Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Why are some of you here if you can't handle the downs of being a soccer fan? Serious question.
    I can "handle" it...if you are talking about me? I paid to watch that crap and want to vent. I expect a lot more. If the mods think my posts aren't allowed, they'll let me know. Not sure why you are trying to "cancel" me. If you don't like what you read, no problem but I will post as I like until/unless the Mods say otherwise. We all want the best for this team after all and it is a place to voice one's opinions.

The great thing about this board is all opinions are allowed. Its not an echo chamber like the handful of posters left at wtr where you have to tow the party line or else....

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Hala all your comments are spot on , absolute gold keep up your critique of this team, the kids , Bill Manning, Bob Bradley, Bradley Jr all poor excuses for Soccer players, coaches, executives. How you describe the state of what’s happening with this club is closest to reality then anything other posters are saying. Keep up it up Brother
    Thanks brother. Love your posts as well. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Why are some of you here if you can't handle the downs of being a soccer fan? Serious question.
    Just block them, dude. Trolls be trolls

If all you ever offer is crticism, you don't take part in the community except after a loss or to call for people to be fired, you're a troll. This is a fan community. If you aren't taking part in both sides and seeing the team with any nuance... you're a troll.

These people already know how annoyign they are. They showed up regular on WTR, they show up on Reddit. They are incapable of having a nuanced conversation. They will simply see any comment that doesn't reflect utter negativity as stupid or an attack, because they have no interest in what others here have to say.

They're just here to vent. Which, of course, no other human being wants to listen to as a continual stream. It's miserable.

But they don't care that they're ruining the conversation for numerous others, that some of the best posters on this board -- Ensco, anyone, Coach, Jack? -- no longer come here because they're sick of dealing with juvenile whiners without anything positive to say.

They're not hear to engage you, they're here to vent. So don't give them the satisfaction. Block them and make sure you login when you visit. Eventually, when no one takes part on the whine fest, they'll take it somewhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bradley's answer to a question about Poz is very interesting - starting at minute 5.

"We do everything to give him the chance to be the chance creator"

BB's pressers & discussion of tactics is very instructive.
    It’s very hard to be the creator of the chance as Poz always is, and then be expected to somehow also finish that chance you’ve created for your supporting players. He can’t put a pass on a platter and suddenly turn into that receiving player and finish the play. Instead, the chance goes wasted over and over.

I’m in full agreement with a few of the recent comments about too many kids at once. This is so obviously true, it’s painful. And a direct result of this is Poz being isolated without any support and doing too much. He’s not the problem, his play is reflective of the true problem, which is a severe shortage of any sort of quality around him(don’t care if they are kids or not - that’s not what I’m arguing).

I’m sorry, but put that argument to bed about Poz being the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both this game and NY, it felt like we were set up wrong, players too spaced from each other all game, no one playing as unit.

It's no one player, it's that we usually have three or four who just aren't ready for this level. Nelson helps up with speed, but his decision making is terrible. Kerr is inconsistent, offensively talented but unsure of his role or where to be; Kosi is not a fullback and probably never will be. He's a primarily offensive player that we're trying to turn defensive.

Luca is not athletic or strong enough, he's basically rookie Oso just in a different positon, a good two years and twenty pounds of muscle from being effective all the time.

We can't play in a 'two' upfront if we're serving up all our danger balls from the top corners and never wide, as other teams will just set up in a low block.

Wide play forces defenders out of position to cover the width of the field. We have none. We work it inside EVERY time. We go to the near danger zones at the top corners of the box EVERY time. It's entirely predictable and easy to shut down by playing a counter against us with wide speed.

So it's not just the kids; it's the kids playing in a system that so far does not adjust or adapt to opponents. Perhaps that's because BB doesn't feel they can handle more than one tactical look right now, but I suspect it's more BB attempt to force a type of play that sometimes is not sufficient in variety to the task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    It’s very hard to be the creator of the chance as Poz always is, and then be expected to somehow also finish that chance you’ve created for your supporting players. He can’t put a pass on a platter and suddenly turn into that receiving player and finish the play. Instead, the chance goes wasted over and over.

I’m in full agreement with a few of the recent comments about too many kids at once. This is so obviously true, it’s painful. And a direct result of this is Poz being isolated without any support and doing too much. He’s not the problem, his play is reflective of the true problem, which is a severe shortage of any sort of quality around him(don’t care if they are kids or not - that’s not what I’m arguing).

I’m sorry, but put that argument to bed about Poz being the problem.
    Well said. Poz and Jesus are all we've got. They can't work miracles. Hopefully with Insigne they can at least work as a trio and do their thing. No point dishing off the ball to the kids who can't do anything with it other than lose it or pass it back. We need to attack and hopefully outscore teams when LI comes...as defensively all our problems will remain. But at least we will be on the front foot and in LI and Poz will always have the best players on the field no matter who we play other than Bale in LA if he bothers to care.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

We can't play in a 'two' upfront if we're serving up all our danger balls from the top corners and never wide, as other teams will just set up in a low block.

Wide play forces defenders out of position to cover the width of the field. We have none. We work it inside EVERY time. We go to the near danger zones at the top corners of the box EVERY time. It's entirely predictable and easy to shut down by playing a counter against us with wide speed.

So it's not just the kids; it's the kids playing in a system that so far does not adjust or adapt to opponents. Perhaps that's because BB doesn't feel they can handle more than one tactical look right now, but I suspect it's more BB attempt to force a type of play that sometimes is not sufficient in variety to the task.
    This is my concern.

The system BB is playing is the one he used at LAFC. It also works really well with Insigne's stregths (and Hoillet's if that were to happen) so we will see how this goes in the next few weeks. Not sure how it works with the current strikers we have though.

LAFC had a bit of pace on the wide with Blessing in order to keep defences honest.

BB's presser indicated that the ball movement was way slower then he would prefer. I still maintain a lot of that is on how Poz has begun to play the last few years. Others on here disagree but...that's why we talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Making key passes means setting up players for a shot. None of what you're saying at all holds up to the fact that almost every shot we've had this season has been from pozuelo. If his slowing down of the play was so ineffective, he wouldn't be creating chances at a rate beaten by only a handful of players in the league despite having a bad team with not many threats to pass too who don't have the balance of play more often than not. What your saying is just factually incorrect, it can't be true at the rate of chances he creates. Whatever he's doing is statistically effective. He's a play maker who makes plays, sets up chances, assists and scores goals
    I have to disagree. Both things can be - and are - true. Poz can create the most chances (because he is a good player and is playing in a position that offers him that opportunity) and be slowing things down by keeping possession too long (as several of us think he is). One touch soccer is what the team needs; Poz is often taking 5 or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a similar argument on other forums. The best way to help and support these kids and by extention Canadian soccer is not to throw these kids out there amongst seasoned pros and showering them with false praise all the while blaming the seasoned players or foreigners for the loses. Seasoned players, who have proven themselves already through awards and acclaim or in some case international experience, are being singled out when we lose but with some ppl, these kids can do no wrong and have to protected from criticism and any kind of fair assessement of their abilities and potential.

I have been to so many international matches involving Canada that I have lost count, and I have also travelled many times to see Canada play. I would never have bought season seats on the morning of the first ever sale for TFC Season seats way back in 2006 or 2007 if i didnt think that there wouldnt be benefits to our international fortunes in having a team in MLS. But this experiment of trotting out a bunch of canadian teenagers (or near teenagers) has been a failure. Some of these guys may never be established pros. One, JMR, might be a a true stud. One or two others might eventually become a decent MLS player, and rest probbaly wont make it and thats the law averages. Collectively, Right now, dont see how any of them are helping, in fact, they are hindering the team and the success of the sport locally. I didnt buy season seats to watch an experiment either. Or to watch in action an academy for the national team. This experiment is the main reason we are losing, not because of the veterans.
    Last edited by Free-kick; 07-03-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I have to disagree. Both things can be - and are - true. Poz can create the most chances (because he is a good player and is playing in a position that offers him that opportunity) and be slowing things down by keeping possession too long (as several of us think he is). One touch soccer is what the team needs; Poz is often taking 5 or more.
    He has no choice, others cant play at his level and with his vision other than Jesus and you see how they link up together...Poz the assist the other night, Jesus the pass that Poz almost scored on.

Poz tries his best to set guys up..did you see the move to set Priso free who completely wasted it over the net? The multiple passes to Thompson who hesitates and then wastes it...to Kerr as well?

And on the other side, anything to Nelson ends up lost or passed back...

Or there are no options available so has no choice...Akinola literally was invisible two games ina row...offers no outlet, no running into space etc.

Not sure why Poz is hated here so much, he is the LEAST of the problems here. Had he not played the last two games we'd literally have no chances whatsoever...he creates everything despite being double and even at times triple teamed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Free-kick View Post
    I have had a similar argument on other forums. The best way to help and support these kids and by extention Canadian soccer is not to throw these kids out there amongst seasoned pros and showering them with false praise all the while blaming the seasoned players or foreigners for the loses. Seasoned players, who have proven themselves already through awards and acclaim or in some case international experience, are being singled out when we lose but with some ppl, these kids can do no wrong and have to protected from criticism and any kind of fair assessement of their abilities and potential.

I have been to so many international matches involving Canada that I have lost count, and I have also travelled many times to see Canada play. I would never have bought season seats on the morning of the first ever sale for TFC Season seats way back in 2006 or 2007 if i didnt think that there wouldnt be benefits to our international fortunes in having a team in MLS. But this experiment of trotting out a bunch of canadian teenagers (or near teenagers) has been a failure. Some of these guys may never be established pros. One, JMR, might be a a true stud. One or two others might eventually become a decent MLS player, and rest probbaly wont make it and thats the law averages. Collectively, Right now, dont see how any of them are helping, in fact, they are hindering the team and the success of the sport locally. I didnt buy season seats to watch an experiment either. Or to watch in action an academy for the national team. This experiment is the main reason we are losing, not because of the veterans.

Spot on. Very well said, amazing post.

And the part of giving false praise to the in way over their heads Canadian kids...while blaming the foreigners....its why our best player Poz (the "foreigner") is being singled out for some bizarre reason.

JMR might be the only one with any future but he is not Alphonso Davies as some want to compare him too....not sure what all the hype around him is, but I guess we'll see as he basically just started. I haven't seen one thing he can do going forward, its all safe back passes with no end product. He has speed but no defensive awareness but I get they are trying to force him into a wing back role....but the others, mark my words, not one of these CDN kids will be here in 3 years or have a future on quality team in Europe. They simply aren't good enough.

If that's being a "troll" as my good friend jlome dismisses me as, so be it. I am a just realist that knows football, and just want to see us win. Not later, now. We already sat through last year's debacle....time is of the essence. (And so is my pocket book, I can/will only support so much of this as my patience is wearing thin...).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Free-kick View Post

I am in a similar boat as you but i will temper it a bit. It was clear how much damage Curtis and then Curtis and Armas did. You knew there had to be a reset. Now did BB strip the cupboards too bare with the thought Insigne is on his way… probably. They have also rushed/set unrealistic expectation on a couple of players, who may never recover…. I hope not but Ayo is looking eerily similar to JHAMs. I do think some need to be developed and regain their confidence.

With that said, I am having a blast being back in the stands and i didn’t realize how much i missed it. To be candid, the games are painful sometimes, but i put myself in a 2014 mentality. But the last 2 have been brutal, the Columbus game i blamed the soccer gods by my goodness last night wasn’t even good. My only expectation was CCL qualification (fingers crossed) and start playing competitively in the 2nd half, playoffs would be a complete bonus.

Failure on any of this, in my opinion should be Manning’s last influence on this club. I will be happy for his success but right now he does not exude confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the game, but the result against what was a very depleted Sounders side at home is not exactly reassuring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz, Oso and Jimenez are the only players always at starting quality,
    although Bradley comes close.

There are times when Poz tries too hard to carry the team but they usually coincide with the other team playing a low block.

Our transitions are so delayed and poorly executed a USL team could defend us game in and out with a low block.

If we can't hold possession while transitioning quickly from defense to attack then we end up trying to attack
    Eight or nine men behind the ball constantly.

the reason we occasionally look good is that a high press is the sole way for us to gain an overload or imbalance in the other team's end. So when a team builds poorly
    or slowly
    from the back or can't outlet easy it becomes a skill v skill game and we can compete.

as soon as it's about whole team movement, we're fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both things can't be true. He's either effective or he's not, too many touches is only a problem if it causes poor output. He's producing at an absurdly high level for the awful team he's in, that's tangible, the rest is not. If he was keeping possession too long he'd be failing to create chances, there is no keeping possession too long that results in a pass that creates a chance. That's like saying a striker is scoring goals but shooting the ball too hard to do so. His job is to create chances and score goals and he's doing so with numbers not many in the league could do in a team like this.

Quick passes or multi touches aren't an end, they're a means to an end. If the end is there criticising the means doesn't make any sense to me. Of 11 starters who are a problem this season Pozuelo is number 11 and by a distance
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 07-03-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both things can't be true. He's either effective or he's not, too many touches is only a problem if it causes poor output. He's producing at an absurdly high level for the awful team he's in, that's tangible, the rest is not. If he was keeping possession too long he'd be failing to create chances, there is no keeping possession too long that results in a pass that creates a chance. That's like saying a striker is scoring goals but shooting the ball too hard to do so. His job is to create chances and score goals and he's doing so with numbers not many in the league could do in a team like this.

Quick passes or multi touches aren't an end, they're a means to an end. If the end is there criticising the means doesn't make any sense to me. Of 11 starters who are a problem this season Pozuelo is number 11 and by a distance
    Fully agreed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see how things look after the new players come in and gell for a while. To be honest I didn't expect much out of the first part of the season given the clean out that was needed.

I never saw Bob Bradley as much of a tactical coach at all, more a manager who relies on training and selection to build a team over time. So I'm not surprised by him being out maneuvered tactically or not being able to work with the players he has to suddenly turn the team around. That's not who he is.

Reading some of the comments, I gather quite a few people here only watch TFC matches and weren't familiar with him. Bradley is not my cup of tea - I prefer strongly tactically oriented coaches. He's known and has a long track record, though, for his ability to build consistent teams over time. So I didn't make a big deal when he was hired.

I'm also surprised by some people treating Bradley like he's another Chris Armas, an inexperienced coach just there because he's a buddy of the President. You may know soccer quite a lot in other places like Europe or South America, but you need to spend more time to know MLS and not just TFC a bit better. Bradley is one of the most respected American coaches in MLS. That's not my opinion, that's the opinion of MLS experts like Ives Galarcep (you know who Ives is, don't you?). Again, Bradley is not my cup of tea, but if by mid next year he's built a competitive team I'll live with him as manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad performance all around (Seattle very good defensively to be fair). Poz by far our best player, a lot of good work undone by a poor final ball by the player he passed to. I think there's some merit to the critique that he moves the ball too slowly, but I'll wait until reinforcements arrive before judging him too harshly on that.

Ayo needs a game off. At least hold him to a sub appearance next weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting assessment of the game from Seattle, some interesting observations about TFC….
    https://www.sounderatheart.com/2022/...win-at-toronto

Schmetzer’s gambit pays off

One look at the lineup before the match, and fans could have been forgiven for thinking this was something of a throwaway match. That thinking discounts three important points:
    1) Toronto is not very good.
    2) Schmetzer has expectations of his players to perform no matter the lineup.
    3) The Sounders have spent years cultivating their depth to account for the rigors of an MLS season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from that article, interesting comparison to us because they had enough veteran presence they could fit in the youths - we are totally reliant on them To be sure, this wasn’t first-choice lineup, and Schmetzer didn’t attempt to sell it as such. But there was plenty of experience in key positions, and certainly enough quality to put up a good performance. More than that, the opportunities for players to earn more playing time on the pitch are limited on a squad as deep as the Sounders, and thus when a chance presents itself, you’d best grab it and run because you don’t know when the next one will. And the reserves more than did that Saturday, which got the Sounders the three points they lost on Wednesday, on top of getting significant rest for key players ahead of next weekend’s big rivalry match. A mini-jackpot indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's not over just yet because of MLS parity, having said that when Insigne joins we need a good run of games.

We also need those incoming transfers Manning keeps alluding too, nobody wants to continue watching Poz(and Insigne) play with a bunch of kids that have no clue how to play.
    much to my amazement BET365 agrees with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's look at it this way - if Poz was mostly moving the ball quickly, instead of taking the extra touches he did in this game, would he have created more chances for TFC? I would argue yes. A player of his calibre playing in the role he was on Saturday should be expected to create a certain number of chances and he did. Don't get me wrong - he is a good player who is beginning to round into form, who might get back to the level he displayed in his first year with us, but he has looked slow and unfit for two seasons now. i have wondered if he was playing hurt. If he =can raise his play to the level we all hope he can, he could be tremendous attacking with Insigne, Oso and Jesus. But a clear eyed appraisal is that he isn't there, yet. Its sort of the inverse of MB - he makes some visible mistakes so people think he is a disaster and don't notice all the excellent things he does; Poz makes some excellent plays so people dont notice all the mistakes he makes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's look at it this way - if Poz was mostly moving the ball quickly, instead of taking the extra touches he did in this game, would he have created more chances for TFC? I would argue yes. A player of his calibre playing in the role he was on Saturday should be expected to create a certain number of chances and he did. Don't get me wrong - he is a good player who is beginning to round into form, who might get back to the level he displayed in his first year with us, but he has looked slow and unfit for two seasons now. i have wondered if he was playing hurt. If he =can raise his play to the level we all hope he can, he could be tremendous attacking with Insigne, Oso and Jesus. But a clear eyed appraisal is that he isn't there, yet. Its sort of the inverse of MB - he makes some visible mistakes so people think he is a disaster and don't notice all the excellent things he does; Poz makes some excellent plays so people dont notice all the mistakes he makes.
    Good assessment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was hurt. Poz and Bob talked about him having his first pain free game in a long time, 4 or 5 games ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but 'eye appraisal' is meaningless vs output. Output is measurable. His output, given the tools he has to work with, is frankly fantastic. That is statistically measurable and is undeniable.

This is the equivalent of a manager going to their sales team, picking out the person whose sold magnitudes higher than anyone else, whose selling at a national level despite selling a crap product and saying 'yeah but to my eye test you should be doing it like the others who do it way worse than you do'

There's no magic formula that says quick possession is better, or Xavi and Iniesta wouldn't have been two of the greatest play making, creative mid fielders of all time. Those two moved the ball so slowly, and took so many touches, would you be criticizing them if they played for Toronto FC? Did they pass the eye test?
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 07-04-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    It seems like Bradley is one of the only players that can be counted on for consistency this year. It’ll take a pretty big leap for one of the kids to displace him.
    If Poz is the least of our worries, an assessment with which I do not disagree.
    Then MBradley, for this year and for now, so far, with efforts like this is the 2nd least of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    If Poz is the least of our worries, an assessment with which I do not disagree.
    Then MBradley, for this year and for now, so far, with efforts like this is the 2nd least of them.
    Fourth. Oso has, when on the pitch, been every bit as effective as Pozuelo. Jimenez has eight goals on THIS team. Can you imagine what he might do with two wingers who are ready to play at this level supplying the box with continually decent service?]

I actually think MB has been better his season than the last two. He’s had a couple of games where his energy and pace have flagged badly by the 65th minute but for the most part he’s held his end up well.

His passing is not what it used to be, though. He’s really leaving his long efforts short this year, although his number eight-style shuttling, short link-up stuff has been really good, generally. His tackling has improved substantially although he’s still been slipped with embarrassing ease a couple of times (that Justin Meram goal being a prime example).

The disconcerting thing to me about our effort the other night is that the team we were playing against was almost as young as we were. But their 19 year olds came ready to compete. Ours looked like deer in headlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes! Of course! Obviously and completely agree. My bad. Brain fart.

Edit... I don't think anyone here has really been questioning their performances though.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-04-2022 at 01:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I actually think MB has been better his season than the last two. He’s had a couple of games where his energy and pace have flagged badly by the 65th minute but for the most part he’s held his end up well.

His passing is not what it used to be, though. He’s really leaving his long efforts short this year, although his number eight-style shuttling, short link-up stuff has been really good, generally. His tackling has improved substantially although he’s still been slipped with embarrassing ease a couple of times (that Justin Meram goal being a prime example).
    Still a big MB fan, one glaring thing i did notice on Saturday night. Seattle's forwards were ruthless on tracking back on him and at least three times snuck up from behind and won the ball back. It didn't appear anyone was hollering to him, telling him he was under pressure.

The other reality we need to deal with is that this is a significantly different team than last year and we have not gelled with familiarity as a team. Lets face it, this is a rebuild and not saying we cannot go on a solid run, we just need to temper it a little.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Still a big MB fan, one glaring thing i did notice on Saturday night. Seattle's forwards were ruthless on tracking back on him and at least three times snuck up from behind and won the ball back. It didn't appear anyone was hollering to him, telling him he was under pressure.
    This has been happening to Pozuelo, Bradley, and Osorio a lot recently and I think it's probably poor communication from the kids. They aren't yelling these instructions or warnings out to vets. Most of our young guys never seem to yell anything out including calling for the ball when wide open.