RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other MLS games – Aug 26-28

Well, there is still a slim outside chance we can squeak into playoffs. Last week lots of the games ended up going our way but we dropped 5 points in two games. Pretty much wins from here on out if it’s possible. Here are the games this weekend:

Friday, August 26:

LAFC @ Austin – 8pm – Should be a decent game here with both the top teams in the West meeting. Most likely LA will be playing all of their big guns to bounce back after losing to the worst team in their conference.

Seattle @ Portland – 10pm – Another clash of the West, both sitting on the bubble just outside playoffs. A win could be the push one of them need to get above the playoff line, a loss and it might be the end. It’s that time of year.

Saturday, August 27:
    Houston @ Minnesota – 3:30pm – Afternoon game in August, thankfully not in Texas but I don’t think the temp will affect much. Minnesota have been doing well and trying to secure the home advantage now.

Miami @ Red Bulls – 7pm – We won’t be catching Red Bulls so maybe having them take the win and we try to catch Miami here. Will their press be more effective than ours against Miami, they seem to have more structure than we do at the moment.

Columbus @ Cincinnati
    – 7:30pm – Both teams have lots of draws, maybe that’s what we would want here out of this game. Hard to say with so many teams ahead of us.

Colorado @ Philadelphia
    – 7:30pm –Philly in the hunt to catch LA for supporter’s shield, this would be their chance to close the gap

Montreal @ Chicago
    – 8pm – Montreal quietly going about their business here, a win away from home would help keep Chicago below us

San Jose @ Kansas
    – 8:30pm – Pretty lack luster game happening here, San Jose might feel inspired after that win against LAFC, might be the push they need to try for that last playoff spot.

RSL @ Dallas
    – 9pm – Another Western playoff race, fighting for that home advantage. Haven’t watched much of these teams however so not sure what to expect.

Nashville @ Vancouver
    – 10pm on TSN – Whitecaps need that win to break into the playoffs, now is the time to do it while they are at home.

Sunday, August 28:
    D.C @ Atlanta – 4pm – Two bottom of the East duke it out here, I mean D.C is due for a win anyways at this point right? Yikes Philly alone have 13 goals against them in two games. Furthermore, their last wins were July 31, 4 and May 7, wow. Are they going to give Rooney the time?

NYFC @ Orlando
    – 7:30pm – I mean New York would again be doing us a favor, leaving the bottom 3 playoff spots for us to battle to get in.

Galaxy @ New England
    – 8pm – Both teams really hit and miss here. An LA win would be good for us in the standings, but then we play them midweek and they might be coming off of a high. Travel won’t be so kind to them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forget playoffs...just sit back and enjoy with no stress

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....about that whole LAFC is the best team in the league ever thing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmm....about that whole LAFC is the best team in the league ever thing...
    Seattle squeaks in the playoffs and knocks them out with anti football at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their home game against Seattle is like the Santa Claus parade of their year - they are planning the next one already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Seattle squeaks in the playoffs and knocks them out with anti football at some point.
    I was thinking RSL, but yeah
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz sent off with a red card in the 29th minute. Awkward play but studded the guy in the chest. No way around getting sent off for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow yeah I just went back and watched it. Looks like it was an accident and had no idea the guy was there while looking behind him to bring down the ball..non the less, still a red and he front kicked the guy pretty hard in the chest

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavalini comes in at half and gets a straight red for stepping on someone's head in the 55th. They were down by 3 at that point.. what an awful decision when you're team is fighting for a playoff spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a clip of Cavalini's red card. That looks really bad. Probably deserving of a suspension for a few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando up 1-0, but got a red card at the beginning of the second. Lets hope NYCFC can get a few back.
    LAG taking care of things against NER.
    EDIT: Red card was rescinded, but game is 1-1.
    Last edited by noxx98; 08-28-2022 at 08:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Orlando up 1-0, but got a red card at the beginning of the second. Lets hope NYCFC can get a few back.
    LAG taking care of things against NER.
    EDIT: Red card was rescinded, but game is 1-1.
    EDIT EDIT: Orlando scores on a last minute corner to win it at the death and grab all 3 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Here's a clip of Cavalini's red card. That looks really bad. Probably deserving of a suspension for a few games.
    So it’s sort of vague from the clip but if you watch the longer highlight package, yes he does kick the guy in the head on his way by after pushing him to the ground.

Not to sound alarmist but that might dynamite his WC chances. We’ll have to see, Herdman has some tough choices to make and leaving at home a guy who likely isn’t playing any football for the next while wouldn’t exactly me surprising (as much as Herdman seems to have a fair amount of loyalty)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So it’s sort of vague from the clip but if you watch the longer highlight package, yes he does kick the guy in the head on his way by after pushing him to the ground.

Not to sound alarmist but that might dynamite his WC chances. We’ll have to see, Herdman has some tough choices to make and leaving at home a guy who likely isn’t playing any football for the next while wouldn’t exactly me surprising (as much as Herdman seems to have a fair amount of loyalty)
    Not sure if it's a 'kick' in so much as a follow through cleat step to the head/neck?
    While the player withered on the ground as a result of Cavallini's preceding 'body check'!
    All looks deliberate to me.
    Not sure if something was going on between the two that precipitated the incident.
    The 'feel' of it sort of reminds me of Totti's action against Belotti X EDIT: Apologies, got my Italian B strikers mixed up... meant to state Balotelli!
    Mos def should raise a legitimate concern and question about his WC participation.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-30-2022 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn’t that bad. I doubt its THAT long a suspension.

I’d bring Cavallini to Qatar regardless. News flash, he might start a game. There is a role for bruisers like Henry and Cavs.

Larin is not getting very many minutes so far in Belgium.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-29-2022 at 02:20 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I’d bring Cavallini to Qatar regardless. News flash, he might start a game. There is a role for bruisers like Henry and Cavs.
    I guess but besides being a bruiser he doesn't offer much else.

I'd consider dangling that roster spot in front of Mitrovic just to see if he could be tempted. That'd be more of a pay off in 2026 but he isn't any worse than Cavallini.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn’t that bad. I doubt its THAT long a suspension.

Larin is not getting very many minutes so far in Belgium.
    I’d almost certainly drop Henry. Not enough game time to be sharp. Too inconsistent to be counted on. He’s a red card risk anytime he’s on the field at that level. That, and it would be crazy to leave off Joel Waterman considering Canada is paper thin at CB

I think they go with Lain #1 and if he struggles it’s over to Ugbo or David as the lone striker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d almost certainly drop Henry. Not enough game time to be sharp. Too inconsistent to be counted on. He’s a red card risk anytime he’s on the field at that level. That, and it would be crazy to leave off Joel Waterman considering Canada is paper thin at CB
    Why does everyone love Waterman so much? I am looking forward to Sunday's game to try to understand this. I haven't seen enough Montreal to have a big opinion, but what I have seen ain't much. I mean why him, and not MacNaughton? If it's because Montreal has a better record... I disagree with that.

Re the bolded bit, much of the CMNT is having trouble getting quality minutes. Scott Kennedy for instance can hardly get a game either. It's a bit worrying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone love Waterman so much? I am looking forward to Sunday's game to try to understand this. I haven't seen enough Montreal to have a big opinion, but what I have seen ain't much. I mean why him, and not MacNaughton? If it's because Montreal has a better record... I disagree with that.

Re the bolded bit, much of the CMNT is having trouble getting quality minutes. Scott Kennedy for instance can hardly get a game either. It's a bit worrying.
    Re: playing time. Yes, it’s concerning but not comparable to Henry’s situation. He’s about 6 months away from having professional opportunities that include the CPL, the USL, etc…

Waterman is as good as MacNaughton on the ball and more steady defensively. In fairness, he worked out his kinks after a year in the league and Lucas may well do the same. But right now, I would put Waterman ahead. He’s also playing next to two guys who would foreseeable line up next to him for the CMNT in the event he sees the field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That make sense. Especially familiarity with Johnston and Millar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I guess but besides being a bruiser he doesn't offer much else.

I'd consider dangling that roster spot in front of Mitrovic just to see if he could be tempted. That'd be more of a pay off in 2026 but he isn't any worse than Cavallini.
    Agreed, Cavallini is a talentless thug. I hope Herdman doesn't bring him to Qatar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn’t that bad. I doubt its THAT long a suspension...
    Ha! Perhaps.
    IIRC Totti got 4 IC games and Balotelli got 1 IC game for 'doth protesting too much'.
    Cavallini's may be in the 2-3 game range.
    Sartini seems to be thinking he gets a few; more than one for sure.
    We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Not sure if it's a 'kick' in so much as a follow through cleat step to the head/neck?
    While the player withered on the ground as a result of Cavallini's preceding 'body check'!
    All looks deliberate to me.
    It was more than deliberate. Look at the replay again - he looked down to see where he was before he proceeded to stomp. That's intent to injure right there, and I'm guessing 3 games at least if it gets to the disciplinary committee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn’t that bad. I doubt its THAT long a suspension...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Ha! Perhaps.
    IIRC Totti got 4 IC games and Balotelli got 1 IC game for 'doth protesting too much'.
    Cavallini's may be in the 2-3 game range.
    Sartini seems to be thinking he gets a few; more than one for sure.
    We will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    It was more than deliberate. Look at the replay again - he looked down to see where he was before he proceeded to stomp. That's intent to injure right there, and I'm guessing 3 games at least if it gets to the disciplinary committee.
    Ha! Totti it is then! Seems Cavallini may get 'four' according to a quasi-reliable source? Teammate...
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/whit...ial-suspension