Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really starting to come around to the idea that we would do well to get a DP GK - someone around 25 - 27 who we can keep long-term, that we know is going to be drama free for 5 - 7 years.

Like, maybe this is wishful thinking, but imagine we could lure Zach Steffan back. Or maybe make a big move for Dayne St. Clair (I thought we really should've tried to get him this past off-season).

Is this total pie-in-the-sky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm really starting to come around to the idea that we would do well to get a DP GK - someone around 25 - 27 who we can keep long-term, that we know is going to be drama free for 5 - 7 years.

Like, maybe this is wishful thinking, but imagine we could lure Zach Steffan back. Or maybe make a big move for Dayne St. Clair (I thought we really should've tried to get him this past off-season).

Probably. I’m still mystified as to why we didn’t choose St. Clair in the draft. Except that we favoured heavily the upstanding All-American type (not unlike Vanney himself)… that would, of course, rule out Canadians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I enjoyed the game. It's fun seeing the team overall play much better, and see nice flowing football. I'm not going to sweat the season and be upset if we don't have playoffs. Next season will be different, of course.
    I wish I had this attitude, I might have been the most miserable guy in the stadium last night, even after Chricito’s goal all I could think was who cares we still need one more. Then spent the car ride home cursing Bono to no end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least it wasn't a loss. Playoffs are still possible.
    Yeah still possible, big missed opportunity though since the Revs have a game in hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fundamentally, yeah, defending and Bono… we can’t win every game 3-2 or 4-3.

This is a tougher league than it used to be. New England is an average time but gave us fits. They conceded possession strategically which made us feel more “dominant” than we were. They were well organized, marked well, played the counter, didn’t give us much time or space in the final third, and exposed our lack of time together.

Also why did Gonzalez have to pick last night to make his best play ever at BMO?

Also Insigne was, it has to be said, very noticeable in his … passing. Not in good ways.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-18-2022 at 06:14 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from being almost dead last and in one summer transfer window were unbeaten in 5

For January:
    New striker DP
    CBs coming in
    GK

2023 we are going to kick ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Fundamentally, yeah, defending and Bono… we can’t win every game 3-2 or 4-3.

This is a tougher league than it used to be. New England is an average time but gave us fits. They conceded possession strategically which made us feel more “dominant” than we were. They were well organized, marked well, played the counter, didn’t give us much time or space in the final third, and exposed our lack of time together.

Also why did Gonzalez have to pick last night to make his best play ever at BMO?

Also Insigne was, it has to be said, very noticeable in his … passing. Not in good ways.
    I was writing a post but this said it better. One thing that gives me hope is that apart from the philly and montreal games all other teams we play will be trying desperately to win. Lot of 5-4's for us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I wish I had this attitude, I might have been the most miserable guy in the stadium last night, even after Chricito’s goal all I could think was who cares we still need one more. Then spent the car ride home cursing Bono to no end
    In the tunnel people were saying it was Bono’s fault the loss
    a lot of Bono bashing
    Expected goal chart the first goal had a 4% probability of scoring from that position
    And the second goal the scoring probability was 2% from the area he took the shot
    8/1000 probability if you take two shots from those spots you will score two goals
    stop with nonsense drivel here call a spade a spade it was all Bono’s fault and to a lesser degree ok mafnifico
    if we can still call him that after last night
    upon sober reflection this morning I am dumbfounded as to how Insigne could play so poorly
    there was one play in particular that is etched in my mind
    he intercepted a ball in NER half Bernie made a run easy quick pass to Bernie would have resulted in a great scoring chance. He did not make the pass he held onto it dribbled and took a shot right at the keeper from distance
    Last edited by stevep; 08-18-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In retrospect I think this really was a must win considering its a 3 game week, it was at home, we played our best 11 again, and our third game is in Florida in August. Even getting a point in Miami will be tough, especially with Poz probably wanting revenge, and 5 points is below the very high standard we need to make the playoffs. Lolo and Oso especially looked gassed and as a pretty direct consequence we didn't have enough incisive movement in the box or good final passes. And there's nothing to add about Bono. On the bright side I thought this was Nelson's best game yet. His improvement the last few games has been remarkable

It was always a long shot to make the post season this year so as long as we look good (which we do) we'll be in good shape for next year

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    call a spade a spade it was all Bono’s fault
    You're right, this one is on Bono 100%. Every team we play I watch the opposing GK and we haven't faced any that I wouldn't swap Bono for. If he isn't the worst starting GK in MLS now then he is for sure pretty close.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The up until this point positives:

For sure Bradley & Manning know we need a new GK and Bono is done.
    Nelson finally showing progress.
    MacNaughton looks like a solid MLS CB.
    The Italians are doing good but not 'tearing the league apart' so that is a better look if we aim for more of them this winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea not sure why everyone is mad.

Since the DP's started we are undefeated. Team is exciting to watch and if we have this same team from the start of the season we are easily in a playoff spot. TFC in June going down a goal would have caved. This team shows fight.

Nelson and MacNaughton growing every game.

Insigne was off last night but folks need to remember - the guy hasn't had a full off season in 2 years now, with the Euro Cup last summer and jumping from a full SerieA campaign to MLS this one. Same with Berna. There are going to be games where they both look totally gassed.

I am actually hoping they both stay uninjured. That amount of load with so little rest is risky.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the highlights from last night: https://youtu.be/ahemp-ApKb8
    I'm not going to try and defend Bono, but on that first goal (around 3 min mark) I know he probably should have scooped and grabbed the first chance but he didn't and it spilled for 2 more shots. Would any of this not have fallen on Mavinga just standing there watching as McNamara keeps getting chances? Mimo noticed it got spilled and ran to the goal line to try and block any other shots towards the net but was unsuccessful while Mavinga just stood and watched McNamara keep hitting the ball. I get he probably was expecting Bono to pick it up or smother it but anyways..

On the second goal I kept watching the replay last night, now I'm not a keeper and don't have any formal training and such so maybe someone who has had some training in the area could comment. But when you are trying to set yourself as a keeper and someone is coming in on you, i get being on your toes..but Bono is just jumping up and down constantly. Is this something they train you to do? If the ball gets hit while you are in the air (which it did), it's impossible to then land and plant yourself in order to move quickly enough to do anything when they are shooting from that close. You can see he jumps as he is hitting it and the ball is pretty much passing him as he tries to land and move again.

It was probably the first match I didn't actually hate watching Nelson play. He is getting much better playing in that role and he had two sublime passes, the one to Ayo and a nice long ball for Berna to run onto.

I know it's been said but I'll repeat it because I had to stop counting after 7 or so miss placed passes by Insigne, he just played so poorly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way Bono can be this bad (he actually had a decent run of games leading up to this). In fact there's no way all our GKs can be this bad. The only constant remains - goalkeeping coach Jon Conway. Get rid of him already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Here are the highlights from last night: https://youtu.be/ahemp-ApKb8
    I'm not going to try and defend Bono, but on that first goal (around 3 min mark) I know he probably should have scooped and grabbed the first chance but he didn't and it spilled for 2 more shots. Would any of this not have fallen on Mavinga just standing there watching as McNamara keeps getting chances? Mimo noticed it got spilled and ran to the goal line to try and block any other shots towards the net but was unsuccessful while Mavinga just stood and watched McNamara keep hitting the ball. I get he probably was expecting Bono to pick it up or smother it but anyways..

On the second goal I kept watching the replay last night, now I'm not a keeper and don't have any formal training and such so maybe someone who has had some training in the area could comment. But when you are trying to set yourself as a keeper and someone is coming in on you, i get being on your toes..but Bono is just jumping up and down constantly. Is this something they train you to do? If the ball gets hit while you are in the air (which it did), it's impossible to then land and plant yourself in order to move quickly enough to do anything when they are shooting from that close. You can see he jumps as he is hitting it and the ball is pretty much passing him as he tries to land and move again.

It was probably the first match I didn't actually hate watching Nelson play. He is getting much better playing in that role and he had two sublime passes, the one to Ayo and a nice long ball for Berna to run onto.

I know it's been said but I'll repeat it because I had to stop counting after 7 or so miss placed passes by Insigne, he just played so poorly.
    Bono absolutely should have stopped the second. Petrovic saves that all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mi chiamano Mimmo!
    They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...
    His name is Mimmo, he's Napoletano...
    Played for Genoa, was their Capitano...

A fine - class addition to TFC.
    Fine command of the English language as well.

Another assist by that Michael guy ehh?
    '...gave a good ball to me'

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're still a work in progress, as last night showed.

completely dominant yet gave away 2 goals and couldnt finish or break down their 10 man defence often enough.

we need 2 new starting CBs, a GK, and a DP striker next year.

plus midfield depth. i think it'll happen though.

mavinga + bono + westberg make about 2 mill combined, that's a ton in this league, all out of contract this offseason. mavinga has been alright recently but for 1 mill + your defender should be at the top of MLS and he...isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As is the case write most MLS goals it’s rarely one thing or person.

On goal number one Laryea does an awful job of closing out. Bono spills the ball. CB’s slow to clear.

Goal #2 Nelson lets his man walk inside too easily. Arguably Osorio should have got closer to the passer but overall that setup should be fine as the whole defence is positioned to push NE wide. Laryea’s positioning along the backline is out of whack and he’s keeping guys onside. Macnaughton slightly slow to read the play and recover. And of course Bono blows it letting in a goal from a bad angle.

Bono the most obvious downfall but quite a few others not covering themselves in glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    we're still a work in progress, as last night showed.

completely dominant yet gave away 2 goals and couldnt finish or break down their 10 man defence often enough.

we need 2 new starting CBs, a GK, and a DP striker next year.

plus midfield depth. i think it'll happen though.

mavinga + bono + westberg make about 2 mill combined, that's a ton in this league, all out of contract this offseason. mavinga has been alright recently but for 1 mill + your defender should be at the top of MLS and he...isn't.

BB and Manning are definitely all over our weak spots right now, sure they are collecting possible names.

That said man - this team is exciting. If we had a DP striker we bury more goals in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    There's no way Bono can be this bad (he actually had a decent run of games leading up to this). In fact there's no way all our GKs can be this bad. The only constant remains - goalkeeping coach Jon Conway. Get rid of him already.
    I've been saying this for 5+ years already.

Every keeper under his watch has regressed year to year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since our strikers are doing nothing, is it crazy to play Akinola/Jiminez on the right wing and try Bernadeschi in the middle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Since our strikers are doing nothing, is it crazy to play Akinola/Jiminez on the right wing and try Bernadeschi in the middle
    Going by the form of JJ & Ayo why not toss Peruzza out there for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I can't stop thinking what would our offense be like if we had only held on to Poz for at least the rest of this season and played him as a false nine between LI and Berna.
    it'd be bad, we're lacking movement in behind, he'd just clog up the same spaces insigne and berna play in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think is a pie-in-the-sky, and anyways, we do not need to sacrifice a DP spot for a keeper, but just an "international" spot.

There are a truckload of a lot better, experienced keepers than Bono, not older than 27, credited with values between 500,000-800,000 Euros at Transfermarkt from first divisions of countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, maybe France 2 and Italy 2, etc.
    I think these should be our selection target areas for a good, dependable keeper, who we can go with for 5-6 seasons.

And, very importantly, latest in the winter off-season we need to replace our current goalkeeper coach, who seems is with TFC forever, and is doing a lousy job.
    It seems that the best he could do is a goalkeeper not regressing, but most our keepers regressed at TFC under his coaching.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I think is a pie-in-the-sky, and anyways, we do not need to sacrifice a DP spot for a keeper, but just an "international" spot.

There are a truckload of a lot better, experienced keepers than Bono, not older than 27, credited with values between 500,000-800,000 Euros at Transfermarkt from first divisions of countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, maybe France 2 and Italy 2, etc.
    I think these should be our selection target areas for a good, dependable keeper, who we can go with for 5-6 seasons.

And, very importantly, latest in the winter off-season we need to replace our current goalkeeper coach, who seems is with TFC forever, and is doing a lousy job.
    It seems that the best he could do is a goalkeeper not regressing, but most our keepers regressed at TFC under his coaching.
    Much of the coaching is the through-line that has existed throughout the latter Vanney - Armas/Perez - Bradley line right now. I think that there's finally a new strength+conditioning coach in Steven Haines but the fact that Conway is still here and not identified as one of the people holding onto past glory is odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Not going to happen - he's married to Andi Petrillo. It's one case where the Bogers/MLSE dynamic is not favourable to TFC.
    Nepotism at its worst. It’s okay to hire friends and family when they do a good job, but he’s clearly not. Maybe with Apple taking over next year this cycle can be broken? I guess it all depends on whether Andi is able to stay employed in some capacity. There is no doubt that keeper has been the weakest position on the team since Frei left.

The defence needs an overhaul this off-season, but at least games are exciting again! Also, Nelson playing much better is giving me hope that maybe more of the kids can improve in the new setup.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 08-18-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible blunder from Bono, although let's not forget he also came up big during the game. He's also been decent enough this past month and saved our skin on several occasions. It would be foolish to make decisions based on one single play.

The biggest prblem is our strikers, especially JJ, who's done nothing for far too long. Starting Akinola was a slight improvement. For the next DP spot, I'm on the fence between a striker or CB, leaning more towards a CB.