Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    First thing Insigne hugged BB after the final whistle. I think any "theories" that there is something wrong under BB's tenure can be laid to rest.
    I dunno, it could be as little as some complacency because they sure came out a different team in the second half.
    Like, night and day.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever was troubling Mavinga earlier in the season seems over. He played a great game.

Bono was Bono. Not so great but bailed out by poor finishing by Charlotte and some good defending by Mavinga and Bernie tracking back. Can't wait for Q to be back.

Bradley was solid again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting to play along side someone as quality as Criscito must have helped Mavinga a lot,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping Mavinga can recover - would like to see Mac+O'Neill so Mavinga can take a bit of a sit, but these games may be way too important for us.

2 more wins with the slate in front of us could actually see us vault into a playoff spot - 4 points is kinda iffy but doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent:

Insigne
    Bern
    Mavinga

Great:

Macnaughton (aside from bad give away)
    O'Neill
    Criscito

Good:

Laryea
    Bono
    Nelson

Poor:

Bradley
    Akinola
    Kerr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great win. Tough first half but they pulled through which is what we needed. Mavinga has been great lately and outside of a few bad plays by MacNaughton happy to see him continue to do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outstanding second half, Bernie especially, plus Laryea was quietly great on both sides of the game throughout the whole game. Mavinga really good as well, though with the injury at the end and MacNaughton having a bit of a rough one (the first game he's really struggled in since spring), it might not be a bad idea to see O'Neill and/or Henry in the next game.

Rode our luck a bit in the first half but we need a game or two like this down the stretch where we have to be opportunistic. Keeps our faint hopes alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Poor:

Bradley
    lmao, MB could announce he's cured cancer tomorrow and some people would still hate him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s interesting to read through these comments after having watched the game. It sounded like we were doomed. Far less than perfect, absolutely….but we got the away result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    lmao, MB could announce he's cured cancer tomorrow and some people would still hate him
    I've been pretty consistent the last few years that he should not be an everyday 90 minute player, however this year he has been a revelation.

Bradley is now on the 4th phase of his footballing career, he might have another 1-2 years left at this level.

We still need a replacement though as teams can easily breeze by him too quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that was another great game. If our designated players can do this for the remainder of the season, you would wonder why they didnt come to Toronto FC earlier. Almost, to say that given they are the remedy to the beginning being on and off with winning or losing, they have proven that they are good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the word on MAK? Is he done for this season or what? The guy plays one game and goes poof.

If we have any chance of making it to playoffs we need rotation in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I've never rated Michael Bradley particularly highly but since the Italians came in he's stepped his game up. He's playing within himself and seems to have taken his ego out of the game and he's been great, I thought he was very good last night focusing on the things he's good at. When he does that, even at his age, he still has alot to offer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GIve it to the Italians, and get out of the way. That's the game plan. Don't mess with it going forward. What a beauty by Berna. Plus 3 and on we go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What's the word on MAK? Is he done for this season or what? The guy plays one game and goes poof.

If we have any chance of making it to playoffs we need rotation in the middle.
    MAK was questionable for this game but he was the interview on Thursday - likely last minute before travelling decisin to be held back for Wednesday / Saturday. If there was a game where we could avoid pushing players to go to, it was this one. LAG at home & the L'Impact will be much tougher.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN has nothing on this game but a 33 second highlight package from their broadcast & an AP 3 paragraph blurb - no replay on demand. League has the highlights from the Carolina broadcast perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TSN has nothing on this game but a 33 second highlight package from their broadcast & an AP 3 paragraph blurb - no replay on demand. League has the highlights from the Carolina broadcast perspective.
    So looking forward to Apple running the show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been telling people for two decades that soccer is hated by the sports media establishment in Canada. They run on a Bro culture of hockey, basketball, football, baseball. If it’s not one of the traditional four big leagues they turn up their noses to it as a pussy sport, they always have.

When I worked at urban papers, most of the national soccer columns I wrote were VOLUNTEER, in a place where nobody on staff volunteers columns. They only let me do it because I was a) a successful columnist, so they knew it would generate interest and b) FREE space filler.

It seems little has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I’ve been telling people for two decades that soccer is hated by the sports media establishment in Canada. They run on a Bro culture of hockey, basketball, football, baseball. If it’s not one of the traditional four big leagues they turn up their noses to it as a pussy sport, they always have.

When I worked at urban papers, most of the national soccer columns I wrote were VOLUNTEER, in a place where nobody on staff volunteers columns. They only let me do it because I was a) a successful columnist, so they knew it would generate interest and b) FREE space filler.

CBC started off well with TFC in my opinion and those were the dire days of Mo and company. They really missed a trick here and could have had all the Canadian content in this country from grass roots right to the national team along with world cup rights.

Isn't it hilarious that Canadian broadcasting(Nats/CPL/CONCAF) of soccer in this country is foreign own by the Spanish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the changing demographics of this country I believe this will change. A relative of mine used to work to work in an admin role for MLSE and he said that their marketing studies indicated that basketball and soccer were the sports expected to have the largest growth. I have 2 teenage boys and both are avid basketball and soccer fans, and have zero interest in hockey, baseball and American football, and many of their friends are the same.

I know for a fact that baseball is concerned about the lack of interest in the game by younger viewers. Football was the big sport when I was in high school, however today many high schools don't even play due to injury and concussion concerns. I think it's only a matter of time before the CFL folds, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. As for hockey, participation in this sport has peaked and I believe will drop given the costs of playing as well as the exclusionary attitudes of the people running it. Didn't the Scarborough Minor Hockey Association shut down about a decade ago due to lack of participation?

Go back 100 hundred years and the most popular sports in America were boxing and horse racing. Both are now fringe sports. I would love to be around 50 years from now to see what the north American sports landscape looks like. I suspect we wouldn't recognize it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Given the changing demographics of this country I believe this will change. A relative of mine used to work to work in an admin role for MLSE and he said that their marketing studies indicated that basketball and soccer were the sports expected to have the largest growth. I have 2 teenage boys and both are avid basketball and soccer fans, and have zero interest in hockey, baseball and American football, and many of their friends are the same.

I know for a fact that baseball is concerned about the lack of interest in the game by younger viewers. Football was the big sport when I was in high school, however today many high schools don't even play due to injury and concussion concerns. I think it's only a matter of time before the CFL folds, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. As for hockey, participation in this sport has peaked and I believe will drop given the costs of playing as well as the exclusionary attitudes of the people running it. Didn't the Scarborough Minor Hockey Association shut down about a decade ago due to lack of participation?

Go back 100 hundred years and the most popular sports in America were boxing and horse racing. Both are now fringe sports. I would love to be around 50 years from now to see what the north American sports landscape looks like. I suspect we wouldn't recognize it.
    Good points.

I do wonder if Canada's improving fortunes have more to do with the demographic shift than improved coaching and infrastructure. When I look at foreign leagues rated higher than MLS is does seem more and more that team tactics and player intelligence is increasingly where the gap lies, rather than athleticism or ability on the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The replay is up on TSN now. Watching it currently since I missed last night's game because of that COVID thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it (more) time. Basketball was dismissed for quite a while too. First as a joke. Then a curiosity for urbanites. Now it has a mass appeal. The TSN’s and Sportsnets will never learn to love soccer, but they are about 5-10 years from being irrelevant.

Socioeconomic reality of today: things are changing. Hockey is expensive and ice time is hard to come by. In my own social circle, the average response I’ve gotten from a parent asking if they’ll register their kid in minor hockey is “maybe if they ask, but we’re registering them in other sports right now”. That’s normally followed by some backhand comment about not wanting their kid to be a “hockey douche”. People who grew up with the sport and played for a long time tend to be the exception, but everyone else seems fairly mixed about their involvement.

Sports like baseball, soccer, and basketball that are cheap to play and have less concerns surrounding head injuries / repetitive contact are the most popular choice. And I should add, are the most requested by the kids too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    CBC started off well with TFC in my opinion and those were the dire days of Mo and company. They really missed a trick here and could have had all the Canadian content in this country from grass roots right to the national team along with world cup rights.

Isn't it hilarious that Canadian broadcasting(Nats/CPL/CONCAF) of soccer in this country is foreign own by the Spanish?
    Totally agree. The cbc was torn down and had to reinvent itself in maybe ways. This would have been a great opportunity and beneficial for all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Give it (more) time. Basketball was dismissed for quite a while too. First as a joke. Then a curiosity for urbanites. Now it has a mass appeal. The TSN’s and Sportsnets will never learn to love soccer, but they are about 5-10 years from being irrelevant.

Socioeconomic reality of today: things are changing. Hockey is expensive and ice time is hard to come by. In my own social circle, the average response I’ve gotten from a parent asking if they’ll register their kid in minor hockey is “maybe if they ask, but we’re registering them in other sports right now”. That’s normally followed by some backhand comment about not wanting their kid to be a “hockey douche”. People who grew up with the sport and played for a long time tend to be the exception, but everyone else seems fairly mixed about their involvement.

Sports like baseball, soccer, and basketball that are cheap to play and have less concerns surrounding head injuries / repetitive contact are the most popular choice. And I should add, are the most requested by the kids too.
    Sports consumers today have many more choices than even 5 years ago. I can't remember the last time I even watched Sportsnet, which is nothing more than a vehicle for promoting the Blue Jays. The only reason I keep TSN is for TFC games, otherwise I have no use for either of these channels. Most of my sports watching is now via streaming services such as DAZN and FUBO, and my footy information is through various soccer podcasts.

As for hockey, because we live in Canada we get a skewed perspective about its global popularity. If you want to piss off a hockey fan just tell them that hockey is an irrelevant sport played in six countries in the world, and watch the steam start coming from their ears. There is a reason the world junior hockey championship is played in Canada more often than not. When played elsewhere no one shows up.

Sorry for the rant, but I too am disappointed by the total contempt exhibited by the sports media in this country towards soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There was such a heated debate about Bernadeschi before he signed 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Haha for real. Favorite player on the team for sure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the problem with TFC coverage is that Bell and Rogers are allowed to own MLSE. That should never have been permitted, it totally eliminates new entrants like DAZN and FUBO and Mediasport, and all kinds of other knock on effects flow from that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Sports consumers today have many more choices than even 5 years ago. I can't remember the last time I even watched Sportsnet, which is nothing more than a vehicle for promoting the Blue Jays. The only reason I keep TSN is for TFC games, otherwise I have no use for either of these channels. Most of my sports watching is now via streaming services such as DAZN and FUBO, and my footy information is through various soccer podcasts.

As for hockey, because we live in Canada we get a skewed perspective about its global popularity. If you want to piss off a hockey fan just tell them that hockey is an irrelevant sport played in six countries in the world, and watch the steam start coming from their ears. There is a reason the world junior hockey championship is played in Canada more often than not. When played elsewhere no one shows up.

Sorry for the rant, but I too am disappointed by the total contempt exhibited by the sports media in this country towards soccer.
    It even blows my mind that even a show like "Tim and Friends" will NEVER talk about TFC, but theyll talk about the last or upcoming Argo game... pisses me off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Bernie amazing
    Bernie with the bow, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Bernie covers another Bono mistake, then soon after scores on the other side. Wow.
    Has to be said again... seems Fede has really bought in.
    The fist pump and vocal when he came back to finally break up that attack play is telling.
    Then with continued effort and determination to be rewarded shortly there after.
    An explanation of sporting satisfaction.
    Carries an attitude that looks to be infectious; focused... but fun and easy going.
    Chatting it up with a female spectator; over a drink... of water... perhaps?
    Even opponent fans during a corner? All smiles.
    His PR is priceless.
    Even being featured in Italian media.
    Saying a lot of really nice things about the organization, league, city and country.
    Might even help TFC attract another Italian signing or two during the next couple of windows.
    Can't ask anymore from his on or off pitch commitment and performance than this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    It even blows my mind that even a show like "Tim and Friends" will NEVER talk about TFC, but theyll talk about the last or upcoming Argo game... pisses me off
    I've seen them do TFC but usually only when something big happens (like the LI & FB debuts) and it's like a 45 second bit tops.