Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire the Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    These guys both strike me as hard working and brutally objective. Good things. I don’t think they are trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes but it could be self awareness is not their forte.

The press conference earlier this year when Bob absolved Michael of coughing up a ball leading to a goal was telling. MB looked very at fault in that replay. But more importantly, answering that question was a political landmine. The right answer was to put MB to the sword regardless of the objective outcome of the play.

One, because he’s the captain and is held to a higher standard. Two, because if you don’t make it abundantly clearly your kid plays by same rules everyone else does you lose the room. And sometimes that means he’s got to be judged to a harsher standard than others.
    That one was baaaaaaad. He didn't just not put him to the sword, he publicly blamed another player who was 0% at fault. That was day one in me seriously questioning what was going on there, and to your point, if I'm in the dressing room that is not going unnoticed

He didn't even have to put him to the sword, just give a generic 'He knows he can do better, blah blah blah'. Almost anything other than "It was Pozuelos fault". We could all see the same replay, that had angry parent at a parent teacher meeting "My son couldn't possibly have gotten these grades" energy and that's not a good look

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MB is the one who has to be fired. He has to be out of the room. Now. The obvious is MB goes upstairs, but other scenarios are possible. If he wants to play, it has to be elsewhere.

Somebody needs to step in if Bob won't... if Bob won't do it, then they both go.

Any neutral would laugh at the absurdity of having this setup, regardless of the people involved.

Bob lost the ability to have sole control over this by having the team perform so poorly. That's how life works.
    i totally agree...the dressing room must be a mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping Pozuelo(former league MVP) off for a bag of balls has to be one of the worst transfers in this clubs history.

Yes I know he was unsettled, I am critiquing the return in value. That deal has the whole Mo Johnston level bad stink to it.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-20-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i genuinely am not worried.

if oso had played 30 games this year and westberg had stayed fit we'd probably be in the playoffs now, despite everything (we have only 1 win with oso out of the lineup out of 10+ games).

we played 3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-4-3, plus a bunch of different variations to accommodate pozuelo. we also moved insigne inside a couple times with oso out in order to have ball progression in the middle.

his tactical inflexibility is a myth, or at very least wildly overstated.

with bernardeschi and insigne on the team, we need to be doing everything we can to get the current squad reps in a 4-3-3, as its the best formation by far for a team with elite wide players.

of course, to be successful you need CBs who can defend space, and neither of our forwards can play in a 4-3-3 successfully.

there can be lots of questions in the future if:

a) we don't bring in a top MLS gk, 2 new CBs who can cover open space, a DP striker, 1-3 Cms (depending on oso situation)
    b) we do most of the above and are not challenging at the top.

if next year we are competing for a playoff spot or out of the picture, there will be a huge shakeup.

however, i don't think that transfer window is unrealistic for a winter, especially with all of the great free agents available.

and i also can't see us outside the top 3 of a weak east if we have a half decent window and address our inadequacies.
    I’m not overly worried. Bradley should be able to sort it all out to his liking. But “his tactical inflexibility is a myth, or at very least wildly overstated.” Not sure about that. Very few of his early adaptations helped significantly and his attempts to find a place for Pozuelo were half-assed and not likely to bear real fruit. He didn’t have the flexibility to use him well and Bradleys attempts were either not entirely serious or verging on incompetence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of the posts above are interesting looking back on it. Bradley throws Poz under the bus on that play where it was MB's fault. Then he is gone a few months later. I guess it would be hard to know, but maybe Bradley never liked Poz at all, playing him in all these different positions to find where he is best suited for the team. If he (as he stated) has watched every game over the last few years for TFC, he should know exactly where Poz fits in and his best position. Bob "tries" him out in different areas to then finally take the blame off himself when he trades him away for nothing and says look he just wasn't a fit for this system.

On the other side I totally understand if Poz is unhappy and want's to leave or be with his new girlfriend. He might have done that at the end of the season anyways. Maybe he started realizing he wasn't happy playing with all these kids, maybe it was being put out of position..could have been that Bradley publicly outed him and threw him under the bus for something that wasn't his fault and was actually his son's. Seems strange but I can understand why he would want out at that point. However, a few games with some high quality players that were coming in for sure might have changed his mind? Maybe they see just how good they all work together and up his contract for another 1+1? I know he wasn't outstanding numbers the last two years or so? still one of the best passers in the league and ball sticks to his foot like glue.

I guess i'm a little bitter at the whole Poz thing still. I was really looking forward to having him and all the new players coming in at least get a few games together. Anyways I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at formations and just exactly how difficult it would be to switch and practice each one. But with your MVP that plays best as a 10 and in the middle of the park would you not run a formation to compliment him for the first half of the season. Then when the Italians come in switch to the 4-3-3. Either way you have kids out there learning and at some point you are going to want to have two formations you can comfortably run don't you? ugh it's all just so frustrating to watch..Most of this is moot anyways since it's already happened and can't change that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i totally agree...the dressing room must be a mess
    Jozy Altidore in the Athletic today. I wonder who he's talking about:

Altidore said his remarks to Armas at the time stemmed from “certain individuals who were treating young players in the wrong way,” and understood that confronting said individuals would carry its own repercussions.

“I had to say something. At the end of the day I don’t regret it,” he says. “We did so many special things together, but there comes a point in this game and in anything in life, when you’re young you kind of have to just eat it. But sometimes when you see something that’s not right for the young players and it’s not fair, you’re at that point when you have to do it. And if you don’t do it, what example do you set for them? I understand that you have to pay your dues, but wrong is wrong.”

Altidore didn’t elaborate when asked whether said individuals were part of Armas’ staff or first-team players.
    “I don’t want to mess with anyone like that,” he said. “I love Toronto. It’s my heart of a club. S— happens, that’s all you can say. And I’ll just leave it there.”

Coupled with Poz's comments after getting to Miami about the dressing room not being good, I do wonder what the hell's going on exactly.

I also wonder if it connects in any way with this year's edition of "play the kids."
    Last edited by jloome; 09-21-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Altidore said his remarks to Armas at the time stemmed from “certain individuals who were treating young players in the wrong way,” and understood that confronting said individuals would carry its own repercussions.

“I had to say something. At the end of the day I don’t regret it,” he says. “We did so many special things together, but there comes a point in this game and in anything in life, when you’re young you kind of have to just eat it. But sometimes when you see something that’s not right for the young players and it’s not fair, you’re at that point when you have to do it. And if you don’t do it, what example do you set for them? I understand that you have to pay your dues, but wrong is wrong.”

Altidore didn’t elaborate when asked whether said individuals were part of Armas’ staff or first-team players.
    “I don’t want to mess with anyone like that,” he said. “I love Toronto. It’s my heart of a club. S— happens, that’s all you can say. And I’ll just leave it there.”

Coupled with Poz's comments after getting to Miami about the dressing room not being good, I do wonder what the hell's going on exactly.

I also wonder if it connects in any way with this year's edition of "play the kids."
    Wow that's cryptic. Wonder what that means?

Given Jozy's fallout last year was with the coach, I have to think it was at the coaching staff level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Wow that's cryptic. Wonder what that means?
    Yeah I have my bulletin board with string on it trying to figure that one out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, the obvious call is Ali Curtis, because Manning had his back without question.

Could've meant MB, but they go back a long way, so I'd hope not. Plus, not sure as just the captain he had the influence, prior to BB's arrival, that would engender that description of "confronting said individuals would carry its own repercussions."

I don't know. Could've also been Soteldo, who showed repeated impatience with Achara and Shaff despite his own poor play. There seemed to be some sort of Spanish-language clique business going on, with the TFC II players involved.

But the gravitas he's stressing makes it sound like Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, the obvious call is Ali Curtis, because Manning had his back without question.

Could've meant MB, but they go back a long way, so I'd hope not. Plus, not sure as just the captain he had the influence, prior to BB's arrival, that would engender that description of "confronting said individuals would carry its own repercussions."

I don't know. Could've also been Soteldo, who showed repeated impatience with Achara and Shaff despite his own poor play. There seemed to be some sort of Spanish-language clique business going on, with the TFC II players involved.

Can't see it being MB. Him and Jozy go back a long way and honestly MB does not at all seem like any type to ream out kids. He's very level headed and a professional on and off the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Bob’s comments throwing the kids under the bus, specifically regarding their professionalism, I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is a Bradley and co issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have also said Soteldo, but for the “repercussions” bit.

That part suggests that the individuals in question were operating with some sort of special treatment.

There is no one more above reproach than Michael Bradley and the coaching staff last year was a bunch of nobodies.

There is a suggestion that whoever it was had more protection than Armas because he at least had it out with Armas while he felt he couldn’t with the others.

Poz’s comments make it seem that the individuals, or at least one individual, is still at the club.

Bob Bradley throwing kids under the bus perpetuates this.

Let’s not take too seriously what the kids are saying btw, what would you have said if your senior was treating you poorly when you were a year into your career?
    Last edited by portu; 09-21-2022 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does everyone remember how in that first game last year MB was benched and the team seemed happier and more energetic?

To those that follow Manchester United I'm getting a Maguiresque feeling about this whole situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I would have also said Soteldo, but for the “repercussions” bit.

That part suggests that the individuals in question were operating with some sort of special treatment.

There is no one more above reproach than Michael Bradley and the coaching staff last year was a bunch of nobodies.

There is a suggestion that whoever it was had more protection than Armas because he at least had it out with Armas while he felt he couldn’t with the others.

Poz’s comments make it seem that the individuals, or at least one individual, is still at the club.

Bob Bradley throwing kids under the bus perpetuates this.

Let’s not take too seriously what the kids are saying btw, what would you have said if your senior was treating you poorly when you were a year into your career?
    Jozy had a fallout with Curtis last year. We know that for sure. I wouldn't look past that. Curtis didn't become dead-man-walking until after Armas was fired at which point the reconciliation with Jozy and getting him back in the lineup happened.
    Last edited by Canary10; 09-21-2022 at 03:53 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    After Bob’s comments throwing the kids under the bus, specifically regarding their professionalism, I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is a Bradley and co issue.
    Please, go watch the video of what was actually said - Do not rely upon the press reports

I'm not sold on MB being a decent captain for this team moving forward & I would not be surprised if MB was treating the kids poorly

But that video needs to be seen before people pass judgement on what occurred during that presser.

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/train...tember-15-2022
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-21-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a feeling Jozy's comments might have something to do with MB, but Javier Perez seems to be handling things well on his end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering if the person receiving the Special Treatment is Jon Conway? I don't know how he can have possibly survived since 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Please, go watch the video of what was actually said - Do not rely upon the press reports

I'm not sold on MB being a decent captain for this team moving forward & I would not be surprised if MB was treating the kids poorly

But that video needs to be seen before people pass judgement on what occurred during that presser.

Okay, you've said this twice Og, and I just watched it having read it.

He throws them under the bus. The fact that he's always genial or calm can make things he says softer than what they really are.

He says Mark Anthony Kaye was coachable and immediate follows it up with, some of these guys, it wasn't the case.

That's about as throwing them under the bus as you can get. The fact that he soft pedals it doesn't make it any less so.

He was asked if they would benefit next year from this year, and decided to spend three minutes talking about how they didn't learn as much as he'd have liked.

This is not a public discussion. I don't care how nicely you think it's being stated. If I'm one of the kids who fought all year -- or thinks I did -- and was thrown into game situations week after week, I don't think "they didn't learn as much as I'd like" is a very helpful message.

"You can do better" generally works best from a decent starting point, as in "yeah, you're scoring goals, but you can do better." Not "I gave them a chance and they sort of disappointed me."

He does at least qualify it by saying rough stretches can be overcome, but again, these seem like private discussions, not things you should be airing at a presser.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-22-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in your thoughts on his comments in this post-game interview, around the 3:15 mark. He's asked what questions he's asking himself.

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/train...tember-17-2022

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn’t theperson Jozy had a problem with have to be Soteldo? Or at least isn’t that the obvious way to bet it? I mean, nobody has left a trail of destruction in locker rooms in world football the last two years like this guy.

Easy for me to imagine Soteldo being a locker room dick, right in front of Armas, Jozy trying to police it, and Armas siding with Soteldo, because Armas wasn’t going to take on the glaring mistake Curtis made here.

My theory anyway.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn’t theperson Jozy had a problem with have to be Soteldo? Or at least isn’t that the obvious way to bet it? I mean, nobody has left a trail of destruction in locker rooms in world football the last two years like this guy.

Easy for me to imagine Soteldo being a locker room dick, right in front of Armas, Jozy trying to police it, and Armas siding with Soteldo, because Armas wasn’t going to take on the glaring mistake Curtis made here.

My theory anyway.
    He’s one of the options, for sure. He was openly hostile to Shaff in one game even though he was at fault.

The blowup with Armas was over him subbing in Ayo to replace Jozy. He thought Ayo was going to get overwhelmed and suggested they needed two strikers. unfortunately, he did so by calling Armas “idiot.”

I did note that when asked about the locker room Criscito said there were two camps, old guys and young guys. It felt like there was a voice absent in terms of getting those two camps interacting more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does at least qualify it by saying rough stretches can be overcome, but again, these seem like private discussions, not things you should be airing at a presser.

Fair enough...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be interested in your thoughts on his comments in this post-game interview, around the 3:15 mark. He's asked what questions he's asking himself.

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/train...tember-17-2022
    I watched the whole thing.

The 3:15 mark you mention is a bit strange. You’d like to hear some sense of personal responsibility there given the nature of the question. Didn’t hear it.

He’s also oddly defensive / evasive when asked a softball question about Oso. What was that all about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I usually watch the manager’s post game video interview before I read anything (it must be difficult to be a sports journalist - your readers have access to your material even before your story is written).

Sounded right off like under the bus. I’m sure it’s true, he is disappointed… but he didn’t put them in a situation in which they were likely to succeed. That’s just basic knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He throws them under the bus. The fact that he's always genial or calm can make things he says softer than what they really are.

He says Mark Anthony Kaye was coachable and immediate follows it up with, some of these guys, it wasn't the case.

That's about as throwing them under the bus as you can get. The fact that he soft pedals it doesn't make it any less so.

He was asked if they would benefit next year from this year, and decided to spend three minutes talking about how they didn't learn as much as he'd have liked.

This is not a public discussion. I don't care how nicely you think it's being stated. If I'm one of the kids who fought all year -- or thinks I did -- and was thrown into game situations week after week, I don't think "they didn't learn as much as I'd like" is a very helpful message.

"You can do better" generally works best from a decent starting point, as in "yeah, you're scoring goals, but you can do better." Not "I gave them a chance and they sort of disappointed me."

Brilliantly stated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My theory anyway.
    This is possible. But Armas and/or Curtis put him out to pasture for doing it. And he wasn't invited back until Armas was fired and Curtis was persona non grata. So at least part of his beef is with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think intent has to be looked at too. From my listening of it, I don't think he's intending to to send them a message. I think he is quite literally having an discussion with himself/the interviewer and thinking about it as he goes along. Which may not be good, but he's not shooting bullets at the kids.

There are top level managers who will single out individual players and seriously go at them - like Deli Ali's career is where it is because of that. So it's not unusual in soccer, even at the highest level. I don't see this as being that egregious. He's the one that actually played the kids and gave them a chance. That wasn't happening last year with Dominic Dwyer and vaccine denier in the lineup.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I watched the whole thing.

The 3:15 mark you mention is a bit strange. You’d like to hear some sense of personal responsibility there given the nature of the question. Didn’t hear it.

I don't see the problem with what he said. He's 100% correct.

We don't have enough guys who you can rely on to give you a consistent performance - not just game to game, but minute to minute. The mistakes our players are making are not due to the system being played, it's due to brain farts and simple errors. Stupid decisions that lead to very bad turn overs that put us in very compromising positions. Maybe that happens 1-2 times a game. But with us it's happening almost every time certain players are around the ball.

The system isn't the problem right now. It's the players. The lack of first team quality and the lack of depth. What questions does he need to ask of himself?

If you want to ask him why he doesn't change the entire system to accomodate his worst players, then ask him that.

Ask him why he doesn’t put his best players, the guys who can actually win you games in this system, in a system that doesn't allow them to shine

• Ask him why he doesn't play a flat back 4 where Richie and Mimmo can't move forward because there is a 90% change the kids will turn the ball over and will need to be bailed out.
    • Ask him why he doesn't move Insigne to the middle of the pitch, somewhere he's never really played, to feed through balls to Ayo who may or may not be onside for those balls
    • Ask him why we didn't keep Pozuelo who can do exactly what I mentioned above, but then encroaches on the spaces Berna and Insigne play or just bypasses those guys altogether.
    • ask him why he doesn't play a more narrow system with 8 guys behind the ball so that no one can take a shot on Bono

This is what people are asking when they say he needs to be more flexible with his system. Why cater to guys who probably won't be a factor next season? This season gave everyone on that roster an opportunity to learn how to play the TFC style that will be on display for at least the next 3-4 years. If they can't do it, then we go find someone else ASAP.

And if you're asking why he didn't get. more guys in this year - You don't get good MLS players in the June window. The off seasons is when you can get legitimate MLS level talent without having to trade away big assets + cash.

Why change our style of play in order to have some of these guys succeed in some other random system? then what? how do you know who to get rid of/replace to actually play the style you want?

If Ayo score 10 goals this year with the ball only being played through the middle and Bernie and Insigne being left on the wings to rot with minimal chances on target, what do you do next year? continue to have them rot so that Ayo can score 10 goals?
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-23-2022 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I don't see the problem with what he said. He's 100% correct.

We don't have enough guys who you can rely on to give you a consistent performance - not just game to game, but minute to minute. The mistakes our players are making are not due to the system being played, it's due to brain farts and simple errors. Stupid decisions that lead to very bad turn overs that put us in very compromising positions. Maybe that happens 1-2 times a game. But with us it's happening almost every time certain players are around the ball.

The system isn't the problem right now. It's the players. The lack of first team quality and the lack of depth. What questions does he need to ask of himself?

If you want to ask him why he doesn't change the entire system to accomodate his worst players, then ask him that.

Ask him why he doesn’t put his best players, the guys who can actually win you games in this system, in a system that doesn't allow them to shine

• Ask him why he doesn't play a flat back 4 where Richie and Mimmo can't move forward because there is a 90% change the kids will turn the ball over and will need to be bailed out.
    • Ask him why he doesn't move Insigne to the middle of the pitch, somewhere he's never really played, to feed through balls to Ayo who may or may not be onside for those balls
    • Ask him why we didn't keep Pozuelo who can do exactly what I mentioned above, but then encroaches on the spaces Berna and Insigne play or just bypasses those guys altogether.
    • ask him why he doesn't play a more narrow system with 8 guys behind the ball so that no one can take a shot on Bono

This is what people are asking when they say he needs to be more flexible with his system. Why cater to guys who probably won't be a factor next season? This season gave everyone on that roster an opportunity to learn how to play the TFC style that will be on display for at least the next 3-4 years. If they can't do it, then we go find someone else ASAP.

And if you're asking why he didn't get. more guys in this year - You don't get good MLS players in the June window. The off seasons is when you can get legitimate MLS level talent without having to trade away big assets + cash.

Why change our style of play in order to have some of these guys succeed in some other random system? then what? how do you know who to get rid of/replace to actually play the style you want?

If Ayo score 10 goals this year with the ball only being played through the middle and Bernie and Insigne being left on the wings to rot with minimal chances on target, what do you do next year? continue to have them rot so that Ayo can score 10 goals?
    Great post! It’s difficult to take everything into context to critique a situation that has so many seen and unseen nuances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very simply put: a poor craftsman blames his tools. Bob’s had some time to make changes to the roster. His additions have not helped the team. The players we have disposed of have greatly helped other teams.

Professional Players are tactically flexible. The idea we have or stick to one system or that ruins our future prospects is dogma.