1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Would Larin work?
    With Lolo and Fede?
    Maybe.
    I do not know.
    Though, for now, I would classify him as a second tier candidate.
    I don't think he is the ideal choice. We need a pure target #9 and I see Larin more like JJ. He drifts a lot, drops back for service, and looks to poach. I think a solid banger type would work well with our wide players that's why I think Cavallini would do fine even though he's a meathead. He can do that job but it'd be on Bob to drill that positioning into him and to try to get him to stop stepping on player's heads and being reckless (probably impossible to do).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think he is the ideal choice. We need a pure target #9 and I see Larin more like JJ. He drifts a lot, drops back for service, and looks to poach. I think a solid banger type would work well with our wide players that's why I think Cavallini would do fine even though he's a meathead. He can do that job but it'd be on Bob to drill that positioning into him and to try to get him to stop stepping on player's heads and being reckless (probably impossible to do).
    I generally agree. While Larin is not entirely foreign to crashing the box and playing like a target, it’s not what he does best. He also isn’t great at pressing. Would I take him? Sure, share your opinion he might not be the best fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that this is new news... he's been pretty open about wanting to return.

We're trying to bring Vazquez back already... Seba on a vet minimum, Cheyrou type of deal? What's the feeling on that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Not that this is new news... he's been pretty open about wanting to return.
    We're trying to bring Vazquez back already...
    Seba on a vet minimum, Cheyrou type of deal? What's the feeling on that?
    Open to one or the other.
    Unfortunately, not both.
    My nostalgia now has a limit.
    Not enough room on the pitch or the roster- financials- for what either- together- may offer/have.
    Love Seba, yet realistically, VV is the one that seems to maybe have something immediately left in the gas tank.
    BTW, a connect to Messi; just saying.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-28-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has always been the problem with the Seba return, and likely still is https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/12...se-to-dp-money

The story hasn't changed from TFCs end. Cheap and happy to be a rotation player who mainly is about coming off the bench? Great. Wants TAM/DP money and a regular start? Absolutely not. And I suspect that's why a deal can't be done. Him saying he wants to come back isn't news, he's been banging that drum for 2 years now, if he says he wants to come back on a low wage and be a rotation player then it'd become news.

I'm also wildly skeptical about Larin as an option. I don't see that making sense for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also signing Cavallini would keep a DP spot open for a CDM or an Osorio replacement. Larin 100% would be a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with Giovinco is also the Allocation Order. It's why Vázquez went to the Galaxy instead of coming here. With the Reentry draft, the Allocation Order was no longer an issue, so there was a means for VV to return, that means isn't available for Gio

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also signing Cavallini would keep a DP spot open for a CDM or an Osorio replacement. Larin 100% would be a DP.
    Cavallini would be a questionable signing given the desire to build culture here, but if he can be reined in, maybe?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Cavallini would be a questionable signing given the desire to build culture here, but if he can be reined in, maybe?
    This is a big issue with him along with his boneheaded moves on the pitch but he has the right kind of game to work with LI & FB.

At some point you'd think he would consider there won't be bridges left to burn so maybe he should rein himself in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Well Son, let me tell you the story of The Scorpian & The Frog…
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-28-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The issue with Giovinco is also the Allocation Order. It's why Vázquez went to the Galaxy instead of coming here. With the Reentry draft, the Allocation Order was no longer an issue, so there was a means for VV to return, that means isn't available for Gio
    These stupid rules have got to be abolished.

I'm not advocating for Giovinco's return, but if he wants close to league minimum and rotational/backup substitute duties then that's fine. Not at the cost of extra monopoly money though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather hugo mbongue get those mins than a 36 year old giovinco who hasn't played a game in ages and had only made 2 appearances in over a year

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    I'd rather hugo mbongue get those mins than a 36 year old giovinco who hasn't played a game in ages and had only made 2 appearances in over a year
    For sure. There is literally no sense to the move other than sentimentality/nostalgia. If we had a cap free league with no allocation order to navigate then fine but we do so.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure. There is literally no sense to the move other than sentimentality/nostalgia. If we had a cap free league with no allocation order to navigate then fine but we do so.....
    Imagine giving up a first round draft pick or enough allocation to sign a promising player to sign an aging player who barely has played in years.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live for the day Seba officially retires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, if my math is correct (which it usually is not), we have one more day to sign VV in this current window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of the other teams who picked a player in stage 2 announced their signings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding VV:

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94

@phil744 Deadline to extend a genuine offer is tomorrow. He doesn’t need to accept it by then. But the longer the two sides go without striking a deal, the less likely anything will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Regarding VV:

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94

@phil744 Deadline to extend a genuine offer is tomorrow. He doesn’t need to accept it by then. But the longer the two sides go without striking a deal, the less likely anything will happen.
    Glad you got an answer. I would rather have Victor back than Gio. Victor proved last year he can still go in MLS. Seba showed he can barely get through two appearances in five months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agree.

Still… seems like some… ‘intrigue at the palace’ happenin’.
    MS stating was not the money, not the role, not D’Amico/t-camp.
    So what then? Just not good enough?
    Hmmm… Watson who’s left… the firm of BB&M?
    Some NFL Managerial Candidate type corporate gas-lighting going on?
    Going through the motions?
    Someone needs to finally spill that tea!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-29-2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Grammar

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 11-28-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Yep.
    Been perculating.
    Serious.
    Club organization- Board Of Directors, most- under Italian prosecutorial investigation.
    Angelli preemptive optics?
    Covid stresses exacerbated?
    Individuals caught with hands in the cookie jar or fingers on the scale at the very least.
    Apparently... false accounting and market manipulation.
    A bit of SerieA - Italian Style shenanigans?
    The word is 'Plusvalenza'... aka Capital Gains... creative accounting?
    Wonder if some other leagues... EPL, LL, and some of their clubs... operating similarly?
    Winds of Parmalat?

Interesting read...
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamdig...h=7b4ef3237505

Like Fede, I suspect Bentancur would have been a nice get.
    I believe there are a few players within their systems of interest.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-29-2022 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Update

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that the CMNT picture is clearer (ie the guys that increased their stock were Buchanan and Laryea, maybe Davies, maybe Miller)…

I am assuming that CMNT players will be a high priority for TFC going forward. 2026 and all that…

Oso: I would just like for us to get Oso done on a max TAM deal. I am really not sure Oso can easily get a more attractive deal in Europe. But can we construct something for TFC's homegrown World Cup player that works professionally and personally…? I have been wondering about a scenario where we sign him and he immediately goes out on loan somewhere for the rest of the European season. Then he comes back in July (unless of course he does well and the loan deal is made permanent, in which case we make a couple of million for our trouble).

Laryea: I don’t think we see him again at TFC. Hard not to imagine that he will be recalled (possibly loaned elsewhere), and it doesn’t make sense for TFC to have him until June only. Thank you and godspeed, Richie.

Adekugbe: didn’t start so his stock went down. I love this player, and he can replace Richie. I hope there is a reasonable way to do this.

Larin: I am really not sure he should be in Toronto, if he does return to MLS. I think is a DP and he should be a featured guy, you build around him… which would not happen here. He is streaky as hell, which always makes me nervous.

Cavallini: I think this makes a ton of sense if he can be signed at the right price, ie a TAM player on a two year contract. I don’t understand why he is so unpopular. A target man, strong in the air, is what our Italians need.We used to like bruisers around here, Dichio got a lot of cards too.. Cavs may also be part of the Oso strategy, they are personally close.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-29-2022 at 05:27 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be a big supporter of Cavallini and Adekugbe starting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Would be a big supporter of Cavallini and Adekugbe starting.
    This is where I am at. Score these two, a free agent or two from the MLS market, and wait until July for that final DP piece in midfield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry there's no way we should be giving osorio max TAM with his injury history.

that would hinder us badly.

he's only been fit to start 39/ 68 games in the past 2 season, and it's likely going to get worse as he gets older (already 30).

as for laryea, he'll very likely be signed permanently. but if not done before the season starts, we should terminate the loan. can't be relying on a player we'll be losing in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    sorry there's no way we should be giving osorio max TAM with his injury history.

that would hinder us badly.

he's only been fit to start 39/ 68 games in the past 2 season, and it's likely going to get worse as he gets older (already 30).

as for laryea, he'll very likely be signed permanently. but if not done before the season starts, we should terminate the loan. can't be relying on a player we'll be losing in the summer.
    Taking a hard line there Leeds!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Taking a hard line there Leeds!
    we've seen in the past how much giving a big contract to injury prone club legends can hurt you!

if we had an osorio style player who was fit for 28+ games last year we likely would have made the playoffs (we had a winning record with him in the team).

giving him an extra 600K a year would be suicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least, unlikely with Jozy, the opportunity cost with TAM $ is alot lower than a big DP contract so I'm kind of on the fence on this myself and it wouldn't be nearly as disastrous even if it does backfire. Heart says having him play his whole career here would be special, head agrees this isn't the absolute best use of that cap space given injuries. I think it's a middling use of the space, we could do better, but we could do worse (We arguably already are with Bradley) so it's not a slam dunk that we could get an immediately better return it really all comes down to how likely we believe he is to have recurring injury problems going forward.

Long winded way of saying if he leaves I understand, but if he stays on a high TAM deal my heart would rule my head and not be all that upset even though it likely isn't the absolute best use of those resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Oso, it would all depend on the term length. I think almost everyone was pleased when we signed Bradley to a TAM deal, but now in the later years of the term, it's getting to be a cap-eating contract. Oso at max TAM, I'd be in favour of, but how many years will he want. It'd probably be okay for years 1 and 2, but would years 3,4,5 become an issue in the future is the question