Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 10 - TFC @ Cinci Wed May 4 7:38pm But these stories don't mean anything

When you've got no one to tell them to

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll be at the game. Should be fun but hopefully not a repeat of Saturday

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post

Vaguely wondering what the atmosphere will be like a year on from the grand opening and the team not doing all that well on a Wednesday against a non-marquee opponent.

These are the sort of games that I'm referencing in the song - the stories mean something to us but we got not many people to tell them to - this is on both sides.

(I would note that Cinci fan twitter basically said their team was solid & held us - nothing spectacular, just workmanlike.)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-01-2022 at 05:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    A great footy bar is right across the street form TQL Stadium, The Pitch Cincy. Went there before the USA Mexico game in November. Check it out. For some post-game night life check out e19 Lounge Bar & Discothèque. Has great vibe, about a 10 min walk from the stadium.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 05-01-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips. I was in Columbus for the game earlier and it was great. Never been to TQL but hoping for a good night. I’m actually debating on standing in the Bailey. Don’t want to get lynched but thought it would be cool. Just me and a coworker from the area so I can refrain from cheering for TFC for a game. Heck it’s likely I won’t have anything to cheer about anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully we’ll see a much different lineup this week, especially seeing as they’re playing the same team on Wednesday. I’d like to see a 4-4-1-1, maybe something like:

Chung-O’Reilly-Salcedo-Petrasso
    Thompson?-Osorio-Priso/Okello?-Nelson
    Pozuelo
    Jimenez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a chance for Jimenez to pull into the lead for the Golden Boot (early days, I know). Would be nice to have at least a column dedicated to him at mlssoccer.com. His incredible run of play is seemingly being ignored (for now).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed would be nice to see Jimenez get another goal and take over that top spot for the race.
    Will be interesting/telling to see what kind of a lineup Bob puts out there, first mid-week game and will have to see how MB deals with it if he's in the starting XI. I'm guessing Mavinga will be out with his hip, do we see more of Ayo? Shaff going to be back? Oso going to be okay with his leg after coming off that slight knock a few weeks back and playing another game so soon? Lots of questions to be asked here and not too sure if we have the answers. Cinci will also be playing their new DP that they subbed into the game so he should be fresh for them.
    Does Nelson get a start..will he try and do too much?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Hopefully we’ll see a much different lineup this week, especially seeing as they’re playing the same team on Wednesday. I’d like to see a 4-4-1-1, maybe something like:

Chung-O’Reilly-Salcedo-Petrasso
    Thompson?-Osorio-Priso/Okello?-Nelson
    Pozuelo
    Jimenez
    Calling O'Neill by the name O'Reilly an inside joke that I am not aware of? Or honest mistake? I noticed you called him by that in a couple threads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is an opportunity for BB to test a slightly different line up. He doesnt seem to trust Priso yet but if he is getting to where he was last year and BB is seeing it in training he might get a start. I'd like to see McNaughton in the mix - whether as part of a 3 or 2. And Poz needs something. He is a shadow of who he was, and unlike MB, doesn't have age to account for that.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-02-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel a little like people are overstating the amount of drop off by both players. Pozuelo is among the league leaders in chance creation, dribbles and overall midfield rating. Bradley, without a doubt not fast or accomplished defensively enough to be the DM, nonetheless has 1.7 tackles a game.

the problem is that with the kids being so
    error prone, any mistakes the veterans make are exponentially more dangerous. It’s a mistake covering the cross - we’re last in the league for allowing chances in the box— and then a veteran player is late to attack the ball. Or even more
    common, a midfielder is stripped or caught high, the ball is pushed deep and wide, and the rookie wb misses the block.

theyre all blowing it a little but it’s not like each is playing on a broken leg. There have been plenty of moments of brilliance suggesting this isn’t all age and can be mitigated before we’re out of playoff contention. Definitely more depth, and an anchor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah pozuelo has been worth nearly a goal a game in goals and assists, and is joint 15th in the league for key passes. He's being played deeper than I'd want which is limiting his effectiveness but the numbers have him as our top attacker and one of the better creative players in the league - and by far our most creative. This talk of him being rubbish does not match the numbers. The vast majority of good attacks we've had this season have passed through him, despite, again, him being told to play deeper
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 05-02-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d add that they’re still figuring out how to defend as a unit in transition.
    We were statistically dominant in most areas of that last game but the three we lost were pretty Crucial: tackles, duels and goals. More shots, twice as many complete passes, more possession… fewer goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Calling O'Neill by the name O'Reilly an inside joke that I am not aware of? Or honest mistake? I noticed you called him by that in a couple threads.
    Hahaha, more of a brain fart than anything else. Got O’Reilly stuck in there somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bench is basically gonna be kids from TFC II at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo is also now out with COVID… the team is going to be thin.
    Oso also left training early today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achara out too. Going to be very short handed tomorrow…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder how many short term signing we will end up seeing? Should know by the end of the day.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although BB was not having any of it... "it's still about improving"...

Singh's attempt before the last game, as OtD succinctly stated (as well as Buffery's attempt to a lesser extent) to 'create a narrative about the next 3 games being against teams at the bottom of their conference & "creating a stranglehold" on a playoff position, is perhaps now a little more apropos?

It is a slippery slope to the bottom.
    I sincerely hope this is not the beginning of that roll.
    I prefer this team not be drenched so soon in that funk again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So hard to know what to think about this season. Bits of good things for sure but a bunch of other stuff that just keeps coming. Just hope the good things continue long enough to be joined by other good things to make something of the team again. Amazing how quickly stuff can fall apart though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it bad that I think as long as Shane O’Neill is in the lineup things will somewhat stay together on the back line ?

Like in a way, he’s the only source of consistency back there. Mavinga and Salcedo are far from a stabilizing presence.

Sort of telling considering he’s not really a starter IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is it bad that I think as long as Shane O’Neill is in the lineup things will somewhat stay together on the back line ?

Like in a way, he’s the only source of consistency back there. Mavinga and Salcedo are far from a stabilizing presence.

I bet you the MacNoughhton - O'Neill pairing holds up better under pressure than the Mavinga - Salcedo - O'Neill group did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I bet you the MacNoughhton - O'Neill pairing holds up better under pressure than the Mavinga - Salcedo - O'Neill group did.
    I will not be taking that bet.

Still likely to get overrun, but that would be on and due to everyone else in front of, beside and behind them.

I need a .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

O’Neill had a stretch in Europe where he was forced to
    sit for being the backline hothead, and he has some consistency issues. He was ball watching on the second goal, and a week earlier he misjudged the nyfc backpost cross on the third goal.

I don’t think he’s that much more consistent… just less athletically gifted and therefore slightly less prone to take chances. He won’t save games, but he usually won’t kill us with mistakes either.

Salcedo and Mavinga both have the speed and coordination to save games single-handedly. But as playera age that sometimes isn’t adjusted for ; plus when they get it wrong they get it way wrong.

I really don’t think our problems right now are “bad “ or “old” player related, but a
    combination of strong personalities learning to work together and inexperienced teammates in the wings. Nearly all of our problem balls to defend this year have been from wingers and wbacks allowed too much space. Two-thirds have been
    from Shaff not really being a wingback and Petrasso being Naive and slight of build.

it doesn’t help that the midfield speed leads to panic repositioning on the overlap side, but ultimately it’s our inability to defend a cross — on both ends — that is killing us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a bad feeling about this one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with JLoome that the problem is on the wings. The ease with which teams get crosses in is killing us in a variety of ways - and ways that are nothing to do with MB's sttengths or weaknesses. And Poz, for all is skill, looks like he is running in treacle. I don't think its permanent, but he looks slow and off the pace. Unfortunately we cannot afford that given the other issues with the club

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Salcedo is also now out with COVID… the team is going to be thin.
    Oso also left training early today.
    Holy crap. Judging by what's been happening to my friends and colleagues, I really doubt it's going to only be a single case. Current variants are just too freaking contagious, and these guys spend lots of time indoors together. I've actually been surprised there haven't been more cases around the league recently. I guess if they test very often maybe they can catch it early in the infectious period, plus people being very careful with symptoms. Also I guess the team can easily pay for all the PCR tests they want. Rapid tests are so damn unreliable for vaccinated people with symptoms these days, and you can't shut a player down for at least 5 days every time he gets the sniffles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bench is looking razor thin for this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The bench is looking razor thin for this one.

We could very well see on of these kids get a start. Tonight is going to be interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooo...no expectations...just get 11 out there, throw out the ball & see what happens.

In a way, I think I prefer this "I don't think they are going to do anything" TFC right now. Less drama.