Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about it, I wonder if BB purposefully set up the backline to fail against the worst team in the east (or is that now TFC?) in order to shove it's weakness in the face of the FO and force Manning and management to get new backline players this window. It's like BB knew this would be the result (assuming he has been clamouring for new defensive players) and probably puts Manning's feet to the fire and stop dragging them in the trade market. I wouldn't be surprised if Manning is let go before Bradley is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Transfermarket Mavinga's contract expires Dec 31 2022.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Thinking about it, I wonder if BB purposefully set up the backline to fail against the worst team in the east (or is that now TFC?) in order to shove it's weakness in the face of the FO and force Manning and management to get new backline players this window. It's like BB knew this would be the result (assuming he has been clamouring for new defensive players) and probably puts Manning's feet to the fire and stop dragging them in the trade market. I wouldn't be surprised if Manning is let go before Bradley is.
    BB is the sporting director so wouldn't he directly be involved in player acquisitions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It must be galling for Shaff after three goals, three assists last season to be behind Jayden who, as one-dimensional as Shaff is, produces a fraction of the danger.
    And I remember back when the WTR crew was saying to enjoy Nelsen while we can because he had one foot in Europe already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    As also the "sporting director", isn't Bradley considered to be the gm of the team?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    As also the "sporting director", isn't Bradley considered to be the gm of the team?
    we live in North America, if an owner or someone above him wants to fuck around to look good to the bosses, they will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone should have known how the season was going to go. No FBs or wingers, an aging MB, injured CBs or just plain missing games, uncertainty with GKs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BB and Manning let go if this continues for rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of these losses would be happening if Michael Friisdahl were still in charge of MLSE!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/st...c5h6vMDDQ&s=19

If true, I hope Mavinga feels better. He knows he's holding the team back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/st...c5h6vMDDQ&s=19

If true, I hope Mavinga feels better. He knows he's holding the team back.
    Like so many folks, he has struggled with his mental health, since his early days at Liverpool. I hope whatever's affecting him gives him a break soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Coach’s son taking free kicks for TFC is the most Ontario soccer thing

Lol🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw highlights only but it would difficult to argue that the starting 11 was anything but a last place team no matter who the coach is. Of course, the coach is also the sporting director… but hopefully we’ll have three or four more players soon. Man, at least two of them really should be defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Like so many folks, he has struggled with his mental health, since his early days at Liverpool. I hope whatever's affecting him gives him a break soon.
    Yeah, seconded. And he’s certainly had very good years for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there was any choice as to whom was playing CB last night. We only have 3 with a +1 in Criscito.

Seen this before in 2015 - Perquis was supposed to be our defensive rock - didn't work out. Kantari was supposed to be a jolt of freshness & capability - nope.

This year - Mavinga regains his form in his last year of his contract & Salcedo is the rock.

Didn't happen.

BB isn't stupid so I would think they are looking for defensive replacements. The problem is every team in the league knows TFC is in need in the back and is going to jack up the price for their castoffs. Unfortunately, the window for CB's domestically is stronger in the winter window. So that leaves us with spending TAM or a DP slot on a CB - and that is...tricky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

BB isn't stupid so I would think they are looking for defensive replacements. The problem is every team in the league knows TFC is in need in the back and is going to jack up the price for their castoffs. Unfortunately, the window for CB's domestically is stronger in the winter window. So that leaves us with spending TAM or a DP slot on a CB - and that is...tricky.
    I know he isn't the answer but if we could get Henry for a non-anchor contract, I would for now. He is coming off $400K so if we could get him for around what Zavaleta got at his peak and for 18 months or so, I would do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding it very hard to watch this team at the moment. Might have to plug back in later on when the new signings are on the field.

Not sold on Bradley as a manger and increasingly skeptical. DP’s and new signings will paper over the flaws but the team won’t reach its potential. It’s easy to understand why LAFC failed in the playoffs given his tactical inflexibility. Vela and others was enough to trump most teams in the regular season but in a competitive fixture in the playoffs? A good opposing game plan and a competitive tie means a Bradley managed team is handicapped.

Even Brazil came around to the fact they can’t just play one formation and toss 11 guys the ball and say “go play”. It’s arrogant to think such a simple approach will work here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t understand why Bob didn’t start a stronger team last night. It might have resulted in the team weathering the first half and possibly salvaging a point. I guess it was more important to test the kids again and see if they could start a game well?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure we could compete in CPL with the team that played last night. That is what it felt like anyway. Probably the worst game I have watched TFC play in a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not sold on Bradley as a manger and increasingly skeptical. DP’s and new signings will paper over the flaws but the team won’t reach its potential. It’s easy to understand why LAFC failed in the playoffs given his tactical inflexibility.
    I watched all those matches and they lost because they always had Bono level GKs. It's true pure offense can get shut down in the playoffs and they did somewhat but you still need a legit GK to help you out at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I know he isn't the answer but if we could get Henry for a non-anchor contract, I would for now. He is coming off $400K so if we could get him for around what Zavaleta got at his peak and for 18 months or so, I would do it
    Auro for Henry? 'Relatively' easy? Maybe some GAM? 25-50K?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched all those matches and they lost because they always had Bono level GKs. It's true pure offense can get shut down in the playoffs and they did somewhat but you still need a legit GK to help you out at times.
    I still feel the under performance tag stands. Remember we won a MLS cup with Bono in net, other teams have gotten far with pretty meddling keepers.

It’s all a matter of how you can organize yourself to accentuate your strengths and hide weaknesses and to a certain degree adjust to the other team’s game plan.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-14-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Auro for Henry? 'Relatively' easy? Maybe some GAM? 25-50K?
    Henry was released last week so no need for any move to get him other than a contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe we can find a zimmerman type with the 1st over all pick if we finish last this season...ohhi i forgot we traded that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still feel the under performance tag stands. Remember we won a MLS cup with Bono in net, other teams have gotten far with pretty meddling keepers.

It’s all a matter of how you can organize yourself to accentuate your strengths and hide weaknesses and to a certain degree adjust to the other team’s game plan.
    In 2017 we were built as a more defensive team that could hit fast on the counter with Seba & take advantage of set pieces, like Seattle has always done. We defended pretty good as a unit too thusly a lot of 'bend but not break' defending. LAFC was pure attack and that's fine. Realistically it probably is destined to mostly fail in a playoff but they did make the CCL final with it. One thing Bob never had in LAFC was a complete spine so hopefully we get that here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding it very hard to watch this team at the moment. Might have to plug back in later on when the new signings are on the field.

Not sold on Bradley as a manger and increasingly skeptical. DP’s and new signings will paper over the flaws but the team won’t reach its potential. It’s easy to understand why LAFC failed in the playoffs given his tactical inflexibility. Vela and others was enough to trump most teams in the regular season but in a competitive fixture in the playoffs? A good opposing game plan and a competitive tie means a Bradley managed team is handicapped.

Even Brazil came around to the fact they can’t just play one formation and toss 11 guys the ball and say “go play”. It’s arrogant to think such a simple approach will work here.
    i agree ....rolodex bill strikes again

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yeah last night was pretty awful and hard to watch. Was thankful for Mavinga tweeting out that he was sorry for his performance as it was pretty terrible. I get he probably has things going on in his life and mental issues is one thing but then if he isn't mentally prepared he shouldn't be getting on the pitch.
    I watched the clip of him coming off the field over and over to see if i could see what they were saying (i'm no lip reader either haha) but it looked like Mavinga said he didn't want to play. and Bob looked like he said to the trainer did you even look at him? but that above tweet said something to the effect of do you believe that..so could have been anything lol just my two cents. They showed a shot of him on the bench and I didn't see any ice or compression on his legs, so not likely injury related even though he was limping on the way to the bench...?

Edit: One more thing, as I said I know mental issues are a huge discussion and hard to bring up. If he is willing to tell the world through twitter though you would think he could tell management and discuss those kinds of things. Even one of the best goalies in Carey Price only played 5 games last year due to mental health and that's coming off of a Stanley cup finals performance.
    Last edited by 613reppingTFC; 07-14-2022 at 09:15 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just frustrating at this point - we KNOW what the problems are, we're just not doing anything about it - and maybe the winter window is better but it's gonna be a bit of struggle to get there.

The youth experiment is officially over to me. We know the players we're probably going to be able to build around/rely on for short sprints. Their names are Luca Petrasso, DeAndre Kerr, Ayo Akinola, and in a REAL PINCH, Jacob Shaffelburg. The rest have to be on the trade block.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2017 we were built as a more defensive team that could hit fast on the counter with Seba & take advantage of set pieces, like Seattle has always done. We defended pretty good as a unit too thusly a lot of 'bend but not break' defending. LAFC was pure attack and that's fine. Realistically it probably is destined to mostly fail in a playoff but they did make the CCL final with it. One thing Bob never had in LAFC was a complete spine so hopefully we get that here.
    Yeah fair enough. Their CB situation was always a bit suspect post Zimmerman.

Anyway, i really would like things to work out here. There are a lot of pieces to be excited about if we can round out the roster. Guess I just assumed we’d be in better shape by this point and not be on the verge of elimination from the post season before LI even steps on the field.

Losing to last place Chicago and tieing SJ at home was a colossal kick in the nuts.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-14-2022 at 09:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    This is just frustrating at this point - we KNOW what the problems are, we're just not doing anything about it - and maybe the winter window is better but it's gonna be a bit of struggle to get there.

The youth experiment is officially over to me. We know the players we're probably going to be able to build around/rely on for short sprints. Their names are Luca Petrasso, DeAndre Kerr, Ayo Akinola, and in a REAL PINCH, Jacob Shaffelburg. The rest have to be on the trade block.
    I know Nelson can be frustrating to watch at times but I think in some games he played he created more offensive chances than most. His problem is his decision making at times and other times he does a ton to get down the field but then just seems to run out of ideas at the critical moments. I feel with maturity and time working with our vets coming in that he could be someone for the future and I think that is why BB is trying to give him a lot of minutes because he sees the potential as well. I would not get rid of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I know Nelson can be frustrating to watch at times but I think in some games he played he created more offensive chances than most. His problem is his decision making at times and other times he does a ton to get down the field but then just seems to run out of ideas at the critical moments. I feel with maturity and time working with our vets coming in that he could be someone for the future and I think that is why BB is trying to give him a lot of minutes because he sees the potential as well. I would not get rid of him.

bet365 has tfc 100:1 to win mls cup
    translated this means tfc not making playoffs or extremely unlikely
    same script used at 2018 season