Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Nelson has a very high upside. People who can't see past his poor decisions are missing the fact that he's a 19-year-old. His passing last night was, on occasion, pretty exceptional. He has a huge toolbag and he's already at the point where he could be a backup.

I'd say all of the new/young players are good enough for backup duty other than Chung and maybe Kosi Thompson, who has a huge toolbox but feels badly out of position as a fullback. He's just not good defensively at all. Chung's read of the game is just too slow. He's exposed constantly. Thompson is deputizing for him and looks lost as a fullback.
    Maybe I under estimate the rigours of a true RB but I think Thomson isn’t so bad. For a 19 year old he looks closer to figuring out the defensive positioning side all the time. It has been an improvement over JMR who is just too young at the moment.

But Kosi is getting targeted every game, no doubt about that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I will never understand complaints about Nelson tracking back. He’s an out-and-out winger, if you’re relying on him tracking back or marking runners then you’re misdirecting complaints to Nelson that should be on the midfield/fullback.
    This is true but a lot of the time it's him that turns it over by either making a poor decision or over dribbling into trouble. When a young player makes these types of mistakes over and over it isn't asking too much for him to try to help with the counter he created. It's not like he's Ronaldo out there where you can ignore that facet of his game because his offensive contributions are top tier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This league is full of parity. We're a rebuilt team full of kids and we play like one. That doesn't mean we don't have enough individual skill to win a few games.

We're one game out of a playoff spot and we haven't had any mid-season reinforcements yet. Perhaps people need to stop whining and consider where this team would be if Curtis and Armas were still here.

"We won, but the way we won proves we SUCK."

What a Toronto fan entitled statement.

If we're winning at all right now, we're doing so typically with a team two-to-three years younger than the one we're playing. We're basically starting at least four guys in every game who would NEVER be starting, as they're just not ready, on a fully built team.

But we knew that coming in. So what are people whining about? A lot of armchair gm's who clearly have little to no understanding of the difficulty in quickly rebuilding a team.

We won, our top DP played without pain for the first time in four games and scored two goals, and Q played, almost certainly preserving the win with two late saves. Plus we had a goalie in who can distribute again.

But hey, if despite all that you're still bitching, I imagine nothing short of a treble is going to make you happy.
    tfc was absolutely pummelled last night. Those two teams did not belong on the same pitch last night
    one team belonged on a mls next pitch.
    rebuilding is a marketing construct. Do not be fooled by marketing constructs teams are always
    rebuilding
    happiness is a subjective statement. Some people can can be perfectly happy watching what amounts to a tfc2 team others cannot

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    tfc was absolutely pummelled last night. Those two teams did not belong on the same pitch last night
    rebuilding is a marketing construct. Do not be fooled by marketing constructs teams are always
    rebuilding
    happiness is a subjective statement. Some people can can be perfectly happy watching what amounts to a tfc2 team others cannot
    Congratulations on this comment Stevep always enjoy your thoughts no bs and intelligent .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched snippets of the highlights. One thing I really liked about Pozuelo's second goal: it was a proper hard shot from outside they box. For so long he has almost always been chipping the ball instead of putting his foot through it, and hardly anyone on the team takes long shots which makes TFC very predictable. More goals and attempts like that please!
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-29-2022 at 09:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was watching sports center today and they showed the highlights and right before Oso went off it looked like he got his foot stomped on. Might have been the cause...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    rebuilding
    To say your team was absolutely pummeled when they won 3-2 is the height of delusional.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just watched snippets of the highlights. One thing I really liked about Pozuelo's second goal: it was a proper hard shot from outside they box. For so long he has almost always been chipping the ball instead of putting his foot through it, and hardly anyone on the team takes long shots which makes TFC very predictable. More goals and attempts like that please!
    I was saying the exact same thing to my friends. As important, he got involved 100% more once Shaff came on an he moved to the center. Poz is far more dangerous in the middle as an attacker and that was a beautiful shot so nice to see his laces go through it

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To say your team was absolutely pummeled when they won 3-2 is the height of delusional.
    Note quite, I now sit in the east stand 209, row 1 and have a perfect view of the field from a higher vantage (old hockey habit). It was a frustrating but entertaining day.

One thing I couldn’t figure out, who was the right mid-fielder, winger because Kosi was continually left alone on the right side. And I mean completely alone to face two and sometimes three players. (re-watch the 2nd half). I mean at times Kerr would appear to support and then occasionally it was Nelson (more importantly they were always running to support, they were not already there) and many times MB had to push over but they were overloading it and picking poor Kosi apart (seriously the only player on the right side).

This lead to the the young guys scrambling and chasing the ball instead of holding a line, we were definitely outplayed and if Chicago knew how to finish the result would not have been as flattering. I do think they are working harder and will get better and maybe the soccer gods gave us one back, considering they robbed us of two others. We have some time now, work on collective defense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Note quite, I now sit in the east stand 209, row 1 and have a perfect view of the field from a higher vantage (old hockey habit). It was a frustrating but entertaining day.

One thing I couldn’t figure out, who was the right mid-fielder, winger because Kosi was continually left alone on the right side. And I mean completely alone to face two and sometimes three players. (re-watch the 2nd half). I mean at times Kerr would appear to support and then occasionally it was Nelson (more importantly they were always running to support, they were not already there) and many times MB had to push over but they were overloading it and picking poor Kosi apart (seriously the only player on the right side).

This lead to the the young guys scrambling and chasing the ball instead of holding a line, we were definitely outplayed and if Chicago knew how to finish the result would not have been as flattering.......

Pretty much my view from 116 as well - although this wasn't going on as much in the first half. We were not pummelled but it was dire there.

This has happened before wether its Kosi or Chung - teams after awhile can see the weakness. NYC did it, Philly did it, Cinci did it.

There is a problem out there on the right in defensive positioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Pretty much my view from 116 as well - although this wasn't going on as much in the first half. We were not pummelled but it was dire there.

This has happened before wether its Kosi or Chung - teams after awhile can see the weakness. NYC did it, Philly did it, Cinci did it.

There is a problem out there on the right in defensive positioning.
    Yep. We need a proper right fullback if they're going to tilt the field tactically to stress
    the left side.

People get too caught up in statistics. We were outshot 9-4 on target, so Q earned those points, along with Poz. But
    most of Chicago's possession and shots were wasted and largely
    meaningless.

The most important number in their favor is that they blocked 13 of our shots and we blocked ZERO of theirs. We're just not closing quickly enough, on crosses or shots.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....The most important number in their favor is that they blocked 13 of our shots and we blocked ZERO of theirs. We're just not closing quickly enough, on crosses or shots.
    Or maybe we are emulating Liverpool & letting our league class shot stoppers see everything in order to get the counter started quicker....

It was so nice to watch Westberg distribute the ball & hear him communicate with the defenders - helps that Akinola bangs up hard for every header. His after game shot for social media said it all - he's happy to be back in front of that crowd.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most important number in their favor is that they blocked 13 of our shots and we blocked ZERO of theirs. We're just not closing quickly enough, on crosses or shots.
    I actually noticed that almost all over the field. Chicago would high press and actually engage, to try to win the ball. And they were very intent on intercepting passes, often stopping dangerous TFC opportunities. Those interceptions also create their own dangerous attacks as TFC was unbalanced, not expecting a turnover at the time.

Meanwhile, when TFC high-pressed, they most often approached and tried to contain, but often do not try to win the ball, except if very close to our goal. (Then it's last-ditch and risky.) That leaves tons of opportunities for Chicago to complete passes, advance, and put passes or crosses into the box.

Is that type of "pressing" a tactical decision by BB? Or is due to fears of the players themselves, not wanting to over-commit, for example if they know they and their teammates don't have the speed or positioning to recover? Also I felt TFC had far fewer attempts to anticipate and intercept passes; they usually reacted to Chicago passes after the fact. (But I haven't looked at the stats to confirm successful interceptions.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Or is due to fears of the players themselves, not wanting to over-commit, for example if they know they and their teammates don't have the speed or positioning to recover? Also I felt TFC had far fewer attempts to anticipate and intercept passes; they usually reacted to Chicago passes after the fact. (But I haven't looked at the stats to confirm successful interceptions.)
    I think this is it. I think this was in part what Bob was referencing in his post match presser about our football not being up to snuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. We need a proper right fullback if they're going to tilt the field tactically to stress
    the left side.

People get too caught up in statistics. We were outshot 9-4 on target, so Q earned those points, along with Poz. But
    most of Chicago's possession and shots were wasted and largely
    meaningless.

To me it looked like shaqiri was delivering balls on a platter all game and their supporting cast did a terrible job being in position or converting the chances.

I wouldn’t say they wasted their possession as much as some golden opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough

People should watch BB's presser afterwards.....he's really talking about learning a lot & "this is a big project" & about mentality

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...ey-may-28-2022

Also, talks about Poz not training much for a couple of weeks before this game.

Oso - they don't know what it is but are trying to find out. NT makes the call right now as to whether he goes to CANMNT camp.

O'Neill - was concerned about dizzyness.

Asked about "did you challenge Kerr" by Molinaro, "I challenge each of these guys each day".

Talks from there about "emptying the tank:

Right at the end, they left in the Singh question about Poz contract that BB refused to talk about.

REALLY good use of 9 minutes of your time, people.
    BB sees clearly the weaknesses of this team and i am sure the players. he is masterful in the presser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get that nelson has his issues,tracking back hogging the ball,but kerr and poz are not exactly defensive stalwarts,MB is running around putting out fires all over the pitch,its jus not a good balance in the mid right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i get that nelson has his issues,tracking back hogging the ball,but kerr and poz are not exactly defensive stalwarts,MB is running around putting out fires all over the pitch,its jus not a good balance in the mid right now

Thats fair. The Priso of last year is what we need to balance MB. I am also in the "Nelson is going to come good " camp and have been impressed by Kerr's growing physicality. I also think Kosi has it in him to be a quality player - where is the real question

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Agree with both the above, I was just saying it was so clear Kosi was on his own (good way to learn). It really looked like both Kerr and Nelson had no clue on what their defensive responsibilities were and perhaps that's fair to say they are attackers by nature but a quality team does us real harm with that alignment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People should watch BB's presser afterwards.....he's really talking about learning a lot & "this is a big project" & about mentality

https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...ey-may-28-2022

Also, talks about Poz not training much for a couple of weeks before this game.

Oso - they don't know what it is but are trying to find out. NT makes the call right now as to whether he goes to CANMNT camp.

O'Neill - was concerned about dizzyness.

Asked about "did you challenge Kerr" by Molinaro, "I challenge each of these guys each day".

Talks from there about "emptying the tank:

Right at the end, they left in the Singh question about Poz contract that BB refused to talk about.

REALLY good use of 9 minutes of your time, people.
    Thanks for the tip, that's the first presser I've listened to in a while!

It was interesting to hear that the National Team decides about Osorio being called up. TFC only sends the medical report. For example, I thought it was pretty clear that Bayern decided that Davies wouldn't be available to Canada in the previous international windows. I guess it depends on what the club team writes in the medical report.

I do find it weird that a club that can find millions of $ to sign certain players, can't mic the questions of the journalists in a press conference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the power-ranking for the kids right now? They can't all stay on the team at the end of the season, so going to be really relevant later.

I've got something like this, I'm sure others have totally different:
    1. Priso
    2. Nelson
    3. Kosi
    4. Petrasso
    5. JMR
    6. Kerr
    7. Shaff
    8. Perruzza
    9. Okello
    10. Themi

Shaff should be higher but I'm not sure he fits the BB team at all and I rate Okello, but where has he been?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys think we see Westberg start until he screws up? Thought I heard the commentator say that Bradley's going to give him a run of games. No flip flopping with the GK's like last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting ranking. Shaff is at the top for me but otherwise about right, except for OKello - he is further advanced than most.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    You guys think we see Westberg start until he screws up? Thought I heard the commentator say that Bradley's going to give him a run of games. No flip flopping with the GK's like last year.
    I don't think the future is with either of our keepers, but Westberg is better at positioning the defense and in distribution so he's the better option for now given our current weak areas. I expect though that Bradley will use both keepers for the rest of our year.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder that our lineup at the end of the game was

Peruzza - Nelson

Shaff - Bradley - Priso - Kerr

Peruzza - Salcedo - McNaughton - Kosi

Q

That's pretty incredible even if we were playing the last place team. Shaff is the third most experienced outfield player on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took some to reflect before sharing my thoughs.

Happy for the win, happy that westberg got second start and second win.

It was westberg's fault on the first goal as he should have caught that ball clean which led to the corner i believe.

TFC did not deserve to win that game- sometimes championship teams learn to win games when playing like shit-- hoping this is the foundation for winning games we shouldnt have going forward.

MLS helped TFC big time, their goal looked good the one where Q saved it and all players stopped and ball watched - i though it was on side.

Chicago should have had at least three clean shots on target that most likely would have been goals.

The penalty was a joke for sure.

this was gifted game maybe for the non goal earlier that should have counted.

I dis like that everyone defers to bradley it is very annoying.
    Q took time but was able to make connecting passes which is such a pet peeve of mine im so happy we have a capable passer.

Ayo is hugely missed as his big frame allows for hold up and for the rest of the team to get open.

Issue ive noticed is no one every gives support to the player with the ball and this normally leads to backwards passing.

Set piece defending is terrible, set piece offense just as bad.

1st league win in how many games?

Poz probably wouldnt have scored if the damn stadium didnt say shoot- glad he did.

Been a consistent issue for the past three seasons, no one can shoot outside the 18 yard box, its like they try to pass their way into the net.

Nelson is very difficult to watch, such low IQ, all the good he does he undoes in the final third of the pitch- most important part as it opens up counter attacks for terrible decision making shooting when other players are in the box, he needs to understand to use his teammates in the final third and he could get the ball back for a shot.

has speed and has nice moves but the IQ needs to be improved.

still not happy with the performance relative to the expected pricing TFC set.