Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    At this point it seems most of the online handicappers are improving our odds. I just read a New England fan page that was praising them for not being scored on all month, playing the best football New England has played in a while etc etc… and then he picked us to win 2-0 tonight.
    Pinnacle has us at 1.88 to win tonight
    To be considered an elite team the odds should be around 1.50 or so
    but like I said the oddsmaker doing tfc games hasn’t got a clue he has been way off since the Italians arrived
    or maybe 1.88 still because Nelson is starting
    if kaye starts that number would be lower

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Good memory, that was the Cincinnati game. I'm sure your memory will also remember that our bench for that game was Akinola, Peruzza, Kerr, Franklin, Antonoglou, Yeates, and Rothrock. So with all that information could you give us your expertise on who should have started instead to give us a win that game?
    BINGO Bob left the cupboards empty, just a roster full of kids and first half season was spent on teaching the kids but this is not a kids team, Does Bob with almost 40 years in coaching not have the smarts to know that these kids were never ready for MLS, I see half this youngsters out of soccer in a couple of years. You do not need much of a roster to get yourself in a playoff spot, but Bob managed to accomplish the impossible with his poor management.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    BINGO Bob left the cupboards empty, just a roster full of kids and first half season was spent on teaching the kids but this is not a kids team, Does Bob with almost 40 years in coaching not have the smarts to know that these kids were never ready for MLS, I see half this youngsters out of soccer in a couple of years. You do not need much of a roster to get yourself in a playoff spot, but Bob managed to accomplish the impossible with his poor management.
    You're right, he should have signed all the players required who were available in January/February to either 6 month or 1 year deals even though MLS usually requires a minimum of 1+1 and then fired them aside as needed because that's how the real, non-EA Sports football world works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean this genuinely - who do you think we should have signed instead? Maybe we could have pushed to have the Kaye trade or Richie loan happen earlier, but the team needed to keep some powder dry for Criscito/Berna moves which limited other options. I think the team was also hoping for a bit more from Salcedo over the course of the season. We could have gone out and found a few more Shane O'Neill types, but there weren't many players on his level that were free agents and O'Neill required a 3 year deal at $350k/season. Signing four players like that eats up a lot of cap space.

Additionally, over the first 7 games of the season we were 3-2-2. In those games Oso and Poz each averaged 85 minutes per game. In the next 8 games we went 1-1-6 where they averaged 44 minutes per game. If Oso and Poz don't get injured we likely pick up a few more points from those games and are in a playoff position. In this league if a team loses its top two midfielders to injury, fourth best mid (Priso) battles injuries + a red card in the 6th minute, and fifth best mid (Okello) is injured the whole year, you're going to struggle a lot. It's impossible for teams to have the depth to overcome that.

EDIT: After our 7 games we were tied with 7th place (behond on GD). After 15 games (when Oso/Pos were out) we were 12th.
    Last edited by noxx98; 08-17-2022 at 01:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

armchairs are comfortable but they're not great for when you need a backbone for your argument

you can't just say all these things without actually providing a plan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Pinnacle has us at 1.88 to win tonight
    To be considered an elite team the odds should be around 1.50 or so
    but like I said the oddsmaker doing tfc games hasn’t got a clue he has been way off since the Italians arrived
    or maybe 1.88 still because Nelson is starting
    if kaye starts that number would be lower
    1.88 was clearly because Bono was playing. You need a solid keeper to be an elite team. Let's be realistic, we're a few pieces plus some depth away from being elite.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-17-2022 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    1.88 was clearly because Bono was playing. You need a solid keeper to be an elite team. Let's be realistic, we're a few pieces plus some depth away from being elite.
    Yeah, a solid keeper, a reliable striker and some pretty serious depth.

None of that is easy to come by but it’d be a shame if we don’t find that next year. I think our centre-half situation is okay - yes, could be improved but the previous three needs are greater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You're right, he should have signed all the players required who were available in January/February to either 6 month or 1 year deals even though MLS usually requires a minimum of 1+1 and then fired them aside as needed because that's how the real, non-EA Sports football world works.
    Well, exactly.

“Fix the roster in entirety right now”

Six months later…

“These players suck, management doesn’t know what they’re doing”

Count me as glad they haven’t loaded up on panic signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.on.bet365.ca/#/AC/B1/C17...013/F2!/AS/B1/

with last nights draw we have moved up to finishing 4th in the east

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually a lot of money was bet on Toronto during the day of the game
    it was an easy bet to bet Toronto to win
    https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/us...tion-AZPmrfX5/

odds dropped all the way down to 1.74
    easy money for a lot of people but then Bono let’s in two goals that has about a 3% probability of going in
    ane Insigne plays the worst game possible
    https://www.google.com/search?q=expe...jrTQkixGoG3TDM
    Last edited by stevep; 08-18-2022 at 04:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think these next two games will determine it.

Full points - we are going to do it

4 points - we are maybe going to do it

Anything else - we are not going to get there, too many teams to catch with only 7 games left.

Yup.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team is awful on the road with only 1 road win all season...how were ppl expecting us to get 3-4 wins on the road on top of the home wins needed? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Team is awful on the road with only 1 road win all season...how were ppl expecting us to get 3-4 wins on the road on top of the home wins needed? lol
    Don't think I was expecting but hoping.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at this way....we have an extended preseason for 2023 MLS season and it already started. I think everyone had hope this season. It will still be entertaining but easier on us if we don't expect anything then we are not disappointed. But some of the holes left are still glaring issues and we can't win every game by getting 3+ goals to overcome them. We need a way to grind out those 1-0 wins too. We really have nothing dangerous off the bench to worry any teams right now once our starting 11 gets tired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realistically since the season is done and we're trying people out, why not let Peruzza have a run up top and Ranjitsingh get a start in goal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realistically since the season is done and we're trying people out, why not let Peruzza have a run up top and Ranjitsingh get a start in goal.
    And sit Mike Bradley down

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And sit Mike Bradley down
    There's nobody to try out in his spot. Who would you put there? Nelson? Kosi?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be a great idea IMO. But maybe MLSE wants the illusion that this season can be saved to sell tickets so would prefer to trot out the usual bunch despite the fact that realistically they were never going to make it.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-22-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a long shot to make the playoffs to begin with, but Bono has all but made it impossible at this point.

A reliable starting goalkeeper has to be the number one priority this off season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It was a long shot to make the playoffs to begin with, but Bono has all but made it impossible at this point.

A reliable starting goalkeeper has to be the number one priority this off season.
    To go with this, barring trades of GKs that never happened, why even sign Ranjitsingh if he can't even get a look after the displays Bono has laid out over the past week? Anywhere else and that would equal a benching at least for a match. I get Westberg is out but if Ranjitsingh is so lowly viewed that he can't even start a match then we should have just called up Gavran on a hardship if any GKs went down.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nobody to try out in his spot. Who would you put there? Nelson? Kosi?
    If your asking me , then either of the two mentioned is fine with me, its too bad that we hired a coach that is blatantly showing his nepotism, he managed to have substitutes at every position this year but no cover for a 35 year old central midfielder which on most teams is the player that covers the most ground in a match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We lost this season in May and June, I can think of 5 games against bad teams where we dropped points.

The FO... pick one ["believed" that the kids might be good enough, if you are charitable] ["screwed up", if you are mad]. They hoped to eke out some results while waiting for the cavalry to show up, and it didn't happen.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your asking me , then either of the two mentioned is fine with me, its too bad that we hired a coach that is blatantly showing his nepotism, he managed to have substitutes at every position this year but no cover for a 35 year old central midfielder which on most teams is the player that covers the most ground in a match.
    I agree that he should take some rest since he will be back next season but currently, he looks fresher at 90 than some of the younger guys.

I don't think Kosi or Nelson can be responsible enough to play Bradley's spot. Maybe MAK but that kind of wastes what he brings. We should definitely be looking for the next midfielder for that spot this off season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To go with this, barring trades of GKs that never happened, why even sign Ranjitsingh if he can't even get a look after the displays Bono has laid out over the past week? Anywhere else and that would equal a benching at least for a match. I get Westberg is out but if Ranjitsingh is so lowly viewed that he can't even start a match then we should have just called up Gavran on a hardship if any GKs went down.
    To me this speaks to the nature of some of our secondary signings. None were a sure thing, some things worked, others didn’t.

MacNaughton has been a good gamble.
    Chung and Ranjitsingh entirely underwhelming

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked up Bono's salary and just about choked. USD $557K. His market value according to transfermarkt has declined by 2/3 since 2019 btw.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked up Bono's salary and just about choked. USD $557K. His market value according to transfermarkt has declined by 2/3 since 2019 btw.
    You should be able to get an average GK starter and his back up for that money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be able to get an average GK starter and his back up for that money.
    Former Houston prospect Kyle Morton appears to be hitting his best form in USLC, with 10 shutouts in 19 games so far this season. He’s 28 and stopping everything in sight. I imagine he’d cost us less than Bono’s salary for a year and he wouldn’t let in that howler from the other night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rest of the season needs to be playing the best side possible to see how the pieces fit. There’s also the matter of personal and club pride here after such a dismal display for the majority of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wonder what's going on with Peruzza. Is it still the attitude thing? Has he not learned yet? Is he still being punished for that one moment of petulance two years ago or whenever it was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Rest of the season needs to be playing the best side possible to see how the pieces fit. There’s also the matter of personal and club pride here after such a dismal display for the majority of the season.
    I’d look at some of the TFC2 players. They’ve turned their season around. And realistically, some of these guys we’ve signed to the first team have to realize if they don’t keep their foot on the gas the next player will step up and take their place.