Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive watched the YouTube video of the var play over and over
    I played it at 0.25 speed. I cannot see any contact
    there is no way Caldwell could see contact 200 ft away in the tv broadcast booth
    yet he was so adamant that there was contact and he kept at it
    his behaviour feels scripted to me
    i can’t figure out the logic for this behaviour
    it’s a distraction of some sort but I can’t figure out what it is yet
    Caldwells gotta be a shill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Bob Bradley in tying the legendary Chris Armas in total wins. Also Jesus has half as many goals this season as Jozy had the previous 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been too busy to add my usual grimacing, but I wanted to express how impressed I was with this win. I still think the squad is an unacceptable shambles, but if Bradley pulls results off like this with a makeshift backline I’m very very excited for a real backline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very good performance, enjoyed the game. I thought there would have been a bigger attendance. Playing defending champs, good kick off time, the feel good factor of Canada qualifying for world cup. Maybe covid fear is an issue for people. It's a pity as that was a very good game to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 games in we are in a playoff position. Can’t complain.

3 tough games coming up (@RSL, PHI, @NYC) that should be good tests for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    very good performance, enjoyed the game. I thought there would have been a bigger attendance. Playing defending champs, good kick off time, the feel good factor of Canada qualifying for world cup. Maybe covid fear is an issue for people. It's a pity as that was a very good game to watch.
    This was me. I'm going away in two weeks and can't get Covid before. Also still can't give away tickets to games I find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    ive watched the YouTube video of the var play over and over
    I played it at 0.25 speed. I cannot see any contact
    I don't see how that video somehow vindicates PRO and makes this a PK.
    It seems more like he trips himself up then a foul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope BB can find a few more minutes for Perruzza, it was good to see him get on the field for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    I don't see how that video somehow vindicates PRO and makes this a PK.
    It seems more like he trips himself up then a foul.
    but that’s irrelevant to the rules. The initial contact could be deemed a foul in the box so it wasn’t a “clear and obvious error”

so whether he tripped himself or not, it shouldn’t have been reviewed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If VAR looked at the play and assessed there was no contact on a play that resulted in a penalty, that would be pretty clear and obvious. Whether or not they had access to the right view is seperate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    but that’s irrelevant to the rules. The initial contact could be deemed a foul in the box so it wasn’t a “clear and obvious error”

This is why VAR is a failure. Sure having a video that can show a foul frame by frame in 4K or a program to draw offsides lines on the screen help determine things but at the end of the day the decision whether or not to use the VAR comes down to humans and therefore is subjective.

I said this many times; VAR should be used for determining if a ball crosses the goal line, handballs in the box, and card worthy fouls that might be missed because they happen off the ball. That's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Well, maybe the rules are shit?
    I can see how using that angle, it isn't a "clear and obvious" error made by the ref. Sure. His view from behind was obstructed by our player, so yeah, it would appear to him there was a foul.

I can buy that, but still not think it is a foul. This new angle they provided still doesn't show a foul IMO. The other angles don't show it either (and the refs at the field agreed).

If they want to use VAR for this, then they need to step up the camera placements to provide the required views.
    Last edited by wopchop; 04-04-2022 at 06:21 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how using that angle, it isn't a "clear and obvious" error made by the ref. Sure. His view from behind was obstructed by our player, so yeah, it would appear to him there was a foul.

I can buy that, but still not think it is a foul. This new angle they provided still doesn't show a foul IMO. The other angles don't show it either (and the refs at the field agreed).

If they want to use VAR for this, then they need to step up the camera placements to provide the required views.
    That's the thing. It's not the concept of VAR that is an issue, it's the implementation that is flawed. I'd still rather have it any day over the situation we had before. This type of technology is now in a lot of sports for good reason, overall it improves officiating.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no argument here mate, just pointing out the rationale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate VAR. it ruins the most beautiful thing about soccer, that moment when the entire stadium rises for a goal. Now everyone everywhere is looking over their shoulder for a foul.

Goal line tech is fine. It works and doesn’t interrupt the flow. But VAR always will be subject to error, so it doesn’t matter if it is sometimes a bit better than the referee. The game is worse for it, like with the ridiculous delayed offsides. Train the referees and AR’s to be the best they can be, and get on with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I hate VAR. it ruins the most beautiful thing about soccer, that moment when the entire stadium rises for a goal. Now everyone everywhere is looking over their shoulder for a foul.

Goal line tech is fine. It works and doesn’t interrupt the flow. But VAR always will be subject to error, so it doesn’t matter if it is sometimes a bit better than the referee. The game is worse for it, like with the ridiculous delayed offsides. Train the referees and AR’s to be the best they can be, and get on with it.
    I agree 100%. I have been saying this for awhile. Goal line technology is quick and helpful. VAR is killing the game. Get rid of it in MLS especially.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never expected VAR to be used for fouls and offsides. I think those two things are killing the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I never expected VAR to be used for fouls and offsides. I think those two things are killing the game.
    Yes. To Review a red card or a penalty - when the game is already stopped - might have an argument. But everything else, leave it alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes. To Review a red card or a penalty - when the game is already stopped - might have an argument. But everything else, leave it alone.
    The process needs to be simplified. It’s obvious the refs cannot function in the current setup. They can’t even bring consistency to when VAR is used!