Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Yeah field isnt an Argos issue. But if this keeps up, after the World Cup in 26, i wouldnt be suprised if they switch to turf. MLSE would much prefer an artificial surface, cheaper to maintain, and allows them to use the facility more.
    That’s always been the risk with the Argos. And it’ll be the end of TFC getting serious players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Am I overreacting or is this kind of a concern? That's the second time in four games this has happened
    I dunno. Interesting. But both seemed happy after.

By the way, totally agree with your earlier post. Most fun I have had at a game in a long time. If only Joes was open it would have been perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the stadium speakers at BMO? I can’t make out a word the PA guy is saying, the sound is muzzled. What the hell is going on with this stadium this year ? We have a terrible pitch and a sound system that sounds like crap .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should revive the BMO Field pitch thread...

Interesting from the postgame interviews, that they said the pitch was affecting the way they can play. It was very different from the previous game, where we saw tiki-taka for about two thirds of the match. None of that last night. To me it seemed partly the field and partly the personnel, with two players in particular who hold the ball and slow things down more often.

This winter was definitely worse than average for the field, plus the early start to the season makes it even harder. Should have played at least the first three games away. I just hope the groundskeeper is the best we can get, and that he has all the staff and budget he needs. (The last two years must have been bad for both staffing and budget.) I know he's won awards, but it's a small industry. You can't ask him about anything on Twitter because he'll immediately block you. That kind of thin-skinnedness actually worries me a bit.

The field was already in bad shape last year, despite it getting a longer break than normal from both Argos and TFC games, and despite it being good grass-growing weather at the time. That's why I wonder if there are other reasons in addition to bad weather and early start.

Yes I read the recent Neil Davidson article. One thing unanswered from there, and no journalist asks: why didn't they train under the bubble at Downsview this year? That would have given the pitch at BMO Field more time to recover; and the grounds crew more time before they have to cut the grass and get it ready for play. If the artificial pitch at the training ground is aging, why wasn't it replaced? And are there no grows lights that will work when the wind is above 34 km/h? That's very low for being near the lake, especially if they're trying to wake the grass up early in the year when winds are strong.

Note that in the past they weren't allowed to use any fungicide at BMO Field, so it's an improvement that they can now use some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrasso, Chung, and MacNaughton was solid. A few more games playing consistently like this, and they’ll lock their spots in the starting 11.

Imagine Petrasso playing at his natural LW position, his passing, pace, skills, and soccer IQ is outstanding amongst the academy grads. Exciting player with so much potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Maybe we should revive the BMO Field pitch thread...

Interesting from the postgame interviews, that they said the pitch was affecting the way they can play. It was very different from the previous game, where we saw tiki-taka for about two thirds of the match. None of that last night. To me it seemed partly the field and partly the personnel, with two players in particular who hold the ball and slow things down more often.

This winter was definitely worse than average for the field, plus the early start to the season makes it even harder. Should have played at least the first three games away. I just hope the groundskeeper is the best we can get, and that he has all the staff and budget he needs. (The last two years must have been bad for both staffing and budget.) I know he's won awards, but it's a small industry. You can't ask him about anything on Twitter because he'll immediately block you. That kind of thin-skinnedness actually worries me a bit.

The field was already in bad shape last year, despite it getting a longer break than normal from both Argos and TFC games, and despite it being good grass-growing weather at the time. That's why I wonder if there are other reasons in addition to bad weather and early start.

Yes I read the recent Neil Davidson article. One thing unanswered from there, and no journalist asks: why didn't they train under the bubble at Downsview this year? That would have given the pitch at BMO Field more time to recover; and the grounds crew more time before they have to cut the grass and get it ready for play. If the artificial pitch at the training ground is aging, why wasn't it replaced? And are there no grows lights that will work when the wind is above 34 km/h? That's very low for being near the lake, especially if they're trying to wake the grass up early in the year when winds are strong.

Note that in the past they weren't allowed to use any fungicide at BMO Field, so it's an improvement that they can now use some.
    I’m with you Auzzy: “we can’t use fungicide” sounds like an excuse. They knew that before the winter, and the winter wasn’t that unusual. There is an Argos game in December. First question is, what steps did you take to recover the field from that game? (Didn’t look like any). How did you manage it during the winter? What lessons did you learn?

The comparison to golf courses is a diversion. They have direct results depending on how
    Good and how smart and thorough their groundskeeper is during the winter. About ten years ago a prominent Toronto golf club fired its groundskeeper because the greens were poor after the winter. It was a tough winter, but some other clubs did better. TFC should have the best pitch in the league and questions need to be asked.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting to get tired of the armchair groundskeepers - either do your actual research or post about soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, there was that article. I wasn’t fully convinced, sounded like an excuse. Seems to me the greenskeeper has to share some of the blame. (And the Argos)
    I’m with you Auzzy: “we can’t use fungicide” sounds like an excuse. They knew that before the winter, and the winter wasn’t that unusual. There is an Argos game in December. First question is, what steps did you take to recover the field from that game? (Didn’t look like any). How did you manage it during the winter? What lessons did you learn?

The comparison to golf courses is a diversion. They have direct results depending on how
    Good and how smart and thorough their groundskeeper is during the winter. About ten years ago a prominent Toronto golf club fired its groundskeeper because the greens were poor after the winter. It was a tough winter, but some other clubs did better. TFC should have the best pitch in the league and questions need to be asked.
    In the golfing community, members rave about how great their greenskeeper is ... I remind them that even I can grow grass in between sidewalks. BMO field groundskeeper should be ashamed of himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Starting to get tired of the armchair groundskeepers - either do your actual research or post about soccer.
    It’s an issue raised by the players and the coach in the post game interviews. Fair game for commentary, and it’s not really a requirement on these Boards to be an expert. But here is some research re golf greens https://www.golfcanada.ca/articles/harsh-hand-winter/. Basic conclusion is constantly monitoring conditions and planting the right kind of grass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, very much liking how BB is using youth and veterans. For example, Nelson? although still frustrating at times, is light years ahead of where he was last year. Running around without purpose or effect.

If this is the model going forward I am all in. Experienced spine (Salcedo Bradley Oso Poz Jesus) surrounded by youth. And not the same youth every game. Keep them on their toes.

Need to up our goalkeeping game though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a bit of armchair supposition as to the decision making about practicing on BMO & under the bubble

I seem to remember before the NYRB game, they said the bubble pitch is so bad they preferred BMO. Words to the affect that the bubble pitch needs to be replaced. As pics this weeks showed them under the bubble, looks like that line of thinking has gone away.
    If I had to hazard a guess?
    Team practices on grass everywhere in Pre season.
    BB doesn't like turf under Bubble at training ground.
    Team comes home & BB doesn't want to lose the momentum of practicing on grass & being able to practice the style of how the team wants to play/
    Team practices on BMO & tries for 3 days to see if they can still practice how they want to play
    Can't.
    BMO field staff say practice not helping.
    BB goes "OK, we practice on that piece of garbage turf for now until the outside fields are OK but we are going to install a good turf under that bubble this summer"

BB is a very pragmatic guy for somebody who has strong opinions - its a curious mix.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are always interesting in a "wait, what happened then?" kind of way

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have people forgotten the BMO Field pitch mega thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-thread/page44

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Have people forgotten the BMO Field pitch mega thread?

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...-thread/page44
    We are all aware. But when the coach and former league MVP both say in Post game pressers that the pitch affected the game, surely it’s ok to talk about it here? But if you want us to move threads, we will respect the moderator’s request.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-20-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I avoided this threads as I couldn’t watch the game live. Now that I have, I don’t think the Laryea exit was as devastating as some believed (not me).

The moral of the story; sometime younger/different options can step up when given the chance.

If you re-read these forums you’ll see there are no WB on the team, the youth are garbage, the CPL guys are wasted roster space, O’Neil is at best a backup backup defender (5th) and TFC won’t reach 30 points.

It fun here with all the crazy opinions though so I’m not suggesting to stop. For me I thought the season would be what it is and the mindset of BB in teaching players to think before acting is going to help a younger squad. I don’t think that philosophy works quite as well with older and more established teams so it should work well when the more established players do get here as he won’t have to “teach”, the new guys will just need to fit with what’s already here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB characterized 3 at the back as a response to DC. I wonder if that isn’t a deflection. It’s a better line up given that we have four wingbacks and no full backs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a very entertaining game, basically TFC are a brand new team under a brand new coach, and all the parts are not here yet. I know there are many an armchair manager that will disagree, but TFC are a work in progress right now and my expectations are more realistic.
    That being said, there will be blunders and errors in judgement by our young players.
    I did think that the referee was trying his best to ruin the game.
    A card happy twat with a poor handle on the game, That is my only complaint with this match.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all aware. But when the coach and former league MVP both say in Post game pressers that the pitch affected the game, surely it’s ok to talk about it here? But if you want us to move threads, we will respect the moderator’s request.
    I wasn't requesting a move, it's perfectly legit to discuss it after a game where it's relevant. I was responding to the new idea that we should only discuss football. That isn't how we've discussed things here. We've been discussing the pitch for years!!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I wasn't requesting a move, it's perfectly legit to discuss it after a game where it's relevant. I was responding to the new idea that we should only discuss football. That isn't how we've discussed things here. We've been discussing the pitch for years!!
    Ah! Apologies! And yes. We even discuss the weather….

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah. I have to say Manning’s overall skill running of the club is not great. For an organization like MLSE, that has a lot of leading people on the marketing / fan entertainment side of the business (especially with the raptors), TFC has not kept the same standard.
    What is there to market right now? IMO the PR/Marketing team has done the right thing. kept quiet.

They don't want to shine the spotlight on the club because of where the club is right now. They are a work in progress. You don't big-up a work in progress, There's nothing here - what are you going to sell? JMR? Lucas Petrasso? Sure those are nice things for us to tune in for, but the average joe would look at this team as they are right now and dismiss them.

Better to sell TFC in the summer months after Insigne + others come in and they are fighting for a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What is there to market right now? IMO the PR/Marketing team has done the right thing. kept quiet.

They don't want to shine the spotlight on the club because of where the club is right now. They are a work in progress. You don't big-up a work in progress, There's nothing here - what are you going to sell? JMR? Lucas Petrasso? Sure those are nice things for us to tune in for, but the average joe would look at this team as they are right now and dismiss them.

Better to sell TFC in the summer months after Insigne + others come in and they are fighting for a playoff spot.
    Can’t say I agree. You don’t stop marketing the team because the big signing isn’t going to be here for six months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply don't want to hear armchair opinions. If you're going to talk, talk with evidence or at least reasonable points, not hearsay. Provide educated opinions over "fire the groundskeeper".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I simply don't want to hear armchair opinions. If you're going to talk, talk with evidence or at least reasonable points, not hearsay. Provide educated opinions over "fire the groundskeeper".
    If you don't want to hear armchair opinions, I wouldn't be coming to a discussion board! Lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can’t say I agree. You don’t stop marketing the team because the big signing isn’t going to be here for six months.
    You don't try and sell a half baked product to potential consumers. It will do more damage to your brand than just keeping quiet and waiting for the right moment to spend your marketing $$.

The hardcore fans may not appreciate it, but you are not trying to sell to them, they already bought into this product. You are trying to build awareness with those not engaging in your product. You don't want to sell them a bad product that is only partially started, otherwise when there is something good to sell, they won't buy in.

This is marketing 101 stuff
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-21-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't try and sell a half baked product to potential consumers. It will do more damage to your brand than just keeping quiet and waiting for the right moment to spend your marketing $$.

The hardcore fans may not appreciate it, but you are not trying to sell to them, they already bought into this product. You are trying to build awareness with those not engaging in your product. You don't want to sell them a bad product that is only partially started, otherwise when there is something good to sell, they won't buy in.

This is marketing 101 stuff
    It’s really not.

You’re looking at it very one dimensionally. Which is to say the only thing to sell is a winning product with a big star and to ask people to otherwise pay attention is tantamount to tarnishing your image.

Reasons why people show up to BMO field are varied. The fan experience, a local connection, young talent… any number of things. But you always want to be communicating and thinking about ways to broaden your base and the perceived benefits of the product.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-21-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It’s really not.

You’re looking at it very one dimensionally. Which is to say the only thing to sell is a winning product with a big star and to ask people to otherwise pay attention is tantamount to tarnishing your image.

Reasons why people show up to BMO field are varied. The fan experience, a local connection, young talent… any number of things. But you always want to be communicating and thinking about ways to broaden your base and the perceived benefits of the product.
    This isn't just about the big star and only selling a winning product. It has everything to do with where this team is in the project, They are a raw product still trying to figure out who they are. Even the club keeps telling us this is a work in progress and we need to be patient. There is no consistency on the field. They win 2-1 after getting blown out 4-1 the previous week. There are kids making stupid decisions on the field game in and game out. You don't spend money now to get as many people as you can to watch a team that is mediocre one week and then absolute crap the next. You're more likely to turn people off of the product than you are to bring them on.

A family of 4 looking for entertainment isn't going to find it fun when the team they came to watch gets blown out of the water or are not even competitive on the day - They are not coming back later in the season to see how the team is doing. Their view of the club for this season is that they are crap and It's better to spend their $$$ elsewhere.

A Euro snob who will watch TFC when they are playing well isn't buying into this project. They buy into the final product.

Same with the TV crowd - why tune in to watch a team stumble their way around the field trying to "Find themselves" when you can spend that time on another team up the road who will be competitive.

Even as a supporter I find it hard to stay engaged for a full 90 with this team right now. They have moments of something, but they have been bumbling around more often than not. I'm here for that. I'm here to watch this team grow - the average viewer is not. They don't care about being patient, they care about being entertained and this team is not entertaining yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Don’t think we’re going to see eye-to-eye on this one but respect your opinion as a long time poster. Cheers

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't just about the big star and only selling a winning product. It has everything to do with where this team is in the project, They are a raw product still trying to figure out who they are. Even the club keeps telling us this is a work in progress and we need to be patient. There is no consistency on the field. They win 2-1 after getting blown out 4-1 the previous week. There are kids making stupid decisions on the field game in and game out. You don't spend money now to get as many people as you can to watch a team that is mediocre one week and then absolute crap the next. You're more likely to turn people off of the product than you are to bring them on.

A family of 4 looking for entertainment isn't going to find it fun when the team they came to watch gets blown out of the water or are not even competitive on the day - They are not coming back later in the season to see how the team is doing. Their view of the club for this season is that they are crap and It's better to spend their $$$ elsewhere.

A Euro snob who will watch TFC when they are playing well isn't buying into this project. They buy into the final product.

Same with the TV crowd - why tune in to watch a team stumble their way around the field trying to "Find themselves" when you can spend that time on another team up the road who will be competitive.

Even as a supporter I find it hard to stay engaged for a full 90 with this team right now. They have moments of something, but they have been bumbling around more often than not. I'm here for that. I'm here to watch this team grow - the average viewer is not. They don't care about being patient, they care about being entertained and this team is not entertaining yet.
    Could not agree with you more jabbronies I have been following the Toronto soccer scene for well over 50 years .I spent many nights at Etobicoke centennial, Lamport stadium, varsity stadium following the old NSL teams like Croatia , White eagles Toronto Italia, in all seriousness the 11 that were on the field for TFC Saturday would have there hands full with those Semi-pro sides, What we are watching currently is as you say “ a team stumble there way around the field” Sell this club when Insigne shows until then it would be wise for MLSE stay away from promoting this folly that they are calling professional soccer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jabbronies, I respect the fact that you are a long time poster but fundamentally disagree with you here. There is a genuine youth movement that fans can get behind and follow for years, if they are in at the ground floor. It’s eminently marketable and anyone who was a Jays fan from inception to ‘85 understands that, or a TFC supporter from inception to 2015 for that matter. Later Jays teams took the Star Making Machinery approach and lost a generation.

Also, small Comms matters are being done wrong, and it’s for the same reason - the marketing has been taken over by the Leafs / Raptors team as was announced I think in 2019. It drives me crazy at the games.

We don’t need to be told to raise our scarves during Oh Canada. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to chant the players last names. We invented that! We don’t need to be told to sing Oh Canada - we invented that so shut up Doug and let us sing. Pretty soon the announcer will be telling us what songs to sing and posting “noise” on the Jumbotron like they have to at the Leafs. Sheesh.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-22-2022 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think they can market this team better. The only thing we get is a daily Twitter/Insta post with a generic phrase like "Suns shining!" and pictures of Jayden Nelson, JMR, Noble Okello and Carlos Salcedo.