Thread: Leagues Cup

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very intruiged...
    All the more reason TFC needs to overhaul the roster in order to compete, but I want a CCL championships!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My initial reaction is that I really can't decide if I love this or hate it. On the surface it seems ludicrous, but then, it could be awesome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wording says Top 15 teams MLS teams will get home games.

We will only get home games against LigaMx teams we face.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week, the MLS and LIGA MX, with the support of Concacaf, announced competition details for the highly-anticipated Leagues Cup 2023.

Beginning in 2023, the two leagues will pause their seasons each summer for an annual month-long competition for all 47 clubs in a World Cup-style tournament. The champion, second and third place finishers will qualify for the Concacaf Champions League and an opportunity to earn a spot in the FIFA Club World Cup. In this new chapter for North American Soccer, the inaugural Leagues Cup will consist of 77 total matches.

As a Toronto FC Member, you will a receive a minimum of one (1) Leagues Cup match as part of your 20-game Membership package. For any additional home matches played in this tournament, you will also receive priority access to your Membership seats.

Competition begins July 21, 2023

Final takes place August 19, 2023

Matches played in the U.S. and Canada

Guaranteed to host at least one home match at BMO Field

Leagues Cup 2023 is part of the evolution of the successful partnership between MLS and LIGA MX that launched in 2018. The partnership is rooted in on-field rivalry but connected by a true spirit of collaboration off the field, with a focus on sharing best practices, growing the beautiful game in North America, and being a force for positive change in the communities of both leagues.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the home MLS games in the summer as I am sure most do. The league taking a break during our best weather part of the season kind of sucks. I guess I will wait and see what happens with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And only one game included the rest would be additional on top of the increased season price. As the world enters a recession lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    And only one game included the rest would be additional on top of the increased season price. As the world enters a recession lol
    At least one home game. I'd think that at the beginning of the season, we'd know that there was a ticket for the first Leagues Cup group match, and the first Voyageurs Cup match, and the third ticket would either go to the first Champions League game, or whichever tournament we have a second home game in.

Perhaps I'm one of the few looking forward to this. Mind you, I almost always miss about 2 weeks, of this 4-week period with family travel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it.

International soccer is what soccer is all about.

This has been coming and it won’t stop here. There will be a kind of merger someday between Liga MX and MLS. Mexican soccer is way bigger in the US than MLS soccer.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    At least one home game. I'd think that at the beginning of the season, we'd know that there was a ticket for the first Leagues Cup group match, and the first Voyageurs Cup match, and the third ticket would either go to the first Champions League game, or whichever tournament we have a second home game in.

Perhaps I'm one of the few looking forward to this. Mind you, I almost always miss about 2 weeks, of this 4-week period with family travel.
    It is all building the hype for 2026, get a tournament in the middle of the summer. World Cups should not be in November. Have the players who may be nationals by then understand what the break and competitiveness needs to be at. It may not work but getting the leagues connected more closely is not a bad thing, but we shall see.