Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Forrest and Jimmy Brennan ripping Bob today for leaving Bono in on the Footy Prime Podcast, both agree he's done. Craig raises his obvious depth perception issues.

Not too happy with Mavinga either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Craig Forrest and Jimmy Brennan ripping Bob today for leaving Bono in on the Footy Prime Podcast, both agree he's done. Craig raises his obvious depth perception issues.

Did they say anything about BB overall?

Mavinga's blunder was kind of similar in the leadup to the Miami first goal, where he had it first, and Higuan hounded him but then he at least got it out of bounds for a throw. Led to a goal but all he had to do in both cases was put it back to Bono, blast if forward, or put it in row 223....

Both mistakes then led to horrible goals...last night a slow roller through the legs on a bad angle...the Miami one from the throw in to whomever shot from 30 yards away and that depth perception issue again....

He also had the brutal out of bounds mistake and then caused the foul vs LA the other night...which then led to the almost in the middle of the net free kick goal and depth perception issue yet again....

Oh well, what can you do. We need a keeper and a CB that we can depend on. Have no clue if any are available in the league or do we need to go outside, but I have to imagine there are quality CBs out there in Europe at least and won't cost an arm and a leg to get. Mavinga, ONeil, McNaugton are not number 1 guys at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was Brendan Dunlop who mentioned the depth perception, not Forest. None of the four were at all complimentary about Bono. How could they be?

Forest answered a question about whether or not having a contract would be unsettling for a keeper. Neither of our guys have one, obviously.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 09-06-2022 at 03:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait a second...Forest thought it would be a good idea to pull a keeper mid game for incompetence? That's the one never ever ever do in football.

Or was it just "he should not have started"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wait a second...Forest thought it would be a good idea to pull a keeper mid game for incompetence? That's the one never ever ever do in football.

Or was it just "he should not have started"?
    Brennan said that he thought Bono should have been pulled, that you could see it in his face that he was done.

Forest said that although it was common in ice hockey, he’d never seen it happen in football. He also added that he wouldn’t have been surprised if he was pulled. It seemed he said that less because he thought it would or should happen and more to make it clear that he didn’t support Bono’s play. Earlier in the discussion he marvelled that Westberg was on the bench and not starting and that this indicated Bradley has zero confidence in Westberg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Brennan said that he thought Bono should have been pulled, that you could see it in his face that he was done.
    This “look” has appeared multiple times on Bono's face this summer.

This was first (to me) clearly visible during PKs in Vancouver.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF Bradley in fact does not have confidence in Westberg, you have to think it's due to size, which in fairness is a valid knock on him. Not that Bono is much taller either, but at least he has more bulk.

I have no proof to support this without looking at the numbers, but I'd wager we have the shortest GK tandem in the league based off the keepers we've played against that I can recall over the last 10 or so games.

Also as Og had alluded to, it's high time for Conway to bid happy trails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    IF Bradley in fact does not have confidence in Westberg, you have to think it's due to size, which in fairness is a valid knock on him. Not that Bono is much taller either, but at least he has more bulk.

I have no proof to support this without looking at the numbers, but I'd wager we have the shortest GK tandem in the league based off the keepers we've played against that I can recall over the last 10 or so games.

How does Conway have a job here still? Surely the past month of massive mistakes is something he is partly responsible for.

Bono and Westburgh, yes look "short" for keepers...and I think Bono is perhaps too bulky and it hurts him on the distance shots and lack of movement on crosses. The depth perception issues, not sure if its contact lenses related?

What can you do.

I have seen keepers pulled before during the game. And one famously before penalties for Chelsea, Az (something) who refused to come out....and he's been basically banished to the bench ever since with his massive contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

the entire position has been a problem and it needs to be dealt with right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This “look” has appeared multiple times on Bono's face this summer.

This was first (to me) clearly visible during PKs in Vancouver.
    Yeah, as soon as he began preparing for the first kick, he looked sort of down and away like he was deep in thought as he was pulling up one of his gloves, and he had a bleak expression. I think the phrase "I never stop these" ran into his mind.

I think the guy is full of doubt because he's got depth perception issues that prevent him from being the keeper he could be. Even if they only occasionally cause a leaky goal, that continually shakes his confidence until he's making more mistakes than automatic, adroit moves.

That's unfortunate. But if he never gets another top gig, he had a good pro career at a good level, because he won multiple cups and a title.

(He's 6'3, so he's not tiny by goalie standards. Westburg is 6'1, Ranjitsingh and Gavran both 6'2.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, as soon as he began preparing for the first kick, he looked sort of down and away like he was deep in thought as he was pulling up one of his gloves, and he had a bleak expression. I think the phrase "I never stop these" ran into his mind.

I think the guy is full of doubt because he's got depth perception issues that prevent him from being the keeper he could be. Even if they only occasionally cause a leaky goal, that continually shakes his confidence until he's making more mistakes than automatic, adroit moves.

That's unfortunate. But if he never gets another top gig, he had a good pro career at a good level, because he won multiple cups and a title.

(He's 6'3, so he's not tiny by goalie standards. Westburg is 6'1, Ranjitsingh and Gavran both 6'2.)
    It all started in a cold winter night in 2018... that was when the elite keeper known as Alex Bono died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    It all started in a cold winter night in 2018... that was when the elite keeper known as Alex Bono died.
    He lost his confidence in 2018, for sure and hasn’t had it solidly back since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loris Karius without a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Wasn't he like in Holland or Turkey afterwards?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a face - a low-TAM GK would be interesting though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    what a face - a low-TAM GK would be interesting though
    What happened?
    What's with the sudden fall into footballing obscurity?
    Cheat on your hottie and quickly spiral into oblivion?
    I remember he had trouble getting paid by his former club too.
    Would it hurt to offer him an all expense paid Try Out - Invite?
    If he's interested, see what he's still got.
    As a LOW-TAM signing it would be interesting.
    Me would likes another reclamation project and story.
    Also, maybe give MacNaughton a proper challenger in the looks competition.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 09-07-2022 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this is an enthusiast's or shill's post...
    Still... interesting...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd need a decent gk coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He'd need a decent gk coach
    Word is Quentin Westberg may be seeking alternative employment soon; an obvious candidate if interested?

How a moment or two can shake you to the core and affect you for a very long time or even forever!
    Change you.
    Cause you to 'walk alone'.

Ramos, Sith Master of the dark arts?

Again, not sure if this is also an enthusiast's or shill's post...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Word is Quentin Westberg may be seeking alternative employment soon; an obvious candidate if interested?
    Pass.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Pass.
    Interesting. Why so? While I have no reason to believe Q aspires to coaching, I would have thought he'd be a natural. And I've always thought he has a great understanding of the GK role and position in a modern footballing team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Interesting. Why so? While I have no reason to believe Q aspires to coaching, I would have thought he'd be a natural. And I've always thought he has a great understanding of the GK role and position in a modern footballing team.
    The way I see it, if the team is willing to spend $40M or so on the roster (more if allowed by MLS I'm sure) then why go cheap on coaches?

Go out and hire established, experienced, professional coaches that specialize in certain areas. Hiring some random players to be coaches is what got us Conway and probably why the academy is forever underwhelming.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    The way I see it, if the team is willing to spend $40M or so on the roster (more if allowed by MLS I'm sure) then why go cheap on coaches?

Go out and hire established, experienced, professional coaches that specialize in certain areas. Hiring some random players to be coaches is what got us Conway and probably why the academy is forever underwhelming.
    MLS has no salary budget or cap on coaches. Pay for the best.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has no salary budget or cap on coaches. Pay for the best.
    Relatedly, how does everyone feel about the classic notion that you need a manager who understands MLS in order to be successful?

While I used to subscribe heavily to the idea, the loosening of purse strings has made me question it more and more. The correct way to think is now about finding a manager willing to learn and adapt to the rules, for me.

The league is vastly more talented and this team specifically could benefit from hiring a candidate with fresh perspectives not reflective of the pre-existing, incestual nature of managerial hires.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Relatedly, how does everyone feel about the classic notion that you need a manager who understands MLS in order to be successful?

While I used to subscribe heavily to the idea, the loosening of purse strings has made me question it more and more. The correct way to think is now about finding a manager willing to learn and adapt to the rules, for me.

The league is vastly more talented and this team specifically could benefit from hiring a candidate with fresh perspectives not reflective of the pre-existing, incestual nature of managerial hires.
    I think it's a bit less risky than in previous eras of MLS but still the managers with sustained success are still American. It's something to be considered but if I were running a team and was thinking of that I would probably poach some young assistant from a second tier Euro league and give him a year or two at the MLS Next team to acclimatize. I'm not sure a more established manager with pedigree & ego would survive here with the bizarre rules and the officating. They would still probably quit. Maybe if they dumped the allocation money, allocation order, discovery rights, etc and just tossed some reasonable hard salary cap on MLS it would be easier.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

I'm not sure there's anything MLS-specific about goal-keeping. So regardless of the merit of MLS experience for head coaches (I think there is some due to the uniqueness of the travel and the salary "cap" where you mix $3M players with $80K players), I'm pretty sure you could look worldwide *** for a goal keeping coach.

(*** should speak English)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late. https://www.skysports.com/football/n...to-karl-darlow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure there's anything MLS-specific about goal-keeping. So regardless of the merit of MLS experience for head coaches (I think there is some due to the uniqueness of the travel and the salary "cap" where you mix $3M players with $80K players), I'm pretty sure you could look worldwide *** for a goal keeping coach.

(*** should speak English)
    For anything except the manager I think we should look overseas. Goalkeeping coach for sure and we should be looking into some of these other specialized coaches too (throw ins, defense, striker). Those moreso to help with youth players transistioning into the first team but also because they can really break down opposing team's tactics to try to work a gameplan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, we seem to always go for European types for our analytics...