Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Match Day 8 - TFC @ NYC Sun April 24 5:08pm - Somehow I'm not impressed

But I'm sick of spending these lonely nights Training myself not to care

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing worse than watching a soccer game in Yankee Stadium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Watching a match in Shea Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WE have their number, traditionally. It'll be interesting, although that field is not conducive to pretty football.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People struggle mightily the first time they play on that pitch. Depth perception is BAD (see Bono errors last season).

With so many new guys, its likely only Poz & Bradley & Shaff who remember that barn.

Mindset on that pitch is very important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People struggle mightily the first time they play on that pitch. Depth perception is BAD (see Bono errors last season).

With so many new guys, its likely only Poz & Bradley & Shaff who remember that barn.

Mindset on that pitch is very important.
    The way we play, with a press and short passing build-up, it could end up looking like pinball.

Then there's the fact that NYFC loves to quickly switch field, as it's so narrow, so there's all sorts of diagonal cross defending. I imagine Bob plays three at the back for this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently this one is at Citi Field....same crap though. Just a different baseball stadium. Pathetic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing after all theses years, the stadium situation hasn’t been resolved for nycfc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Apparently this one is at Citi Field....same crap though. Just a different baseball stadium. Pathetic...
    Crazy that NYCFC have been around for this long and have been allowed to be a nomad team with no real plans for a true home stadium still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All it takes is a game in NYC to think that our tunnel isn't that bad of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That playoff game was epic….

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, why cannot the MLS Disciplinary Committee allow the Officials, with the supposed aid of VAR officiate the game. FFS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Amazing after all theses years, the stadium situation hasn’t been resolved for nycfc.
    That is New York real estate for you, NYFC wants to build in NYFC proper and that is one costly endeavor if you can even find such land to do it.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    That is New York real estate for you, NYFC wants to build in NYFC proper and that is one costly endeavor if you can even find such land to do it.
    They should have not been allowed to have a team until they had a proper stadium established like other cities had to do. They got an exemption due to it being NY and I am sure also MLS wanted badly to have that particular ownership group in the MLS and they weren't going anywhere but a big name city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Of course, why cannot the MLS Disciplinary Committee allow the Officials, with the supposed aid of VAR officiate the game. FFS
    How about some disciplinary action for the officials themselves?

If you have the benefit of a replay and that’s still not enough to make the right decision and you then need a committee after, you’re fucking incompetent. There’s no way around it.

PRO should have to explain why it’s officials can’t consistently interpret the rules without 4 days notice.

I get we’re the benefactor today (he should have been sent off) but it will boomerang back around eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The willets point stadium plan looks like it will take years just to get to groundbreaking if it goes ahead. It buggers the neighbourhood development plan so I can see it getting push back. I think the max they can get is a 25000 seat stadium there which doesn't seem worth it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    How about some disciplinary action for the officials themselves?

If you have the benefit of a replay and that’s still not enough to make the right decision and you then need a committee after, you’re fucking incompetent. There’s no way around it.

PRO should have to explain why it’s officials can’t consistently interpret the rules without 4 days notice.

I get we’re the benefactor today (he should have been sent off) but it will boomerang back around eventually.
    I don't have an issue with Nelson being suspended. They committee isn't necessarily saying the officials were in error, they are just saying that the reckless tackle deserves additional consequences. They do this sort of thing several times a year, sometimes they issue fines post-match, sometimes suspensions. Sometimes what the committee does isn't directly related to a match (e.g. fines for statements to the media).

It was a thin line between a yellow and a red IMO, I wouldn't have had a problem if he was sent off. Players need to be protected from reckless behaviour. Hopefully Nelson learns from this and moves on.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't have an issue with Nelson being suspended. They committee isn't necessarily saying the officials were in error, they are just saying that the reckless tackle deserves additional consequences. They do this sort of thing several times a year, sometimes they issue fines post-match, sometimes suspensions. Sometimes what the committee does isn't directly related to a match (e.g. fines for statements to the media).

It was a thin line between a yellow and a red IMO, I wouldn't have had a problem if he was sent off. Players need to be protected from reckless behaviour. Hopefully Nelson learns from this and moves on.
    The fines and supplemental discipline for a red card? So be it. That’s never going to happen on the spot

But giving a suspension when it wasn’t previously a red? That really can’t be anything else but an admission the officials have issues with consistency.

It wasn’t exactly a vague matter open to interpretation. The official had a clear view of it and the VaR angles are clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But giving a suspension when it wasn’t previously a red? That really can’t be anything else but an admission the officials have issues with consistency.
    Agreed, and if they are going to supersede the official AND var like this then should also suspend the ref in tandem with the player to set a clear bar. It's abundantly clear that there is no standard of refereeing (or VAR) at the moment. DisCo and VAR are nothing more than mechanisms to re-referee a game. Surely this is not their intended reason for existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Agreed, and if they are going to supersede the official AND var like this then should also suspend the ref in tandem with the player to set a clear bar. It's abundantly clear that there is no standard of refereeing (or VAR) at the moment. DisCo and VAR are nothing more than mechanisms to re-referee a game. Surely this is not their intended reason for existence.
    For sure.

I saw an article about professional refereeing in UEFA a while ago. It talked about how the officials went to great lengths to flush out the different aspects of the game and come to a consistent understanding of how a match would be officiated. Did it lead to perfection? No, but still did a lot to eliminate variances.

If MLS officials can’t agree on a straight forward studs-on-shin tackle with no sight of the ball, what exactly are they doing? What are they talking about?

It should be a situation they know they will need to deal with at some stage and the outcome should be clear.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also don't have a problem with a red.

I do also have a problem with inconsistency and past-the-fact officiating. Especially because it doesn't seem to be getting better; it's getting worse. Not just our games: the PK review against TFC a few weeks ago comes to mind, and then the postgame announcement that an error was made anyway. Also other MLS games where I've seen crazy decisions in match highlights, and then more announcements by the committees afterwards.

Other huge issue I have with the Philly game: the ref's yellow card problems were worse than his red card miss. Philly had 16 fouls; TFC had 9. That doesn't even include some obvious Philly fouls that he missed.

But Philly only got one yellow while TFC got four. He didn't give yellows for a couple of obvious Philly dangerous or tactical fouls. It makes no sense. That leads to a choppy dangerous game, and a tendency for TFC to want to protect their own (consciously or subconsciously). And it means the officials don't have control of the game, making it even harder for themselves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola good to go yet? He could easily slot in for Nelson if he can go at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fines and supplemental discipline for a red card? So be it. That’s never going to happen on the spot

It wasn’t exactly a vague matter open to interpretation. The official had a clear view of it and the VaR angles are clear.

exactly. The whole process is getting pedantic. By definition, it isn’t clear and obvious if two officials (the Referee and VAR) both see it clearly and don’t give it. Same with Salcedo earlier in the year. This one COULD have been a red “I’ve seen them given” But it also could have been a yello - he was pulling out a bit with his top leg, for example. There should not be a process in this case. Period.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to Nelson suspended, Bradley Sr reports that Priso, Okello and JMR all remain injured for the weekend game against NYCFC, while Osorio is questionable. Which leaves centre midfield really thin…

Wonder if we will see any more short term signings to fill in the holes like we have the last couple weeks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    In addition to Nelson suspended, Bradley Sr reports that Priso, Okello and JMR all remain injured for the weekend game against NYCFC, while Osorio is questionable. Which leaves centre midfield really thin…

Wonder if we will see any more short term signings to fill in the holes like we have the last couple weeks?
    I wouldn't be surprised if Salcedo got pushed up to a CDM postion if there is an injury issue tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if Salcedo got pushed up to a CDM postion if there is an injury issue tonight.
    I wouldn't be uncomfortable with him or Mavinga taking that role. Both good readers of the game, both very athletic, both deliver a solid pass.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reds has signed defenders Themi Antonoglou and Kobe Franklin to a short-term loan agreements ahead of tomorrow's match at NYCFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wouldn't be uncomfortable with him or Mavinga taking that role. Both good readers of the game, both very athletic, both deliver a solid pass.
    I think Salcedo could do a solid job as a defensive midfielder. Mavinga in a pinch could do it too. Salcedo's passing makes me think he might he the pick there though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I legit thought the game was tonight. I was wondering why the lineups weren't posted yet.