Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is BMO Field Among The Better Stadiums? Thinking Not! How Do You Rank Us? Why?

I suspect there are a host of criteria to consider.
    Both subjective and objective.
    Their totality.
    Structure, design, atmosphere, supporters, ticket cost, etc.

For the sake of this discussion topic...

This site, in two parts, ranks us 16th.
    I am not so sure I would even rank us that high.

https://13thmansports.ca/2022/08/10/...adiums-part-1/

https://13thmansports.ca/2022/08/12/...adiums-part-2/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard for most of us to judge because most havn't travelled to other MLS stadiums.

That ranking is based on how a stadium looks when its empty.

We have a true downtown stadium with views of the Lake & the city.

Its quirkiness, bound to get even more quirky by 2026, is part of its charm.

Its not fully enclosed, which bugs a lot of people it seems but also creates a sense of people moving about - there is a palpable "I'm in but not in a concourse feel to much of the ground, including the West side & the top East concourse.

When packed, the stands sway & bounce & the roar is quite load.

Are there issues?

Yes - the West side is getting old - the concrete needs replacing and the bathrooms are dark.

The Argos field length means no decent North stand...yet.

Safe standing, often discussed but yet to be implemented, would enhance the South.

BUT....a stadium ultimately is about the memories. Which is why really ranking them is not all that important for anybody but a visitor / architect.

The rain

The losses

The weirdness

The friends

The "Did that really happen?" moments

The trophies

The high

The lows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It pales in comparison to the new MLS stadiums like the ones in Nashville and Cincinnati. First of all they need to evict the Argos. Let them play at some high school field, which is where they belong. Then they need to build permanent stands in the north end to enclose the stadium so it at least like a proper football ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hard for most of us to judge because most havn't travelled to other MLS stadiums.

Its not fully enclosed, which bugs a lot of people it seems but also creates a sense of people moving about - there is a palpable "I'm in but not in a concourse feel to much of the ground, including the West side & the top East concourse.

Are there issues?

Yes - the West side is getting old - the concrete needs replacing and the bathrooms are dark.

Safe standing, often discussed but yet to be implemented, would enhance the South.

BUT....a stadium ultimately is about the memories. Which is why really ranking them is not all that important for anybody but a visitor / architect.

The rain

The losses

The weirdness

The friends

The trophies

The high

The lows
    Encompassing thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tear it down and start all over but we know that will never happen , moreover , what a waisted opportunity to make this stadium one of the better ones in the MLS with the World Cup coming and only putting in temporary stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a more a set of bleachers than an actual proper stadium, but when it's rockin' it's awesome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meccano set stadium. But I guess it doesn’t really matter. I don’t get fussed about it.

I have never been able to shake the impression I got at the first game, when all these metal screws and the like were falling in the concourses.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Are there issues?

The rain

The losses

The weirdness

The friends

The trophies

The high

The lows
    Hard to disagree with this. I think you nailed it.

I'd say, the facilities may not be the greatest but the atmosphere is up there.

But, I wouldn't take too much stock into the list. BC Place doesn't hold a candle to BMO. Not even in the league.
    Last edited by SilverSamurai; 09-25-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think it looks great when you look at if off the Gardiner. I do wish they would do something on the west side to make it more comparable to the new east. Raise it to the roofline. And a proper north stand would really fill it out. They've done multiple renovations at Anfield while keeping the stadium open. I wish we'd do something like that for the World Cup reno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that it's a frankenstadium, that makes it stand out vs the cookie cutter stadiums elsewhere. With the exceptions of the north stand not existing and the weird floating roofs (including the weirder roof over a roof, but maybe this will somehow become iconic given enough time...)

My main disappointment is in the constant teasing of, but not implementing of, safe standing (We're miles behind other teams on that) and that the world cup expansion is so disappointing looking. I was really hoping that would give us something permanent going forward and instead 1) looks awful, like very likely worst stadium at that world cup awful and 2) seems to be completely temporary

But overall it could be worse. The main thing is to be easily accessible and surrounded by good amenities for before and after the match and we're 2 for 2 there. Just give us safe standing already for fuck sake.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could nit pick and I think they had a lot more potential that was never realized with the big renovation that happened all those years ago...but in the end I am just happy we have it at all and we have a team to cheer for locally in a pro league. The fact that it is a grass field is nice especially when watching soccer being played on some of the other crappy fields out there in MLS. I can't really complain....unless we are talking about food and drink prices....then I am ready to complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part, I like the mechano/Frankensteinness to it as it reminds me of the post Hillsborough report English stadiums where you'd have a mix of old and new stands.

Something really needs to be done with the North though. There has to be a better solution than racecar seats and a standing area.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I actually think it looks great when you look at if off the Gardiner. I do wish they would do something on the west side to make it more comparable to the new east. Raise it to the roofline. And a proper north stand would really fill it out. They've done multiple renovations at Anfield while keeping the stadium open. I wish we'd do something like that for the World Cup reno.
    In 10 years I bet they redo the West to mimic the height of the East. But it'll be more private boxes and executive suites to fill out the space.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still really like the place even though it has many issues, as mentioned above.

Don't they have to massively expand the media area for the World Cup?

One thing I don't get: the repeated call to make it fully enclosed. I think that would be brutal during our hot & humid summers, and they're gonna get worse on average. I'm happy for the openness and any breezes we get.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's paradise compared to Montreal's Stade Saputo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's paradise compared to Montreal's Stade Saputo.
    The cheese factory is nothing more than jacked up university field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    For the most part, I like the mechano/Frankensteinness to it as it reminds me of the post Hillsborough report English stadiums where you'd have a mix of old and new stands.

Something really needs to be done with the North though. There has to be a better solution than racecar seats and a standing area.
    As long as the pointy ball team shares BMO I cannot see the north end getting a proper make over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    As long as the pointy ball team shares BMO I cannot see the north end getting a proper make over
    I know we like to blame them for everything but it we can sustain a south end with them there using some simple retractable seats then there's absolutely no reason we can't have a North stand with them there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I know we like to blame them for everything but it we can sustain a south end with them there using some simple retractable seats then there's absolutely no reason we can't have a North stand with them there
    A proper north stand would be nice, but for me the biggest issue is the pitch. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they put in the hybrid to see if could withstand both soccer and football, but I think it's pretty obvious now that it can't. Some games this season it has looked atrocious.

I'm not anti-Argos or anti-CFL as some of you are, but I think it's crystal clear now they cannot stay at BMO. They CANNOT. Some new stadium arrangement for them has to be found.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    A proper north stand would be nice, but for me the biggest issue is the pitch. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they put in the hybrid to see if could withstand both soccer and football, but I think it's pretty obvious now that it can't. Some games this season it has looked atrocious.

I'm not anti-Argos or anti-CFL as some of you are, but I think it's crystal clear now they cannot stay at BMO. They CANNOT. Some new stadium arrangement for them has to be found.
    I am anti both. Agree with your comments regarding the pitch. The only value the Argos have is to TSN as a tv product as TSN has CFL rights. They can't and never will be able to fill a 30,000 seat stadium. I don't understand why they don't play in Lamport stadium which has approx 10,000 seats.

Long term this problem solves itself given Canada's shifting demographics. I doubt that 25 years from now either the CFL and the Argos are even around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I am anti both. Agree with your comments regarding the pitch. The only value the Argos have is to TSN as a tv product as TSN has CFL rights. They can't and never will be able to fill a 30,000 seat stadium. I don't understand why they don't play in Lamport stadium which has approx 10,000 seats.

Long term this problem solves itself given Canada's shifting demographics. I doubt that 25 years from now either the CFL and the Argos are even around.
    I would love to see them share a stadium with rugby. That could make financial sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos seriously considered setting up shop at Lamport in 2001.

Argos to lease Lamport Stadium: report
    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.271677

Argos, U of T look at Lamport
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/...ticle25448094/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were also looking at building at York University
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/argos-moving-to-york-university-1.506671

Not suggesting the complete build but the York Lions stadium would work for their attendance levels and is probably a better location from their demographic fans as it's an easier drive...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...