Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame to lose the clean sheet but solid performance, we grew into the game after a tough start. Jimenez is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congratulations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game. We need to stay strong at home until Insigne and friends get here. Impressed by Thompson. He wasn't flashy, but did a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid defensively, good counterattacks, Petrasso causing them all sorts of problems, the kids playing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best game in recent memory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Caldwell just won't give it up even though there's a) no way you can see a clip of the heel from those angles and b) the slow motion reverse angle shows him balanced and taking a full extra stride before he suddenly loses balance.

He's... arrhg.
    It was a clear as day no PK.
    Perfect view in 110.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice win boys.

And may I formally apologize...I sat thought the opening day fiasco...and I perhaps in a bit of a pissed off over reaction said I didn't see us winning any games until the Italians come..lol....and now two nice wins. Apology boys...and please lets never speak of this again! ))))

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defense did a really nice job holding shape!!

Great finish by Jesus!

A couple of beautiful reaction saves by Bono!

Fun game to be at!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy was that ever needed. I really, really hope we can keep rolling from this and stay in a playoff position all year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't make it to BMO today.

I nearly smashed my TV listening to that idiot of a colour commentator Caldwell. What an absolute moron.

Oso was MOTM. Jimenez is one solid pickup. Bradley also had a very good game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well deserved victory against a strong squad. Bradley Sr. has them well organized defensively, and we have enough skill to capitalize on the counter, despite our injuries.

Very enjoyable game to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I can forgive Okello for his technical issues, I cannot forgive him for losing physical battles.
    What's maddening about Okello is how physically imposing he looks but how he plays so soft. Equally maddening is Nelson's trait to jog when covering his man (watch a replay of NYC's goal). It's as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, Okello is just… not the one. I understand many will say I’m calling it too early but there’s something about his game that just doesn’t click for me. It feels like he is always looking at the wrong spots to make a pass to, and just very awkward on the ball in general. I never watched him at TFC 2 so I can’t comment on what he looks like against lesser competition but it feels like he adds no new dimension to the team whenever he’s on the field which is insane considering his extremely unique physical traits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great all-around performance. Thompson a very pleasant surprise, much better than his previous sub appearances. I think Oso may be about to have a career year. Jimenez is legit.

Only embarassing performance was from Caldwell really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does Caldwell feel that the Talles Magno play is worthy of a PK, Talles Magno pushes off of the last player then dives, no way being intentional of grounding Talles Magno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Right, but again, someone kicks your foot as your extending it back, your stride is going to be funny on the way down.

Anyway, I admit I might be in the wrong here but that was my honest $0.02 based on what I saw live and through the course of a replay or two.

Cheers
    Saw the replay again. He definitely dove, not sure why I couldn’t see it the first 5 times, haha

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Man, Okello is just… not the one. I understand many will say I’m calling it too early but there’s something about his game that just doesn’t click for me. It feels like he is always looking at the wrong spots to make a pass to, and just very awkward on the ball in general. I never watched him at TFC 2 so I can’t comment on what he looks like against lesser competition but it feels like he adds no new dimension to the team whenever he’s on the field which is insane considering his extremely unique physical traits
    Have to agree. I know it’s an early call but despite all the physical traits the mental approach to the game just isn’t there for me. He defers too often and is incredibly passive. Hot potato’s the ball when in possession too.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-03-2022 at 07:17 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimenez is so so good dude. Can't be beat by anything other than hard, honest defending since if you cheat on technique, he simply uses another part of his toolkit or even passes. He is clearly helping Poz get his touch back too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Another great all-around performance. Thompson a very pleasant surprise, much better than his previous sub appearances. I think Oso may be about to have a career year. Jimenez is legit.

Only embarassing performance was from Caldwell really
    To me, It looked like a few times that Thompson was in a good positional spot, but other players wouldn’t pass to him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thompson was naive defensively a few times - they got around him pretty easily. An adjustment was made to move McNaughton over more & take out that lane. You could see a serious discussion after the first goal between Poz, Salcedo & McNaughton.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The encouraging thing about yesterday, there were at least 3 plays if we were more ruthless on the through balls with the counter and we could have scored more.

Big lineup question for me is where/when does Akinola play? He is not replacing Jimenez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    I'll be the dissenting voice on this one and say I think you're all nuts.

He played well yesterday barring losing possession once in our end.

People think he's weak or frail because he's tall or skinny, but he's largely playing as a number eight, not a centre back. He was muscled off the ball exactly once yesterday, and fouled on the second occasion without a call.

Nope. You're all nuts, and I'll stand by that. He completes quick passes that keep the ball moving, he retains the ball in traffic and he can cover ground quickly.

He's a talented young player and his game still needs work. He has a higher top end, to me, than Jayden Nelsen and on evidence so far, JMR. JMR is five years younger which is why he's such a hot prospect, but he's not as ready for the first team right now as Okello is. Neither is Jayden.

I have zero complaints about Okello, because he's not a number six. I think people have misperceptions about the type of player he should be because he's tall and thin.

EDIT: I'll add that a lot of people here also saw little value in Marky Delgado, who did basically the same job. But we wouldn't have won a title without him. Teams need a guy whose job is just to keep the ball moving between the lines and to retain possession.

He's not a number six. He's a number eight; he connects the lines and he breaks up passing channels.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-03-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    The encouraging thing about yesterday, there were at least 3 plays if we were more ruthless on the through balls with the counter and we could have scored more.

Big lineup question for me is where/when does Akinola play? He is not replacing Jimenez.
    I'd almost say it forces us to play a variation of a 4-3-2-1 if we're going to get both of them on the field, with Pozuelo and Jiminez underneath ...but insigne is a winger, not a wide midfielder, so that doesn't help either.

I'd say you need two top strikers in this league to compete, so he's going to be coming off the bench until the other guy loses his place.

If we had two anchoring midfielders we could play the ol' foot-to-the-floor 4-2-4, but nobody plays that anymore for obvious reasons, and we don't have the personnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be the dissenting voice on this one and say I think you're all nuts.

He played well yesterday barring losing possession once in our end.

People think he's weak or frail because he's tall or skinny, but he's largely playing as a number eight, not a centre back. He was muscled off the ball exactly once yesterday, and fouled on the second occasion without a call.

Nope. You're all nuts, and I'll stand by that. He completes quick passes that keep the ball moving, he retains the ball in traffic and he can cover ground quickly.

He's a talented young player and his game still needs work. He has a higher top end, to me, than Jayden Nelsen and on evidence so far, JMR. JMR is five years younger which is why he's such a hot prospect, but he's not as ready for the first team right now as Okello is. Neither is Jayden.

I have zero complaints about Okello, because he's not a number six. I think people have misperceptions about the type of player he should be because he's tall and thin.

EDIT: I'll add that a lot of people here also saw little value in Marky Delgado, who did basically the same job. But we wouldn't have won a title without him. Teams need a guy whose job is just to keep the ball moving between the lines and to retain possession.

He's not a number six. He's a number eight; he connects the lines and he breaks up passing channels.
    I like this take, that he fulfills Marky’s role, but his decision-making is just not quick enough. His ceiling is insane but he has not improved game over game yet like some of the other young guys.

On the other hand I can see why JMR is so highly rated, he’s super mobile and possesses good link up ability, as well as a good touch and good instincts. Not surprised at all that Premiership teams are interested because he’s exactly the mold of player you want running up and down the wings in a fast-paced league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all you guys slagging Caldwell. It looks like he had the PK call right. Unless this is just PRO covering things up.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/pro-i...o-fc-and-nycfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    For all you guys slagging Caldwell. It looks like he had the PK call right. Unless this is just PRO covering things up.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/pro-i...o-fc-and-nycfc
    In that clip you can actually see that Thomson's knee clips Rodriguez's foot.

Honestly, VAR owed us one from the calls in our first game, so I think it evens things out now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still looking for that angle that shows a clear PK.

I can see it not being clear & obvious that its not a PK.

But if that was called no PK, those tv angles would not indicate it be turned over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgive me for saying so, because I find analyzing this sort of player to be a bit of a rorschach test, but I have difficulty spotting Okello doing the type of things a number 8 does.

Delgado to the naked eye made a large number of recovery runs at least and progressively carried the ball. He was always the guy who is sorting out odd-balll situations on the field for the team. Okello to me is too passive, he defers to his teammates on almost everything.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-03-2022 at 01:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, Okello is a long term project as a replacement for the mid that turns 30 this year - I remember Osorio making many of the same mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Still looking for that angle that shows a clear PK.

I can see it not being clear & obvious that its not a PK.

But if that was called no PK, those tv angles would not indicate it be turned over.
    The contact isn't definitively what caused him to go down, as he actually trips himself.

But it could be argued that wasn't deliberate and the initial contact changed the angle of his foot enough to make him trip himself.

Either way, you're right, the MLS site story says it wasn't "clear and obvious" so it shouldn't have been overturned. It also says it did reveal "foul contact", so if he'd gone over right away it would've been a good call.