Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    GO Transit has a $10 one-day pass on weekends for unlimited travel on GO. And a $30 group pass for 2 people on weekdays.

https://tickets.gotransit.com/en-us/?type=promo

Personally, starting near Danforth GO, it's much cheaper than TTC with the 3-hour free return on Presto ($3.70 total compared to $6.40 on TTC - which only has a 2-hour window).
    Thanks I had no clue. When you go to buy tickets online through the fare calculator it doesn’t show these special passes as an option. How long has that been in effect?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Thanks I had no clue. When you go to buy tickets online through the fare calculator it doesn’t show these special passes as an option. How long has that been in effect?
    Since July - https://www.gotransit.com/en/blog/go...asses-are-here ... it's a one-year pilot. This might explain why GO is reporting that while weekday travel is still well below pre-Covid levels, it's now higher than 2019 on weekends.

It really annoys me that using Presto is now not the cheapest and simplest option, both on GO and UP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since July - https://www.gotransit.com/en/blog/go...asses-are-here ... it's a one-year pilot. This might explain why GO is reporting that while weekday travel is still well below pre-Covid levels, it's now higher than 2019 on weekends.

It really annoys me that using Presto is now not the cheapest and simplest option, both on GO and UP.
    Presto is hopelessly out of date already. I was just in London and everything is contactless, and even caps your fares weekly based on the passes available. Presto doesn't even do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Presto is hopelessly out of date already. I was just in London and everything is contactless, and even caps your fares weekly based on the passes available. Presto doesn't even do that.
    Presto does cap GO Transit fares after 40 trips in a month and trips 36-40 are at a highly reduced rate. But Presto is still out of date and an awful system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Presto does cap GO Transit fares after 40 trips in a month and trips 36-40 are at a highly reduced rate. But Presto is still out of date and an awful system
    Ah ok thanks. I thought they didn't do it for the TTC monthly pass but maybe that's just a choice rather than a system problem. Contactless is so much better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok thanks. I thought they didn't do it for the TTC monthly pass but maybe that's just a choice rather than a system problem. Contactless is so much better!
    Yeah for the TTC I think it's a policy choice rather than a technical one. Earlier this year City staff recommended moving the TTC to a similar style as GO Transit. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...e-changes.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's a choice.

TTC had originally announced they'd do daily and weekly capping with Presto.

When push came to shove, they said with the 2-hour transfer, the demand for daily capping (at the price of 4 fares) wasn't really necessary because so few people would benefit. But weekly capping wouldn't be done, because so many people would benefit that it would cost too much.

Presto has always been contactless. Do you mean accepting credit and debit? You can tap with a credit card on the GO Transit Presto reader - it's the same price as using a Presto Card.

https://www.gotransit.com/en/blog/tapwithcredit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's a choice.

TTC had originally announced they'd do daily and weekly capping with Presto.

When push came to shove, they said with the 2-hour transfer, the demand for daily capping (at the price of 4 fares) wasn't really necessary because so few people would benefit. But weekly capping wouldn't be done, because so many people would benefit that it would cost too much.

Presto has always been contactless. Do you mean accepting credit and debit? You can tap with a credit card on the GO Transit Presto reader - it's the same price as using a Presto Card.

https://www.gotransit.com/en/blog/tapwithcredit
    Yeah, paying fares with a credit card and not needing another transit specific card. In London they differentiate that as contactless, versus the Oyster card which seems to act like a Presto card. I don' think I can pay a fare on the TTC by tapping a credit card (although admittedly I haven't tried). Need to fill a Presto card and use that. If it's different on GO, they need to add that functionality to the TTC.
    Last edited by Canary10; 10-20-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to fill a Presto card and use that. If it's different on GO, they need to add that functionality to the TTC.
    They are expanding it to TTC. But they have to replace thousands of Presto readers to do it. Apparently Presto on Brampton Transit and Mississauga Transit already takes credit. Should be working next year sometime.

They are supposed to add debit as well.

Meanwhile people who just hold up their wallet to a reader are already complaining that both their Presto and credit card got charged!

To me, contactless is the opposite of the old TTC monthly passes, that you had to swipe. I thought we tended to use "tap" here. I feel if I answered "contactless" to "how do you want to pay" at the grocery store, they'd be thinking about Covid distancing!
    Last edited by nfitz; 10-20-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello!

For anyone who has a default trip on their Presto card you may want to check your card activity.

I decided to check mine this morning after I was forced to prove my payment on the actual tap machine instead of the hand held machine that checks fares. Since I had the extra tap at Exhibition last night, I found I had an extra charge of $1.94 to my ride.

I called GO this morning to complain and to ask for a refund for myself and my husband. I also emailed my TFC rep to complain about the all of the GO train nonsense these days. Enough is enough!!

I really hope they make some positive changes. TFC fans are being discriminated against and it’s not cool nor fun!

If you tapped that green machine ~ check your Presto card activity!!!!

Great win last night!!

Jen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One match late last season, when the machines on the north side were open, my wife and I tapped out on the north side, and then they were making everyone tap again on the south. I refused, and they let me pass. My wife tapped ... and I checked, and she did indeed get an extra charge. And for the maximum amount to Hamilton.

Fare enforcement have no idea how their machines actually work. Just don't tap unless they have a fare check device.