLSE is a bit of a poison pill for any manager of TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I like the latest trade, but I’m a little sad to see Jimenez go. I can’t help but question the squad building under Bob, seems a little haphazard at times. I’m trying my best to trust in his vision, but I can’t help but wonder is MLSE is a bit of a poison pill for any manager of TFC.
    seems to be the opposite, they've managed to swing big free agents bc of MLSE resources.

imo squad building isn't fully linear, not every signing will work out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also there is always the side we don't see behind closed doors. Perhaps JJ asked Bob for a move. Not all moves are initiated by the club but sometimes the club is trying to help a player be happy if not happy in the current setup. Not saying JJ was not happy because I don't know if he was or was not but clubs need to have players bought in on their roles, whether it is starter or bench player, to be successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the rumour was, Belotti and our current set of Italians don’t exactly like each other. Or something to that effect.

Because otherwise, I would agree he’s the exact sort of player we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not do the Belotti rumors again lol

Tammy Abraham picked up a knock for Roma yesterday so Belotti may actually get a run of games for them now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems to be the opposite, they've managed to swing big free agents bc of MLSE resources.

I would argue that it’s possible that the money papers over underlying problems. Not that I have any proof, I’m running mostly on intuition here. The big purchases are a great advantage, but that advantage dwindles towards the end of the roster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I thought the rumour was, Belotti and our current set of Italians don’t exactly like each other. Or something to that effect.

Because otherwise, I would agree he’s the exact sort of player we need.
    Our current set of Italians apparently don't like each other much either but I would rather not go for Belotti anyway. I am hopeful Diomande can get back his LAFC form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Our current set of Italians apparently don't like each other much either but I would rather not go for Belotti anyway. I am hopeful Diomande can get back his LAFC form.
    I feel like these guys sort of need some sort of big signing at striker to avoid taking too many “hero” shots when guys are available for much better chances on cutbacks or simple passes.

They just have never felt the pressure because what’s an everyday player going to say to someone of LI or Berna’s profile?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Singh is not a reputable source and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him on team dynamics

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think they don't like each other, they had a falling out but have patched up now.

i think falling outs in dressing rooms are fairly commonplace tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would not touch him with a 10 foot pole.overpaid,but that would be perfect for tfc they love doing that.didnt want ro come here.i think they will go with a younger cheaper dp

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminder this thread is about player movements and roster construction. Keep on topic please.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power rankings are out. They have us a 10. I like the moves that they have made in the off season but I just don't see us as higher as 10. Maybe this new roster clicks early and we do well but as always we're one injury away from disaster. What do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Power rankings are out. They have us a 10. I like the moves that they have made in the off season but I just don't see us as higher as 10. Maybe this new roster clicks early and we do well but as always we're one injury away from disaster. What do you all think?
    I think we should be higher. Looking at other teams, this is a top five starting roster, easily.

I don't think we're one injury from disaster. We're TWO injuries from disaster. I think the lineup can stand one kid without falling apart. But as soon as we get to two, then we have two of three zones in which an opponent can specifically attack that weak area of the pitch.

So many teams have made massive changes this season that I expect multiple teams to be cold in the first few weeks. DC beat LAFC in a friendly about a week ago, but LAFC subbed out a lot of starters. I like Klischy from Leeds -- he's very talented on the ball -- but I expect him to underestimate the league's speed and physicality, as he's accustomed to extremely rigid technical play under Bielsa, and Gegenpress under MArsch won't have prepared him for MLS style particularly.

So he might take a few games to adjust. One, hopefully, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I feel like these guys sort of need some sort of big signing at striker to avoid taking too many “hero” shots when guys are available for much better chances on cutbacks or simple passes.

They just have never felt the pressure because what’s an everyday player going to say to someone of LI or Berna’s profile?
    I’m of the same opinion and hoping Diomande starts hot. Also, does Berna work better this year with Richie? Striker aside, the midfield and forwards should know each other which should help. It’s the keeper and back four who haven’t played together.

I suppose this is a modest version of the weird MLS condition much talked about when Beckham arrived to play with guys making peanuts. Overall the league is more balanced now but not as balanced as many leagues. Our one brilliant season had a lot to to do with the respect for each other and synergy that Giovinco and Jozy had.

Interestingly, Bradley has spoken a lot about VV helping practices with his decision making. That must have been lacking last season with all the kids plus the Osorio and Kaye injuries. Certainly Insigne and Berna would not have been used to that.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-21-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think we should be higher. Looking at other teams, this is a top five starting roster, easily.

I don't think we're one injury from disaster. We're TWO injuries from disaster. I think the lineup can stand one kid without falling apart. But as soon as we get to two, then we have two of three zones in which an opponent can specifically attack that weak area of the pitch.

So many teams have made massive changes this season that I expect multiple teams to be cold in the first few weeks. DC beat LAFC in a friendly about a week ago, but LAFC subbed out a lot of starters. I like Klischy from Leeds -- he's very talented on the ball -- but I expect him to underestimate the league's speed and physicality, as he's accustomed to extremely rigid technical play under Bielsa, and Gegenpress under MArsch won't have prepared him for MLS style particularly.

So he might take a few games to adjust. One, hopefully, at least.
    Yeah, I think that’s right, two kids starting would be one too many.