Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I've been saying this for 5+ years already.

Every keeper under his watch has regressed year to year.
    Right! It's shocking how no one else has noticed this pattern from management.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.
    Very good. Worst mistake of the entire season. Doesn't even need to be false 9 but would probably be best here. Could also play Nelson's position since Kaye has missed so many games.

Oh Poz where art thou...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.
    Andi works for One Soccer which has nothing to do with MLSE, Bell or Roger's. In fact One Soccer is complaining to the CRTC that Roger's refuses to carry their station.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Very good. Worst mistake of the entire season. Doesn't even need to be false 9 but would probably be best here. Could also play Nelson's position since Kaye has missed so many games.

Oh Poz where art thou...
    You have to understand something
    the league does not want that scenerio you have just said
    tfc would be unbeatable. The league does not want that it wants parity so fans come out to see they’re team and spend money
    miami is a better team now
    tjats what the league wants
    Dont forget the league owns tfc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    tfc would be unbeatable. The league does not want that it wants parity so fans come out to see they’re team and spend money
    League doesn't own TFC. League owns the contracts of the players on TFC but only so it can continue to function as a single entity league to keep costs down for cheapos.

League can't control who teams sign or move and as much as they say they want parity, they'd love a solid dynasty to market the hell out of. Obviously they would prefer that team to be LAFC, LAG, or Miami (maybe Vegas if they come in) but in the meantime they sure like using our Italian players for their marketing blitzes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.

Oh Poz where art thou...
    No it wasn't. TFC needed the $150K GAM to move up from 22nd to 1st in the allocation list to get MAK in the end. Would you keep Pozuelo and lose MAK? Especially since Pozuelo was always going to leave for a free at the end of the year and making the playoffs would still be unlikely?

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I thought the standard theory (at least on Big Soccer) is that LAG/LAFC and NYCFC/NYRB get dodgy exemptions all the time from parity because MLS doesn't really want parity but wants Big Media Market Teams to win?

In reality trading Poz for GAM was a very sensible bit of work that would still have occurred in any other league, just structured as a sale. I doubt Don Garber phoned up Bob Bradley and said that TFC needed to trade away Pozuelo. That's not how MLS works.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-18-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League doesn't own TFC. League owns the contracts of the players on TFC but only so it can continue to function as a single entity league to keep costs down for cheapos.
    It's complicated. The league legally holds 51% of the shares of each subsidiary (TFC being legally a subsidiary division of MLS LLC), the Owner/Operator owns 49%. This has no practical effect in everyday operations, for TFC the Owner/Operator MLSE runs the team as their own subsidiary. This setup is there so that a rogue Owner/Operator can be forced out. If anyone wonders if that possibility is needed, take a quick look at the history of why the NHL replaced the National Hockey Association. MLS had some of the best lawyers set up their single-entity thing and it shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ey_Association

That doesn't mean that MLS F.O. dictates anything to clubs in their day-to-day operations. In fact no way would the Owners of the league stand for it today. Instead the Competition Committee creates standard rules that everyone must follow. Unfortunately, the majority of that committee happens to be the most cheapskate owner/operators in MLS.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-18-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of MAK, anyone know what his status is. Would be great to have another set of legs for Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England had 39 clearances in a single game. Typical trap game, where the bunkered team gets a couple of lucky breaks and steals a point.

Also, we completed a somewhat mind-boggling 599 passes at at 86% clip.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never count out a Bruce Arena couched team. Somehow, Old Brucie gets results
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Mi chiamano Mimmo!
    They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...
    His name is Mimmo, he's Napoletano...
    Played for Genoa, was their Capitano...

A fine - class addition to TFC.
    Fine command of the English language as well.

Another assist by that Michael guy ehh?
    '...gave a good ball to me'
    He’s been my favourite Italian so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a draw, but for evaluative purposes this was really a win.

We were excellent; New England’s bunker and shitty football didn’t matter; a keeper who will no longer be at the club next year cost us the game.

Last night the missing pieces (besides a keeper) were subs. Guys were clearly huffing and puffing through the last 15 minutes and there is no one anyone near quality to bring on. We complain about the strikers, but scoring goals really isn’t an issue right now. Rotation is. Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Fundamentally, yeah, defending and Bono… we can’t win every game 3-2 or 4-3.

This is a tougher league than it used to be. New England is an average time but gave us fits. They conceded possession strategically which made us feel more “dominant” than we were. They were well organized, marked well, played the counter, didn’t give us much time or space in the final third, and exposed our lack of time together.

Also why did Gonzalez have to pick last night to make his best play ever at BMO?

Also Insigne was, it has to be said, very noticeable in his … passing. Not in good ways.
    Omar, man, he saved a clear goal. And NE may be middling but they’ve lost only twice (NYFC and Philly) since April….

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.
    Probably a better move but would depend on how they change the MLS mechanisms with all this new money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andi works for One Soccer which has nothing to do with MLSE, Bell or Roger's. In fact One Soccer is complaining to the CRTC that Roger's refuses to carry their station.
    Split of a hair.
    IIRC, she was still a part of the Bell/TSN organization within this past year when she 'moved on'?
    There may have been a verbal agreement or even a negotiated (package) clause in her deal/s with them, or MLSE previously, relating to his 'continued' employment.
    Without understanding Conway's terms of employment- contract length, he may now be deemed as non-renewable or expired.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-18-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Terrible blunder from Bono, although let's not forget he also came up big during the game. He's also been decent enough this past month and saved our skin on several occasions. It would be foolish to make decisions based on one single play.

The biggest prblem is our strikers, especially JJ, who's done nothing for far too long. Starting Akinola was a slight improvement. For the next DP spot, I'm on the fence between a striker or CB, leaning more towards a CB.
    My thought would be people occasionally strike gold with a CB on TAM money and plenty of TAM CB’s are solid. For a striker on TAM you can get someone who sometimes reliably bangs in goals based on great service but rarely would you find an outright star. For that reason I’d use the DP spot on the striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This was a draw, but for evaluative purposes this was really a win.

We were excellent; New England’s bunker and shitty football didn’t matter; a keeper who will no longer be at the club next year cost us the game.

Last night the missing pieces (besides a keeper) were subs. Guys were clearly huffing and puffing through the last 15 minutes and there is no one anyone near quality to bring on. We complain about the strikers, but scoring goals really isn’t an issue right now. Rotation is. Last night made me think the long-term solution is young money signings instead of a 3rd DP.
    The young DP way doesn’t sound like our/Manning’s way. I think there’s still a desire to make the academy come good rather than sign kids from outside, as well as no need to make money on transfer fees, and on the other hand, the wealth of the media ownership screams splashy signings.

More than whether we sign a DP striker or defender, I’m curious to know what depth we sign. Bradley is really going to have to do well there if we’re going to be really good over a season. And as much as I’d hate to see it, best might be to not make the playoffs and give everyone a rest, BB time to wear his Sporting Director hat and come back strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My thought would be people occasionally strike gold with a CB on TAM money and plenty of TAM CB’s are solid. For a striker on TAM you can get someone who sometimes reliably bangs in goals based on great service but rarely would you find an outright star. For that reason I’d use the DP spot on the striker
    Yeah, I agree. There is no need to sign a DP centre-half in this league. Unless you’re maneuvering to be rid of a certain mistake of a DP winger, that is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way Bono can be this bad (he actually had a decent run of games leading up to this). In fact there's no way all our GKs can be this bad. The only constant remains - goalkeeping coach Jon Conway. Get rid of him already.
    Nothing wrong with Conway, an under 16 keeper makes those saves, Bono is on his farewell tour from here on , most probably out of soccer next year

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Nepotism at its worst. It’s okay to hire friends and family when they do a good job, but he’s clearly not. Maybe with Apple taking over next year this cycle can be broken? I guess it all depends on whether Andi is able to stay employed in some capacity. There is no doubt that keeper has been the weakest position on the team since Frei left.

The defence needs an overhaul this off-season, but at least games are exciting again! Also, Nelson playing much better is giving me hope that maybe more of the kids can improve in the new setup.
    Not doing a good job and Nepotism like when TFC hired Bob after he ran LAFC down the toilet last year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Not doing a good job and Nepotism like when TFC hired Bob after he ran LAFC down the toilet last year?
    You mean ran them down because Thorrington blew all the new club allocation money in years one & two so they had to move on a lot of their better players to be cap compliant?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean ran them down because Thorrington blew all the new club allocation money in years one & two so they had to move on a lot of their better players to be cap compliant?
    And with Bradley gone didnt take LAFC too long to get back on top of the standings

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No it wasn't. TFC needed the $150K GAM to move up from 22nd to 1st in the allocation list to get MAK in the end. Would you keep Pozuelo and lose MAK? Especially since Pozuelo was always going to leave for a free at the end of the year and making the playoffs would still be unlikely.
    TFC had a boatload of GAM/TAM saved up. They could have sold anything or anyone for a small 150k if they really needed that little bit more.

Knowing that Kaye was partially injured/recovering when the deal for him was made keeping Poz was also sensible. Poz's intelligence to be able to play with Insigne, Bernardeschi, and support Jimenez etc would be more beneficial to the team IMO. And Poz did say he would also come back at a smaller contract. He also wouldn't make a direct eastern conference playoff opponent better. Deal for Kaye could have also been done in off-season, not like we are getting that much out of him since his injury has resurfaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.
    But she works for One Soccer, no? How is she involved with MLSE and-or Bogers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC had a boatload of GAM/TAM saved up. They could have sold anything or anyone for a small 150k if they really needed that little bit more.

Knowing that Kaye was partially injured/recovering when the deal for him was made keeping Poz was also sensible. Poz's intelligence to be able to play with Insigne, Bernardeschi, and support Jimenez etc would be more beneficial to the team IMO. And Poz did say he would also come back at a smaller contract. He also wouldn't make a direct eastern conference playoff opponent better. Deal for Kaye could have also been done in off-season, not like we are getting that much out of him since his injury has resurfaced.
    If it was a fantasy game, yes, but in the real, Poz was unhappy and wanted to go to Miami and our manager was totally focussed on getting things to work well with who he wanted here.

Ideally, we send him to the western conference but that wasn’t really on either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    And with Bradley gone didnt take LAFC too long to get back on top of the standings
    In 2020 and 21 when LAFC struggled Vela played 424 minutes and 1,267 minutes. This season he's up to 1,800 minutes. There's your answer for what happened.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    If it was a fantasy game, yes, but in the real, Poz was unhappy and wanted to go to Miami and our manager was totally focussed on getting things to work well with who he wanted here.

Ideally, we send him to the western conference but that wasn’t really on either.
    And not long before he said that to Miami media he was telling us he wanted to be here and would come back for less and he was excited to be able to play with Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And not long before he said that to Miami media he was telling us he wanted to be here and would come back for less and he was excited to be able to play with Insigne.
    He was our most expensive player with the responsibilities that come with that. He’s never going to flat out state he wants to be gone. But he wasn’t adapting, wasn’t being used properly. It was obvious that the fit wasn’t good. You don’t shoehorn him into a false nine under those circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    In 2020 and 21 when LAFC struggled Vela played 424 minutes and 1,267 minutes. This season he's up to 1,800 minutes. There's your answer for what happened.
    Zimmerman was let go as well. That was pretty obviously going to be trouble.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice the people in here still arguing that Bradley is a crappy coach are the ones who think we can rent players for 6 months....

20 & 21 were also covid years