Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Jeeez, are you suggesting all MLS TAM footballers must be MNT players?
    Polish League is not pitiful; although I realize it's usually ranked below MLS.
    IMHO, lots of quality and value to be discovered or had in such 'Eastern' European Leagues.

BTW, does anyone of the community know if 'OPTIONAL' TAM is still in effect and how much more it is in addition to a teams 'REG' TAM budget allocation?
    I have watched enough of this player to conclude that he plays lazy , I will take Ayo who lacks a little on the technical side but always puts in an honest shift, I am sure the benching of Jimenez a few games back was due to his work ethic.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, lots of quality and value to be discovered or had in such 'Eastern' European Leagues.
    It varies greatly depending on the country. In my heritage (Hungarian) the league fell on hard times but has more recently emerged again solvent but as a lower level league. I wouldn't place it much above USL. Some other countries are much better.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-07-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeeez, are you suggesting all MLS TAM footballers must be MNT players?
    Polish League is not pitiful; although I realize it's usually ranked below MLS.

BTW, does anyone of the community know if 'OPTIONAL' TAM is still in effect and how much more it is in addition to a teams 'REG' TAM budget allocation?
    Adam Buksa played in the same "pitiful" Polish league. Just incredibly short-sighted to ignore smaller countries' leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    So says you, Jesus never played at any level in Spains national teams, best team he played at was in a pitiful Polish league, we should certainly have higher ambitions then this type of player
    Buksa had 0.48 goals/90 in his last two seasons in Poland. Jimenez had 0.43/90. At the time Buksa hadn't played for the main MNT (but had played for the youth teams - Poland doesn't have the same depth as Spain though). Buksa came over and scored 0.59 goals/90. Jimenez is on 0.38/90 - so not great, but one goal away from his goal scoring rate in Poland. Jimenez had a game a month or so ago where he had two goals (I think) called back for questionable onside calls. If those two goals stood, he's on 0.47 goals/90 which would be top 30 in the league (among qualified players) and a similar rate to Josef Martinez.

Has he been a bit of a let down since the Italians arrived? For sure. But he's not a total bust over the course of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Buksa had 0.48 goals/90 in his last two seasons in Poland. Jimenez had 0.43/90. At the time Buksa hadn't played for the main MNT (but had played for the youth teams - Poland doesn't have the same depth as Spain though). Buksa came over and scored 0.59 goals/90. Jimenez is on 0.38/90 - so not great, but one goal away from his goal scoring rate in Poland. Jimenez had a game a month or so ago where he had two goals (I think) called back for questionable onside calls. If those two goals stood, he's on 0.47 goals/90 which would be top 30 in the league (among qualified players) and a similar rate to Josef Martinez.

Has he been a bit of a let down since the Italians arrived? For sure. But he's not a total bust over the course of the season.
    Part of the issue is that Jimenez is right: his role has changed, despite what Bob said. He was a mobile striker who liked to drift in from the left and, as part of transitional movement, beat the backline with late runs.

Now they want him to be a static fox in the box who finds spaces and receives passes and crosses.... only he's never done that before, so he's understandably nervous, and no one's feeding him the ball other than Ichara.

So I understand his position completely. I'm troubled that Bob didn't at least acknowledge they've put him in it. But perhaps what he was trying to convey was that they have confidence he'll adapt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Part of the issue is that Jimenez is right: his role has changed, despite what Bob said. He was a mobile striker who liked to drift in from the left and, as part of transitional movement, beat the backline with late runs.

Now they want him to be a static fox in the box who finds spaces and receives passes and crosses.... only he's never done that before, so he's understandably nervous, and no one's feeding him the ball other than Ichara.

So I understand his position completely. I'm troubled that Bob didn't at least acknowledge they've put him in it. But perhaps what he was trying to convey was that they have confidence he'll adapt.
    Agreed 110%. Jesus may not be the right fit for the club going forward, but I don't think he's a bad player or was a bad signing at the time. I don't think the team was expecting to sign Berna and when it became a reality for them, the strategy changes a bit and I don't know if Jesus is the right long term fit for Insigne and Berna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It varies greatly depending on the country. In my heritage (Hungarian) the league fell on hard times but has more recently emerged again solvent but as a lower level league. I wouldn't place it much above USL. Some other countries are much better.
    Hungarian league has a few good teams...one in the Europa league I believe, Ferancvaros, who I think also been in the CL before. Some real talent in the region.

The issue is real good young talent is sold off right away as the clubs need cash. Speaking on Dinamo's behalf...the goal is to qualify for the Europa League and or Champions league and get the qualification money. Dinamo picked up 19 million euros for gettng there...peanuts for the "big" clubs, but huge for a club like that on a small budget. Also pick up 2.8 million euros for the win vs chelsea....

TFC needs to look more to Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Austria ,etc...some bargain buys there. Yes am a bit biased, but the technical ability is there and these guys are hungry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polish league has plenty of quality. It has no depth. Same as Scotland, Czechia, all secondary leagues in Europe.

I was looking at the Croatia MNT callups in Nations League (three guesses on why)…

….. there are more from their domestic league that you would think.

Suspect MLS is missing the boat on this- could we be doing more to get the guys just under the starlets that have a shot at Germany or Italy and their National team? That country right now is an absolute football factory…
    Last edited by ensco; 09-07-2022 at 06:05 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    TFC needs to look more to Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Austria ,etc...some bargain buys there. Yes am a bit biased, but the technical ability is there and these guys are hungry.
    Not totally an eastern European country, but one of Bradley's old assistants with Le Havre is now the manager of Volos in Greece. Wouldn't surprise me if Bradley gets a tip or two about potential players from Greece this off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimenez is a quality player who just doesn't fit with the new additions. It's a two factored approach for me - Fit and Feel.

Jimenez went from being the favourite target of the best player on the team who also happened to be his best friend on the team (Poz), to a secondary choice of players who have other preferred targets who are best friends with each other (Insigne and Bernadeschi). He went from being the focal point to a tertiary option.

In the beginning of the season, the primary option was get the ball to Poz who looked for Jesus. Now the primary options are Insigne to Bernie, Bernie to Insigne, Insigne by himself, or Bernie by himself. At the beginning I saw him make runs and then not get the ball. Jimenez probably is "being lazy" in words I saw him described as by others because he feels he won't get the ball, so he's not making the runs.

I'm not trying to knock the Italians. They are better players and rightfully deserve to be primary options, but it's hard to go from being a star to being a bit piece (that's also why I felt Nelson struggled so much, he went from being the star in the youth teams, to being a bit piece on the first team and its hard to adjust your play style when you're so used to something else).

Also, Pozuelo and Salcedo both left at around the same time, which is also around when Jimenez's struggles began. That personal connection is huge. Look at Poz and Soteldo, they didn't really mesh well last year and at the year end press conference Poz admitted he and Soteldo weren't really friends. That personal connection is huge for chemistry and he probably doesn't have it with the Italians.

I feel like the best thing for both parties is to move on after the season. He's a quality player, who just doesn't fit in with the current roster. You don't score 10 goals being a poor player. Moving on will best for both.
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-08-2022 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Polish league has plenty of quality. It has no depth. Same as Scotland, Czechia, all secondary leagues in Europe.

I was looking at the Croatia MNT callups in Nations League (three guesses on why)…

Suspect MLS is missing the boat on this- could we be doing more to get the guys just under the starlets that have a shot at Germany or Italy and their National team? That country right now is an absolute football factory…
    I would even take it a step further and say look at some of the smaller clubs in these leagues, as that is where you will find decent players on cheap salaries. A club like Dinamo Zagreb makes either the Europa or Champions League every year, which is a major revenue source. They also have one of the best academies in the region so they earn a lot from player transfers I.e. Modric, Kovacic, Lovren. However smaller clubs in the league don't have these revenue sources, and with avg league attendance of less than 5k per game many of them are so cash strapped they need to sell players just to survive.

Case in point is NK Osijek. Their starting keeper is Ivica (John) Ivusic, who is also a reserve keeper for Croatia. His contract expires in June 2025 and he is 27 years old. Given his age I don't think any team from the big 5 leagues will want him. Osijek is building a new stadium and badly needs money. I couldn't find his salary but it couldn't be more than a couple of hundred thousand Euros per season. If TFC were to offer a low six figure transfer fee this type of player might be available for less than what TFC pays Bono. Doesn't need to be him but there are lots of these types of players out there.

We are all used to watching EPL matches with large stadiums that are packed week in week out, with huge revenue from broadcast rights earned by these clubs. However east of the Austrian border the economics of football are very different with significantly lower attendance and negligible TV revenues. Clubs in these leagues just can't afford to pay big contracts.

We are all complaining about the goalkeeper coach being useless, but isn't our scouting even more useless? Other teams are finding value here. Look at the keepers for NER, Portland and Charlotte, all from this region, and all on decent contracts. This is another area TFC needs to address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for Stefan Mitrovic on that list and didnt' see him.. I hear he's been doing well with Red Star, and wonder who he will commit to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitrovic is Serbian, not Croatian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most definitely....and a note, of the dinamo guys on that list, they all played in the win vs Chelsea the other day. Doubt those guys would come but Petkovic would be a great target man...strong, technical ability as well...him and the Italians up front would be fire power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I would even take it a step further and say look at some of the smaller clubs in these leagues, as that is where you will find decent players on cheap salaries. A club like Dinamo Zagreb makes either the Europa or Champions League every year, which is a major revenue source. They also have one of the best academies in the region so they earn a lot from player transfers I.e. Modric, Kovacic, Lovren. However smaller clubs in the league don't have these revenue sources, and with avg league attendance of less than 5k per game many of them are so cash strapped they need to sell players just to survive.

Case in point is NK Osijek. Their starting keeper is Ivica (John) Ivusic, who is also a reserve keeper for Croatia. His contract expires in June 2025 and he is 27 years old. Given his age I don't think any team from the big 5 leagues will want him. Osijek is building a new stadium and badly needs money. I couldn't find his salary but it couldn't be more than a couple of hundred thousand Euros per season. If TFC were to offer a low six figure transfer fee this type of player might be available for less than what TFC pays Bono. Doesn't need to be him but there are lots of these types of players out there.

We are all used to watching EPL matches with large stadiums that are packed week in week out, with huge revenue from broadcast rights earned by these clubs. However east of the Austrian border the economics of football are very different with significantly lower attendance and negligible TV revenues. Clubs in these leagues just can't afford to pay big contracts.

We are all complaining about the goalkeeper coach being useless, but isn't our scouting even more useless? Other teams are finding value here. Look at the keepers for NER, Portland and Charlotte, all from this region, and all on decent contracts. This is another area TFC needs to address.
    Ivusic would be great and an ideal signing. As you said, he probably gets a few hundred thousand euros...that's less than half of what Bono is on. And hes a great shot stopper. The one away in Slovakia helped pave the way to WC qualification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Jimenez is a quality player who just doesn't fit with the new additions. It's a two factored approach for me - Fit and Feel.

Jimenez went from being the favourite target of the best player on the team who also happened to be his best friend on the team (Poz), to a secondary choice of players who have other preferred targets who are best friends with ea h other (Insigne and Bernadeschi). He went from being the focal point to a tertiary option.

In the beginning of the season, the primary option was get the ball to Poz who looked for Jesus. Now the primary options are Insigne to Bernie, Bernie to Insigne, Insigne by himself, or Bernie by himself. At the beginning I saw him make runs and then not get the ball. Jimenez probably is "being lazy" in words I saw him described as because he feels he won't get the ball, so he's not making the runs.

I'm not trying to knock the Italians. They are better players and rightfully deserve to be primary options, but it's hard to go from being a star to being a bit piece (that's also why I felt Nelson struggled so much, he went from being the star inthe youth teams, to being a bit piece on the first team and its hard to adjust your play style when you're so used to something else).

Also, Pozuelo and Salcedo both left at around the same time, which is also around when Jimenez's struggled began. That personal connection is huge. Look at Poz and Soteldo, they didn't really mesh great last year and at the year end press conference Poz admitted he and Soteldo weren't really friends. That personal connection is huge for chemistry and he probably doesn't have it with the Italians.

I feel like the best thing for bktb parties is to move on after the season. He's a quality player, who just doesn't fit in with the current roster. You don't score 10 goals being a poor player. Moving on will best for both.
    Well stated assessments and explanations of the situation with which I am in agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, of course, and yet at one time...
    To quote Josip Broz and applicable prior to the 90's...
    "I am the leader of one country which has two alphabets,
    three languages, four religions, five nationalities, six republics,
    surrounded by seven neighbours, a country in which live eight ethnic minorities.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I was looking for Stefan Mitrovic on that list and didnt' see him.. I hear he's been doing well with Red Star, and wonder who he will commit to.
    Yes, of course, and yet at one time...
    To quote Josip Broz and applicable prior to the 90's...
    "I am the leader of one country which has two alphabets,
    three languages, four religions, five nationalities, six republics,
    surrounded by seven neighbours, a country in which live eight ethnic minorities.”
    Let's have the discussion end here. An honest mistake was made and corrected, that's all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Com'on Guys! ( an ear-worm in Fede voice )
    Yes, it's the hope that kills you...
    Still, it's not over, til it's over.
    If you lower your expectations and things don't go well then it happened just as expected. If they do go well you are pleasantly surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Com'on Guys! ( an ear-worm in Fede voice )

Yes, it's the hope that kills you...
    Still, it's not over, til it's over.
    Cincinnati could only manage a draw last night so only gained a point on us or put more hopefully Cincinnati dropped 2 points yesterday with us breathing down their necks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    If you lower your expectations and things don't go well then it happened just as expected. If they do go well you are pleasantly surprised.

Cousin, cousin, I have tried to apply that philosophy to many situations throughout my life!

Also... 'success is falling nines times and getting up ten'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne could be out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga & Oso both out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen on social media it doesn't look like Insigne, Berna or Criscito are on the trip.

They have also shown Westbergs face a few times, so its very obvious he's starting in net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ay yai yai, boy oh boy!
    If most of the rumors of who is out or not up to par for this match are true...
    My hope has teetered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Oso.
    IIUC, he is now officially confirmed out with an 'upper body injury'?
    Could it be a concussion?
    Given BB's previous cryptic statements at pressers about the situation?
    IIRC, didn't Oso experience such during one of his more recent training sessions?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 09-10-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like tonight’s lineup is going to look something like:

Westberg
    MRutty-McNaughton-O’Neill-Layrea
    Kerr/Thompson-Bradley-Nelson
    Archara-Jimenez/Ayo-Petrasso?

It’s hard to make much of a guess at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Oso.
    IIUC, he is now officially confirmed out with an 'upper body injury'?
    Could it be a concussion?
    Given BB's previous cryptic statements at pressers about the situation?
    IIRC, didn't Oso experience such during one of his more recent training sessions?
    Isn't his brother Jeff still the communications director?

Perhaps they could do some actual communicating. You know, instead of continually looking like they're trying to hide shit.

Good grief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Looks like tonight’s lineup is going to look something like:

Westberg
    MRutty-McNaughton-O’Neill-Layrea
    Kerr/Thompson-Bradley-Nelson
    Archara-Jimenez/Ayo-Petrasso?

It’s hard to make much of a guess at this point.
    This one for the first time with Bob to me feels a bit like those head scratching line-up throw away match situations Vanney made every once and a while during his tenure.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 09-10-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't his brother Jeff still the communications director?

Perhaps they could do some actual communicating. You know, instead of continually looking like they're trying to hide shit.

Good grief.
    Believe so.
    Yes, they certainly could do better. All seems somewhat unnecessary.
    Gooollly.

We are of one mind on this.