Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    He deserves DP money
    He watched our most important game of the season out injured. Y’all chased Jozy out of town for this exact reason.

He ain’t a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do we keep starting akinola?
    The boy won't run, has no feet, and no vision.
    Is Jimenez really a worse option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay let's step back and put this into perspective. This is the best team in Montreal's history and they only beat TFC because our keeper let in two saveable goals. Otherwise this game probably ends in a tie. Bono and Westburg will both be gone at the end of the season. We also have an open DP spot and available TAM.

The next transfer window will be the 3rd one under BB. Let's see what the club does before making any coaching changes.

A word of caution on Osorio. He is 30 years old and has become injury prone. What has hurt this club the most since 2018 was giving out large, long-term contracts that have come back to haunt us. Jozy and Bono are two that come to mind. I wouldn't give him a DP deal, nor would I give him anything longer than 3 years. He is a decent player but not irreplaceable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some good news. Vancouver losing 2 nil to San Jose in the 1st half.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say 2 saveable goals & a big fat rebound off a ball that should be palmed to the right for a 3rd goal.

Watching Henry pass the ball back and forth in the second half without the ball moving forward brought back a lot of not good memories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Bob should have dropped Bono after the Miami game. Keeping him in after the Galaxy game is flat out inexcusable. If a player has proven to you they are not good enough and you keep playing them, it's not on them any more when they make mistakes. It's on you.

IMO no one is more responsible for tanking our slim playoff hopes than Bob. Not impressed.
    We don't see what Bob does in training. Maybe Westburg has looked out of form during training.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So many people here don't understand the type of coach that BB is. You can't judge him with a half rebuilt team. He's not a coach who gets the best with what he has. He plays a system and needs the players to make it happen.

He's not my cup of tea, but calling on him to be fired now, especially as this season was actually lost even before the Italians joined us ridiculous.
    Perhaps "so many people understand" that he should never have been hired. "He's not a coach who gets the best with what he has" is a perfect description of someone is is VERY unlikely to succeed in MLS, with a salary cap and crazy roster rules. Plus under an owner who is willing to spend a ton, but is still limited by all those restrictions, yet who also wants quick results. I.e. not a multi-year rebuild that might let you gradually acquire players to fit that system, and/or develop them through the academy.

Add to that the problem that his son is the ageing captain who has had a very large influence on the club for a number of years. It's always risky to have a player in that role. When Michael arrived, it was very helpful though, as TFC was a real shitshow and he helped turn it around. After a couple of years of management problems and pandemic turbulence, they needed a fresh start, but the new coach is closely tied to a guy who was very much in the thick of things.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 09-04-2022 at 09:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB asked if the goalkeeping has been good enough.

Wonder who asked that one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the 3 Italians first game together July 23rd this team has 15 points in 9 games...1.67 points per game, 3rd in the east

This was always going to be a rebuild year no matter what people said...I didnt have this team making playoffs in preseason predictions and they indeed dont make it

Take deep breaths, relax and enjoy the rest of the rebuild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    They simply both ned to be cleared out. I believe MB is out of contract. Let him walk then drop BB. Colorado didnt have the best season but I have faith in Fraser, if can't get someone else that has great potential then would much rather bring in RF than see another season with BB in charge.
    Mike is on another year here. So he and coach daddy are back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Perhaps "so many people understand" that he should never have been hired. "He's not a coach who gets the best with what he has" is a perfect description of someone is is VERY unlikely to succeed in MLS, with a salary cap and crazy roster rules. Plus under an owner who is willing to spend a ton, but is still limited by all those restrictions, yet who also wants quick results. I.e. not a multi-year rebuild that might let you gradually acquire players to fit that system, and/or develop them through the academy.

Add to that the problem that his son is the ageing captain who has had a very large influence on the club for a number of years. It's always risky to have a player in that role. When Michael arrived, it was very helpful though, as TFC was a real shitshow and he helped turn it around. After a couple of years of management problems and pandemic turbulence, they needed a fresh start, but the new coach is closely tied to a guy who was very much in the thick of things.
    Yep with this season it was always wait until the DPs arrived in July. Since then the DPs have been absolute magic each scoring 1 goal per game! This should be all wins but the GK and support system is in such shambles that they have lost many games despite scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Okay let's step back and put this into perspective. This is the best team in Montreal's history and they only beat TFC because our keeper let in two saveable goals. Otherwise this game probably ends in a tie. Bono and Westburg will both be gone at the end of the season. We also have an open DP spot and available TAM.

The next transfer window will be the 3rd one under BB. Let's see what the club does before making any coaching changes.

A word of caution on Osorio. He is 30 years old and has become injury prone. What has hurt this club the most since 2018 was giving out large, long-term contracts that have come back to haunt us. Jozy and Bono are two that come to mind. I wouldn't give him a DP deal, nor would I give him anything longer than 3 years. He is a decent player but not irreplaceable.

Fully agreed. He isn't going anywhere good in Europe, so lets not get scared he wil leave. He doesn't have many options. Lets not get handcuffed into another big contract for a 30 year old who does get injured and it will only get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't see what Bob does in training. Maybe Westburg has looked out of form during training.
    I can't see how much worse it could be...

Some of these goals just recently are horrible. Nutmegged from a horrible angle vs New England...the long range howler vs Miami....tonight getting megged twice (though one didn't count),,long range shots going in...set pieces can't command the box..... Etc...etc....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps "so many people understand" that he should never have been hired. "He's not a coach who gets the best with what he has" is a perfect description of someone is is VERY unlikely to succeed in MLS, with a salary cap and crazy roster rules.

You probably don't realize he's won an MLS Cup and two US Open Cups. With a salary cap and crazy roster rules.

Many people were really excited to have someone with his record. I wasn't so excited because he's old school and not really on the cutting edge. His triumphs were years ago. I prefer much more technical coaches who can have their team play a variety of styles. That doesn't mean he can't win today, especially with MLSEs resources. But it's a little less likely.

A more technical coach like changes styles to match their players available and their opposition, even changing formation mid-game. We had that with Greg Vanney, there are quite a few others in MLS who are like that, and if you look in Europe, most managers there are like that.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-04-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadians in Europe had a good day. 2 goals for Jonathan David, one for Ugbo, and 2 assists for Eustaqio.

Here's a thought. MLSE should make a ground breaking signing and offer David $100 million over 4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably don't realize he's won an MLS Cup and two US Open Cups. With a salary cap and crazy roster rules.

Many people were really excited to have someone with his record. I wasn't so excited because he's old school and not really on the cutting edge. I prefer much more technical coaches who can have their team play a variety of styles. That doesn't mean he can't win, especially with MLSEs resources.
    BB is a proven MLS coach. He wouldn't have a 30 year coaching career if he was incompetent. People have forgotten we had Chris Armas last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Fully agreed. He isn't going anywhere good in Europe, so lets not get scared he wil leave. He doesn't have many options. Lets not get handcuffed into another big contract for a 30 year old who does get injured and it will only get worse.
    While I agree on not being handcuffed (maybe offer 2yr contract with 3yr option or something), if he has a decent WC showing he might get signed for a 1-2yr contract in Europe. Sure he's not going to La Liga or the EPL, but Turkey, Greece or a 2nd tier league aren't out of the realm of possibility.
    I certainly wouldn't blame him with taking a payday even if it meant he's riding pine most of the time. Being more or less set for life is a tempting offer.

On the otherhand, do we get a new kit next year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    BB asked if the goalkeeping has been good enough.

Wonder who asked that one?
    TBF that might be his best piece of journalism of the season. It’s a valid question that’s not framing any sort of narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB is a proven MLS coach. He wouldn't have a 30 year coaching career if he was incompetent. People have forgotten we had Chris Armas last year.
    Essentially means starting 6ft under.
    Tall order and will take some time to climb out of the hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has done something amazing and incredibly rare tonight for himself -

unifying the opinion of every last person in this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    While I agree on not being handcuffed (maybe offer 2yr contract with 3yr option or something), if he has a decent WC showing he might get signed for a 1-2yr contract in Europe. Sure he's not going to La Liga or the EPL, but Turkey, Greece or a 2nd tier league aren't out of the realm of possibility.
    I certainly wouldn't blame him with taking a payday even if it meant he's riding pine most of the time. Being more or less set for life is a tempting offer.

On the otherhand, do we get a new kit next year?
    If he does get an offer from a lower European league it probably would be for less money. And yes we are getting a new home kit next year. The away kit will stay. Teams keep jerseys for 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    TBF that might be his best piece of journalism of the season. It’s a valid question that’s not framing any sort of narrative.
    at this points, may as well start the 3rd string keeper. At least give the kid a shot, unless if he's been doing terrible in training.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's painful to read the discussions here sometimes. People who only have a few years experience with TFC and only know BB from his LA gig. I've followed MLS from before TFC (2005) and knew who BB was, as does anyone who has followed the league for years.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people were really excited to have someone with his record. I wasn't so excited because he's old school and not really on the cutting edge. His triumphs were years ago. I prefer much more technical coaches who can have their team play a variety of styles. That doesn't mean he can't win today, especially with MLSEs resources.

A more technical coach like changes styles to match their players available and their opposition, even changing formation mid-game. We had that with Greg Vanney, there are quite a few others in MLS who are like that, and if you look in Europe, most managers there are like that.
    LOL that's pretty funny. Not really. I know that he won those cups, but in 1998 and 2000. (I started watching North American soccer in the NASL years.) As you said "old school." A very different league. Maybe Bob is still trying the same tactics and roster management strategies that worked will for him in those years?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's painful to read the discussions here sometimes. People who only have a few years experience with TFC and only know BB from his LA gig. I've followed MLS from before TFC (2005) and knew who BB was.
    Please get off your high horse, especially as a mod.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    at this points, may as well start the 3rd string keeper. At least give the kid a shot, unless if he's been doing terrible in training.
    Apparently he has been doing terribly in training. Which begs the question why keep him when we have some TFC II keepers we could try, as well as many CPL keepers we could loan who are much, much better than Bono at this point.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post

Getting unaminity on this issue is easy. It would be like asking who likes ice cream.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL that's pretty funny. Not really. I know that he won those cups, but in 1998 and 2000. (I started watching North American soccer in the NASL years.) As you said "old school." A very different league. Maybe Bob is still trying the same tactics and roster management strategies that worked will for him in those years?
    That's quite possible. I haven't watched that many games from the early years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep.

Apparently he has been doing terribly in training. Which begs the question why keep him when we have some TFC II keepers we could try, as well as many CPL keepers we could loan who are much, much better than Bono at this point.
    Certainly a legitimate question to be asking. Either send him back to TFC 2, loan him out to an CPL squad or cut him loose.
    100% agree that there are plenty of decent CPL keepers that would likely do better.

Wish TFC found a way to bring St. Clair in but at this rate, but would be too much $$$ for him to agree.

Still can't believe we ever let Frei go...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please get off your high horse, especially as a mod.
    For clarification I was not referring to you in any way. But point taken.