Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not sure where this should go… but in an interview with Molinaro published today, Vanney says he didn’t want to go, but Manning and Curtis were dragging their feet on an extension, which he expected between MLS Cup 2019 and July 2020, at which point he decided to start looking around…

fwiw
    Well we know Curtis had his own guy.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will stand up and still say i was a Vanney change person. Never in a million years did I think Armas was the train wreck coming that he was but I like BB and the direction we are going. It just has taken so long… Still joking about it and not planning it but I am looking forward to MLS Cup in LA vs. LAFC. With a full squad, only team that scares me is Philly. This is the week that determines everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where this should go… but in an interview with Molinaro published today, Vanney says he didn’t want to go, but Manning and Curtis were dragging their feet on an extension, which he expected between MLS Cup 2019 and July 2020, at which point he decided to start looking around…

fwiw
    It was the right time to move on from Vanney, but they didn’t do it properly at all

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    It was the right time to move on from Vanney, but they didn’t do it properly at all
    It is probably true that seven years is about the longest any manager can be effective.

Also, imagine having to listen to Ali Curtis all effing day for two years, and having to pretend you think he is smart.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Vanney coming back to Toronto after the inevitable NT stint with somebody - give it about 9 years from now. (I still think he does the 2030 WC for the US)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I see Vanney coming back to Toronto after the inevitable NT stint with somebody - give it about 9 years from now. (I still think he does the 2030 WC for the US)
    I like this prediction. Although I think Jesse Marsch will have a big mandate when he inevitably gets that position, and I don’t think he gets to the USMNT until at least 2025… also watch Ancelotti lurking in Vancouver…

Also I would have said Greg is BB's successor as President.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-29-2022 at 06:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just a note - BB adjusted LI going inside against Charlotte & Nelson going to the outside - didn't watch the game so not sure it worked to break them down more but he does make adjustments. What BB doesn't do is go form 4-3-3 to 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 to 5-3-2 all in one half - only Vanney does that in MLS and its insane.
    I didn’t see the match either but LI in the hole when Osorio and MAK are out sounds a good idea. It seems BB did make adjustments earlier in the season but the younger players weren’t capable of them. Also, I wasn’t capable of watching, hah, because we were so lamentably bad.

But certain things seem a given with BB. The adaptability will, to some degree, come from fluidity of attack… don’t think we’re going to see that enough until next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the Molinaro Vanney interview, it sounds like the real sticking point was how the future was going to look - Curtis had his ideas & Vanney didn't see it being doable to the standard & in the way he would have preferred.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob has actually used a bunch of formations this year based on the players we've had available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Bob has actually used a bunch of formations this year based on the players we've had available.
    I would love to see for once just to try a 4-4-2 with Insigne and Berna playing similar roles to the giovinco / altidore days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Yes, but he’s been pretty stuck to the 4-3-3 for a while now (and the idea of two wingers and a striker up top all year).

I don’t think BB needs to have a full bag of formations to turn to. That being said, it would definitely be negligent not to develop an alternative by next year’s playoffs. That doesn’t necessarily need to be a formation, but more a way of playing like bringing Lorenzo inside last match.

Two major risks that make this necessary: (1) Club’s setting up to shut down our primary strategies and (2) injuries to key players which shut down our primary strategies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

… also watch Ancelotti lurking in Vancouver…
    If the following statement is not a 'fake quote' and actually attributable to him... then how could such a good mister be so wrong?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-30-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fwiw

was done with Seba, Vanney, Altidore and Bradley- most 1 year contract normally are resolved sooner than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    was done with Seba, Vanney, Altidore and Bradley- most 1 year contract normally are resolved sooner than later.
    Manning and Curtis appear to think they are smarter than those around them. The evidence points to the contrary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB has changed formations from match to match historically, eg. @ LAFC and even with TFC.
    I think during matches he has adopted the 'Mancini Template' for now.
    It seems to align with his own thoughts, style and intentions for TFC footy.
    For me, that is a 'fluid' 4-3-3...
    That may tactically morph during match play into spurts of a mid hold/press of 2-5-3, a defensive shell of 4-5-1, and even a counter attack 2-3-5.
    Still I have no idea of what this was during the Charlotte FC game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this is sort of revisiting the past but my take was, Vanney was mostly a good coach but the guy was incredibly short termist.

Have a young guy with promise on the bench? Well he gets one chance at spot minutes and if he’s not flawless, you won’t see him again for 3 months. That’s why we had an excess of Nick DeLeon types on the roster. 6/10 performances, tactically over-do games. Don’t think about rest-recovery or managing minutes. The immediate task was all that mattered, win the next game, the next thing (i.e. push for a supporters shield with guys on crutches rather than rest and make a real playoff run)

I think we got what we needed out of him and it was time to move on. We just chose the wrong people and had the wrong plan after the fact.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-30-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Manning and Curtis appear to think they are smarter than those around them. The evidence points to the contrary.

arrogance at it's finest. lost a couple of competitive years but have the italians to show for it.

oh i guess TFC is still paying , Armas, Ali, Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    arrogance at it's finest. lost a couple of competitive years but have the italians to show for it.

oh i guess TFC is still paying , Armas, Ali, Jozy
    I definitely appreciate the Italians, but I don’t think they would have come with Curtis and Armas in charge. Manning is lucky he has MLSE money and the Bradley’s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I guess this is sort of revisiting the past but my take was, Vanney was mostly a good coach but the guy was incredibly short termist.

Have a young guy with promise on the bench? Well he gets one chance at spot minutes and if he’s not flawless, you won’t see him again for 3 months. That’s why we had an excess of Nick DeLeon types on the roster. 6/10 performances, tactically over-do games. Don’t think about rest-recovery or managing minutes. The immediate task was all that mattered, win the next game, the next thing (i.e. push for a supporters shield with guys on crutches rather than rest and make a real playoff run)

I think we got what we needed out of him and it was time to move on. We just chose the wrong people and had the wrong plan after the fact.
    Vanney to me was less short-termist than he was about knowing what he was going to get out of a guy. It has its merits.

The guys who puts in the consistent 6/10 performances in this league are valuable because they understand their limitations and play the game as tactically intended. These two things mean players make less mistakes and other players are more prepared for the mistakes that do happen.

Players who try to push the limits of their ability on the pitch and aren’t as tactically disciplined tend to make mistakes that are riskier/higher impact.

Vanney felt like the kind of coach that wanted his players to know where the ball would go next even when they were brain dead exhausted. That’s why he valued the 6/10 guys and that’s why he’d sometimes rather play a guy on crutches than a kid who’d never touched the pitch in MLS.

At least that’s my theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Vanney to me was less short-termist than he was about knowing what he was going to get out of a guy. It has its merits.

The guys who puts in the consistent 6/10 performances in this league are valuable because they understand their limitations and play the game as tactically intended. These two things mean players make less mistakes and other players are more prepared for the mistakes that do happen.

Players who try to push the limits of their ability on the pitch and aren’t as tactically disciplined tend to make mistakes that are riskier/higher impact.

Vanney felt like the kind of coach that wanted his players to know where the ball would go next even when they were brain dead exhausted. That’s why he valued the 6/10 guys and that’s why he’d sometimes rather play a guy on crutches than a kid who’d never touched the pitch in MLS.

At least that’s my theory.
    That’s my sense of it, as well.

Interestingly, with Vanney and Bradley we’ve had opposite approaches. Earlier in the season Bradley needed a certain type of player to fit his conception of the football be wants to play and he choose the players that, in theory, might play that way. But in fact they were not ready to start, or even, maybe ever to play those roles. I can’t imagine Vanney making those choices.

Both have a strong sense of the football they want to play but different ways to get there. Also, Vanney came in under the gun needing to win right away whereas Bob clearly has carte blanche to tear down and lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get it. Maybe I’m just a little jaded by the worse years with Vanney as opposed to the better ones.

My memory is something as follow: season is shot. Nick DeLeon et al aren’t going to win you the game with 6/10 performances. No downside to trying young players. Who plays? Nick DeLeon.

And by no means is this an endorsement of the youth talent we had at the time (far from it). But there are certain circumstances where average will never be enough (or accomplishes nothing) and risk taking is what’s needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I’m sure the lean years before Vanney helped me to overlook the poor years he had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d say both managers, in their different ways, are ‘loyalty’ men. They get what they need from their players based on a certain devotion and attitude. Not true of every coach in this league, for sure.

In Vanney’s defence, Deleon despite being a career 6/10er fought like hell for us and even scored some brilliant and timely goals.

Also, he was being misused in DC but not here. Vanney was poor with relying on internal youth but excellent in seeing the qualities in players being poorly used elsewhere. See young Delgado and young Layrea.

I think Vanney didn’t bring in his players in order to sit them when things were not going well. Partly he got what he got out of them by sticking with them.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 08-30-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With winning this game we can replace the playoff spot sides so we'll need to continue what the designated players brought forth. If Osario and essentially Bono are playing, you can argue that if the designated players continue, theres a good chance that the others can contribute too to make it more whole. This game can be pivitol to see if we replace a playoff spot sort of how they all are in this resepct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe some of the differences in style between the two are socio-cultural. Vanney is a younger middle American dude who played in LA and France, he’s a bit more mild mannered and flexible. Bradley is a tough New Jersey-ite fighter of an earlier generation. Both intelligent guys though and both want to “play football” but very different minds/temperaments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any news on the Osorio and MAK fronts? We could really use both of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Any news on the Osorio and MAK fronts? We could really use both of them.
    Both trained today but away from the main group. Molinaro has them as "questionable".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Keep your cards close to your vest. Keep the enemy thinking. Don't make it easy for them. Preparing for Oso and MAK in the midfield is different from preparing for Nelson and Kerr ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expect a large crowd tonight.....the Ex games always have been a big draw & the resale market is high for this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    ^^^ Keep your cards close to your vest. Keep the enemy thinking. Don't make it easy for them. Preparing for Oso and MAK in the midfield is different from preparing for Nelson and Kerr ...
    Ironically, Vanney had a blackbelt in doing exactly this.